Making Arrangements...

Ysabel turned to look behind her as their little train entered the courtyard of the modest 8-stall barn on her property. She was in the lead on Vivace, her spirited youngster. Marie was using Ysabel's western saddle, just behind her on Elegy. Ambrose was off to the side, behind her but next to Marie, on Midnight, looking as if he'd been born in the saddle.

All in all, they'd had a fun evening. The sky was clear and the moon was bright, and Ysabel's mounts were more then used to moonlit rides. The trails along her acreage were well-lit, an expensive but necessary luxury, and they were also very well-groomed. Marie was a competent rider, particularly with the rock-solid Elegy beneath her. Ysabel had gotten by with the very occasional tip to keep her heels down, her eyes ahead, her shoulders square. Like any young rider Marie sometimes let her posture slip, but overall she had done very well.

Ysabel had been pleased to find Marie still there after she and Ambrose had woken up earlier. Neither of them required a lot of sleep, but still - Marie had had her chance. Obviously she was beginning to trust them though. She really had no reason not to.

And Belle was seeing things much more clearly today. The best way to protect Marie was to keep her with them. Here, if possible. The house was spacious; small for Ysabel's taste but then again she was used to mansions. She could free up her suite at Heolfor, since her property bordered on the Anantya lands anyway, and stay here with Marie.

It was a good solution. If Marie was afraid or reluctant to go back to her uncle (a mystery she had yet to figure out how to get to the bottom of), she was certainly better off with Ysabel and Ambrose than on the streets.

Now, to figure out how to broach the topic.

Ambrose 15 years ago
He hadn’t even thought to have Midnight brought over, but Belle was always on top of things like that. He’d grown to like the mare a great deal, more than a great deal. Feeling four good legs under him helped him forget he only had one good leg on his own. He never should have given up riding.

The waif was pretty solid in the saddle and it made him grin as she tried hard to keep track of Belle occasionally correcting her and righting herself. If nothing else, the girl had a great desire to please and that was a point in her favor.

On the other hand, Ambrose was sure he’d irritated Belle, at least a little bit, as he’d played with the girl once or twice goading her into giving Elegy his head as he urged Midnight along. Knowing both horses and the trail well he didn’t feel guilty about it. He really didn’t think it could cause any trouble for horse or rider; besides he enjoyed a good gallop and it was evident their new houseguest did too. She hadn’t been lying you could see she was a decent rider and well on her way to being extremely good, if she kept practicing.

He was a good boy though and made sure they both walked back home even if Elegy was too well mannered to bolt home. Getting back to the barn he dismounted. Ambrose was still getting used to mounting and dismounting on the wrong side but Midnight had accepted it quite readily. Quickly tying his appy, he made his way to Belle and placed his hands on her waist to help her down. Belle as usual helped in her own way floating a bit so he didn’t have to manage both their weights.

Turning to help the girl a small abortive ‘Ha’ was muffled in his throat as he watched the little girl lithely hop down from the big horse. She apparently wasn’t a stranger to riding a large horse.

“Easy there cowgirl. It’s a fair way to the ground there.”

He had to force back a smile when the waif blushed at him. OK she was a bit cute, he could see why Belle had taken a liking to her.
Marie 15 years ago
She was still feeling more than a little shy of the two vampires. But she was warming up to them, a little. Ysabel had even let her do some laundry, it felt good to have clean cloths again. Although, she felt more than a little sloppy in comparison to Ysabel; even after laundry the best she could manage was some faded jeans a tee shirt and a button down shirt. She didn’t even have boots, just sneakers. Compared to Ysabel in her ornate habit she was a slug. It didn’t help much that Ysabel was also riding sidesaddle, something Marie had never seen before, and cutting an amazing figure. On the upside of life Ambrose wasn’t dressed all that much differently than she was. He’d even let encouraged her to run a bit.

That perked Marie up almost as much as the horses themselves. She hadn’t been too sure he liked her, actually she still wasn’t sure he –liked- her but at least he didn’t hate her and that was close enough for her. Between Ambrose playing with her and Ysabel trying to keep her riding well, she felt… almost as if she had a family. At least for now, she could pretend any way.

