Firefights and vampire bites (Trin, front and center. Soon open to all ass-kickers!)

Steve waited with his heart pounding. This was it, the chance to bring down Nachton's most wanted killers. But tonight was going to be rough, since he was to be bitten yet again by Trin. Today, only three things had been in his head: A friend from the past was moving to this city, Trin was in his head non-stop, and his mission was the dominant thing now that he was in the field. Steve was dressed as he had been that first fateful night, with black combat gear, and a bad attitude. He was armed with an FN-P90, his D.E., and a few other little toys he had grabbed. He waited, sitting in the dark near an old office building. His watch struck nine PM. Trinity should be here soon.

(All others: Wait for me and Trin to finish our business here before the mayhem begins)

Trin 16 years ago
Trin had woken from her day's sleep feeling a bit out of sorts. A quick shower had chased the cobwebs away but did little for feeling like something was off. Padding down the stairs wrapped only in a towel, a blinking light caught her eye and she watched, amused as her cell phone started vibrating its way across the counter.

The missed caller was Steve and concern overwhelmed her. That was the source of her uneasiness. Punching a few numbers, she waited for the voicemail to kick in while she poured a cup of coffee. Relieved that it was only a matter of changing the venue for their meeting, though his referral to it was dinner made her chuckle. She added morbid sense of humor to her ever-growing list of Steve's traits.

Looking up the address he had given was a matter of moments on her laptop. The coffee cup froze halfway to her mouth when she saw what area of town it was in. Well, that cut out the nicer side of her wardrobe. That area called for hunting attire. What in the world was he up to? Doubts started creeping in that he had changed his mind about this familiar thing. Absently gnawing on her lip, she printed of the directions and went up to change.

Twenty minutes later she was back downstairs, outfitted in dull black leather from head to toe. She had debated on the duster, but decided that its ability to conceal larger weapons was worth the hassle it sometimes caused. Her hair was pulled back in a tight French braid with the long tail pinned up in a bun at the base of her neck so it couldn't be grabbed and used against her.

BJ sauntered in as she stood before her wall of weapons, choosing her accessories for the night.
*We hunt?*

*No, furface. I hunt. You stay put and keep out of trouble.*

A wave of irritation swept over her, and she shook her head at the cat. *I'm sorry, sweetie, but this is not your kind of hunt. I'll make it up to you.*

Grabbing a short sword, two daggers and various other small knives, she attached or concealed them as appropriate. A small hip pouch with a few other necessities and she was good to go, grabbing her keys and cell phone on her way out the door.

She was a few minutes later than she would have liked, but traffic had backed up due to a minor accident. Finding an out of the way place to park, she slipped out of the jeep, taking moment to listen to the sounds of the night around her. Nothing seemed out of place, which was good, though she was still a bit baffled why Steve had chosen to meet here. She approached him in plain view, making no attempt to hide from him.

"If this is your idea of a place to take a lady for dinner, we have really got to work on your dat... social skills." She grinned up at him, hoping he'd take the teasing as it was meant and not notice how nervous she suddenly was.
Steven 16 years ago
Steve caught the unease of the vampire. Well, there was a pisser for ya. Leaning against the wall, he grinned at her joke. He still was disturbed by her nervousness. Why was she scared? This was Steve's area of expertise, retrieval and elimination in enemy territory. Oh well, at least there was no sign of hostiles. "Hell of a view here," Steve said, gesturing towards the sky with a hand clad in a fingerless glove. "Look, Trin. I have business here tonight, so if we could make this quick, and you be on your way, then things might have the ghost of a chance of not being a disaster." Steve, his voice as cold as ice and serious as a heart attack, handed her the P90, and sat down on the ground with his arms on a ledge behind him. He pulled down the neck of his flak jacket. "What are you waiting for? Move it!"
Trin 16 years ago
Trinity felt relief followed by irritation at learning that he was putting his life in danger. Again. And expected her to simply accept that and walk away. She took the P90 automatically and glanced at it, idly wondering what in the world she was supposed to do with it.

