Hellbound

Steve Rowland was early. His contact told him to meet him in the alley behind a particular building in the industrial section of town. These alleyways were riddled with thugs, killers, and other unwanted personages, so Steve was understandably unhappy about the situation. However, Steve was trying to bust a very sick freak, who was famous around here for stabbing his victims in the neck with a barbeque fork, then draining their blood with a vacum cleaner. Steve shuddered at the thought. Who the hell did this guy think he was? Whoever he was, he had killed three cops in the last month, along with countless random civilians.

Steve checked his weapons: a 12-gauge shotgun, a .50 A.E., and a knife. He had hidden a sub-machine gun under the seat of his car. Since this was a covert operation, Steve was driving his own car, a 1968 Camero. His spare pistol, a 9mm, was stuffed under his flak jacket. He knew that he would never get by a real inspection, but "Freako," as one of the old hands had called the killer, would not be that smart.

A movement down the ally caught Steve's eye. He checked his watch. 9:27 PM. Right on time. He got out of the car, locked it up, then stole quietly down the ally after the figure. Finally, he was getting close to his informant. After three months of passed information, Steve had finally gotten his contact's trust. Now, he was creeping down the alley, heading towards the fleeing person. The contact, who had called himself "Tommy," went through a door on the right. Steve hurried toward the door, and went through. He found himself in an abondon warehouse. The place was a flea-trap for sure, full of chattering insect life. There was no sign of Tommy.

A sudden noise behind him caused Steve to swing his weapon around. There was no sign of anyone, however. Then a mouse ran across the floor, carrying a nut. Steve relaxed a little.

"Officer Rowland?" The voice of the informant Tommy rang out.

"Tommy, where are you buddy? Come on, It's just me, like we agreed."

Steve heard footsteps, then a window shattered, and a metal object caught the light from his gunlight as it flew through the air. Steve heard a grunt and a thud, then silence.

"Tommy?" Steve asked, inching forward.

A gristly sight caught his gunlight: an arrow had blew through the window, driving itself through Tommy's head. Blood had spattered everywhere, and the side of Tommy's head had blown out, splattering bits of brain and bone everwhere. Tires squealed as a car sped off. This was not a good thing...

Steven 16 years ago
Steve ran for the door, trying to supress the urge to vomit. He blazed through the door, and what he saw surprised him: the sniper was still there! Steve lifted the shotgun.

"Don't move!" he yelled.

The sniper scampered, as Steve knew he would, so Steve ran after him. He was certain that the sniper was his perp. He just needed to catch the little bugger. Thankfully, Steven was a good climber, from his days of climbing into F-18 cockpits. He quickly scaled the fire escape, rolled onto the rooftop, and began to pursue his quary. The sniper was at least fifty meters ahead of him, but Steve was gaining on him. They streaked over the tops of warehouses, factories, and related structures. The sniper darted down a fire escape, and tried hide in the darkness below, but Steve was hot on his heels. He jumped off the ledge, landing on the fire escape below. He was now less than 30 meters from the sniper. He rushed forward, hoping to nail the sniper at the next turn. Thats when the sniper decided that the safest place was below ground, and ducked into the sewers. Steve ran after him, keeping the shotgun level on his perps back. Why the sewers? Steve wondered...
Steven 16 years ago
The two dived into the sewer, which was surprisingly dry. As Steve climbed down the ladder, he noticed the lack of footsteps. This struck him just as the sniper, who was standing nearby, raised his crossbow and fired. The arrow struck Steve in the shoulder, and he fell to the floor. Blood pooled around his head and torso. The last thing he knew before he fainted was that the sniper was running away...

"Dog Three, you got one on your tail!"

Steve checked his radar. Sure enough, Nikki had picked up a MiG and was under fire. He swerved, maneuvering the F-18 behind the pursuing MiG.

"I got you now you nasty little bastard!"

