Knitting (open)

Months had passed. Despite the clear understanding that he had made progress, he felt inadequate. His physical facilities were still shoddy - his eye had not completed knitting, and no one seemed to be able to estimate a return date. For the time being, he kept it patched. Of course, his senses were finely tuned enough that he would not need it, but that was beside the point. His arm was still weak, as well...but at least it was present and functional. All of the writing and sketching he'd been doing was paying off on the fine motor skills. He was well on his way to becoming truly ambidextrous, in fact. The heavy lifting was problematic - he had never been terribly potent in that department for one of his species, and the weakness on that side had pared him back even farther.

He had managed to retain the training and selection of students, leaving most of the day to day to his first crop of students. Under his supervision, of course. Though recovering, he would not be up to the level necessary to push them through exercises. He was unfit.

His mind was still processing through the heaps of old data that the...incident...had provided. As he'd suspected, most of the viable information they'd acquired had led to dead ends. The technical data had been savaged at the time by a masterful individual, that much was clear. Most of the data was of the initial lead up, but some of the visuals and things people had pieced together lead to more information. And slowly his web spiraled farther afield from the events.

The building was, of course, owned by a ghost. The records were all there, but the man was not real. Tracking the identity of the creator through the movements of accounts also proved fruitless. The ghost hadn't made a single transaction since the day of the event. The other side was being cautious. It made sense - they too were in the business of not being known to humans. It didn't make it any less aggravating, though. He had more hope for some of the armaments, but his knowledge of that arena was remarkably limited. Alec had leaned heavily on Ginnie in that department, and this shortcoming burned hollow within him now.

That pain was still too real for him. He hadn't returned to their quarters but once. The smell of them there, together, had reduced him to a weeping mass huddled on the floor. For the most part he had remained in his workshop, locked away with his tools and his clockwork mind, chipping away at the problems plaguing him. How do you find that which does not wish to be found? How do you seek vengeance against a superior foe? How do you...move on?

The last question had been a more recent development, and had hurt to realize. In order to continue on, he had to figure a way to let go. Unwilling, he'd put the question aside and focused on vengeance instead. He recognized it as a conscious choice rather than a reaction, but still recognized the flaw within it. Still, the clan would have need of his paltry talents, and he was obligated to provide them. He would likely die in the course of his duties, but he realized that he didn't mind at present. Especially if it meant the eradication of these hairy beasts.

Body knitting, mind unraveling, plans taking shape before him, Alec took a deep breath and exited his workshop for the first time in weeks. He let his feet guide him through the Domicile...perhaps they knew better than his mind just what needed to be done.

Alec Devereaux 15 years ago
Quite predictably, his feet led him to his door. Their door. Her door. Sighing, he looked down the length of his white clad body at the pale boots.

"You know what? No. Not today, and you knew that when we set out. I am not an idiot, I know I have to deal with it sooner or later, but I will not be dictated as to when by my feet. Show me what I have missed, not what I already know. So hard to find good help."

Shaking his head, he realized he had been speaking aloud. Glancing along the corridor, he confirmed that no one was in the direct vicinity. Time spent

"...in isolation can reduce the..."

...doing it again. Realizing the inherent difficulty he was having, he moved away from the door. Down the hall to the main junction for this floor...then up to the more frequented areas of the upper levels. Most people here were making busy. Turning, he headed to the theater area, and had a seat. Not having anything in particular in mind, he watched the blank screen and replayed all of the details in his mind. Leaning back, he closed his eyes for a moment, stretching bonelessly across the seats, considering the early portion of the event.

Werewolves.

Alec had read up on plenty of folklore, seen plenty of movies and was amused at some of the ideas. Some of the ways to kill werewolves applied to most anything else as well. It chafed that his only reliable source of information thus far had been Ellis, and confirmed one of the few things that most of the stories agreed on. Silver.

Well, some funds were shifted, some investments dissolved, and he had enough silver to equip a small army. Unfortunately, finding the fell creatures was more irritating than finding one of his own kind. There wasn't exactly a handbook for it. He would have to start by watching zoos, tapping into the local forest service's transmissions and records. That would lead to additional information on where wolf spottings and unusual kills were taking place. Did werewolves have to eat meat? When canine, did they retain their faculties? Some information indicated yes, some no. Firsthand experience indicated that some were more aware than others, some more capable. He had to find them before going and bloodying their snouts.

Grinning, he sat forward again, playing it through his imagination.
Simon Huntington 15 years ago
Simon was slumped in his chair, chin in hand, nodding off at his desk. The Domicile was proving to be the only place in the city he could be away from Ellis. She was everywhere he was, whether she knew he noticed her while blended or not. He knew she was there - when she woke in the evening, when she ate her bagel and cream cheese or when she followed him on day to day business. Hell she knew about his day to day business almost before he did. So with great annoyance Simon rested his chin in his hand and huffed.