"While I can appreciate you wanting to get the munching part out of the way, what in the name of all that's Holy, makes you think I'm just gonna be a good little girl, go home and play with my cat?" Though if this was the atittude he was taking tonight, BJ would be more fun. "In case you haven't noticed, I can take care of myself and have been for centuries before you were even born. I only look like a 20 year old virgin. Now, before I give you that third bite and the advantages that go with it, are we partners or not?"

She knew time was short - whatever he had planned would happen soon. They didn't have time for a prolonged argument and Trin had no doubt he knew that. The only way she was leaving was without biting him or when the job was done. Or the sun came up. Whichever came first.
Steven 16 years ago
Steve snarled like he had never done around Trin. What the hell did she think she was doing? "Look, I don't have much time, so let's make things quick: I don't want you getting your fool self killed in combat, and that's exactly where this op is going if it goes bad. You feel like taking a few slugs? Didn't think so. Furthermore, we are partners, just don't push your luck. I still could kill you at a moment's notice. Understood?" He glared up at her. This brood was going to get on his nerves. He could tell that right away. He was about to say more, when he caught movement out of the corner of his eye. Time was up. He tackled Trin and grabbed the weapon as a dozen or so slugs flew through the air where her head had been. Damn, automatic weapons. Wonderful. Dragging Trin behind a dumpster, he returned fire, trying to locate the unseen attacker. Soon more guns opened up. Damn, how many more were there? He just hoped Trin had the sense to keep out of the way. "I'll lay down some cover fire, you just get the hell out of here!" Steve said, firing at the snipers.
Trin 16 years ago
What in the...

Trin found herself behind a dumpster, a dagger digging into her ass. Thankfully it was the hilt, not the blade. Pulling away from Steve she kept low and thought fast. He had taken back the gun, which she was currently of two minds about. From the sounds of it there were at least 3, maybe four different guns going off out there. Looking around, their options were not good. Though the smell of the dumpster would have its own advantage.

"Sorry, love, but you're stuck with me. I don't want you getting your own fool self killed either." Trinity wouldn't actually need the covering fire if she chose to leave, but there was no way she was going without Steve. She could get up the building unseen, but he was stuck here. Unless he had some real fun surprises floating aroung his person."We need to get above, if not even, with them."

There was a change in the gun fire, less bullets firing now. Listening for all she was worth, she could barely follow their movements above them. She held up two fingers and pointed down the block. At a guess, they were making their way to a ladder and would be on the ground soon. The others were keeping still, firing their own cover. "Wouldn't happen to know if they're human, would you?"

She should have bit him when she had the chance, dammitall. "Think we could take care of that bite thing real quick before this gets real exciting?" She could use the extra oomph the bond would give her - and it would do wonders for him as well. she hoped.
Steven 16 years ago
The firing had died down, but Steve was still pissed. One, 'cause his intelligence was faulty, and two, 'cause Trin was an being an idiot. She had never been in combat, had never seen her brothers dead on the ground, had never had a clip emptied at her, had never lain dying while a battle raged on around her. She had never seen the horrors of war. And yet she expected him to let her stay, while bullets flew, and he fought for their lives. He pulled a fire blanket out of a bag on his belt and threw it to Trin. "Things are gonna get freaky, so you'd better put that around you," he said, pulling a detonator out of his pocket.
Trin 16 years ago
Trin rolled her eyes and wondered what exactly it was going to take to get Steve to grasp that she had survived 250 years without his help. Death was not new to her and she'd seen and done things that he couldn't even begin to imagine. She ignored the blanket he tossed at her (and what was she supposed to do with a blanket?? Hide? Right...) and pulled two throwing daggers out of their sheathes.

"You haven't seen 'freaky' yet." A moment's concentration and she seemed to disappear, turning to mist before his eyes. Floating up, she scanned the area, trying to locate the nearest sniper - or at least one with the clearest shot.

