Trying to understand, from the inside of a washing machine.

"Shit. I should go back."

Pacing around her living room, Shay continually wrung her hands, looked at the clock, then the dark night outside her window. She was completely, and utterly exhausted, but still felt the need to move.

Grabbing her coat, and purse, her hand poised on the door handle, before she dropped everything at her feet, and circled the room for the umpteenth time.

Before she commenced to recite the list of reasons why it would do no good for her to be at the hospital, Shay broke down into tears again. It had been like this for the past couple days, but even more so now that she was home, and alone again.

Falling backwards onto the couch, she covered her eyes in her hands, and let the tears flow.

Ginnie was gone...dead. Never again would she feel the warm arms embracing her. Never again would Shay see that glorious sparkle in her mom's eyes, when she spoke of her weapons, and her abilities, as she instructed her daughter. Never again would Ginnie's clear laugh ring through the air.

Shay ached with spent tears, as well as those she still had to release. Her sides, neck, face...all those muscles were worn out from extensive use.

As for he father, Shay drew little solace from the fact that he was lying in a hospital bed not that far away. Alec was a mess, and while she refused to acknowledge even the slightest idea that he wouldn't live, she really had no guarantees. The doctors would do everything they could for him, Shay knew this, but even physical wounds aside...she knew it was going to be a long time before he would heal emotionally, and mentally. Not only had he been through hell, and come out of it, but he had lost his one true love in the process.

More tears blurred her vision, as her eyes were cast toward the door again. As much as she wanted to go to Alec, and let him envelope her in HIS arms, she knew that wasn't to be. Shay had to be strong for her father now. It was up to her to find the strength for the time when he would be released, so she could help him heal...somehow. It wasn't clear what she would do, or how, only that she would be the one to do whatever was needed. They were all they had now, and Shay would not fail her father.

Without conscious thought of doing so, Shay rolled to her side, and curled up in the fetal position, where she finally fell asleep.

Alec Devereaux 16 years ago
For for too long, there had simply been nothing. The mind retreated deep inside, a part of it realizing that what it provided would only hinder the process. The body needed all of the energy that it could expend, and expend it did. The leg had healed the fastest - the cracks in the bones knit fast, the surface damage mostly bruising under the gear he'd been wearing...save where his knee had exited the flesh. The exit had been blessedly clean, and the blood and rapid medical attention had done much for it. The ribs were another fast heal - the whole set on the left side had been crushed in. The punctured lung was still a difficulty, but since he required less air than a human, he counted it a win. The broken and flayed arm had been another story. A sizable amount of his forearm and almost all of the skin from his elbow down had been missing. The skin had come back quickly enough, but the muscle was sluggish in regeneration. It would be months before the arm was ready for light work.

The physical structure of the heart had only been scratched, but the emotional damage there was worse than all of the other combined. Though functional, it seemed to pump an emptiness through his being rather than blood, or as it once had, love. The pain of the emotional loss was greater than everything else combined...so the mind had retreated. It fled the pain, and sought to allow the body to heal on its own. The body knew what it needed. The mind was sundered. Not as badly as it had been once before, but that life was not even locked away. The memories had been purged. This time, the mind had not been so thorough. The emptiness persisted. The memory of loss remained.

Snapping open his eyes, he found that he could not see to the left, where all of the major damage had been. The broken cheekbone and orbit around his eye had been the worst of the physical harm. The eye was, as of yet, non-functional. In theory, function would eventually return, but he was too young to know when. Staring at the ceiling, he remembered that he was in the recovery area for his kind now.

Deciding that he had laid abed long enough, he finished his self-analysis. The body would serve - the vessel, though still damaged, was intact. The mind surged forward, returning fully to capacity. When the tears had soaked through the bandages covering his eye, he moved his legs over to the edge of the bed. Placing one foot and then another onto the floor, he then sat up. Stiffly, painfully...but completely.

A light was flashing - soon people would be telling him to be back abed. An unconcealed motion sensor. Once upon a time he would have avoided it altogether. Currently, he did not care. He wanted to see himself before that happened, to match the visual to the sensation. Standing would be so much effort, though. Ignoring the angry pain from his body, he stood. The body collapsed, and the mind retreated again.

Waking, he was in the bed. It was warm here, but he felt so very hollow. She was gone, and would never be here. His face was wet again.

Shay 16 years ago
"No mama! I don't wanna go to school!!"

The ringing alarm clock turned out to be part of a dream Shay would forget the moment she opened her eyes. Seconds later she did just that, when it sunk in that instead of a clock, it was her phone ringing. Though the rings were as different as night and day, apparently dreams made allowances.

As the spiderwebs cleared, Shay jumped up off the couch and ran to the counter where her phone rested.

"Hello...? Yes, this is Shay. Yes, Alec, that's right, is he okay?"

Since it had been she who drove Alec to Duibne, after...ward...she had asked that in the event of any change to his condition, she be contacted immediately. There were probably people in Tacharan who would want to know...need to know what had happened, but that would all come later. Right now she didn't want to talk to anyone if it could be avoided, doctors excluded.

The nurse told Shay that Alec had come to, and had proceeded to get out of bed, then pass out on the floor. But before Shay could let her fear get the better of her, the nurse quickly explained he was fine...or rather had suffered no dire damage, and was again resting comfortably.

