Cole Adams

Basic Information

Birth Name: Cole William Adams
Aliases: None
Place of Birth: Lovell, WY
Age (real / apparent): 37 / 30
Male/Female: Male
Current Occupation: Wildlife Researcher – has just accepted a position at the Nachton Museum of Natural Science
Past Occupation: none

Appearance

Hair Color: dirty blond (you know, that in between shade that isn’t really blond but isn’t dark enough to be even a light brown…)
Length and Style: tries to keep it short, but in constant need of a trim. He just gets distracted…
Eye Color: chocolate brown
Skin Color: healthy tan
Height: 6’1”
Weight: 195
Nationality: American
Race: Werewolf
Body Type: Athletic
Wolf Form: Grey with white points

Description (if an NPC) or name of your creator/gifter(if a PC): Mark Summers – back in Montana with the pack there. Attacking Cole was something of a misunderstanding – Mark was protecting their territory while Cole was researching evidence he had found of large wolves in the area. They’ve since forgiven each other for their parts in that encounter – and are best friends, equals in the pack hierarchy.

Personal Questions

1. Describe your character's personality: Is generally pretty friendly, easy to talk to, the kind of person that inspires trust in others (granted this works best on humans!!). Unless he’s riding the change, prefers to talk himself out of a situation rather than to start shooting or swinging.

2. Describe how your character would appear to a stranger (I.E. typical dress, way they carry themselves etc.) Dresses for comfort and ease of motion – jeans and boots, casual shirt. His clothes are kept until he’s forced to replace them, so they tend to be well washed and soft. As the scarring from his bite is on his calf, he rarely wears shorts, even in the heat of summer. (He has no desire to explain it outside the kumpania)

3. What does your character like? Star Wars junkie, chocolate brownies (the only cooked thing he truly craves – must be the chocolate… ooey gooey goodness!!), ladies in elegant clothing (big-time sucker for), bourbon, reading anything and everything

4. Dislike? Sleeping alone, people that lie or mislead, his truck being a mess, his office being neat, anyone who mistreats animals for any reason

5. (For humans) Describe what abilities you see your character having if they were turned.

6. What are your fears?

1 – That he will forget something important – this has grown out of his distraction flaw and causes him to make lists (though half the time he forgets where he left the current list.)
2 – That he will be seen as a fraud for not having been “born” to the Vyusher R'asa. (See history) Causes him to try a little too hard sometimes or defer just a bit more than he should.
3 – That his birth parents will learn his secret. He has no concerns about future generations – he knows his duty to continue the "family" line, though the thought that his parents will see himself or his future children as monsters gives him daymares at times.

7. What are your character's strengths and weaknesses?

Strengths:

1 – Attention to detail – has practiced utilizing this skill while in wolf form in order to aid in his map-making hobby. It’s hit and miss while under the influence.
2 – Adaptability – adapts to new situations fairly well, is generally not overwhelmed by his surroundings or the people there.
3 – Research, either in libraries or on the net. Has memberships to at least half a dozen societies of this-that-and-the-other that he utilizes, both for his research and for the kumpania.

Weaknesses:

1 – Poor eyesight while in human form (Usually wears contacts, but has a few pairs of glasses floating around, just in case.)
2 – So-so self-defense capabilities. The only thing that saves his butt is having that extra bit of toughness, but in a true fight, he’s better off running like hell.
3 – Doesn’t completely believe that vampires exist or that they are the threat his kin believe them to be. The jury is still out as far as he’s concerned – after all, a few years back he didn’t believe in werewolves either.

Werewolf

Abilities – (Include Tier Points) – 2 leftover

2 - Bloodhound - If this wolf gets their nose stuck in a scent, they'll be able to track for quite some time, even in adverse conditions. All things being equal, this ability works with the same level of effectiveness in human and in wolf form (though the wolf form inherently has the advantage of a keener sense of smell).

2 - Sprint – A wolf with this ability is able to use a short burst of speed and are faster than the average human or werewolf. They can reach a maximum of 80 miles and hour for brief amounts of time. Note: this speed is based on wolf form though they are fast in human form as well.