All in all, she was sorry the ride was over. Deciding that Ambrose helping Ysabel down from her horse was incredibly romantic Marie neatly dismounted from her borrowed mount. Elegy was a big horse, but her father’s horse had been as big if not bigger and she had learned how to effectively and gracefully dismount. Even so, she felt herself blush as Ambrose quipped at her.

Rather than rise to his bait she moved to tie Elegy, gently stroke his nose and thank him for the ride before getting a feel for how hot he was. A little warm, but they’d had a nice cool down on the way back in so she started to take off his tack and put it away. She was starting to think that at least one of the two vampires had some money, maybe they’d give her a job. She could sleep in the stables, take care of the horses and do odd jobs. Maybe, -maybe- if she was lucky they’d say yes. She just didn’t know how to bring it up. They’d already been so nice and very generous was it right to ask for more?
Ysabel 15 years ago
Squeezing Ambrose's shoulders happily as he went through the motions of helping her dismount, a feat that would have been impossible by herself if she did not have the ability to glide, Ysabel turned to relieve Vivace of his bridle and then wrapped her slender hand around his muzzle to walk him into the barn. The broodmares inside whickered pleasantly; Adagio shifted in his stall, seeming unhappy that Elegy and Vivace had gotten to go outside and he had not. Ysabel decided to let Marie ride him next time they went out; of the three horses Adagio was the 'middle child' and had taken very well to his training. While Ysabel preferred Elegy, who she'd trained herself as a foal, she also loved Adagio, who was a good middle ground between the younger Vivace and the steady Elegy. He was named so because of his smooth, flowing gaits, even more comfortable than Elegy's.

She kept an eye on Marie as they all untacked their horses, saying nothing as it appeared she was well-versed in how to care for her things, simply offering her a smile of approval any time the girl glanced her way.

When they were finished, she led the way toward the house. It was currently empty, or had been until this evening when Ysabel had been by to make sure everything was in order. A cleaning service came once a month to make sure everything was fresh and clean, and she had hired a college student who took care of the horses daily.

Opening the door, she let Ambrose and Marie into the house. It wasn't by any means small and she preferred something a bit grander, but it was a decent size, more than enough for two (or three) people to get along in.

Leading the way, she brought Marie to the bedroom behind the kitchen, which was fairly private and the more spacious of the two guest rooms.

"Why don't you put your things here," she suggested. "There's a closet there, and the bathroom is through that door there. You should find everything you need in there already."

As Marie explored the area, Ysabel watched with satisfaction. She could see Marie belonging. She hated to think it, because it meant so much responsibility, care, and devotion... but the girl belonged there. Off the streets and someplace safe.

"When you're ready, why don't you come out to the back porch. We'll talk there."

She left the room, not sure what Marie would make of it, but suspecting she might want some time alone, if for no other reason than to stow her belongings and use the facilities.
Marie 15 years ago
Marie hated to leave the horses, it had been so long since she’d been able to ride. The horses themselves were friendly and beautiful but the stable was clean, airy and well lit. When she thought no one was looking she sighed a bit wistfully, sorry to be leaving here. She really was going to have to screw up some courage and ask about a job. They’d probably say no, everyone else did. But she could ask.

Making sure everything was clean and neatly put away and being double sure her mount for the evening was in good shape, she followed the two vampires out and to the house. The house was a bit of a shock to Marie. It was huge and quite stunning to her eyes. Her whole family had lived in something smaller and considerably more modest than this. When Ysabel showed her to a large bedroom Marie understood that she was being invited to stay another night. She practically glowed as she murmured her thanks. Maybe, just –maybe- she’d have a shot at that job after all.

