Two Vampires and a Little Lady

Belle apparently knew him a little too well. Ambrose was still grumbling and sulking but he was past wanting to shoot something, although the idea of having to climb the stairs to the condo might change that. Shit he didn't care he wanted his arm fixed something nutritious and a shower and if he had to climb a flight of stairs to get that... well he'd climb them.

He'd been a little nervous about Belle driving his precious truck but she'd done a fine job. He'd been able to keep an eye on the waif in the back of the extended cab. He just didn't know what to make of her. Or know what to think of Belle's actions. Time would tell.

Letting the two women out he locked the truck and pulled himself up the stairs after them. Once inside he literally collapsed on the sofa with a muffled sound of discomfort. He was waiting for a clue what to do. Ambrose was out of his league and he knew it.

Marie 15 years ago
Marie had slid into the back of the truck without any effort and rode back there quite comfortably. It was something she’d done hundreds of time before and she took comfort and in the familiarity.

No one spoke much on the ride to Ysabel’s home but that was ok with her. She needed time alone with her thoughts. She was breaking a cardinal rule and allowing herself to be cornered. Even as Ambrose fell onto the furniture in obvious pain, she was plotting escape routes. If push came to shove, how could she get out?

Not setting down her bag or making any effort to make herself at home or even comfortable Marie fidgeted by the door not sure what to do next.

“Thank you… for the ride…”

She looked at the ground, apparently studying her shoes, which Marie noticed with some pleasure were holding up fairly well since she ran away, she mumbled again with out looking up.

“… for stopping him…”
Ysabel 15 years ago
It was very difficult to ignore the obvious and varied disgruntlements of everyone involved. Ysabel tried to focus on first things first. It was obvious that Dayle was not in tonight; Ysabel saw less and less of her twin these days. It did mean, however, that there was a spare bed.

Turning to Marie, she showed her the door to the bathroom. "Why don't you go ahead and shower? Do you know what you want to eat? If you let me know, I'll order for us while you clean up."

Eyeing Marie, she knew Dayle's clothes would be a bit large... the twins had perhaps five or six inches on this little girl, but they weren't too much heavier. A quick trip and a silent apology in Dayle's room had her returning triumphantly with some sweat pants and a t-shirt. They wouldn't fit exactly, but they were clean.

"You can wear these for now if you like. We can look into getting you some new clothes later."

Waiting for Marie to tell her if she had a preference for food, she stood behind Ambrose as he sat on the couch and rested her hand on his good shoulder. She would help him as soon as she could. Once Marie was out of the room they could take care of everything.
Marie 15 years ago
Oh god, a hot shower. She’d be so damned vulnerable, but it had been weeks, months since she’d had a full hot shower. Marie had been making due with improvised sponge baths in public restrooms, once or twice, she’d snuck into gyms or found an amenable shelter but those were always hurried and tense.

She nodded with a faint smile. That would feel so good, really she couldn’t resist and accepted the blessedly clean cloths. Marie was tempted to say nothing, or what ever they wanted when asked about food. But being honest with herself, she found just a little more courage.

“Mexican, anything Mexican.”

That said she quickly shuffled off to the indicated bathroom locking the door behind her, just in case, and set about getting the water as hot as she possibly stand it and scrubbing herself head to toe four or five times over.
Ambrose 15 years ago
It was damned cute the way Belle was taking to this girl. A bit alarming to but mostly cute so he kept from grumbling and just let the two ladies deal with each other.

As the waif disappeared into the bathroom and he heard the door lock Ambrose barked out a short laugh.

“Cute and trusting. Can’t ask for more than that.”

Letting out a pent up breath he leaned up against Belle for a minute.

“She’ll want the real thing you know.”

Meaning the Mexican. Ambrose wasn’t sure how he knew that, probably given the girl’s mouth and attitude earlier this evening. Not being a big eater, but on the few occasions he did feel like chewing rather than biting his tastes did seem to run to Mexican. So, Ambrose gave Belle the name of his favorite joint in Nachton. It wasn’t fancy but it was super authentic, a real mom and pop joint and if you offered something extra they’d deliver.

“Gotta get you cleaned up too.”

He turned his attention to her neck, it seemed healed but damned that bastard spilled a lot of blood. Finding cue ball and shooting him in the head seemed like a damned fine idea, just not right now.