As she'd feared one was getting into position where he'd have a clear shot at the hiding place behind the dumpster. She came to a rest behind him and debated for a moment whether or not to kill him outright. He'd fired at her and her familiar - that in and of itself justified his death. But they needed answers as well. Reforming herself, she switched one of the daggers for a heaver knife and brought it down hard at the base of his skull. He crumpled, never having seen or heard anything. A quick search showed he was wearing some sort of radio and she took it, then bound his hands as best she could behind his back. Turning back to mist, she returned to Steve and settled in next to him waiting til it was fairly clear to reform. Eyebrow cocked, she offered him the radio.
Steven 16 years ago
What in the hell had that been about!? Steve glared at her and replaced the detonator in his pocket. Had he set it off, explosives in the various buildings would have spread a fireball over a 3 block radius, torching everything in the way. But instead the co-ed next to him had turned into a cloud and floated off, rematerializing and taking out a sniper who was trying to flank them. He took the radio she offered him, trying not to chew her ass out for pure stupidity. He held up the radio. "This is Colonel Rowland, with the NPD. We have you surrounded. Cease fire and throw down your weapons. Let's talk about this here." Far from improving their situation, more spooks had shown up down the street, and were setting up M2 machine guns and sandbag fortifications. The snipers on the rooftops had opended fire again, and had pinned thier sorry asses down. He returned fire, taking out two snipers and one of the M2 positions. As if things wern't bad enough, there was movement from behind them. Great. More troops. There was now about thirty of them, all dressed in the same uniform: white BDUs with a grey flack jacket and either an AK-47 or an M2. Damn vampire, Steve thought, shooting a glare across at Trinity. She had better get under that blanket, or else she was gonna be one crispy critter. He decided to take action. Grabbing the blanket, he lunged at her, pinning her down with his own body, and completly covering her with the blanket. With Trin safe, he pulled out the detonator and fired it up. Seconds later, the explosion went off. Steve felt the flames lick his body, scorching his skin, burning his hair, and making his dog tags far too hot against his chest. Within seconds, but after what felt like days, the explosion subsided, and he finally let Trin up. Looking around, Steve saw that the whole place was a disaster, with charred bodies and equippment everywhere. He hoped to god that there had been no civilians in the area when the blast went off. He looked at Trinity. "Now you see why you need to listen to me. I'm the experienced soldier. You're the blood-sucking teenager. No offense, but you got a lot to learn there, grasshopper." Without waiting for her answer, he rushed dwon the street, searching out any signs of life. Without warning, a shotgun blast rang out. A softball- sized ball of buckshot caught Steve in the chest, failing to penetrate the flak jacket, but enough to launch his ass into a wall. He swore, trying to clear his head. That one hurt.
Trin 16 years ago
On the up side, he was protecting her as the familiar bond required. On the down side... he was starting to piss her off and that took some doing.

What the hell was going on that Steve had just turned roughly 6 square blocks into a fire zone? Ironically, he had tripped over one of the few things that could kill her - and protected her from it instead.

"Blood sucking teenager?" She watched him take off down the street still trying to decide whether or not this whole mess was worth the aggravation of dealing with the macho he-man she seemed to tripped over. Hell, at this rate, she'd kill him herself.

