A drink to the living (open)

Numb, numb was good right about now and she had that covered on several levels. She'd been in the smoky pub drinking, quite a lot, for some time now but she had two very good reasons for it. It was Giovanni's birthday, Val always had a drink in her maker and former lover's honor on his birthday. She wasn't sure quite what had happened to him, she hadn't heard from him in years, but she'd also not heard he was dead. All was right with her little world if Giovanni was alive and out there somewhere.

The other reason was crumpled and held tightly in her fist. Shamus. They'd killed her Shamus. The man who'd taken an idealistic 'young' hot head in and taught her how to fight, how to try and reclaim what was rightfully Ireland's. She'd come to love and trust him over the years. In fact, he was one of the very -very- few people to whom she'd confided in about her... condition. He'd never exploited it either, that's not to say they hadn't used it for the cause but he'd never taken her for granted. She'd gotten the letter from Declan today. Shamus had been shot and killed during a raid. Some one had sold them out and her mentor had paid a very high price. Ordinarily Val would have been on the first plane back, but Declan assured her both the killer and the traitor had been dealt with.

That left her with nothing to do but mourn. Mourn and celebrate, such a morbid combination; but it worked for her. A drink to the living a toast to the dead she muttered as she signaled for another round. Of course it was a bit odd considered that technically both the people she was drinking to were dead, but it was the thought that counted.

Xeph 15 years ago
It had been a long day and an even longer night. True to his nature, Xeph had spent most of the day at the vet clinic, and then had put in three-quarters of a shift at the hospital as well. He'd foregone driving that morning, so he didn't have to be horribly responsible. It was a nice night, the pub was inviting; he decided to ponder the situation between the Sorensen family and Nikhila's visitors over a cold beer.

Try as he might, Xeph could not fathom what the two had in common. Top it off with the presence of another werewolf saturating Reign's house and yard, and he was doubly confused. It was almost worth checking out again, except he was sure her wolf-friend had picked up his scent by now. From the smell of it, whoever had been frequenting her home had been doing so quite often.

Still, maybe it was worth it to swing by later tonight, on foot, as plain old Dr. Dan. Hell, for all he knew this were had nothing whatsoever to do with the break-in; in fact, it was likely the case. He didn't know many hit-and-run artists who stuck around the scene of the crime for days on end.

Ugh, the entire situation was just unnerving. Xeph accepted his beer from the bartender with a nod and a casual salute, turning to take a healthy swig and looking at the folks around him. There were a few mates over against one wall throwing darts, a couple people scattered here and there in various stages of drunkenness. To his left was a man who had the appearance of a biker, to his right was a redhead who looked like she was long past trying to give the appearance of holding up the bar. She looked up at the same time as he glanced at her, so he just gave her a smile and took another drink.
Iov Hammerthynn 15 years ago
Hammer smoothed down his trimmed beard with his hand as he casually walked down the strip. He was happily fed and currently doing well with his aipa Steyn so a late evening stroll after a good hunt seemed appropriate. The street was filled with patrons coming in and out of local pubs and eateries - the evening air smelled of spring but still had a slight chill to it, enough so that his neatly pressed khaki long sleeve and matching slacks kept the cold at bay.

He was searching for a quiet pub, nothing fancy or teaming with hundreds of people. Relaxation was the word for the night and as he considered his options, one pub in particular stood out. Approaching the door Hammer pushed in, lowering his head out of habit so not to scrap the door frame and immediately zeroed in on his Alpha. For as different as they are, they had quite a few things in common. Walking over to the bar Hammer leaned between the Alpha and a biker, giving a nod to the bartender.

'Pint of lager, please,' he asked quietly and when the bartender pointed to the taps, Hammer shrugged leaving the decision to the man. The biker turned to look at Hammer, who looked back, then thought twice about being shoved into and turned back around.

'Oh, captain, my captain,' Hammer declared to Xeph.
Valentine 15 years ago
At least she was a cheerful drunk, that much Val had going for her... for now. Give it thirty seconds and she might get confrontational but for now she was happy, despite Shamus' death. The bar tender brought her another and she scowled at it, not remembering what she ordered. Oh well didn't matter she decided.