The computer rotated through its surveillance of the Domicile, registering every being moving in and out of the state of the art facility. The only quarters not monitored visually was his own and Ellis', but since taking over he had heat sensory monitors installed to let him know of anything that moved, even in his own quarters. With reports laid out in front of him, Simon reached out and cycled through some of the monitors when he happened upon a rare sight.

Alec, no doubt in his mourning, had retreated within the confines of his workshop and personal quarters. Simon had not gotten the chance to properly give his condolences to Alec over Ginnie's death, maybe because he was dealing with his own issues. With pensive hazel eyes, Simon watched Alec make his way toward the theater. Simon scratched his chin then pushed away from his desk. Now was as good a time as any to check on his Merc trainer.

As he walked through the corridors Simon slid his hands into the pocket of his trousers, nodding to members as he passed. Rounding a corner he reached his destination and pushed quietly on the theater door, letting himself in. He wasn't trying to sneak up on the man, but he didn't want to intrude on any thoughts Alec might be gathering so with little fanfare Simon descended down the side of the stadium seats.

'I knew I should have came earlier for a better seat.' His voice echoed in the empty hall and with a rare smile Simon held his hand out to a seat one row in front of Alec, silently asking permission to sit with his Trainer.
Eye flicking open at the approaching voice, he straightened slightly in his seat. Replaying the former few seconds, Alec realized that he had heard Simon's approach, but was so intent on the fantastic wolf hunt within his mind that he had not registered the information properly. Perhaps it was time he rejoined his trainees in person. He needed to get back on his own toes before entertaining the genocide of a species.

Sure to present strength, Alec stood smoothly and was surprised to realize that it would not cost him any pain later. His leg had finally healed. Bowing slightly to Simon, he smiled, inviting the Master of the House to a seat in his own theater. Funny how proper etiquette could make a situation somewhat comical, upon examination. Sliding back down into his own chair, Alec shook his head sadly.

"Yes, riveting blockbuster like this one, I find myself impressed that there was even a seat available."

He had dozens of questions that he felt like firing off, but found that he did not know which way to go, and whether really they were ones for Simon. Deciding that it might be best to let the Boss direct the conversation, Alec smiled slightly.
Pulling some slack on his trousers, Simon settled down in the row in front of Alec and looked up at the blank screen. The last time he had been in there was when he had to announce Ellis' death and the details surrounding it. Seeing how she wasn't dead anymore, he found it ironic to be back in the theater discussing death again. He turned toward Alec after a moment and hung his arm over the side.

'Good to see you out and about.' And he meant it - talks with Alec, even official ones, had been few and far between since Ginnie's death. He wasn't sure if Alec even wanted to talk about Ginnie, but he still felt he should say something.

'I never got the chance to tell you how sorry I am about Ginnie. Her loss to the clan is definitely felt.' Simon looked at his fingers, picking at the calluses and finding himself at a loss for words suddenly.
"I..."

Unsure of how to proceed, Alec paused. How do you let go of all of the pain and the frustration? All of the daily talk shows and books that he'd read through said that one should vocalize their emotions, and that getting them out was of great benefit. Shay had worked some on this with him, but generally, he found it difficult. Still, no time like the present. Taking an emotional inventory, Alec smiled weakly.

"Thank you, Simon. I know it is. Still, I appreciate that you have let me know."

Taking a deep breath, Alec decided to open up. One could argue that Simon had a right to know. Trust, however, was the deciding factor. Gazing unblinkingly at the empty screen over Simon's arm, he began to talk.

"At first, it does not seem real...then it becomes...somewhat all consuming. The blind rage I felt in the moment is...was...well...probably the only thing that saved me. Otherwise, I would have lacked the strength to flee with the extent of my wounds. I...I could not get to her fast enough."

His face tightening, a rare glint lit Alec's eye. Something predatory had taken nest in him, and it wished to speak. Looking into Simon, it did so.

"They can be killed, Simon. Do you know? The silver, it works. It slides through their flesh like it was designed just for that purpose. It is somewhat terrible in its efficiency. Their blood is useless, though. Toxic, somehow...we will need to solve that."

Somewhat startled at his own outburst and the venom in his voice, Alec shook himself. Letting loose emotion could be a dangerous game, it seemed. Sometimes the one you expect is slower to stir. Glancing about, he apologized.

"I...I am sorry. Of course you know. You have the debrief, no doubt."

Refocusing on Simon, he continued.

"I have not been able to enter our quarters since the inci...since Ginnie's death. I was unprepared for the scent, above all else. A room is a room, but the scent was still alive in there. It was so pain..."