“And something to eat. Playing the hero can take a lot out of you.”

A lopsided ironic grin momentarily twisted his features before he pulled himself to his feet and started to shuffle off towards the blood supply.
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel smiled back at Ambrose. "Give her a door with locks to make her feel safer," she reasoned. "She doesn't know we can get in any time. It's about leaving her some sense of control."

The real thing? Oh... Mexican food. That was something Belle knew absolutely nothing about. "Do you know a good restaurant? And maybe you can recommend something to order. I don't know very much about the cuisine. I'm guessing though, if she's being truthful, she's had little enough pleasure in life for the past few weeks. It won't hurt her to know kindness."

Ysabel didn't think Marie was lying to them. She didn't have the air of a spoiled child running away on a whim. She looked desperate, and hungry, and completely lost. But she had to add that in, if for no other reason than to elt Amber know she hadn't lost her sense of reason over a cute little girl.

She stopped Ambrose before he could get too far. "I'll get it," she offered. "What do we need to do for your arm? It should have healed by now."

Ysabel was no doctor, but she'd seen her fair share of bumps and bruises over the years. If she had to help Ambrose pull his shoulder back into place, she could do it. The pain would be temporary. It would pass.
Ambrose 15 years ago
Having been a runaway himself, well driven from his home after killing some one… close enough… Ambrose nodded. He had a feeling the girl ran for a reason and she’d had it rough. Maybe not quite as bad as he had, but she looked smart and determined and maybe she’d had some luck too.

“Yeah, I’ll take care of the food. My guess is a stick like that can eat twice her weight in rice and beans.”

Especially if she hadn’t had much to eat recently.

Scowling at his arm Ambrose shook his head.

“Cue ball pulled it out of its socket. It should be fine if you just shove it back in although you might have to pull it out some first, its been trying to heal as is. It’ll hurt like hell but should set itself right if we can get it back where it belongs.”
Ysabel 15 years ago
"Just show me what to do."

Now was definitely not the time for maidenly airs. Much as she would have loved to act the part, Ysabel was far more concerned with Ambrose's well-being. So, with a good deal of grunting (mostly on Ambrose's part), squeaking (mostly on her part), and groaning (on both parts), they worked on replacing Amber's shoulder to where it should be.

"Harder Belle."

"I can't push any harder!"

"Get behind me then!"

"Its not the same from back here!"

"Try pulilng it."

"I don't like when it pops out like that!"

Finally, Ambrose collapsed back onto the couch and Ysabel dropped onto the floor in a very unladylike manner, hair and gown quite disheveled, but nodding with satisfaction at Ambrose's newly-repaired arm. After a quick break to catch her nonexistent breath, she clambered to her feet again and fetched some of the bagged blood from her supply. That, she knew, would do much to set them both right.

((ooc: Permission to abuse Ambrose))
Ambrose 15 years ago
You know that all seemed much easier when he was mortal, but then he didn’t heal quite as fast then. Either way he was right, it had hurt like hell. It was already starting to feel better though, things were in the right spot.

After a few exploratory movements with his newly resettled shoulder, he pulled a couple of beer glasses from the kitchen. He was hungry enough to attack the bag like a Capri Sun but that would scare the waif, he was certain.

As Belle set them both up with something to eat, he called for food and ordered enough for five people, five hungry mortals.

Stretching back out on the sofa, glass in hand, he cut to the chase.

“All right, what are you planning to do with her? She ain’t no meal, not if you’re taking this much care of her.”
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel forced herself to drink slowly, although she really didn't want Marie to witness this first thing. Ambrose called and ordered food, then made himself comfortable on the sofa again, looking much improved. His question wasn't unexpected, but Ysabel herself didn't have an answer yet.

Settling herself down beside him she tapped her fingernails against her glass thoughtfully. "I don't know."

Ysabel never made rash decisions. She slept on them and thought about them again afterwards. "All I had thought to do was keep her off the streets, for now. She's just a child."

She considered all the possibilities. "I need to know what it is she's afraid of before I try and send her back home. What if her uncle was abusive? I can't send a little girl back to an abusive guardian. She'd just run away again. At least here, I can take care of her."

There was an idea. Ysabel did have a third home, outside Heolfor. She had her house with her horses just on the back side of the Anantya property. She'd been hiring someone to care for it, and for the horses, but what if Marie could stay there? Ysabel didn't need to live at Heolfor. She liked her suite but for the most part she'd been staying with Ambrose when they were at the Manor.