Not wanting to press her luck, she didn’t unpack but she did take a few moments to herself to poke about the room. Eventually flopping on the bed letting her thoughts war with themselves about whether or not to press her luck and ask for a job or just take the past 24 hours or so as a wonderful gift, a reprieve, an oasis.
Ambrose 15 years ago
It was old habit but Ambrose had done his best to fade into the background. For the most part, he was successful too. Part of it was he didn’t want to get between Belle and the girl, the other part was the waif seemed to jump if he opened his big mouth too much.

As Belle wandered off to get the girl settled he ambled off in search of something to drink, he had a feeling he was going to need it. Ah, there … whiskey. As he poured a shot, he wondered if Belle had it on hand and he’d found it or if she’d set that up too. Damned hard to tell with her, she planed ahead as much as he could act on impulse. Taking a stab she wouldn’t mind a glass of wine and the waif might like something too he grab all of the above and juggled them out on to the back porch. Settling himself in a chair and propping his good leg up on a stool, he waited.

Lord, how was he going to ask this with out getting hurt? He had half an idea what Belle was thinking, at least he though he did. Once she was settled as well, he threw caution to the wind and just asked it. There he was doing things impulsively again…

“All right Belle. Spill it. Let’s hear it out loud.”

He could be wrong. Part of he longed to be wrong. But he could be right too, and it wasn’t the worst idea ever. Either way he preferred not to guess any more, he wanted to hear it from her.
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel, settling herself into a half-reclined chaise lounge, nearly purred when Ambrose handed her a glass of wine. Sipping delicately, she arched her brows at him over the rim of the glass.

"I intend to keep her. Surely you don't mean for us to kick her onto the streets."

Swirling her wine, she mused at her lover, for once feeling very much the elder of the two. "She needs a home, and she needs as much of a stable life as she can get. In a few years when she turns eightteen she can wander off if she likes, but for now Nachton is no place for a young girl to be running around unattended."

Of course, she didn't think that was exactly what Ambrose was angling at. With a sigh, she looked out over the pool, enjoying the gentle trickling noises of water.

"I have considered making her my familiar," she admitted, "but I don't know. I haven't had one in a very long time, and I certainly wasn't expecting my next one to be a child."

Giving it a bit more thought, she said, "It really is the safest thing for her. I can make sure she goes to school, gets a proper education, but most of all she'll be safe. She'll learn about us, safely, and she will know when she's in over her head."

Looking back up at Ambrose, she said, "The thing is, how do I go about making her a familiar? What if she doesn't wish to be?"

Ysabel generally viewed her familiars as treasured pets. She couldn't say she didn't see Marie in a very similar light, although as humans went she liked the younger girl immensely so far. Normally she would not have asked; she simply would have made arrangements. But she didn't want to frighten Marie. It would take some fancy footwork... and some pretty words. Although, Marie's experiences had aged her somewhat. She might come to the realization, herself, that being a familiar would be the safest way.

If nothing else, Ysabel reasoned to herself, it was a decent barter chip in exchange for a place to stay.
Ambrose 15 years ago
“Cut me some slack Belle, you know I didn’t mean that. I’m not entirely heartless.”

Ambrose protested. He wasn’t sure what to do with the girl at all. He of all people knew living on the streets just got you into trouble and the waif didn’t deserve that. So far, she seemed a decent sort and it would be nice if she could stay that way.

He nodded some where between accepting and approving at the idea that they’d keep her. He followed her gaze to the pool also enjoying the sound of the water. It made the night… cozier. But he would deny with his dying breath the word ‘cozier’ ever entered his vocabulary in any way shape or form.

The announcement that she was considered making the girl her familiar caused the whiskey to go down the wrong way and Ambrose to cough, a lot. Getting that under control he shook some of the drink off his hands, wiped it off his face and poured another. Yeah he’d seen it coming, or at least had an idea of it but hearing it aloud was still a bit of a shocker.

“Well…” he thought before speaking, it was rare but it had been known to happen, “I suppose if she says no you can still keep her. I think you’ll just need to make her see it’s the safest thing for her. She doesn’t seem stupid. Or you could just do it. Have you ever asked before?”