Closing his eyes for a moment, Alec turned his head slightly away. Angling his head slightly, he jutted his chin and continued.

"...painful. It was like realizing that all of the darkness and hope had left the world, and all that was left was the sun. I felt so squeezed, so drained. I had difficulty getting up and leaving."

Alec shifted uncomfortably, his white leathers squeaking in protest.

"It was worse than in our ICU. There I had the physical pain to distract me. Something else to focus on. At the time, I honestly did not think it could get worse."

Sighing, he recalled the time in recovery. Waves of pain from within and without, crashing against his senses. He had been grateful for his talents once he had healed well enough to exercise control over his sensory input. Blocking out the physical pain had been a two edged blade - without it to focus on, the loss and emotional pain rose to fill the void. There had been days where he had been reduced to the functionality of human infants, mewling and eating and being utterly useless. The thought sickened him. At the same time, it had been a valuable exercise. He knew his own thresholds, and where he had been weak. Knowing that it would never happen again was somehow comforting.

"The nightmares still come, sometimes. You would think one would get used to them. Interesting thing, the brain...forcing us to relive our worst moments again and again. I suppose it makes sense on the grander scale of survival - builds internal callouses to defend against future pain. Still..."

Alec chuckled darkly. The nightmares had varied in content, but all ended with his Ginnie's death, or her corpse blaming him, or being pulled down into a sea of blood, unable to reach her to pull her from the sunlight.

"...pretty inconvenient."
Simon inwardly winced as he watched Alec painfully describe the ripping out of his heart. He could understand the pain he was going through, his own not being that different. It made Simon uncomfortable to compare his pain with Ellis to Alec's genuine love, and loss, for Ginnie. Silently Simon listened as Alec grappled with fury, pain, sorrow and absolute regret.

At the mention of the werewolves weakness he blinked slowly, he had read Alec's summary report of the failed meeting and cursory findings. His Trainer had suffered massive wounds but he wagered they were nothing compared to what he was dealing with emotionally.

Then the mention of nightmares did cause him to openly wince. Guilt was a horrible thing and in Alec's case not at all deserving. Leaning back against the seat he whispered softly after Alec finished.

'I know what you're going through, Alec, and I know saying it doesn't make it easier to bare, but her death is not your fault.' Alec's guilt was a remorseful one, part of the steps to healing whereas Simon's...it was his own.

'I think you're doing the right thing, getting out, moving on and you should...move on. We both know Ginnie would want you to - life is too long to suffer alone, Alec. Believe me when I tell you that.'
Nodding at Simon's assessment, he cricked his neck.

"I know that it was not my fault. I had gone through and done a more thorough assessment than was reasonable for the situation. I had suggested greater care, added focal points. I was at the closest reasonable distance for an extraction, and very little slowed my arrival on site. It does help to hear it from others, though."

At the mention of getting out and moving on, Alec smiled initially...then stiffened. He had not considered that aspect of life, and found it difficult to focus on. He also wondered if that was indeed what Ginnie would have wanted. Cocking his head, he considered - he knew that she had had other physical relationships along her trek, but that he had been only the second emotional one. Was that significant, this separation of emotion and physicality?

"I know that she would want me to get back to work, yes. I imagine an eternity alone would be quite unbearable, yes. For the time being Clan and Family will get me by, I am certain. I...I am uncertain. Taking another to bed when I cannot even face the scent on my sheets seems a bit premature. I think I need to recover more sufficiently before I inflict my woes on someone else."

He would have to think on that.
Simon nodded at Alec's mention of another scent in his bed. You never get used to it, he thought to himself but declined to offer. Nodding he dismissed his problems and focused on Alec's. Simon decided to redirect the conversation.

'I was approached by Evenhet the other evening. They had questions about the werewolves. Honestly I was surprised - I have no doubt Anantya hid information but I thought Evenhet would have had a little more than we did, other than our issues with Marthinus and the mall incident we had last Christmas.' Simon turned to face the blank screen again, looking down at his hands.

'They do more than they're admitting though. However I'm at a loss with Ellis and her association with them. This...inbred hate they have for her and I. I don't know what it's from and from what I can tell - which isn't saying much about Ellis - she doesn't know either. We'll have to look into Stafford Enterprises and that one eyed galute Hammerthynn's family a little more.' Simon looked over his shoulder back at Alec.

'Any ideas?'
Alec grinned.

"Nice to know that the Evenhet are in the dark surrounding things as well. Perhaps it will help them warm up to us once we solve the scary dog problem. My real question is how much Anantya knows, and whether they will share with anyone. With the remarkable similarity between some of their abilities and those of these...things...they may be a bit more open with information than usual. Probably not, but if this begins to look like a racial issue, they may become more helpful."