2 - Jungle Sense – Those with this ability are able to get a sense of the weakness and strength in others. This generally requires some patience and either watching (or if applicable, talking to) the potential target to get a sense of them. The result of this study does not give specifics but will tell the werewolf if the person is a safe target or someone he should not mess with. All things being equal, this ability works with the same level of effectiveness in human and in wolf form (though the wolf form inherently has the advantage of heightened senses relative to the human form).

2 - Lunar Apprentice - When in human form the wolf is able to resist the effects of the full moon for one of the three nights of the full moon. (either the first or the last but not the night of the full moon) and does not change involuntarily for that night.

5 - Balance - The werewolf is gifted with an uncanny grace when transformed. They are easily able to walk on precarious perches such as rope, able to move from tree to tree, and land like a cat in most tumbling situations.

5 - Observant - Werewolves with this ability are able to hear a broader range of sounds at greater distances than the typical wolf, have a strong and relentless sense of smell, and excellent night vision.

Flaws – (Include Tier Points) – 2 left over

2 - Possessive – 'Mine' is your favorite word. Forget loaning your prized possessions out to friends; you have your name on everything you own and don't want other people messing up your stuff. And people better knock before coming into your room, too!

2 - Fire Bug – These werewolves are mesmerized by fire and flickering light.At an early they probably had to be burned more than once to keep from touching it. As adults they simply love watching flames, playing with matches,lighting candles, twirling prisms or watching sunlight move through the trees and are easily distracted by these things around them.

2 - Shoulder Companion – Call it the voice of conscience, reason or a long gone grandmother, for weres with this flaw there is a nagging sense of being watched and judged. These weres get the sense that certain actions aren't approved of and sometimes have to battle their guilt over actions they've taken. Note: This companion could a generic sense of right and wrong or a specific memory of someone such as hearing their mother's voice reminding them not to spoil their dinner, or to straighten out their life.

2 - Superstitious – These weres have a habit of observing minor superstitious practices...just in case. Avoiding cracks, black cats, kissing their dice for luck, etc... They could follow common superstitions or have some of their own such as always wearing a certain shirt when their baseball team plays or feeling that they must prepare for a portion of their job in exactly the same manner each time or risk having it go wrong.

5 - Bloody Menu - The werewolf’s tastes during the change carry over to their human form. Werewolves with this flaw will eat fruits, vegetables, and grain if they have to, but they greatly prefer uncooked meat.

5 - Distracted -There always seems to be a little to much on your mind. You find yourself moving from one task to the next and, with a frustrating face-palm or snap of the fingers, to back to the first task again.

Hobbies & Skills: Camping & hiking, even before the attack. Does a little whittling and fishing. Excellent map-reader and can make a map that is passable and usable by others, though will not be 100% accurate. More like 85-90%. Can cook quite well but, as he really doesn’t like cooked foods anymore, doesn’t usually bother unless he has company.

Cosmetic Traits:
Scarring from attack is a bit worse than would have happened in a ceremonial situation. Cole prefers to keep it covered as he doesn’t care to explain it. Wears contacts or glasses. Also wears his grandfather’s West Point ring on his right ring finger.

Quirks and Habits worthy of mention –
Talks with his hands. Tends to pace and talk to himself when deep in thought or trying to solve a puzzle.

Personal History

From Cole’s personal diary:

History is an interesting thing. We know it’s there; we can even hold extended conversations about it. But that doesn’t mean we understand it, that we’ve grasped the lessons to be learned. Mankind is odd that way. We seem destined to make the same mistakes, over and over… it’s only the details that seem to change…..

Like being in the wrong place at the wrong time… or maybe I really was in the right place? Can’t change what is, and to be honest, I’m not sure I’d want to. All knowledge is worth having, even if at the time, you don’t want it or think it’s necessary. Or are just satisfying a mild curiosity. You never know when some tidbit might save a life… or alter one forever.