Ambrose was still too young by clan rules to take a familiar. He wasn’t sure it was something he’d ever do but there were advantages on both sides.
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel felt her lips curve up a bit. "You're not heartless? You could have fooled me." Her tone was deliberately teasing.

She was a little surprised when Ambrose reacted with such shock at her suggestion hat she take Marie as a familiar. It had seemed to her to be the logical thing to do with the girl, for both her safety and theirs, and she had assumed he had reached the same conclusion. But then, she reminded herself, Ambrose was too young to have ever had a familiar before. Perhaps her assumption came from having a great deal more experience in that area.

"I have asked once before," she said slowly, "and it seemed to work well. I think she'll see the logic in it, particularly if I can convince her that we mean her no harm and it won't injure her in any way."

Ysabel was careful in her choice of words. She would have to be; becoming a familiar would not hurt Marie but it would certainly change her. Her familiars had a tendency to become somewhat... absorbed... in Ysabel. Sometimes it was awkward, but Ysabel knew the drill and had a multitude of ways to combat it, as well as a good deal of patience, particularly where children were involved.

Looking at Ambrose, she considered what a good thing it was that Marie was a girl. She didn't want to think of what might have happened if they'd stumbled a cross a destitute young male.
Ambrose 15 years ago
It wasn’t a stupid idea. Nope, no matter how he looked at it, it wasn’t stupid. Just a shock. But the idea didn’t bother Belle, not much, at least not as far as he could tell. How controllable the waif would be, that would be… interesting. It was a hell of a responsibility to take on. Even though the girl would be Belle’s familiar Ambrose realized he’d feel some responsibility for her. God help them all if the waif got any ideas in her head.

Seeing that bastard attacking Belle though, knowing he must have snacked on the girl, it had made Ambrose see red. Even remembering it made him snarl. OK he was willing to risk it, for both their sakes. He wasn’t going to have Belle trying to take care of this girl and not have some sort of bond with the girl. And even Cue Ball must have read the rules and would very probably keep his paws off the girl if she was a familiar.

“All right, you don’t have to convince me. I just needed to hear it out loud once… or twice.”

Hearing the door open, he let the topic drop. It would get brought up again shortly but… well that was Belle’s issue. God knew he’d make a damned fool of himself attempting to make some one a familiar.
Marie 15 years ago
The room was clean, the bed was soft, and Marie thought she might be in heaven. It was odd to feel that way when not long ago a clean house, soft bed, being safe and warm, had been taken for granted and not a luxury. She almost fell asleep right there and then but knew she couldn’t that would be rude and she’d not have guts to ask her question later in the day… or tomorrow night. Vampire hours, it was an odd though.

Slipping from the room out to the porch she very shyly sat down beside Ysabel. Marie had a feeling she had interrupted something and was tempted to excuse herself. Sheer determination kept her there. Taking a deep breath and biting her lip, she decided there was no time like the present. Even if she messed this up maybe, she could still stay the night.

“I wanted to thank you… for every thing you’ve both done. I don’t like to be a bother…”

Her heart was pounding in her chest and she absently started to fidget with a stray lock of hair.

“I was hoping I could maybe ask you for a favor.” She rushed to add. “Its OK if you say no it’s not that big a deal and I know I really shouldn’t ask. I mean you’ve been so nice already.”

Yeah just the difference between sleeping on the street and getting bitten by bad vampires and not… so that worked out to life and death right? Marie made herself stop, to give one or both of them time to say something all the while praying they wouldn’t say no.
Ysabel 15 years ago
Marie's return snapped Ysabel out of her thoughtful air. She watched the girl as she seemed to tiptoe out onto the back porch, sitting on the edge of Ysabel's chaise lounge and looking nothing like the brash youngster who'd bravely called Ambrose a cheap ass the previous night.