Steve let loose a single missile, then veered off to avoid the debris of the MiG. He looked on the radar again. Two more MiGs were aiming for the C-130 Hercules the Black Dogs were protecting. He kicked his fighter into a higher gear and hightailed it for the attackers. The first went down easy, but the second thought he was a wise guy and started dropping flak on Steve's missile. The maneuver failed, and the MiG exploded in a fiery cloud, sixteen hundred feet off the sand of the Afghanistan desert. The Russian made fighter had been sold on the black market, along with the nine other fighters that had ambushed the convoy. Now there were only four fighters, trying to avoid the dozen or so F-18 Hornets from the Black Dog squadron. One of them had fallen in line behind Steve, and was currently trying to lock onto his thrusters.

"I don't think so!" Steve said, swerving the fighter to avoid a stream of bullets from the MiG's nose gun. He dodged the bullets, but didn't notice the missile from another MiG. The blasted thing caught his left thruster, gutting the inside of the engine. The Hornet dived, heading straight for certain doom in the sands below. Steve hit the eject swearing when his seat failed to rocket out of the fighter's cockpit. He hit the comm. "This is Dog Five. I'm hit, and my eject will not fire. I'm gonna have to ride this one out. I'm coming down hard!"

The F-18 hit the desert sand, and the cockpit busted off of the fuselage. The fuel tanks exploded, leaving a flaming wreckage and a large metal and glass shed nearby. Steve crawled out of the cockpit, and drew his weapon. This would be interesting...

Steve awoke from his war flashback with his shoulder burning and his head sore. Footsteps echoed off of the walls. Someone was coming. He tried to raise his shotgun, but he couldn't even move...
Trin 16 years ago
Trin preffered to hunt those who lived life on the darker side of the law. If something went wrong and they, well, died, there tended to be few questions asked. And if they didn't die, well, they weren't the type to goto the police and file a report.

This one was proving to be fun on the hunt - she'd followed him a dozen blocks already across the roofs, impressed with his skills. When he stopped and settle down for a moment, she paused as well, wanting him well distracted before closing in. There was a flash of movement and the sound of breaking glass. Moments later she heard shouting and shook her head. Perfect. She'd chosen a hitman as her prey. And a fucking lousy one if the man who just climbed onto the roof was any indication. He'd missed his target. Idiot.

She debated finding other prey, but dammit, she'd found this one first. For sheer idiocy alone he deserved to be snacked on. Choosing a course parallel to their's, she followed, almost missed where they dropped to the ground. Backing up, she peered over the edge, watching as her prey bolted for the sewers.

The sewers. Oh crap.

Flinging her head up, she tried to figure out where the chase had led them. She didn't think they were actually in Tacharan territory, but they were probably onthe edges of it. And either way, Tacharan owned the underground network of sewers. Not owned as in "I hold the deed," but owned as in "touch it and die." Not even she could just blithely enter without invitation. And the humans were going down there.

Trin was not known for her problem solving skills. She knew the rules of her life and followed them to the best of her ability. And paramount amongst those was leave no evidence behind. In order to protect her own Clan she was going to have to protect Tacharan. Her Elder was going to have a field day with her if she screwed this up.

Dropping to the ground, she took a deep breath, keeping to the deep shadows. Concentrating carefully, she allowed her form to shift and dissolve into ether. A bit of mist floated across the street, falling into the sewers.

She watched as a crossbow bolt slammed into the human target... and realized that her own target was more than like Tacharan. She imagined he thought the problem solved as the human fell to the ground. He just smirked and ran deeper into the labyrinth.

Trin floated closer to the human - he was still alive, though bleeding profusely. Not good. Pulling back, she shifted back into her solid form and took a moment to catch her breath. the smell of hot fresh blood washed over her and her teeth grew. Not now, girl, not yet...

"Dude, whoever you are, we need to get the hell out of here."

