Classified? Private, attn Aishe

It was later than Dani would have liked before she was able to keep her word and phone Aishe, and it might not have happened at all if not for Steven, her new hire. Her instincts had been right on that score, at least - it was wonderful to have someone who, like her, understood the little things.

As soon as she returned from her meeting with Kem, she'd been bombarded with calls, a minor crisis had taken place on the website, and copy for a press release rested ominously on her desk, awaiting proofing while she tried to put out fires. Steven, however, managed to keep one step ahead of her, anticipating her needs so that she wouldn't have to fumble on the phone. He understood her organizational system as though he had been using it his whole life, and so her desk stayed clear even as the PR staff circulated in and out, taking and leaving documents behind.

It was, Dani thought, like having a mini-me.

Finally, crisis averted, she picked up the phone, mouthed an emphatic 'thank you' to Steven even as she waved him away, and dialed. Ever conscientious, Steven closed the door on his way out.

Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe had to admit, while the Security gig wasn't too bad. She supposed in a sense it was a bit like archaeology. She was fusing both careers at the moment, doing a little bit of research for Kem. Happy to do it, too. Kem had been more than a little anxious at the prospect of helping to hold down the fort while Alfarinn was away and it didn't help that now he had an even bigger mess on his plate. So when he'd asked if she knew anything about a chase at the mall a few months ago, she told him she'd look into it.

She had access to most of the files she would need, thanks to Christian, and was busily sorting through them when the phone in the security office rang, making her jump. It would be Dani, most likely. Security was ahving a very quiet night and Kem had told her to expect the woman's call.

Shutting the file cabinet drawer so she wouldn't clip her shin on it, Aishe made her way to the phone and picked it up on the second ring. The extension was from within Meridian, so she dispensed with the formalities.

"Hello?"
Danielle 15 years ago
“Hi Aishe! It’s Dani – I was just wondering if you had a few minutes to talk shop? I talked to Kem earlier, not sure if you’ve seen him recently, but he wanted us to put our heads together…”

Dani could get into more detail if Aishe had no idea what she was talking about, but she also wanted to give the new Evenhet a chance to reschedule if necessary.

She had to press the phone hard against her ear in order to hear the reply – a group of employees had decided to wait outside her door and had taken to talking noisily. Disgruntled, she opened up a drawer and pulled out a tennis ball, throwing it against the window and making the blinds rattle.

Ah, blessed silence.

“…maybe in –your- office?”
Aishe 15 years ago
"Hey Dani."

Aishe began to pile things on top of the desk. Paper files, video footage, miscellaneous doodads she wasn't sure belonged there.

"Kem let me know what was up, I can show you everything I've found so far with MARI's help."

She didn't point out that she and Kem didn't need to see each other to communicate; as if their bond weren't enough Kem's sending assured that they could talk pretty much nonstop if they had to. Aishe didn't think he'd been finished meeting with Dani but thirty seconds before he popped into her head asking for this favor.

She'd gotten right to it, glad for something to do and happy to be able to help.

"I have to admit though, everything I've seen and heard so far is more than just a little unbelievable."

There was a commotion on the other end of the line suddenly. Aishe held the phone away from her ear, looking at it oddly as a loud noise issued forth. Everything died down after that and she cautiously put the receiver back to her ear just in time to catch what Dani said next.

"In here is fine, I'll be here all night."

It wasn't exactly her office, so to speak. Aishe may have been Christian's child, as it were, but that did not give her full access to his fun toys. Some of them... but not all. Even so she thought she'd been able to find enough on the event at the mall to satisfy Dani.
Danielle 15 years ago
“Wonderful – I sort of hit a wall, thank you –so- much for helping.”

Dani couldn’t help but be relieved that Kem had come ahead of her and explained things; not only did that save time, but being the bearer of very strange news could get a little draining. It was nice to be able to sympathize with that overwhelmed feeling instead of needing to be the calm one.

“Oh, Aishe, believe me, I know just how you feel,” she beamed, reaching under her desk to pick up her bag. “I’ll be down in a few minutes – thanks, it’s just a little crazy up here.”

With the phone call taken care of, it was now down to escaping her office. After briefly considering putting on riot gear, she sighed and pulled open the door, holding up her hands before anyone could get too near.

“I’m meeting with Security. That goes on my desk, that goes to Steven, you’re supposed to be getting two more stock images, let’s try the pie graph, not the bar, and, go!”