Tilting her head, she nodded ever so slightly for Marie to continue, wondering what favor the girl would ask. Money, or a plane ticket somewhere else perhaps? Ysabel didn't know. If Marie wanted to leave though, she wasn't sure how she'd respond. She didn't want her running off again, that was certain.
Marie 15 years ago
Well they hadn't shot her for asking if she could ask. That was promising, wasn't it? Trying to ignore Ambrose, who Marie had still not quite figured out, she held Ysabel's eyes. She would not chicken out. She was brave and tough and all that crap. The worst that would happen is they'd put her back out on the streets and she could handle that. She might try to move, away from a city that had three vampires running around in it but its not like she'd have to file change of address forms or like any one would miss her.

"I was hoping maybe you could give me a job. I'm good with horses. I can keep the stalls mucked out, the tack clean, keep them groomed even exercise them if you wanted me to. I could even run any errands you needed. I work hard and I'm cheap."Â?

She cringed, that came out -really- bad but Marie blundered on.

"I could sleep in the stables, and I'd be out of the way. You'd probably never even see me."Â?

All she wanted was a place to sleep and enough money for food and the laundry mat. If she were careful she could manage more than that but sometimes it was better to reach for a helping hand rather than the stars.
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel's smile grew as she listened to what Marie was asking.

"So let me see if I have it right," she said after the girl was done. "You'd like to stay here?"

It was a rhetorical question. "I don't approve of your staying in the stable," she said. "If you like the room you have now you will keep that one. There's another bedroom behind the garage."

She paused a moment. "But there are things about us you must know. If you want to stay here, you should be bonded with one of us. I am the obvious choice, as I am much older than Ambrose is."

Ysabel didn't add that she was also obviously the one Marie was more attached to. It didn't need saying. In addition, Ambrose was too young to have a familiar by Anantya standards.

"What will happen is you would become my familiar," she said cautiously, not wanting to frighten Marie away by the idea. "This gives you my protection from any other vampire, and it will protect us as well, since you won't have any reason to betray us if you're under our protection. It will not hurt, and it won't change you from who you are."

Well, not exactly. Marie would be very much herself; Ysabel would just become the focus of her world for the duration of their bond.

"If at any point you wish to leave, I will allow it," she added. She wanted Marie to feel like she still had control over the situation. The reality was that she doubted the girl would ever want to break their bond - but should she find something that weakened it and want her freedom, Ysabel would be all right with that as long as she was of an age to do so.

"I don't want to frighten you," she admitted truthfully. "But you've stumbled into a world that is dangerous and secretive, and I don't want to see you hurt. If you really want to leave, I won't try to stop you. But I hope you will understand that this is the safest way for you, and Ambrose and I only want to help you."

Marie was far too astute, though, not to question the benfits for Ysabel. "In return," she said, "I will have someone who can handle any daytime business I need done, someone who can help with the horses, and best of all..." Here she leaned froward a bit, "it has been a very long time since I had a young girl around. I miss it, and I would like your company."

She had said everything that really needed to be said for now. If Marie was willing, this would work out best for all involved. If not... well, Ysabel supposed she could do as she liked anyway, but she preferred Marie to be willing and reasonable.
Marie 15 years ago
Didn't approve? Marie's heart sunk, she'd been foolish to think they'd give her a job it had been some sort of pipe dream. Oh well at least she'd asked.

Wait. Just hold your horses there bucko. This wasn't what she'd first thought. Sweet jumping Jesus they were going to let her stay and in the house too. Marie was quite frankly ecstatic. Even if it was just for a few weeks it would be a few weeks she wouldn't have to panhandle and keep herself away from the pimps and drug dealers. It was very hard to keep from bouncing around but she forced herself to be calm and listen to the rest of it. If she was understanding right there were some catches here. Some of them she didn't quite get either.

Looking slightly puzzled she queried.

"I don't understand what you mean by bonded or familiar. I thought familiars were things witches had?"Â?

Unless you could be a witch AND a vampire Marie was confused; besides, last time she checked she was not a black cat. Although she did appreciate the fact that it was Ysabel saying she should be bonded to her. Something about the word bond and the one legged dude who'd charged in and tried to take out the bald one seemed... wrong.