She walked carefully toward the fallen man, hoping he wasn't in any condition to use that gun.
Steven 16 years ago
Steve watched the figure approach. In other circumstances, he would have been able to identify the person, but since the only light come from the light clipped to the barrel of his shotgun, and since he had a hole the size of a quarter in the back of his head, it was no surprise that he was unsure about this new person. The figure said something, but Steve was unable to make out the words. He could tell, however, that this was a woman, and that she didn't seem to have hostile intentions. He fainted again as she came closer...
Trin 16 years ago
(grrrr... damn net shut off before i got this post in. *pout*)

"Well, that's not good."

She watched him drift back into a faint and felt the headache threatening again. Times like she understood Lord Grey's habit of pinching his nose while giving that look. Too bad it wouldn't work for her.

They needed out of here and quick. And she would need to feed before she could even attempt to move him. Trin weighed the options, not pleased with them at all. On the one hand, she could go back up, find someone to snack on and be back in, oh 15 minutes if she got lucky. Probably longer though. Which left an out-to-lunch human who might or might not die right inside the entrance to the sewers. On the other hand, all that blood was being wasted... and he would owe her for saving him. She hoped he was the grateful type.

Carefully picking up the shotgun from where it rested in his slack hands, she moved it a few feet away. If he startled, she'd hate to get shot for her troubles. His pulse was still strong and the bleeding seemed to have slowed - if she could move him just enough...

Slowly and carefully she shifted the human so that she had better access to the wound area. It was a surprisingly clean hole, for all that blood was everywhere. Resting him against her, she carefully bit in the same area - no one would question bruising in the area of trauma.

(ooc - permission to snack granted...)
Steven 16 years ago
Steve awoke from a nightmare involving a large bird dining on his heart to find himself still in the sewers. He had been moved, and a strange sensation flooded from his shoulder wound. It felt like a vein had been punctured, and blood was pouring out rapidly. He thought he could feel something else, too, like hands on his body, but he was nowhere near lucid yet. A somewhat pleasant feeling was spreading from the wound, a feeling that he couldn't describe. He managed to move his hand a bit. He felt around for his shotgun, but couldn't find it. He seemed to be alive, at least. That was good news. He didn't have the strength to reach for his pistol, but his combat knife was handy above his boot. Before he could get his hands around the hilt and draw the semi-serrated blade from it's sheath, he lost consciousness once more...

(ooc: see? I dig knives too!)
Trin 16 years ago
Trying not to sigh in pleasure as the blood flowed over her tongue, Trin concentrated on what we she was doing. It would do neither of tehm any good for her to get lost in this - she needed to take just enough to get him out of here. She could finish later tonight with someone else. And glancing down his long frame, she suspected she was going to need at least some cooperation from him.

She froze when his arm moved. The flow of blood slowed. He was reaching for... following the direction his hand moved she saw the knife. At least the shotgun was out of reach. Her evaluation of this human rose a notch. Even in the state he was in, he was trying to defend himself.

It made her rethink a few things.

His weight increased again as he slipped out of conciousness against her. Frowning, she wondered if he had lost too much blood. A quick inventory of her own state showed that she had acquired enough blood to do what she needed to do, though she'd have to be frugal. Which meant she was back to the problem solving dilemna.

What she wouldn't give for one of te Clan's tacticians to be here. Of course, they probably would have managed to figure out to avoid this altogether and have been able to keep this human out of the sewers to begin with.

Digging into her pockets she found the handkerchief she carried and pressed it against the wound, hoping pressure would stop the bleeding that was left.

Right. Think this through. The human needed medical attention. He would not heal this the way Trin would. Which meant getting him out of the sewer. Oy.

