Don't Do This... (attn: Kem)

Aishe and Kem were having their very first argument. Normally Aishe might have been proud to have progressed so far as a lovers' quarrel, but somehow arguing with Kem was not fun at all.

They were standing in the living room, of all places. Aishe was sitting cross-legged on the sofa and Kem was leaning sullenly against the wide doorframe between that room and the kitchen beyond. He hadn't raised his voice; it wasn't in his nature, but he obviously had his heart set on this one thing and Aishe wasn't going to give it to him.

"I'm not going," she said for what had to have been the fiftieth time.

Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem sighed and hitched himself up on the wall a bit, arms still crossed. He glared at the floor, scuffing the toe of his shoe into the carpet, unwilling to look Aishe in the eyes.

"I'm not asking."

No, he was begging, pleading, about to get down on his damn knees and grovel if this proud, beautiful, loving woman would just do this one thing. He should have known she would receive his request this way. In hindsight, he had known she would receive it this way, which was why he had waited so long to ask it of her.

It didn't mean he'd been any better prepared for the conversation though.
Aishe 15 years ago
"Good, then I won't have to tell you 'no' again!" Aishe snapped back in response, her words slightly clipped and soft but intense nonetheless.

The magazine she'd been reading was set aside, the article on a burial chamber in China all but forgotten. While Kem wouldn't look at her, she was staring hard at him. Everything about him spoke of reluctance. She knew him. Why, then, was he asking this, when it wasn't truly what he wanted?

In her mind she knew the answer. In her head she had an inkling that if their roles were reversed she'd have asked the same of him, but even so she knew his answer would be the same as hers. Would she have taken it any better than he was now?

Aishe wasn't changing her mind. Kem would just have to learn to deal with it.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
He sighed again. He didn't know how to rephrase this request in a way that would get through to her.

"I'm not asking for much, Aishe. I just want you safe, and Liefde is the best place for you right now."

There was too much happening now... trying to hold Evenhet together, werewolves running around Nachton's malls... Kem wouldn't have given it a second thought ordinarily. Now, though, he was in a far more prominent position than he'd ever been and he was mindful of his own vulnerabilities. Namely, one Aishe Nevrat.

"I don't know where things are headed right now. If I manage to find these werewolves and speak to them; if they simply decide to wage war upon anything vampiric... anything is possible right now. And if they come for me, they'll come for you."
Aishe 15 years ago
Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Aishe said, "And that is exactly why I should be with you. I'm working with Security, remember?"

She did understand him, maybe more than he understood himself. "Besides, everything you're worried about is purely supposition! You haven't met any werewolves and you don't know what their purpose is in Nachton. You're jumping at shadows and you don't have any reason to."

She was exaggerating, slightly. Kem was actually demonstrating a commendable amount of foresight, at least in preparing for the worst to happen. But that didn't mean she was going to go cower in a corner just because of a hypothetical situation that might never come to pass. They hadn't had so much as a whiff of trouble from any werewolves, aside from an incident at the mall over Christmas that didn't even involve their Clan!
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
"You're with Security, yes, but you're completely ignoring the fact that you're not just any other Evenhet," Kem said. "If anyone does any research whatsoever, it won't take a rocket scientist to figure out who you are. Liefde is the most secure place you can be. It's close to work and you won't have to walk home or depend on me for a ride."

There was a good deal of truth in that argument, too. Kem's schedule had been growing more and more hectic as he tried to manage Clan business and run the archives. He suspected sooner or later he was going to have to delegate the archives to someone else, but for the time being he was clinging to his job tenaciously.
Aishe 15 years ago
She might not even have argued with him if any of his fears had come to pass so far, but they hadn't and she had seen no signs that they would. As far as Aishe knew, and she figured she probably knew more than she had a right to, there was no danger on the horizon.

"I'm no one," she pointed out. "IF there were some sort of trouble and IF anyone did want to take a shot at Evenhet, they would go for someone far more integral. Dani, maybe, or Artemis. Even Pak. But not me. You yourself have made no enemies. Who would have a grudge against you, Kem? Besides, if everyone knows you're in charge then the safest place for me is with you."

Which is where I plan to be anyway, she added to herself.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Damnit, he hated that Aishe's arguments were logical and made sense. She made him feel like he was just being paranoid, even though he was doing his best to cover all his bases and simply be prepared for whatever might come. And that, to him, meant finding a safe place for Aishe.

"You know I'm going to be a target if anything happens. I never said it would," he added, eager to dispel the feeling that he was indeed jumping at shadows, "but this is the sort of thing that you can't look back and say 'oh if only' when it does happen."

Better safe than sorry, in other words. If she wouldn't agree he'd just have to do it for her.

"I'll see if MARI can find you an available suite at Liefde."

It was a good thing Aishe was the non-violent sort. Judging by the expression on her face that was the wrong thing to say.
Aishe 15 years ago
That was the last straw. Rational thought was coming very close to flying out the window. Narrowing her eyes, Aishe glared back at Kem.