While the house she'd bought was simpler and smaller than she preferred, she realized she was already thinking of potential additions to it.

"She could live there," she said after voicing her thoughts to Ambrose. "It's far enough away from the city that she can't get into trouble. She'll be well-hidden. She can earn money working with the horses, if she likes."

Was she already thinking of keeping Marie around? Ysabel quailed at the thought of turning the girl out onto the streets again. Better safe with a vampire, than exposed to unknown dangers in the city.

She looked at Ambrose reluctantly, sure he would disapprove but not really willing to consider the alternatives.
Ambrose 15 years ago
“Yeah, she’s a tiny thing.”

Ambrose agreed, but for the most part, he let Belle talk this out herself. Although how long Belle planed on taking care of the waif, that was a question. She’d grow eventually, and then what?

It wasn’t that Ambrose was angling to toss the girl back on the streets but… this was a lot to think about. Although Belle seemed to have a good part of it thought out. That house out back wouldn’t be a bad place to keep a pet. Keep her away from the city and keep her away from the rest of the clan, who might not be too thrilled with a doll of a familiar.

Draining the rest of his glass he nodded.

“That might work, but lets find out about her first and get you cleaned up.”

He wasn’t terribly worried about himself, the shoulder had been the worst of it other than that… well he should get his leg on right but that was pretty much it.

Hearing the water shut off and after a few the door open he nudged Belle to her feet.

“Sounds like it’s your turn. I promise not to scare her too bad.”
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel smiled at Ambrose. Prickly and prone to shoot first and ask questions later, once he got over his initial knee-jerk reaction he was, as usual, supportive of her wishes. She was grateful to him for not shooting her ideas down immediately, and although she still preferred to sleep on it, she was happy he didn't seem to think she was crazy.

Marie finished in the shower and as she emerged, Ysabel disappeared upstairs into her bedroom. She was hoping Ambrose and Marie would make some kind of peace while she washed up. She was tempted to fill the tub up and turn on the jets, but that could wait. She took a hot shower instead, sadly throwing her gown onto the floor; it was beyond repair.

The water flowed pink as her own blood washed off her skin and out of her hair, but her wounds were well on the mend and what had been gaping openings in her skin were now angry red scars, soon to fade to nothing.

Emerging as quickly as she could, Ysabel opted for a simpler style of dress. While she adored the elaborate styles of the Tudor and Elizabethan dynasties, she had to admit that the clothing from her own era was far more practical and easier to manage alone. With that in mind she donned a light blue silken chemise with a silver and blue surcoat, belting it with a chain of silver links. Her hair was quickly done, her fingers deftly forming two small braids at the sides and joining them behind, leaving the rest of her hair to dry into loose curls down her back.

Before leaving her room she pulled open the bottom dresser drawer and withdrew a change of clothes for Amber as well. As she had several changes at his suite in Heolfor, he had a few tucked away here at the condo as well. Leaving the clothing on the edge of the bed where he'd see it, she made sure she'd left he bathroom tidy for him, with everything he'd need well within reach. She might have been working on voicing her opinion more, but that didn't mean she couldn't be thoughful and anticipate his needs.

She traded off with him in the living room; apparently he and Marie hadn't killed each other. They weren't circling each other like wolves, at least. As she heard him head upstairs (reluctantly, but his clothes were there after all), she settled herself down on the couch once more, at the opposite end from where Marie perched.

"Feeling better?"

She certainly looked better at any rate. There was a glass nearby; it looked like she'd found either soda or water.

"Have you given any thought to what you want to do next?" Ysabel was gentle, but quite firm. "You can't go back on the streets. They aren't safe. I'd rather this be the hardest lesson you get."

Truly, she hoped Marie would be reluctant to leave. She just couldn't in good faith send a child out into the night.
Marie 15 years ago
This Ambrose character… he was as bad as the bald one. Marie simply couldn’t get a read on him. He wasn’t mean, didn’t taunt her or anything, he just didn’t talk a lot period apparently. He’d ordered some food, which sounded amazingly good, and brought her a soda without being asked he even put ice in it. But unlike a most adults he didn’t try to weasel information from her, he just waited. At least she supposed waited was the best word for it.