Shifting out from behind him, she moved away still holding the handkerchief against the wound, and considered the problem. She did not know the sewers - if there was an easier way out, she was unaware of it, and wandering around down here carrying a wounded human smack of suicide to her mind. Which meant getting him out the way they came in. Trinity looked up and winced. That was not going to be easy. He had to be 200 lbs, which in an of itself wasn't a problem, but dead weight and leverage was. She ran her hands through her hair, wondering how the hell she had gotten herself into this mess. She found herself hoping he would wake up again. What was that phrase she'd heard in that movie? Something about "and damn the torpedoes"?
Steven 16 years ago
Steve woke yet again. He seemed to have a bit more strength, and his wounds were not hurting as much. He figured that he was running on pure adrenaline, so he had best move out fast. Memories of the last time he had been in this sort of situation clouded his mind. Ignoring them, he got up, shaking his head. His head was buzzing slightly, but other than that he was relatively fine. He took a couple of steps, then paused to get his bearings. He noticed his gun laying a few feet from a large bloodstain on the floor. So he had been moved. He picked up the shotgun and checked the chamber. 5 rounds in the tube, one in the chamber. Just as he had left it. The light had been broken, so he would have to rely upon his gradually returning eyesight and his flashlight to get him out of the darkness. If possible. He became acutely aware of someone behind him. He swung his weapon towards the person, drawing his flashlight. The beam hit a young woman, who was standing directly behind him. She seemed to be about collage age, with brown hair and indistinguishable highlights, and was dressed in dark clothes as he was. However, where Steve was wearing a flak jacket and BDUs, her garb looked distinctively Gothic. Wonderful. He was running around with a damn emo! He lowered his weapon.

"Hi," he said. "I'm Steve. You got a name, ma'am?"
Trin 16 years ago
Scooting out of the way as he rose, she thanked whatever gods of her fathers might be listening. They might actually get out of here without any more damage. She stood as well, watching as he retreived his weapon and checked the chamber. Raising an eyebrow, she almost chuckled. Like she need a shotgun to inflict damage on someone.

Knowing full well what he saw when he flashed the light at her - and the impression it would make, she tried to determine the best course of action. With any luck, he'd consider her relatively harmless and let her help him out of here. Right - since he was making the attempt to act normal, she'd play the college age street smart. That should do.

Steve, huh? And no last name offered. Good enough. The ID she was carrying was in the name Leigh Williams - that would work int he event it mattered. And, at least for the time being, she wanted to gain at least a measure of trust from him. It would make it easier to find out what he knew that Tacharan wanted him dead for.

"Leigh." Cocking her head at him, she frowned. "Do you really think you should be up just yet? I think I got the bleeding pretty much stopped, but you took quite a hit. Might be a good idea to get you to the ER."

(ooc - yeah, yeah - she still thinks he was the target! silly girl....)
Steven 16 years ago
Steve checked his wounds as Leigh mentioned them. Damn that guy was good. Whoever the sniper was, Steve wasn't going to let him get far. He yanked the crossbow bolt out of his shoulder. The thing stung, but he had no time for pain. There was a killer on the loose, and he was responsible for bringing the little bastard in.

"I'll be fine," he grunted. "Did you happen to see which way the sniper went? I need to talk to them"
Trin 16 years ago
This had to be a joke. It just had to be. He still, after having spent the last how-ever-long laying on the ground bleeding, wanted to chase after the sniper. She just stared at him, not sure what to think.

Damn, she wished someone with more experience was here. Preferably someone with one of the mind-gifts to control him out of here. It was logical to assume that the crossbow weilding vamp would have run in the direction of Tacharan, figuring his target was dead. So, by the same logic, ahe should head Steve in the other direction.

"Are you crazy? You need to get those looked at before you collapse altogether!" Trin shook her head. "I am not going to let you just fall over dead at my feet in order to chase some idiot who is, at the moment, in much better shape thanyou are." She thought for a moment, trying to remember what a hunan's concerns would be under the same circumstances. "And I'm not real keen on getting myself killed in the process."
Steven 16 years ago
Steve snarled. Who the hell did this dumbass think she was? Did she have no idea why he was down here? He figured the flak jacket would be a dead giveaway, but apperently not. He decided to do the "good cop" thing.