And so the staff fell away like bowling pins as she plowed her way through the department. Once she made it to the hallway it was better – now she could even get away with taking the stairs, though down wasn’t quite as effective as up. Even so, the alone time and quiet was refreshing, and she breezed into the security department in a considerably better frame of mind.

Knowing better than to burst in on anyone in this team, she knocked politely on the door frame and gave a friendly wave.
Aishe 15 years ago
"Come in!"

The knock at the door came much more quickly than Aishe had expected, and even though she called out, she got up and headed to the door.

"That was fast, Dani - chocolate? I decided this needed chocolate."

She held the bowl of M&M's out to Dani as she opened the door.

"It's just me tonight. Quiet evening for Security. But I think that's for the best; with all the exclaiming I've been doing over these files, no one would have gotten any work done anyway."

She showed Dani to the desk, where she already had two chairs waiting. "Feel free to sort through it. The computer files are pretty much everything MARI could help me locate. I'm not sure there was much I couldn't access. What in particular are you looking for?"

Perhaps Christian had left her access to some fun toys, after all.
Danielle 15 years ago
“Hi Aishe! Yeah, I booked – I just –had- to get out of there.”

She was actually a little short of breath, but caught it quickly enough when there was chocolate to be had.

“Mmm, you are a saint,” she said while taking a few of the delicious candies, popping them into her mouth before they could make a mess.

Aishe’s candor made her smile – Dani appreciated being around someone who could just tell it like it was.

“Yeah, a real eye popper. I never know quite how to spring this one on people, I hope it wasn’t too much of a shock.”

Taking a seat, she gave the desk a once over but turned her attention to Aishe when she asked what they needed.

“Well, let’s see,” she chirped, pulling out her notepad. “If there’s any information on this Nova person – a last name, for instance, that would be helpful. Do we have any idea of how this altercation got started? There are some holes in the story I heard. Any other witnesses?”

She gave a little laugh, realizing she was firing off a lot of questions and hoping they were the right ones. She hoped there was enough good faith here that Aishe would be forthcoming without feeling the need to wait for just the right combination of words, but she could hardly expect a carte blanche for all matters security. An SNL sketch came to mind: ‘What is the one piece of information that would cause the most damage should the terrorists find out?’ She grinned inwardly, seeing the humor in the situation.

“Sorry – one thing at a time would be good.”
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe listened as Dani fired off a round of questions, her hands going into motion even as she absorbed the information.

"Nova Piestewa, Clan Tacharan, right here." She indicated a very thin manila folder. "Everything in the computer is already on the screen, in order of the time the file was entered. The only witnesses were Arin and apprently, Theo, for some of it. But if you look closely at some of these pictures there's yet another person involved. I can't get a good, clear picture and it's hard to tell what side they're on, or even if they're male or female."

Aishe lifted her shoulders; if MARI couldn't sharpen the image any firther, nothing she could do would accomplish that feat. "Not much to go on, but a potential witness nonetheless. Arin would know, I imagine, but this Nova person might as well."

As Dani apologised, Aishe laughed and shook her head, dark hair rippling down her back. "No worries. Kem told me what to expect so I tried to have it ready for you. Unfortunately I'm not sure there's much to build on."

Remembering something, she did click the mouse button and bring up a second set of files. "While I was waiting, I did some digging, again with MARI's help. I've been reading some, I hope you don't mind. But in this folder are all the records we have regarding any kind of werewolf sighting, communication, or activity in the past several hundred years. I think that's the part that's so unbelievable."

Grinning, she said, "And I thought vampires were enough."
Danielle 15 years ago
“Piestewa...now why does that sound familiar?”

There was too much on Dani's mind to nail down the name, but she thought she'd heard it before. Well, in any case she had a last name and hopefully a little more to go on as far as finding the Tacharan.

She continued to let Aishe drive while she studied the photos of the potential witness. Frowning, she shook her head at the suggestion that Arin might know who this additional person was.
“He didn't mention anyone else...I think Nova is our best bet.” It was a shame they couldn't get a clearer look but they would work with what they had. Scrolling through the surveillance photos garnered nothing – just Nova and Simon, apparently shopping, then disappearing into some construction. Arin followed soon after, but no one appeared to be in danger just yet. And then there was this one, in the shadows. Dani had a feeling that they'd be getting more questions than answers for quite a while yet, and she might as well get used to it.