Either way she was happy Ysabel came back and he disappeared to the shower. Marie understood her a lot better, at least she talked.

“Yes, thank you.”

The shower had done wonders for her, both physically and psychologically, she felt cleaner, refreshed and ready to tackle things again.

The next question was harder though and Marie absently chewed on the ice from her drink as she thought.

“Do next? No, I haven’t really thought about it. Until tonight I was managing OK.”

Relatively speaking of course. She hadn’t been assaulted or raped or mugged or wound up dead, that had to count for something.

“I guess I could keep managing for a few years.”

Or forever, at least that’s how it was starting to feel.
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel wasn't going to condescend to the girl. Obviously she was not managing, but Marie had her pride and Ysabel was not going to risk losing her by prickling it. Instead, she simply nodded. She didn't want to mention her house, or anything else. Not until she'd slept on it. She could offer one thing right away though.

"Perhaps while you're considering your next move, you could spend a day or two here."

It was an appealing offer, she knew. A bed, free food, shelter. Those were things Marie seemed to be missing terribly, by the look on her face. "You need not fear myself or Ambrose. We have no desire to hurt you or manipulate you."

But wasn't she manipulating the girl now? Lulling her with food and warmth and security? Ysabel might almost have felt guilty if not for the fact that her intentions were good and she certainly wasn't planning on biting Marie... was she?

Yet another thing to sleep on. For now, a day at a time would probably be good for both of them.
Marie 15 years ago
Marie bit her lip trying to think. No one had offered her a home in a long while, even a temporary one. All the shelters wanted something or wanted to send you back and no one picked up a kid off the street. Hell vampires didn’t pick up a kid off the street. She cut right to the chase.

“Maybe. But why?”

Why would you offer? What’s in it for you? Too often lately, things had a price, a trade off and she wanted to make sure she knew what it was before committing. She didn’t mind paying some kind of a price for a clean comfortable place to sleep the use of a shower and maybe something to eat. Really she didn’t, she just wanted to know what the price was. It was tempting in the extreme.

“I don’t mean to sound ungrateful… I don’t… its just… well…”

She’d gotten used to people being not so nice to her and didn’t know what to make of kindness any more. Yes, that was it.
Ambrose 15 years ago
Thank god for hot water. How had they ever lived with out it? It even made the trip up even –more- stairs worthwhile.

It was a good thing he had some cloths here because the one’s he’d worn to the concert with out for the count, they might be able to save them but he wasn’t counting on it. A hot shower and clean cloths did make him feel better, it also gave him a chance to get his leg on right and that was a good thing. Although he was currently regarding the prosthetic as the enemy and unreliable since he’d been so easily separated from it, it was better than nothing.

Hair still damp he found his way back to the living room just as there was a knock at the door. He waived Belle off, took care of getting the food and paying the driver, and then headed to the kitchen to set it out. There was rice and beans, fresh tortillas, heuvos rancheros, Navajo tacos, machaca burros, ordinary beef tacos, chrizo and potato burros, chicken tacos, a dozen tamales some chicken and some beef, red and green enchilada sauce, salsa, pico de giao and a pile of thin fried sugar wafers. For some odd reason Ambrose had, it in his head the girl might like something sweet. Even if he hadn’t ordered them though, they could all eat full meals for a few days at least. He also set out plates and utensils as well as another soda for the waif before finding himself a beer and pouring it in a fresh glass.

“Chow time!”

He called cheerily before settling back against the fridge. Let the girl have first shot she’s the one who needed the nutrients. However, even he had to admit it smelled –damned- good.
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel regarded Marie seriously. "Why?"

It seemed sad, although she knew the truth of it, that one person offering a kindness to another should need a reason, or have an ulterior motive. She shook her head slowly. "Because you need a roof over your head, and because no one, no matter how old they are, should be in your position. Perhaps also because it was one of my kind who hurt you and frightened you, and you deserve to know that not everyone is like that."

She smiled then. "Does that satisfy you? I don't need anything from you; not for the moment, and I would like to help you. As an adult, it's the least I can do. And if you think twenty-one years is supposed to make someone responsible, you can guess what six hundred will do to a person."

She smelled the air as Ambrose began unpacking something from the bags the delivery man handed him. "I don't suppose you know anything about horses," she mused off-handedly.
Marie 15 years ago
It was very reassuring and more than Marie could have hoped for. She would have jumped up and said yes right on the spot but Ysabel’s declaration of her age totally derailed Marie. Her eyes widened and she swallowed hard.