And then he's the one who goes and gets shot. Must be the experienced soldier part she was supposed to trust. Turning back to mist, she caught up with him easily, biting her tongue from chewing him out for his own lack of forethought. She reformed and grabbed his arm, pulling him behind what was left of a wall.
"Not to put too fine a point on things, but I'm anything but a teenager and haven't been in a few centuries. Remind me to share my own war-stories one of these days. How about we utilize the skills we both have so we both get out of here in one piece." She glared at him. "You invited me, remember?"
Steven 16 years ago
Steve shook his head, trying to clear the buzzing that was in it. She wanted to leave. "No," Steve said. "This is my perp. I ain't leaving till he's dead." He got up, brushing dirt off of the back of his flak jacket. He stuck his head around the wall. The bastard was fleeing. He growled, then set off at a sprint, chasing down the vampire who had shot him in the sewers. This time, he would not fail. The mission would be successful, or Steve Rowland was going to die fighting. He just hoped Trin had the sense to stay the hell out of his way.
Trin 16 years ago
Trinity finally saw who Steve was determined to kill. And frowned. It was the vampire from two nights ago that had started this whole mess to begin with. She followed, holding back and scanning everything as Steve seemed intent on his target.

Something here was not adding up. The sniper she had taken down was human. She paused to examine another corpse on the edge of the blast damage - and it seemed to be human as well. If the vampire Steve was so determined to kill was Tacharan, why would all the back up be human? And if he wasn't Tacharan, why would a rogue have his own personal army? This did not fit any pattern of vampire politics she'd seen, which argued for a rogue. She hoped this was a rogue. Having her familiar kill a member of one of the clans this early on would be very bad for both of them.

On second thought, Steve ever killing a member of the clans except in blatant self-defense would be nothing short of catastrophic.

She continued to follow Steve, easily and gracefully going around, up and over things as the vampire led them a rather merry chase deeper into the industrial district. She just hoped that she'd have a better understanding what the hell was going on before the night was over.
Steven 16 years ago
Good, she was hanging back. Finally Trin had learned her place in combat. If this was how she would be from now on, then they would be one hell of an ass-kicking team. He rolled under a low-hanging pipe, and loped around a corner to find a group of spooks aiming at him. "Ambush! Fall back!!!"He yelled at Trin, firing the P90 like crazy. The sub-machine gun was small, but boy, did it have balls. Bullets spattered all over the place, and the spooks went down, kicking in the dust. "Let's go," he said, moving off.
Trin 16 years ago
And they were lead into an ambush. Trinity had not cleared the corner when Steve yelled, dropping to look around the corner as he returned, firing on about a dozen men. Where were they all coming from? Dammit, this made no sense whatsoever.

The vampire had ducked down a side alley. When Steve had determined it was safe to move, she pointed at the opening. "He went down there."

When Steve started off, she grabbed his arm and glared at him. "You want to do this your way, fine. Lead on. But if you get yourself killed, I'm going to seriously hurt you."
Steven 16 years ago
"Sure, darlin'. Whatever you say."
Steve reloaded his weapon, ducking into the alley she indicated. Almost instantly, the light from behind them disappeared as a figure holding a shotgun stepped out of a convenient cranny. The shotgun went off, and another ball of buckshot caught Trin in the chest. The vampire was not wearing a flak jacket, so she took each pellet like any regular human. The enemy vamp grinned and ran. Steve kneeled by his fallen comrade's side, all thoughts of the mission forgotten. "Trinity! Come on, talk to me, dammit! Don't die on me here!" Steve felt tears beginning to well under his eyelids. Fuck! He needed to keep it together. Trin's life depended on him. He pulled back his flak jacket and moved his neck to her mouth. Hopefully she would bite. No luck. She seemed to be out of it. He held her like a child, and softly sang a cadence to her, trying to keep her still:

"F-15 rolling down the strip.

Eagle driver gonna take a little trip.

Rev it up, taxi down, count to four.

Push the throttle forward and hear the engines roar.

Thirty thousand feet and still climbing higher,

doin mach 2 with my hair on fire.

Took a look at my six and what did I see,

a MIG-29 comin' after me.

Pulled it up and rolled it left to his surprise,

should have seen the look in that bogie's eyes.

I got tone and let my missile fly,

blew that 29 right out of the sky.

when you see and Eagle driver he will say,

flying and fighting is the Air Force way!"

Damn, he was indeed a creepy son of a bitch. But he still had a heart. And it was breaking at the sight of the vampire. Blood would flow in rivers for this one, he was sure. Killing, after all, was his specialty.