"Look lady," he began in a calm voice. " I have to catch this guy now, or else he will get away and kill someone else. I happen to know that he is working for a very disturbed individual. This guy will kill anyone he encounters, and it's my duty as an officer to stop him. Now, my life is unimportant, but what is important is that I do my job and protect the people of this city. Now, stop hindering me. If you know something, tell me, then go away. If not, go home anyway. This is not the place for you tonight." He waited. Why couldn't these people be reasonable?
Trin 16 years ago
If the situation hadn't been what it was, Trin was sure she would have fallen over laughing her ass off. There were definite disadvantages to looking like she was at least 10 years his junior. The irony was not lost on her. Trying to protect a human who apparantly was in no mood to be protected. And was unknowingly suggesting suicide. His, not her's, thankfully.

One word, though, stood out in his irritated speech. Officer. Well, crap. The vamp had tried to kill a cop. Which made no sense what-so-ever. As far as she knew, the police department was owned by the Clans, just like every other facet of politics in Nachton. Of course, Tacharan wasn't acknowledged as a Clan... damn. Damn, damn, double damn.

"And getting yourself killed is going to help the people of this city?" Ok, it wasn't right to throw his own words back in his face, but she was running out of options quickly. Time to lie. At least in the specifics. "Look, it's clear we're after the same person - there's a bounty on him that I'm more than interested in. It might in your best interest to let me help - if nothing else, bind that up so you aren't bleeding all over the place." And leaving a trial any new vamp could follow. "I'm not as helpless as you seem to think I am." Male chauvinist... they could be entertaining, but she doubted this guy had anything on some of the ancients she had met that seemed to think that women were whatever they had been seen as while they were alive. Trin had dealt with much more cutting dismissals than his during her lifespan,.
Steven 16 years ago
Steve did not appreciate being talked down to by a damn collage girl. He was about to chew her out good, but then something more pressing happened. He raised his gun and aimed down the tunnel. Something had moved, and Steve was sure it wasn't a rat. His suspicions were confirmed as a crossbow bolt whizzed by his head, then buried itself in the wall behind him. He pushed Leigh into a nearby alcove, then fired in the general direction of the sniper. Or at least, he tried. However, his weapon had been damaged when he had fallen from the ladder, and would not fire. Wonderful. He slung the thing over his shoulder, and drew his sidearm. The black and silver Desert Eagle glinted in the dim light, giving his position away. He ducked as another bolt flew overhead. He pulled a flash-bang off of his belt and chucked it down the tunnel. It went off, blinding the sniper and knocking him to the floor. He ran forward, keeping his pistol at the ready. He got to the sniper, and slapped the cuffs on him. He then turned the man over onto his back. What he saw freaked him out to no end. The son of a bitch had fangs! Honest to god fricking fangs! Steve swore, then yelled to Leigh.

"
Get out of here! Move it!" This was definitely a bad thing. What the hell kind of person had fangs?
Trin 16 years ago
Okay, pissing him off wasn't going to help - she watched annoyance and anger play over his face only to be replaced by concentration. Next thing she knew he had raised the shotgun and was aiming it down the tunnel. "What the..."

The small explosion of cement chips answered that question. Crap. They were too late and this was not going to be good. Before she could say anything she found herself being shoved into a convenient alcove and barely caught herself from being slammed into the wall. The light and noise from the flash bang made her jump - what the hell was that? She dropped to one knee and carefully poked her head out to see what was going on.

Officer Steve had just discovered that vampires were real. Could this get any worse? And telling her, who had half a chance of surviving this, to get out. She suspected that if it weren't so serious she's dissolve into hysterical giggles. In fact, she could feel them bubbling below the surface even now...

In for a dollar... she came out of the alcove, a dagger in her right hand, hidden along the inside of her arm. Ignoring Steve, she crouched down next to the bound vamp. She grabbed his chin, moving his face to be better seen in the scant light. She didn't recognize him, not that she expected to. His clothing though... what she could see of it was merc-style. So he probably was Tach or maybe one of the clan-less that roamed the city. And that little explosion Steve had set off wouldn't keep him out for long.