Oh fresh meat, and he was pretty too. Maybe she could get something in her stomach and clear her head a bit. Although she'd probably be damned sloppy hunting right now. Lord she couldn't make up her mind, she hated that. She'd make a decision later.

She tossed a bright smile at him, careful to hide her teeth; even drunk that habit was in-grained in Val. She was -very- careful to only flash her large canines when she wanted to.

"Buy you another, Sunshine?"Â?

Her brogue was rather pronounced, but not over powering and much better than slurring her words.

"I need to make a toast and its better with two."Â?

She added giving him a reason to join her.

He was not bad to look at was he, Val decided. But he also didn't look like the type that had to troll bars to meet women. Of course he could just be out for a beer, that didn't look out of character for him either.
Xeph 15 years ago
Almost simultaneously, Xeph was looking from redhead to biker back to redhead to... Hammer?

"Of all the bars in Nachton," he muttered good-naturedly to his Beta by way of greeting - or something.

Returning the redhead's smile with one of his own, he quickly finished off his beer and said, "By all means."

It wasn't every day a cute woman offered to buy him a beer instead of the other way around. Hammer had a drink in hand as well, so he gave the man a nudge with his elbow and said, "Why not make it three? The more the merrier."
Hammer looked over at the red head and raised his eyebrows at Xeph. 'Taking your meals a little marinated now, are we?'

His pint delivered, Hammer took several large gulps out of his mug and licked the foam off his top lip. The red head raised her drink in a toast, which Hammer reluctantly did for fear of being seen as sociable. Still, he nodded and then took another gulp of his lager, finishing it off. Another older bartender came by, planting her hands on the bar in front of Hammer, waiting for his request.

'Another lager please.'

'Right you are, my love,' she said in a thick cockney accent.

'Oh and whatever these two are having - on my tab.'
Valentine 15 years ago
Oh friends! Val wasn't at all put off by this turn of events, the more the merrier as far as she was concerned. That said she beamed brightly at the new arrival, who had his own appeal.

"Smashing."Â?

This was a new bar tender and just the accent was enough to make Val want to hop the bar and tear the girl's throat out. She muttered in Gaelic 'fucking English pigs' and watched the girl damned close, not trusting her for the moment. It was her kind that had killed Shamus and any number of others. But the drinks were brought and the girl left and Val recovered her good humor.

Now it was supposed to be a drink to the living and then a toast to the dead. But Val felt she had the drink to the living covered, besides it would be a hell of a lot harder to explain her relationship to Giovanni than to Shamus. So a toast to the dead it was.

Solemnly raising her glass she wished her absent friend well.

"To fallen comrades. May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead. God speed Shamus. Sláinte!"�

Her eyes had gotten a bit misty, but Val recovered quickly and drained the pint in one go. She couldn't do less drinking to Shamus' memory.
Xeph 15 years ago
Well between the redhead and Hammer, it looked like his drinks were covered. So Xeph raised his bottle and drank a toast to Shamus, whoever that fine gentleman was.

"Friend of yours?"

Or... perhaps former friend. It had been an odd kind of toast, but by the sound of it this woman's friend had recently passed away. Xeph suddenly had a feeling he might have bitten off more than he could chew. Hopefully he wouldn't end up being the shoulder for this poor drunken sheila to cry on. Then he'd feel obligated to take her home, and there would be questions, and it would be awkward ALL around.

Not that Xeph wasn't a decent sort of fellow, and not that he wouldn't do those things, but damn... he had just meant to stop in for a drink!
Valentine 15 years ago
Val threw her head out and laughed merrily, although she did hide the laugh behind her hand. It was often seen as a modest habit, but it was again a strategy for keeping things covered.

“Shamus would be down right insulted if I called him a friend and I’d rather he’d not haunt me.”

She scowled at the empty glass. She would have ordered another but didn’t want to deal with the Limy again. Not just yet. Where was the cute guy who’d been here an hour ago? Damned shift changes.

“He was something more than that. Ran into a bit of trouble and is no longer with us. Of course, they buried the bastard already so I don’t even get to say good-bye properly. I’m going to miss him a great deal.”