(Hey, people. Feel free to join the fight, just don't kill the vampire Steven is chasing. Trinity has dibs on that sucker.)
Trin 16 years ago
Surprise, surprise - he'd agreed with her. Sort of.

She followed him into the alley, listening for all she was worth. All she could hear was Steve's breathing and the drip of something she had no desire to recognize. God alone knew what it might be.

A step behind her and the light from a streetlamp was partially blocked. But before she could say or do anything, time just... stopped.

Trinity heard the blast and felt the impact. Stunned, it seemed like years before she felt the grimy ground meet her body. That so did not feel good. It wasn't the first time she'd been shot or even recieved what would be a death wound for a human. It had happened too fast for her to shift her shape - which she would damn well practice when this was over. Apparantly she wasn't using that advantage often enough for it to be second nature.

Her body shut down as her mind accessed the damage. Missed the heart - good thing. She'd survive given time to pull herself back together. But would Steve survive - and if he did would he give her up for dead when she needed him most?

Damaged tissue began the healing process, bits of metal forced out of her skin. Part of her mind noted the damage to her favorite leather vest and it simply increased the simmering rage she felt growing under the rest. Regardless of what Steve might think or want, that son of a bitch was hers. Steve didn't even know for sure how to kill him, but she did.

Eventually - after what felt like years while pain coursed through her - she heard singing. Confused her mind retreated for a moment to reevaluate the situation. It took longer than Trinity liked to realize it was Steve she heard, voice roughened by an emotion that in anyone else she would have classified as sorrow mingled with anger. The words meant little to her, but apparantly held a great deal of meaning for him. She felt touched by that and relaxed enough to allow herself to heal enough to "wake up." Not that she'd ever truly been asleep.

Her sense of smell came back next and with it the realization that what she needed most was right here, easily to hand. That peculiar mix of smells she associated already with her familiar was as close as turning her head, which took a lot more effort than she wanted to think about. But she did it and nuzzled against his neck, ignoring the pain in her chest. A few more moments and that would be dealt with.

Her teeth slid into his skin easily, and she grabbed him, remembering the pain she would be causing (still a foriegn concept). If he pulled away now, she would take far longer to heal than they could afford.

She was so not done yet.
Steven 16 years ago
Finally, she bit. About damn fricking time! Steve controlled his rage, his right arm tightening around Trin's shoulders. His left was fiddling with the radio she had taken from the sniper. A roar of sound hit his ears. He quickly adjusted the thing, and found his enemy's frequency. "Yes," he said, listening eagerly. He looked down at Trin as she finished drinking. "Ok, sweetheart. You want more? Well, I got an idea. There's a pair of supply trucks heading this way. We hijack them, and find their CO. Bada bing, bada boom. We're in. Got it?" He turned from her, and jumped up onto the wall, using the windows as a ladder. He quickly scaled the building, and turned to look for Trin. "Come on, let's go!" He raised his weapon, and looked around. They were clear, except for two snipers, who were facing the other way. Steve dealt with the nasty little bastards, then grinned at his comrade, Trin. He was good at one thing, at least. Now, if he could just get Trin to wear a flak jacket, then they'd be set. He sighed. All he really wanted now was to hang out in some bar somewhere, maybe letting the little badge bunnies make eyes at him. But he first needed to kill this bastard. Then he could get plowed, or do whatever.
Trin 16 years ago
Trin sat up, pulling away from Steve with a degree of reluctance she didn't like. She watched for a moment as he played with the radio, listening intently to whatever was going on on the other end.

An internal review showed her that she was put back together enough to function - but that she needed more than it was safe for Steve to give her to finish the healing. And it still hurt like hell. She looked down, mildly fascinated to watch the skin and muscle reform, more metal forced out. She had always though bullets were more solid - bigger. Her mind finally supplied the right term - buckshot. Lots and lots and lots of little bits of metal to get rid of. Lovely.