"I said thank you, but no. I am staying here. I'm not going to say it again."

It was time to get right to the heart of the matter. "If I were anyone but myself, you wouldn't be doing this." That wasn't entirely true - she was pretty sure he'd be doing this to Pak as well, but also that Pak probably would have the good sense to hole up in Liefde if there was trouble.

"What's really the point here, Kem? I'm a new vampire? Do you think I don't know my capabilities or my limitations?"

Injured pride had her more upset than she probably should be, but ever since she'd been turned Aishe had been doing her best to make Christian (and the rest of her Clan) proud. She didn't like thinking she was the weak link in any situation.

Had she not been so quick to get defensive, she might have seen beyond that to the true motive.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
At Aishe's words, and at the sudden hurt he could feel from her, the result of their shared emotions, Kem looked up finally. He could see it on her face, and that wasn't what he'd meant to do. In fact, it surprised him to have her misunderstand. She usually knew so much more about his emotions than he did, it was a rarity for her to miss this.

He crossed the room quickly, leaning to place his hands on her shoulders and rectify the situation, make her understand.

"Aishe, that's not it at all."

He hadn't realized it meant so much to her to be accepted, to be good at what she did and what she was. How unlike Aishe, too, to not recognize her own value. Kem was unused to finding insecurity in his lover. She was normally the more confident of the two, the one who let the world take her as she was.

"You are very good at what you do, and you must know that. It's not you I worry for."

Kneeling in front of the couch so he could look her in the eyes at last, he said, "It's me. I can't think if you're in danger."

The idea of something happening to Aishe was constantly on his mind. It was distracting and it was terrifying. For once, Kem had something enjoyable, something very much right in his life, and he was trying hard not to lose it. Bad enough that he had a pretty good chance of screwing up just by being himself, but even worse if someone took it upon themselves to screw it up for him!
Aishe 15 years ago
Kem's words had the opposite effect, now, that they had been having all evening. As he took her shoulders in his hands and made her look up at him, Aishe realized that she had been the one jumping at shadows. Kem's touch was intentional, as was his pushing her to watch him speak. Aishe's strange empathy went to work and she both saw and heard the emotion in his words, knew the truth of what he said.

Sharp-edged shapes in bright red and muddied blue flew from his lips as he spoke; anxiety, fear of the future, things she would have noticed earlier had she not completely misinterpreted Kem's motives right from the outset. Sometimes it felt almost as if she were cheating, being able to read him like this... but other times, like tonight, it was so necessary.

"I'm sorry."

She apologised for her own misunderstanding, for not having realized where he was coming from earlier. This was Kem; of course he had faith in her. He always did, even when she didn't think she deserved it.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
There. Now she truly understood. Now Aishe would realize that Kem simply could not function if he didn't know she was safe, out of harm's way. Shehad done so much for them, to bring them to this point. Now he had to do his part.

Nodding, he brought his forehead close to hers, softly kissed the tip of her nose. She whispered something and he smiled then did a double take.

"What did you say?"

The silence was shattered as Aishe repeated her words. "I'm still not going."

Kem stared at her for a second. "But you have to understand now. You know why..."
Aishe 15 years ago
Well now she had a handle on it, Aishe figured. Which was why she was extra-resolved not to go hide away at Liefde.

"I'm still not going."

She had to say it twice before Kem's silver eyes widened with disbelief. Had he really thought that she would see it his way just because she'd gotten the motive straightened out? If anything she was more resolved than ever.

"I am staying with you, Kem. You can't lock me away because you love me too much to lose me now. You need me, and I need you. No matter what happens, for better or for worse, I'm here now and I'm not going to leave your side."

She shook her head to forestall yet another argument. "I have my own job to do, and you have to let me do it. You would give your life for your Clan. What makes you think me any less loyal? I love Evenhet, and I love you. So whatever trouble comes our way, I'm with you."
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Well... that hadn't gone exactly as he'd planned. But Kem was out of agruments, and Aishe was once again sounding logical, rational, and entirely in the right. She had said exactly what he probably would have said if their roles were reversed. He suppsoed he didn't have to like it, not one bit... but he was fresh out of rebuttals.

He looked at her with a pleading expression. She shook her head at him, standing firm. Kem sighed again.

"If anything happens to you..."
Aishe 15 years ago
She'd won this round. It was evident in Kem's expression, in his eyes. She wasn't going anywhere. Reaching out she hugged him close, glad he wouldn't try to force her to go away.

[If anything happens to you,] she corrected. [Hasn't it occurred to you I'd be just as lost without you?]

His arms gripped her tighter. Of course Kem hadn't thought of it that way. He thought she was so strong, that she would just keep on going if he weren't around. He made her strong and he didn't know it, because he still didn't quite believe in that possibility.

[Let's just make sure nothing happens to either one of us. It's best all around.]

((ooc: Kem and Aishe out))