Her own personal little Irish wake right here in this bar. It was going well so far. Again, she teared up a bit, not enough to actually cry but it was noticeable. But Val stubbornly wiped the tears away and found a grin.

“But enough of that. What brought you two fine gentlemen in here.”
Waylon 15 years ago
Waylon walked the down the strip in a bad mood. The last few hours had driven him up the wall and what he needed now was a to get some alcohol in his system. Normally a good fight and feeding was what he would look for in these circumstances, but both of those urges were taken care of last night during a somewhat bloody encounter with a group of street thugs. Waylon could get mean but he did feel like the mess last night went a bit overboard. No, tonight was gonna be just about getting drunk. That would be the ticket.

Coming up on a reasonably calm looking little pub he promptly heel-turned and walked into the wall of smoke and booze. Taking stock of the situation as he entered, Waylon took note of the small groups of people scattered around the room, all looking like they came here for one purpose: to get drunk. And that was something he would gladly partake in.

Heading for the bar, Waylon parked himself next to a slightly wobbly looking redhead with a thick Irish accent finishing up a toast to a fallen comrade. He knew how that felt and decided it would not be prudent to interrupt her and her drinking buddies' remembrance.

Waylon waved down the bartender and let her use her words to find out what he wanted.

"A pitcher of Guinness, one glass please."

When that lovely dark brew came he poured himself a pint and settled as comfortably on his stool as was possible. If all went as planned he'd be on this stool for most of the night.
Hammerthynn blinked his one eye slowly as he listened to the red head whine about her fallen comrade. He wasn't one for toasting the dead, that was more Brig's style. Hammer mourned death quietly and alone. Maybe this was how 'Shamus' wanted to be remembered and with a shrug he accepted the pint that the bartender put in front of him.

As he drank, another patron came up to the bar and ordered. With an expressionless nod Hammer greeted the newcomer and continued to drink his lager in large gulps.
Xeph 15 years ago
The lady didn't seem to want to discuss her fallen.. er, comrade. So Xeph simply went along with her, nodded his head, and answered her question when she changed the subject.

"Well, I just came in for a drink," he said with a cordial grin. "I didn't expect to run into this bastard, but he has a knack for tracking me down."

It was said with a mock salute with his beer bottle in Hammer's direction. Xeph never outwardly showed affection to his Beta... instead he teased mercilessly. It was his style. Hammer understood.

Another man came in and settled himself at the opposite side of the bar that the redhead was on. Xeph included the man in his broad grin. Leaning back against the bar still, he continued to speak to the redhead.

"I'm Xeph, by the way. This gent is Hammerthynn."

Occasionally he ran into someone who made the connection bewteen his nickname, his real name, and his capacity as Stafford's heir... Xeph downplayed it though, and while he was used to being who he was, he wouldn't complain at all if no one mentioned that bit. He avoided socialites and "high society" in general; they all expected him to wear shoes.
Valentine 15 years ago
Either it was the drinks before she ran into these two or it was actually drinking the toast but Val felt, for now, she'd honored Shamus quite enough. The next time she went to Ireland there would be more honoring she was sure. Possibly later tonight as well if she kept up at this pace.

In a slightly playful mood now she deliberately read more into Xeph's statement and cocked a suggestive eyebrow at him about the other tracking him down.

"I didn't think people came into pubs for just a drink any more."Â?

Her tongue flicked out and licked away a drop of beer that had escaped her. Waste not want not after all.

"Lovely. Valentine, Val if you'd rather."Â?

Val's muddled mind was trying to sort out why Xeph looked familiar, or sounded familiar. She prided her self on remembering people and faces and something about him... Ah well how important could it possibly be? Besides, he'd introduced himself so they must not have met before.

Used to a pub culture and people meeting, mixing and mingling over a pint or two, of seven or eight or more in her case, she looked up at the lone wolf with a pitcher of Guinness. At least he knew a good beer when he saw one. She winked at the new guy and nodded he should join them. No sense being all alone when you didn't have to be and if you were out in public, to her mind, you didn't want to be.
Waylon 15 years ago
Though generally not of the sociable character, good beer in his system did tend to bring Waylon out of his shell. Noticing the greetings of the the redheads drinking buddies he quickly returned his own nod and raised his glass to the both of them.