I was 23 at the time, studying for a Graduate degree at the University. My only real focus in life was my studies – nothing else came even close on the old list of priorities. Life was a simple round of eat, sleep, study, and attend classes. And on the weekends I did my own form of “field research,” spending my time exploring the countryside, hiking through the mountains.

On one of those rambling walks I found a set of paw prints. Now, running around the woods for any length of time, odds are, you’ll find a set. Nothing about them seemed important at the time, except that they seemed a bit too big for the local wolves. Which sparked my curiosity.

Dangerous thing, curiosity. Can get one into all sorts of trouble…

Took some pictures, made some measurements and noted on my map where I found them. Filed the info somewhere in the back of my mind and continued along my way. A few weeks later I found myself in the same area and decided to do a bit more exploring, see if I could find anything else.

Instead, something found me.

Until the day this entry was written, there was nothing in Cole’s journal that would have seemed odd or unusual for any young man growing up in the Midwest. Cole was typical in every way, just an all American boy. Played sports, got good grades, full scholarship to the University of Montana where he got an undergraduate degree in biology. He wanted to study animals in the wild, especially wolves, someday.

It was a few weeks after this entry was written that Cole learned that he had stumbled into the pack’s territory. And with young to protect, well, they weren’t too happy about his messing around there. What the were that attacked him didn’t know, what no one knew that day, is that Cole was already a carrier for GMV. It took a bit to figure out later where it had come from, but it was eventually determined that his family was one of the “lost ones,” descended unknowing through the generations. DNA tests were quietly done on both parents and it was found that his father was the carrier. That his mother had never been in infected was something of a mystery. It was a direct line of descent – in over 300 years of family genealogy, there were no recorded siblings in his father’s bloodline. Each generation had one child and no others.

After the initial shock wore off, Cole went through a perfectly natural grieving process as it was pretty obvious his options in life had shifted. It took a few years for him to fully adjust to the changes, but adapt he did. That he had no choice but to join the pack of the one who had attacked him was an ironic twist that over time has become something of a running joke. He even came to forgive Mark, as he has learned to value the protectiveness the kumpania has for its own. And Mark forgave him for seemingly threatening their pack.

It took longer to find his place within the kumpania. As he was not truly base-born but not raised within the community with all the rites and discipline inherent to the Vyusher R'asa, he stepped on more than a few toes. His weapon’s training was virtually non-existent outside of hunting rifles and he was pretty much incapable of self-defense of any kind. His first summer spent with the kumpania saw him spending his daylight hours in rigorous physical training, many of his nights becoming the wolf and learning the changes his “gifting” wrought on him. His skills are hard-won, but will never be good enough to put him in the front lines. He spent a lot of time proving himself – but has won a place of respect for his ability to know his environment with a surprising degree of accuracy. It is this ability that makes him a valuable member of any team that is researching or planning an excursion, even if it is iffy whether his actual presence on the outing would be beneficial. His true value, though, has come from his education and the avenues of information that has opened his kumpania to.

Upon completing his graduate degree, he did begin his research into the wild wolves of North America, concerned about the dwindling numbers. At least that’s the story on the surface. In reality, he uses his studies to better understand and protect his brethren from the depredations of ranchers and encroaching humans.

He’s been in the area long enough, though, that people are starting to notice that he doesn’t seem to be aging much. There have been a few too many comments made lately about it, though not in terms of suspicion. Just idle teasing from those that know him (after all, we all know someone that time seems to go gentle on!). As the call has come from Nachton for the kumpania to begin gathering for the upcoming war, the leaders of the kumpania have decided to send Cole to be the forerunner for their group. He has secured a position at the Nachton Museum of Natural History to help get himself settled while waiting for contact to be made with the rest of his kin.

OOC Checklist

Player name (online is fine) - FyreGarnett
Other Characters you play – Trinity, Fiona, Colin
How you came to SA (Other board, friend, etc) – long, long, ago in a galaxy far far away…
Have you read all the Rules? Yepper
Do you understand that this is an adult board with adult content (sometimes graphic and violent in nature)? I hope so!!!
This board is adult only. Are you over the age of 18? Don’t remind me…