Hijack a truck? Well, that would be a new experience. And if they were part of this vampire's little entourage, even better. Clearing her throat (and trying to ignore the lingering taste of Steve in her mouth) she watched as he climbed the wall, encouraging her to follow.

"Okay. I can do that." I think. I hope.

Carefully following, she wished that she could shift and just float up. It would hurt less. But until she was at full strength again, she was screwed. None of her abilities would work at peak efficiency. She needed more blood. She paused to watch Steve take out the two snipers and wished he had thought to just disable one. She could have finished off the other. Damn. Well, he'd learn as they grew accustomed to the bond between them.

She returned his smile with a raised eyebrow. "Having fun?"

She started to say something sarcastic and her face softened.
"Thank you. I know that the biting is not.. .well, easy for you. But... well, thank you." she blushed and looked away, over the rooftops to see if he had missed anyone. It seemed to be clear and she waited to follow on the next leg of their journey.
Steven 16 years ago
Steve swore as he caught his mistake too late. He should have let one of the snipers live. He would need to bee more careful. Trin spoke, thanking him, then blushed. Not a teenager. Right. He ran off, heading for the road. Reaching the edge of the roof, he looked down. The trucks were splitting up. Better than he could have hoped. "Here we go. You hold tight here. I'll get 'em" He screwed a silencer into the P90, then handed his sidearm to Trin. "If anything moves, shoot it." With that, he jumped off the building, and landed on the truck. Two shots through the disabled the drivers, but left them alive. He stopped the vehicle, and did a sweep of it. It was loaded with weapons and armor. Perfect. He signaled Trin, and fished out a flak jacket for her. "Put this on," he said, throwing her the flak jacket. "Both of them are still kicking. I tied them up. Have at." He waited for her to do her thing, then got into the truck, laying his weapon on the seat next to him. "Do you think you can fight, or do you want to leave? I wont think poorly of you if you go." He regretted this almost immediately. She probably would beat the holy hell out of him for that little remark, but now was not the time for worrying about her feelings. They had a job to do. He just hoped Trin was combat ready. He was getting really attached to this vampire. Even more great news. But Trin had her advantages in battle, that was for sure. Like that mist thingy. That was going to be useful. Good thing his basement was airtight. If it hadn't been, then she would have free reign down there. Ah, Trinity, Steve thought. You have got a LOT of things to learn before we get too far into this 'bond' thing.

(Sorry if I cramped your style there, darlin')
Trin 16 years ago
Trin took the gun and groaned to herself. Ambrose had offered to help her learn more about guns, but they had not actually done anything about it yet. Well, in the event that she actually had to use the damn thing, maybe she'd get lucky. Not bloody likely.

When he only disabled the occupants rather than outright killing them, her mood perked up a it. With more effort than was pretty, she waited for Steve to tell her it was safe to come down. The moment her boots hit the ground, she was in the truck and had her teeth locked in the throat of the nearest human. That one did not survive the experience, though from the look on his face she had managed to be gentle enough that he had rather enjoyed his final moments. Taking a deep breath, she absently wiped her mouth on the sleeve of her duster. Already she felt much better, the rush of fresh blood allowing the healing to speed up. Well, not better exactly - the accelerated healing still hut like hell, but it was a good hurt, the kind that told her that good things were in process.

She took her time with the second one. She let him live - there were some questions she wanted answered. The hole on her chest was now half the size it had been and was rapidly filling in.

Arguing with him over the flak jacket seemed an exercise in futility under the circumstances. Slipping out of the duster, she pulled it on, momentarily baffled at the velcro hooks. Rather handy little things she decided.

At his question, the rage she had held back came to the fore.
"Don't even think it. By the time this idiot can answer a few questions, I'll be in better shape than I was when the night started. You are not getting rid of me that easily."