Perhaps they would get lucky and Anantya would share. Alec was not going to hold his breath in that regard. The typical Relic party line seemed to be that the other clans had separated of their own volition, and therefore had to sort their problems out themselves. Unless, of course, one of their clansmen became involved. That was a thought.

"The old timers may be more forthcoming if one of their own somehow became entangled with the situation. We may wish to go through more traditional and useless channels first, but barring that...pull one of theirs in and see how they jump. Even if they do not share the knowledge, we would then have a parakeet in the mine with us. So to speak. All to the better if we find one in our research who is already involved."

Alec had to admit that it felt good spilling some of the thoughts out into the open. The process would likely create additional leads, reveal new options...and get him making some concrete progress. Stafford Enterprises was certainly a starting point, and did indeed provide many, many ideas.

"I imagine all of the low level observation and information gathering is already in place. I also imagine most of the digital data is useless, so we are relying on more traditional means. It could be a long time before a full scale infiltration of their hierarchy gives us any tactical information...but anything about how they operate...even how to track them would be useful. Some good old fashioned industrial espionage could be in order. Raid the hard copy files, let the analysts see what points where."

Usually that would not net the level of information that they were looking for, but could point to shadows of shadows of what the dogs were really about. Besides, it was more exciting than watching some CEO through binoculars and taking notes. Of course, slightly more was at stake, as well.

"We really do not know how entrenched they are, do we?"

Something else was bothering Alec...some little...ah, yes.

"And...I do not wish to touch too heavily on a likely sensitive subject...but...where do we stand, officially, on Ellis? I would like to know unofficially as well...but..."

Simon would offer the information or not. The reality of the situation was complicated. They both knew it. Alec had made many personal modifications to security, the electronic systems were all updated, personnel had changed in many locations...but it was Ellis. She had built the Domicile from the ground down and probably knew more about it than anyone. She could likely bypass measures they had not thought to safeguard against. She seemed to be along for the ride as far as solving the werewolf problem, but it also seemed she was the source. Using her as a bartering chip had an appeal...but for the time being, they needed her, and dealing did not get him the vengeance he desperately desired. At the forefront of her memory or not, she had the knowledge they needed.

Kill the dogs first. Perhaps Ellis would get sorted out along the way. Probably not. Either way, Alec had time to prepare for the day she reached for leadership of the Clan. Or the weather soured and she looked to take Tacharan out wholesale and start anew. Many had left when Simon had stepped up...Alec would have to find out where they all went. It might give a greater picture of what she intended. She was up to something, of that he had no doubt.
Simon stared off into space as Alec shared his thoughts on the werewolves. Anantya more than likely knows something, if not everything about them. The question is - why would they hide the werewolves? How did their history entwine with the vampires because it most certainly had to - why else hide the secret? And why were they choosing now to come out of hiding?

He shrugged,
'They're settled in Nachton, that much is for sure. We just have absolutely no idea how many of them there are. I'm assuming there are packs, right? Are they one large pack or are they segmented?' Simon sighed and made a face. 'Any information we can find out, in any way possible, is the priority.'

Then Alec asked, "And...I do not wish to touch too heavily on a likely sensitive subject...but...where do we stand, officially, on Ellis? I would like to know unofficially as well...but..."

Standing, Simon smoothed out his slacks and looked at Alec directly. 'Right now she's treading on neutral ground. She...just let me worry about Ellis, Alec. If anyone is going to put her down, it'll be me but right now she's not the clan's concern.'

He left it at that and nodded to his Trainer. There was no point in going into details and he didn't feel like explaining himself. A perk from being Leader maybe - but then keeping Ellis out of clan business was now just his problem as well.

((ooc - Leaving, pending response))
Alec nodded.

"The information should start rolling in. Hopefully we will get lucky and they will not be as technically skilled as we are and we will have a broader picture sooner rather than later."

He was not going to hold his breath on that, but it was within the realm of possibility. Especially if they had different cells, some without specialized skills.

"I will also be returning to the field shortly. I am sure that people have things under control, but I would like to get my own hands a little dirty on this project."

He did not need to explain the therapeutic benefits of violence. It was a time honored Tacharan tradition. Do unto others before they can do unto you.

Cocking his head at Simon's response about Ellis, he listened before nodding. She was doing it her way, apparently, and all for the better. Alec could not think of a larger complication than Ellis at present, and knowing that she was still an out...well, a bit of an outsider, had some comforts. Hearing that Simon would handle her was all he needed to know. Oh, Alec's contingencies would still have to be put in place, but at least it would not be an expected task. She had to be up to something, but the trick was always figuring out what it was before she bit you.

"Very well. I will review security and leave the rest to you."

Standing simultaneously with Simon, he smiled, nodding once.

"Thank you for this. Once again, it is appreciated."

((Alec out pending))