"This is bad. This is very bad." She studied Steve's face, her expression sober and giving a hint of her true age. The college co-ed was gone, replaced by someone who exuded a self-confidence and demeanor only capable of those who were trained to it. "If he was working alone, we might just get out of here in one piece. If his friends are near..."

Trin had no idea if the sewers were monitored. And if they were, how closely it was maintained. Steve knew too much now - by clan law, his life was forfeit and, under the circumstances, she could dispatch him with no risks being taken. Walking away - well, that would be up the the Triad, but she would be punished for allowing a human to know this much and have done nothing about it. If she was lucky, she would not lose her place in the Order. She doubted Elder Sorin would be that forgiving.

Thinking quickly over everything that had happened this evening she came to a conclusion she wasn’t too thrilled with. The best way to get what she needed and protect the Clans at the same time would be to offer him the truth – and seal his cooperation with familiar status. Technically, she should apply to the Triad before even considering this, but she doubted he’d hang around waiting for her to get the formalities out of the way. She cringed. She hated asking for forgiveness. Getting permission was much better.

“There is another way.” She looked up the tunnel, listening for all she was worth. Nothing but the sounds one would expect from a sewer. “If you want to know what is really going on, I think we can work out a deal. He won’t be out for much longer, so you have to decide now.”

The look she gave him was serious. “I can offer you protection and a chance to set this right. But if you want to survive the attempt, it has to be my way. But first, we get the hell out of here. And leave him, though I‘d bind him with something else, if I were you.”

(ooc - permission to have been "man-handled" granted...)
Steven 16 years ago
Steve swore again. In the last hour or so, he had lost his contact, been shot, and now everything he ever knew was being blasted apart.

"Ok, I'm in," he said. He aimed his weapon and planted a 50A.E. round in the sniper's forehead. "But I need to know right now if I can trust you."
Trin 16 years ago
She raised an eyebrow at him. "You're still alive, aren't you?"

Standing, she flipped the dagger around in her hand and resheathed it without looking, maintaining eye contact the whole time. It had taken her ears to learn that one - she had seen it once in a movie and wanted to prove it couldn't be done. It was sad to lose a bet to one's self...

"Not all things that go bump in the night are evil - but those that are deserve to be destroyed. You have had the misfortune to trip over things you never should have seen. By the laws of the Clans, you are marked. As of this moment, I'm the only one who knows that you know. But I cannot let you roam free." She considered him for a moment. "You are a police officer - and have sworn oaths, correct? Something to the effect of protect and serve? So have I. Until we get somewhere safer, that is the best I can offer you. Truce?"
Steven 16 years ago
Steve holstered his weapon.

"Yeah, I guess." He looked at the sniper's still twitching corpse. What the hell have I gotten myself into? he wondered.

He walked toward the ladder. The manhole was still open, and he began to climb out. Man, he could use a beer.
Trin 16 years ago
Trin rolled her eyes. She made a mental note to NOT tell him the right way to kill a vampire. This one would survive - he'd be pissed as hell at the damage Steve had just done - but he'd live. Too bad. She seriously considered finishing the job and sighed. She had no legitimate reason to, dammit. Let whoever find him and make of this what they would.

She followed him up the ladder, understanding he was offering a degree of trust. He gained major brownie points letting her have his back. She hoped neither of them had cause ot regret this.

Reaching the surface, she looked around, and shook her head. Talk abut an unlikely alliance.

"How 'bout a drink? I don't know about you, but I could use one right about now."

(out!!)
Steven 16 years ago
"Sounds good to me," he repilied, and the two of them moved off into the night, heading back to Steve's car. There, he switched out his flak jacket and shotgun for civilian garb and his
D.E. This was going to be one hell of a night.

(Steve out)

(Admin: Lock 'er up!)