The internal debate that happened was lightning fast. Steve was her's now - she owed him the knowledge she had. "There's something here you need to understand. This vampire is not a member of the clans - or at least I don't believe he is. The clans are forbidden from the types of things I've seen tonight." They'd never have maintained control otherwise. "He has to be a rogue. When it comes down to it, your weapons will only disable him. The killing blow will have to be mine. We have to do this together or there's a good chance we're toast."
Steven 16 years ago
"Affirmative," he said, as Trin dished out the intel. "When it comes down to it, I'll kick the holy hell out of him, and you chow down." Steve kneeled down by the wounded driver. "Please, don't hurt me! I'm just doing my job, I never laid a hand on you girlfriend there! I'm not in charge here!" The man's voice was high-pitched and freaked out. By the smell of it, he had wet himself. Some soldier he was. "Shut it'" Steve growled. "Who's running this op? Who's your commanding officer?" Steve grinned at Trin as an afterthought. "Tell me," he said wickedly, "or I'll let her have another round at you."
The idea seemed to scare the hell out of the man, and he began babbling like crazy. A quick blow to the head fixed that, and the man said one thing the Steve cared about. The highest ranking person the man knew of was a lieutenant who was currently supervising something called "Stage Four." This term got Steve's attention fast. He left the man for Trin to finish off. At least she had put on the body armor. He got into the truck, and after Trin did her thing, they moved off, leaving two bodies burning behind them. A good idea of Steve's, torching the corpses, although Trin probably would have thought of that. That vampire gave Steve the creeps. But, as they drove toward the location the driver had given them, he had to admit that his feelings toward her had gotten way too much for him to comprehend.
Must be that damn biting thing, Steve thought, pulling up to a curb. "Ok, listen. I'm better at this kind of operation than you, so wait here and keep an eye on the truck." He moved off, climbing another building, and streaking across the rooftops. He found the site, and swore. Stage Four was a large howitzer unit mounted on a truck. He fired, killing all the spooks but the lieutenant. This man he hog-tied, then, after planting and detonating a few C4 charges on the gun, dragged the tied-up man back to the truck, where he questioned the man.
Finally, the truth.
Things went down like this: Robert Durango, an arms dealer, had a son named Richard. Richard had gotten his ass vampired, daddy Durango had moved to Nachton because it was supposed to be the vampire capitol of the world. Tommy Brown, Steve's informant, was Richard's familiar. When he had tried to inform Steve, Richard had tied up a loose end. Now, Richard was hiding with two spooks in a warehouse. Steve took down the address, then nodded at Trin. As the vampire did her thing, Steve located the building the man had told of. When Trin had finished, they walked into the building Steve had found. They crept forward. Sure enough, Richard was standing there, an automatic shotgun held in his hands, and some sort of machine gun over his back. Two spooks stood with M60s, looking around. Steve and Trin crouched behind some barrels.
"Here's the plan: I'll throw down some suppressing fire, while you move around to flank them. Ready? Move!" Steve ran one way, firing wildly with the P90. The two spooks dropped fast, kicking in the dust. Steve then shot the shotgun out of Richard's hands. The vampire pulled out the machine gun. Steve identified it quickly: M249 with a 200-round clip. Trin was out of sight now. Good thing, 'cause Richard was going Rambo on the place. "Hey, you want some of this!?" Steve fired, hitting the vampire with a spray of bullets. Richard fired back, and three bullets caught Steve in the chest. His flak jacket had been damaged by the shotgun blast earlier, and the bullets went right through Steve's chest. The only life-threating wound was one of the bullets, which had scratched his lung. other than that Steve would be fine. There was absolutely no way Trin could have seen him go down, but Steve had a mission to complete, so he fired again,m keeping Richard's attention so Trin could get him. Steve's mouth was dry, and his mind was fuzzy. His last thought before he lost consciousness was of Nikki. He had no business dying here.

(Rowland isn't dead yet. Just you wait, this is gonna be good.)