"I guess I don't understand how it will make me safe either. Other than not having to live on the streets, which I'm not knocking at all. I guess I think I'm missing a few things here."Â?

She frowned. Marie didn't like to seem dumb. She wasn't, at least she didn't think so and she'd always gotten good grades in school but she seemed to be missing a puzzle piece here and it was bugging her. There was more she didn't understand, like why Ysabel was explaining it wouldn't hurt and wouldn't change her. That seemed... odd. But one thing at a time, find out what she was being offered first and -then- get more information.
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel sighed softly. She'd been hoping to avoid explaining too much if this in detail. She did not like the idea of offering free information on vampires to anyone who wasn't already a clan member or willing to become one. But if that was what Marie wanted, then she would give it to her. In retrospect, it was good the girl was asking sensible questions and looking for more information. It would make her a trustworthy familiar. Ysabel could respect good sense.

Folding her hands primly in her lap, Ysabel continued Marie's education as best she could. "Vampires do have familiars," she said. "We live off of blood, it's true, but we do not need to harm or injure anyone to obtain it. Our bites are painless, and we do not require much to sustain ourselves. What happens though, is when a vampire bites the same person several nights in a row, it has an effect on them. It is difficult to explain."

Ysabel gave it some thought, and then continued. "We cannot have children. We can create new vampires, but that is, as you can imagine, a very permanent condition. The other option we have is to make a familiar, someone like family who is bonded to us through our bite. To other vampires, you would be my property, someone they may not touch, injure, bite, or otherwise abuse. To do so would invoke the anger of not just myself, but of my entire family."

She looked at Marie as she spoke, hoping her answers were good enough for the girl. There were certain facets of vampire life she was simply not willing to discuss with someone who wasn't committed to this course of action, such as her Clan, her twin, her mother and father. In addition, her more delicate manners objected to this discussion of biting and feeding in polite company. She viewed it with the sort of discomfort a mother or father might show when having that first "birds and bees" discussion with their offspring.

"You will still be yourself, but you will lose any desire you may have to do me harm, or tell anyone about me. I will not change you in any way but that."

She thought it prudent to avoid mention of the fact that Marie would be very much in her control. Somehow, she couldn't see Marie enjoying that at all. Granted, once the deed was done Marie would be none the wiser, but for the moment Ysabel's objective was to get her to agree to go through with it in the first place.

Clearing her throat, then, she moved on to more mundane matters. "Of course, there are rules you must abide by," she pointed out. "You will clean your room. You will go to school. You will learn to be a proper young lady insofar as you are living under my roof." Her eyes twinkled and she smiled a bit. "We will get you some new clothes, and if you are willing to help with the horses and in the stable on the weekends, I will see what can be done about finding you a proper young lady's horse."

All right, so that last bit was blatant bribery but Ysabel meant it sincerely. She would provide for her familiar in all ways, including a smaller horse if Marie would like one. Clothes, food, education... Ysabel would not shirk her duty to this child one bit. Having a familiar, particularly a young one, was a responsibility she took very seriously. Ysabel studiously avoided Ambrose, who was rolling his eyes nearby.
Marie 15 years ago
Marie absently rubbed her neck. Actually now that Ysabel mentioned it she didn't remember the bite hurting too much, it was more being scared half to death and feeling a bit… a bit like she was being raped. That was enough of course but the of course it would be different with Ysabel, after all she was asking. She frowned a bit at the idea of this… 'effect' she didn't know what to make of that but it sounded a whole lot better than becoming a vampire.

She wrinkled her nose at the use of the word property. That she didn't like, but the way Ysabel said 'other vampires' made Marie think there might be more than three of them running around. She'd been pretty astounded there had been three vampires in the whole world, in fact she was still working on getting that to make sense, but getting the impression there were more… that was damned scary.

"But I don't want to hurt you now."

She squeaked in protest. Really she didn't they'd been nothing but nice to her.

School?! She was going to make her go to school? That was insanely brilliant, Marie could have cried about that instead though she looked down at her cloths. They were clean but… a bit worn and cheap but still as neat as she could manage. Still she tried to straighten the collar of her shirt a bit.