“You’re six –hundred- years old?”

She asked amazed and tried to process that number. In doing so she ran into another question and worked up the nerve to ask it, even if it was in low tones.

“How old is he then?”

It was very much judging a book by its cover but Ambrose simply looked older than Ysabel. And if she was six hundred Marie figured, Ambrose had to have at least a few more years under his belt.

Not wanting to appear too desperate, but as real food was second on her list after a shower Marie eagerly followed Ysabel into the kitchen. The aromas made her mouth water, home and safe and –good-. Getting a gesture from Ambrose she took to mean help yourself, she practically attacked the food. It having been so long since she could afford seconds Marie managed to get some of everything on her plate, half afraid they might change their minds.

Mouth full of machaca Ysabel’s question brought her up short and Marie nodded, it wasn’t an enthusiastic nod, but it was easy enough to see that it could be, very easily could be. Having some manners, she didn’t talk with her mouthful and managed to finish that bite.

“Yeah. Some, I mean. I used to have my own horse.”

She offered helpfully. It wouldn’t take much more prodding for Marie to expand on that but she was trying to play it cool, and eat.
Ambrose 15 years ago
Ambrose had to choke back a laugh as the waif dug in. Apparently, she was more than a little hungry and willing to drop her shyness at least temporarily. OK even he had to admit it was almost kind of remotely endearing.

Subtly pulling Belle to him, he placed a chaste kiss on her temple. Ambrose still wasn’t 100% sure what she was up to, what her plan was but it was her plan. More than a little tempted to nip her Ambrose suppressed that desire and instead pointed her to the food.

“Try some.”

He couldn’t remember if he’d ever taken her for Mexican or not. He didn’t think so, but she was a woman of the world and must have run into it before.

Even if she hadn’t Ambrose was of the opinion that sharing a meal would make the two of them seem less alien to the girl. With any luck it might settle her down some too, Ambrose still was getting the feeling that she was half ready to bolt.

Ah, horse talk, that even he could handle.

“Did you now?”

Her mouth was apparently full again and all he got was a nod. That was enough for him, food and Belle were more interesting to the waif and that was probably as it should be.
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel really didn't like eating... but she could almost see where Ambrose was going with this angle. Bad enough to have startled Marie with her age, so she would try to maintain some semblance of normalcy for the rest of the evening. She poked gingerly through the food, admitting to herself it did smell good, and assembled a plate with a little bit of everything on it. It helped having Ambrose somewhat restored to his more cuddly self, and his improved mood made her more inclined to try eating when she would normally have declined.

Chuckling at Marie she answered her question as they brought their plates back out to the living room. "He is much younger than I am," she said confidentially. "I'm afraid he likes older women."

She grinned at that; in appearance, Ambrose was certainly the older of the two. Ysabel had been turned when she was barely eightteen and of course maintained her youthful physique. So she didn't doubt that it would be surprising to Marie to know Ambrose was actually the younger of the two by quite a bit.

The topic of horses was a surprising commonality between all three of them. What were the odds? Ysabel mused as she sampled a little of the food off her plate. She sat back and let Marie and Ambrose chat on the topic if they liked, while she nibbled at her food. Maybe it would prove to be a bonding point for the two of them.
Marie 15 years ago
Between mouthfuls Marie simply looked expectantly at Ambrose waiting for an answer to the unasked question. She was curious to know what 'young' was around vampires. She was a little surprised to see both of them eating, but oddly enough it made her feel safer. It was normal to share a meal with people after all.

Nodding to Ambrose she waited for the next question, when nothing came and feeling an odd need to fill the silence Marie blundered on.

"Yeah. Dad was in the Rodeo, so was I. Well... I was learning. Barrel racing. I wasn't bad, Dad was really good though."Â?

She didn't remember -not- being around horses in some way shape or form. Her grandfather swore she had been riding before she could walk.

Her voice grew a little sad as she mentioned her father and the rodeo. She missed it and him. Even though she'd taken something to remember each of her parents by when she ran away, in her father's case on of his belt buckles, that didn't make it any easier. After all she'd not had much time to grieve before running away.

Trying to cover the emotion she gave her attention back to the food.

"Do you two ride then?"Â?