The redhead, Val, gave her own acknowledgement of his presence and nodded in what he assumed was a 'join us' gesture. Waylon chugged down the the last of his first glass, filled it up again, walked over and and set the pitcher between Val and and her slick looking friend.

"Drink up if Guinness is your thing. And don't worry, I ain't slugged from it quite yet." he said with a smirk on his face. "But I should warn ya, after enough of these I tend to not care if someone don't like my germs on the pitcher."

Whelp, there it went, he was already letting loose with his poor sense of humor. With that he offered his hand to the three of them.

"Names Waylon, I hope I ain't interrupting anything."

With that he drug a stool over and took a seat, thinking how uncomfortable it made him to just drop in on an established conversation.
Xeph 15 years ago
Xeph's smile grew. "A lovely name for a lovely lady," he said. Clicheed but true. He never claimed to be any good at this game anyway.

The man on the other side of Valentine apparently went by the name of Waylon. He seemed like a nice enough sort.

"You're not interrupting anything," he said. "In spite of Val's reservations, I actually just came in for a drink."

He flashed his big grim at Val again. "But if that leads to pleasant company, I can roll with it."

Hammer was apparently going to play the strong silent type, but Xeph was used to that. He briefly wondered if the Beta had come in specifically to find him for something, or if he really had just chanced on him here.

"So, having established that I'm just here drinking, Valentine's here to toast a comrade, and Hammerthynn here is just being a social butterfly, what brings you around?

He directed the question to Waylon after a brief smirk in Hammer's direction.
Valentine 15 years ago
Again, Val’s laugh rang out. She was incredibly easy to amuse when drunk.

“A little bit of a smooth tongue you have there. Is there a woman waiting to gouge my eyes out if you keep that up… and I might just let you.”

She blatantly sized him up. Mercy there was a lot of him wasn’t there? She might be a little thing but Val was not at all put off by a challenge.

“Mmmmm no, big good looking fella like you must have at least two or three chickadees chirping after him; so I’ll be watching my back.”

Maybe that was a bit too forward, but it had certainly never stopped her before, why should it stop her now?

If she had been more on her, game Val would have sized Hammerthynn up again. He probably should have been setting off warning bells or at least made her curious. But she wasn’t on her game so all he got was a bright sociable smile. Which was quickly turned on Waylon.

“Good choice, it will put hair on your chest that.”

She let her drink distract her as Xeph asked the same question she would have.
Hammer turned and leaned back, resting his elbow on the top of the bar. He snorted softly at Xeph's introduction and grunted a salutation as he surveyed the room. Not being there on business, and even less so for social reasons, Hammer joined the conversation as much as he usually did...a couple grunts and a wary single eye. However, he figured he would try and be a little more sociable and humor his Alpha.

'Was just looking for a decent pint and a quiet evening. How was I suppose to know that you'd be here cramping my style, Xeph?' With as much as a smile as he could muster (which wasn't much of one at all) he drained his mug again, setting it on the counter.

'Another pint, if you please.'

'Right you are, my love,' answered the bartender again.

Hammerthynn blinked his single eye over at the red head, appraising her assets with slight interest.
Waylon 15 years ago
Waylon took a deep pull on his beer and just shrugged at Xeph's inquiries. "Eh, same old shit, different day."

Letting the man wonder just what the same old shit was, Waylon paused to refill his glass and nodded at the big dude named Hammerthyn's comment.

"You and me both, But the Irish have the tendency to come in and force the unsociable to be sociable" He let a grin play across his face as he shook his head in mock disgust. "Damn them, with their out going attitudes and funny accents."

Hopefully the redhead had a decent sense of humor. Waylon was all about first impressions, despite trying to hide it at every possible encounter, and didn't want to come off looking like a dickhead. Then again, she looked lubed up enough to laugh at just about whatever he said.

Waylon let out a quite snort at Val's comment about Guinness and decided he liked the way this girl thought.

"Yep, it'll do. Wild Turkey's a better producer of chest hair, but it's too early in the night for any of that nonsense just yet."