"But I've never been a proper young lady."

The words flew out of her mouth before she could stop them. Marie clasped her hands over her mouth fearing she'd said something very wrong. It couldn't have been two wrong because suddenly Ambrose was laughing, and she didn't quite understand why.

Once he stopped she chewed at her lip a bit, trying to think this through. It really didn't sound like a bad deal, after all she had more blood than she really needed and if she could do something in return for Ysabel… and even Ambrose, that wasn't such a high price was it?

"It really doesn't hurt?"

Hell even if it did, just a little, she'd probably say yes. Marie didn't get the impression Yasbel would enjoy hurting her so… taking a deep breath she nodded.

"It sounds fair. More than fair. I think that it's a good idea."
Ambrose 15 years ago
Belle was miles more patent than he was. Ambrose would have just bitten the girl and had done with it. He'd never had any complaints from his snacks before, of course command helped that but damned it would have helped this too. Fewer questions, less thinking. With out realizing it he found himself rolling his eyes at Belle, get one with it already.

But Belle had her own ways and he let them talk it out with no interruption, at least until the girl said she wasn't a proper young lady. That made him laugh, probably too loudly but it was funny damned it. Prim and proper Belle had managed to find herself the barest of gentlemen and now a waif with no breeding. It was just damned ironic.

"It doesn't hurt. It's not going to be like when Cue Ball bit you. He was out hunting and probably didn't give a damned one way or another. If you decide to be a familiar, it's... more like sharing. Its different and its not a bad thing."

He reassured the girl. He did not, however, go into detail about how it could feel. That would be... in appropriate. He also didn't think he should add that vampire could and did bite each other. Too much of a shock for the girl and way too many more questions to answer.

Ambrose was both surprised, and not surprised when the girl accepted the offer. It did make sense after all. It was also a hell of a lot to take on. Maybe he'd sleep in the stables for a bit.
Ysabel 15 years ago
It was half reason, half manipulation, but Ysabel had acheived her ends through means that were at least agreeable to Marie, and that was important for some reason. She nodded along as Ambrose took over some of the explaining, glad that he was supportive, and interested. The day might come when he had to do this, as well. So as far as she was concerned, they were both learning.

Marie's agreement was good. She looked nervous, but Ysabel couldn't blame her.

"Give me your hand," she demanded gently.

As Marie did so with a look of mingled curiosity and nervousness, Ysabel simply held it softly and smiled reassuringly. "It won't hurt."

With infinite tenderness she brought the girl's wrist to her lips and bit quickly, delicate little fangs easily breaking the young flesh. Blood welled up; Ysabel drank daintily as was her habit.

When she had taken what she needed, Ysabel withdrew and made sure the punctures healed cleanly, then gathered Marie to her. Stroking her hair, she rocked back and forth a bit.

"There now, see? It wasn't bad, was it?"
Marie 15 years ago
Holding out her hand as requested, Marie willed herself not to shake. She couldn’t do a lot about her heart nearly pounding out of her chest though. It wasn’t that she didn’t believe them, she did. She believed it wouldn’t hurt but, it was still scary. Before Ysabel bit her, she squeezed her eyes tight shut.

She hadn’t expected a bite on the wrist, probably one too many horror movies, but she had expected a bite on the neck. That actually might have been easier, she wouldn’t have been able to see that. She flinched very slightly as she felt the skin break, it didn’t hurt no more than getting a shot… not really.

With that realization she slowly opened on eye, every thing looked all right, no blood everywhere. So, she opened her other eye. It was damned strange to watch, knowing what was happening. But she wasn’t scared any more. In fact, she felt sort of safe, lazy and relaxed. This wasn’t bad, it wasn’t at all like the other bite.

Again amazed that the bite healed so fast she sighed and let Ysabel held her. Without thinking about it, she wrapped her arms around Ysabel, hugged her back, and nodded; no, it hadn’t been bad. Maybe it was even a good thing.

((OOC... all three out with permision))