“Wow,” she muttered as Aishe pulled up the folder of past records. Her eyes scanned the files with interest, and she nodded in understanding. “No, goodness, I don't mind at all. May I?,” she inquired before clicking a file and scanning the summary. It was easy to see, as she browsed, how the truth about werewolves could have been buried – many of the reports were really half-accounts with plenty of room for suspicion – but she couldn't get over her sense of awe at the stories that in one way or another corroborated her new knowledge - the existence of another species. “Wow.”

Shaking her head, she gave another light laugh. “You're telling me! This is great, Aishe, thanks so much for pulling all of this together. I know Kem will be very interested, too.” She thought for a moment, then continued, “I think what we need is a werewolf synopsis – a condensed version of all this information, something a committee could easily reference and dig into deeper as needed.” Going on, she explained, “We're looking to build a team of 'werewolf experts'.” That sounded odd when said out loud, but she went on. “People who can arm our diplomats with information, warn the clan of potential threats, answer technical questions, things like that. Of course, there's not much information to build on yet, but there will be.”
Aishe 15 years ago
"All right," Aishe said, trying to formulate a plan of attack in her head. "I'll see what I can find out about Nova for you, if you like." That shouldn't be horribly difficult. In fact, Aishe might even be able to give Alec a call and see if he could help arrange a meeting. "I have a friend in Tacharan who may be able to get the ball rolling, if you'd like me to try."

As Dani exclaimed over the histories Aishe had found, she found herself nodding along with the woman's surprise. Aishe had thought she'd found the completely unbelievable when she's discovered the history of Kem's creation chiseled into a temple wall... but apparently wonders never did cease.

"I've been updating him as I go," she pointed out to Dani. "I know he's been short on time, so I've been dropping facts into his head when I find something good. I've got another bit here," she tapped a small pile off to the side, "that I'll bring home this morning for him to read himself." She gestured to the computer. "It's all printouts of relevant information I found in those files."

Unsure if Dani was requesting that she work on such a werewolf "synopsis," Aishe nonetheless began to note down the various items as Dani mentioned them. "I can get a start on that if you like," she offered. With a little grin she repeated, "really slow night in Security."

If Dani had it in mind to delegate that task elsewhere, Aishe could at least send the necessary information where it was needed.
Danielle 15 years ago
Pleased with their progress on the Nova front so far, Dani nodded eagerly at Aishe's offer of more assistance.

"Yes, thank you, I'd much rather arrange something friendly than just call her out of the blue."

Perhaps they'd be better able to get the information they needed by using Aishe's connection, but Dani also thought it would be safer to go with a less confrontational approach, knowing how easy it would be to provoke hostilities over this.

She grinned when Aishe explained that she was pretty much continuously keeping Kem up to date. "Oh, well, I didn't want to assume anything..." It was actually a pet peeve of hers, when people just supposed that anything she knew, her significant other also knew. At least, it was a pet peeve when she had a significant other.

Delighted that Aishe seemed interested in taking up the reins on werewolf information, she nodded happily at her offer. It wasn't her intention to 'rope someone in' who really didn't have the time or care about this stuff, but she was certainly willing to take offers and run with them. Sometimes that quality made her a difficult person to say no to, but Dani imagined that was part of her charm.

"Oh, bless you, that would be so helpful! Just let me know if you need a person and I'll send you someone." She grinned. "I have people."

Thinking out loud, she went on, "Alright, so we have Kem from Leadership, you from security, me from PR, might need someone from IT to get with MARI and make sure information is secure but accessible...it's a start!"

She gestured to the desk and asked, with a slightly apprehensive air, "Okay, what am I allowed to take with me?" Grinning, she explained herself. "Sorry, it's not like I'm new to having access to secret information - I just don't know what we have figured out for werewolves in particular. I guess that would be a good question for you - what are we 'going public' with? Internally, of course. I'm not saying let's send out a memo, but how much do we want to tell our fellow clanmates?"
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe was already prioritizing as Dani listed things that needed to be done. She hadn't spoken to Alec in quite some time, but she could give him a call and see how he was doing. If he could get her in touch with Nova in a friendly way, all the better. Maybe he even had some useful information himself. She couldn't be positive, but she didn't think he'd mind sharing.

She couldn't help laughing at Dani's relief and her offer of a person to help. "I should be okay," she said. "College research and all that... I'm used to working under pressure with a deadline. but if I get overwhelmed I'll ask for help."

Truth be told, Aishe was quite happy. She was not a leader. She preferred being the worker-ant, knowing her job and carrying it out as best she could. Everything Dani was asking of her was right up her alley.