His pitcher was getting below the half way mark so he motioned for a refill and slouched back on his bar stool.

In the back of his mind Waylon knew he should be watching his back. In this this town it wasn't smart to get too comfortable around people you didn't know, but he figured he could enjoy these folk's company and still keep an eye out for any warning signs.
Xeph 15 years ago
Xeph gave a good laugh at Valentine's words, shaking his head and neither agreeing nor disagreeing with her. She seemed like a nice woman, but you could never tell when one was smashed, could you? And even if Xeph could find the time to actually work at a relationship, he wasn't in the habit of picking women up in bars. Still, her banter was enjoyable, and he wasn't going to stop her any more then she was stopping him.

Hammer's remark from off to his right made him guffaw. "Cramping your style? You have style?" There was a laugh. Xeph had known Hammer his whole life and had never seen the man in a lengthy or meaningful relationship of any sort. Nor were bars Hammer's particular "style" any more han they were Xeph's.

However, the good-natured ribbing between the two men was something that went back at least a couple of decades. Left to his own devices, Xeph most likely would not have taken Hammer as his beta; he'd have asked him to stay with Liam in Canberra. Hammer had followed him though at his mother's request and not only had Xeph grown to accept his company, but he could no longer conceive of a Pack without Hammer.

Turning his amiable grin back to Waylon, he said in his Aussie drawl, "Ah. The old "SOSDD" excuse. I've been there before. I guess I'm there now."

As the conversation quickly shifted completely onto the topic of alcohol, Xeph shook his head once again.

"Put hair on your chest? Wild Turkey's more apt to remove it if you ask me."

He couldn't help it; he was a beer man. Wild Turkey always reminded him vaguely of paint thinner.
Valentine 15 years ago
Val was drunk she wasn’t totally out of it. She did notice Hammerthynn’s look and eyed him speculatively as well. He wasn’t bad looking, but he also didn’t seem like the sort to pick up a stranger in a bar and she wasn’t looking for a date either, so she let her attention drift away.

That damned accent again, it grated on her nerves. It would be very easy to bring out the hostile drunk if this girl didn’t watch herself. Rather than taking out a server she laughed at Waylon’s comment.

“And a damned fine thing we’re like that too. You’d all be lost with out us. But you do have one thing wrong,”

She took a deep drink of her beer and signaled for another, trying to avoid speaking to the English pig.

“You’re the one’s with the funny accents.”

Actually up until that moment Val hadn’t realized how pronounced the her brogue had become. It did that when she was drunk or emotional. It could be both in this case.

“Now what would a lady like me want with hair on her chest? Unless of course your tastes run that way and then who am I to judge?”

She was just playing now, it was as easy to flirt with one as the other and it was all in good fun.

“I once knew a bearded lady, in the circus, and she never seemed wanting for a gentleman caller, some quite handsome. I never did figure out the attraction, I can only speculate there was something beyond the side show that she was quite good at.”
Waylon 15 years ago
Waylon gave out a low chuckle at Xeph's comment on the hair removing qualities of Wild Turkey.

"Yeah, now that I think about it you're probably right. As much as I like that particular brand of poison, I won't deny that it could probably run a large displacement vee eight."

He laughed at the thought of actually running his Roadrunner on the stuff. Damn. He thought, as he suddenly got the hankering to go home and take a spin down the back-roads outside of town. Unconsciously, Waylon's hand twitched almost unnoticeably at the thought of jamming gears and hearing the roar of that big block.

The chuckle turned into a genuine laugh with Val's comment. "No, generally I don't prefer the sort of woman that's got more chest hair than I do." Despite wanting to crack up he forced his face to go completely blank. "Why? Do you have something you're hiding?"

Still staring unblinkingly into the redhead's eye's, Waylon took another deep pull on his his pint. Letting her ponder his playful question, he continued with what he had to say.

"And you know what? I would argue with you about who's got the funny accents, but seeing as I'm surrounded by the Commonwealth I think I'll just say that you're right."

Waylon immediately took a long drag on his beer and snickered behind his glass. That comment aught to make any red blooded Irishman boil at the least. But it was all in good fun and he figured at least Xeph would get a kick out of it.