"You can take any of this you like," she answered the next question. "I've made copies of all the pertinent information. Oh - except this, and this..." She removed two small folders from the stack, the ones she'd been fishing around for when Dani had knocked. "I'll copy them and send them along soon. Everything that was on a computer file has been copied and sent to your inbox."

The last one, though, she held her hands up to forestall. What to go public with in Evenhet? She couldn't make that decision. "I'll pass that one on to Kem, how about? Do you mind if he gets back to you himself? I don't think I'm qualified to make that call." She grinned. "You know... still new here and all. I'll ask Kem to get in touch," she tapped her finger to the side of her head, "if you don't mind that way. It's more efficient. Then you and he can powwow together on that point and let me know what you decide. Will that work?"

She understood where Dani was coming from, but Aishe didn't think she could rightly determine what should and should not be clan common knowledge, Security or not. If Kem and Dani could give her a working guideline for what to let out and what to lock down, she could handle it... but decisions like that made her wish for Chris' guidance.

"I hope you don't mind. I just... don't want to presume."

Aishe was still very new to Evenhet, and the vampire community in general. She didn't want to step on anyone's toes. She was very aware that her own creator was the head of Security, and now her lover was the interim clan-leader. If anything, that made her slightly more inclined to stay in the background and downplay her own presence.
Danielle 15 years ago
"That's beautiful, Aishe," Dani said as she gathered together the appointed folders and slid them carefully into her tote. "I really appreciate you doing all of this - did I mention that already?" Grinning self-depreciatingly, she explained, "Things have just been so nuts...I guess it's a chance for the cream to float to the top though."

She couldn't help wincing when Aishe explained that her question was a bit above her paygrade. Duh. She'd made the exact mistake that she'd just mentally peeved against, and spoken to her as though she were Christian. Thinking a face palm could be misinterpreted, she likewise put her hands up, shaking her head.

"Oh of course! That's completely fine."

It was funny, she thought, how groups of people formed their own little languages - she of course knew exactly what Aishe meant by the gesture to her head, but would anyone else have understood? She wished she could take the time to wonder what else was 'an Evenhet thing, you wouldn't understand,' but that would probably push something important out of her head. "I can work with that," she affirmed, truthfully - there was no denying that mind to mind communication was simple and efficient, and she was going to drop everything anyway to talk to Kem if he called, texted, emailed, sent smoke signals...she had to repress a smile at the mental image of the tall blonde waving semaphore flags, wondering where that bout of silliness had come from.

"And of course, you're right - I just hope you don't think I was trying to slip something by you - too much thinking out loud I guess."

"So! If you don't mind, I'm going to try to get myself caught up. I'm sure we'll be in touch very soon to talk more about Nova and the werewolf plan..."

Resisting the urge to add 'that sounds like a band name, she grinned a little and asked, as she put her bag strap over her shoulder, "Unless there was anything else?"
Aishe 15 years ago
Dani was in and out, like always, Aishe thought with a little smile. She wondered if the woman ever took time for herself, to relax. She always seemed to be juggling five hundred different tasks. Oh well... at least she could help out a bit here. MARI kept everything running so smoothly, security didn't always have a lot to do. AIshe had been making work for herself, organizing files, cleaning the office, trying to keep everything in good shape until Chris' return.

She would have to give Alec a call and see if she couldn't manage to get in touch with Nova through him. He might know something about the events at the mall, too. Any information would be a help, she was certain.

As Dani headed out the door, Aishe left her list of things "to do" on the desk and accompanied her out. When the woman asked her if there was anything else, she was about to shake her head and say no, but instead held up one finger.

"Yes, wait just a second."

Running back to the desk she opened the middle left drawer, pulled out the bag of M&Ms she'd been refilling her little desktop bowl with, and returned to Dani, dropping teh bag of goodies into her hand.

"You need it more than I do," she said with a grin. "Let me know what the two of you decide, and I'll take care of things on this end."

((ooc: Aishe out, pending response))
Danielle 15 years ago
Ah, those 'one more things', get you every time! Dani certainly didn't mind another item - it was actually comforting when other people caught something that slipped through the cracks. When Aishe returned with a bag of m&ms, though, she had to laugh. She had missed something - chocolate!

"Oh, goodness, I probably don't...but thank you, I certainly won't say no!"

She had tried to keep a candy bowl in her office, but she'd ended up having to refill it every day. Freakin greedy interns! Dani fully intended to keep this treat to herself.

"We'll be in touch - thanks again!"

/ooc Dani out