When Shay wanted to know more, the nurse hesitated, then referred Shay to Alec's doctor for more details. Grumpy, but aware enough not to take her frustrations out on the nurse, Shay announced she was on her way to the medical center, and that she would want to talk to the doctor upon her arrival.

Unfortunately, by the time Shay showered, dressed, and found her way to Alec's room, the doctor was no where to be found. Evidently, according to the same helpful nurse, there had been another emergencies that had required the attention of a substantial portion of the staff. The nurse assured Shay if anything more developed with Alec, someone would be called to attend to him with the expedience. With that assurance, Shay silently opened the door to her father's room, and slipped inside.

She had seen Alec bandaged and broken, after he had been initially admitted, and several times since. The doctor had told her it would take her father a little time, even with his vampire healing abilities, before he would be ready to communicate. The doctor continually tried to get Shay to go home, and take care of herself, citing the futility of her being there, yet Shay refused to stay away long. She truly believed this doctor was doing everything to make sure Alec healed physically, but it was the injured mental, and emotional side of Alec that scared Shay more than anything else. She was a virtual emotional baby herself...how could she help Alec? What would she do if he woke up, and refused to see her...talk to her? What if he withdrew totally and refused to talk to ANYONE?

What if he awoke, and refused to have anything to do with Shay, period?

Only half of his face was visible, and his eyes were closed, but there was what looked to be a soft sheen of dampness on his cheek. Shay wondered if he had been crying, and she felt her own eyes tear up. Stepping ever so softly to the side of his bed, Shay put a hand lightly upon his, and caressed it so gently she doubted he could feel it, but it gave her comfort just to feel him there.

While she gazed upon her father's face, feeling the love she had for him well up inside her, a feeling of dispair also crept into her heart, and threatened to push tears from her eyes yet again.

"Oh Alec..."

Oh Alec what? Everything will be okay? Will it? How can it be, when the woman he loved is gone. Shay shook her head, and squeezed her own eyes shut, unwilling to weep again. For the moment she needed to be strong. There would be time later when she could find her release again.
He was alone, feet dangling off of the edge of a skyscraper. Looking up to the sky, the constellations were wrong...but somehow more right. The Safe, the Lovers, the Thief, the Hideaway, the Knife...they were stars he knew, but from no place he'd ever been. A small man who was not a man came, and shoved him from the building with amazing strength. Falling, he tried to fly, but his wings had been clipped. So he fell, faster, faster, toward a burning building where his Ginnie stood, looking up to him.

"WHY DID YOU LET THEM KILL ME?"

Waking with a start, Alec felt the moisture on his face. It had just been a dream, but not all of it. He was still broken, she was still dead. Settling back down, he felt the itching pain that waking with a start had caused. The bed was warm, the man cold and empty. Closing his eyes, he ignored the opening of the door. People trying to keep him alive would come and go as they pleased. At the touch of a hand, he slipped his eye open. He wanted to pour everything out, how he had failed, the nightmares, how he was an unfit being...but he couldn't burden Shay with his issues.

She'd lost her mother and was still coming to grips with losing her memories. How could he do that to her, especially when he could have prevented Ginnie's death? A little more research, better preparation, faster response...any of them would have made the difference. The coward in him would not allow him to speak right out. Instead, it focused on the first thing that came to mind. Turning his head slightly toward her, he whispered

"You...smell different."
Shay 16 years ago
Alec!?

Blinking open her eyes, and seeing him through the tiny droplets that made everything look all sparkley, Shay wasn't sure if she had really heard the soft words, or if they had played only in her mind.

"Alec!"

No, his un-bandaged eye looked up at her now...he had said the words...he was awake, and he was talking to her!

Leaning down she placed a quick, chaste kiss on his good cheek, then jerked back up and gave him a look of wonder.

"Smell different? Alec...its Shay...do you know who I am?"

While her heart raced with excitement, believing he was going to be fine, and she wouldn't be alone, Shay managed to contain that excitement, and keep her voice reverent. It took a strong, conscious effort on her part, but the last thing she wanted now, was to give her father more pain.

Thinking about the last time she'd showered, and put on perfume, Shay couldn't think of anything she'd done differently. But she hoped maybe it was still a little bit of fog that made Alec think differently, and soon the fog would clear, and he'd know she was the same woman...same smell.

Without thinking she brushed a finger across his cheek, to wipe away the wetness. It was a futile gesture, but automatic.

"Are you in much pain?"

Mentally she kicked herself. Of course he's in pain you twit! Look at the poor man...think of what he went through...use your head!

Shay smiled lovingly at the man she hoped wasn't lost to her forever, the idea of that causing her own acute pain to radiate through her chest.
For a moment, he wondered how often he had spoken gibberish before becoming fully cognizant. Likely the nurses would have plenty information on anything he'd spouted. He had heard that people frequently say some very strange things when under the knife, but did not know if that quite covered his recovery period.

"Yes...I know you. Different, though."

His gut clenched as he realized the change. He couldn't smell Ginnie's scents on their child. At that, another tear slipped down along his nose, where it was unconsciously retrieved by her quick fingers. Studying the way the light played through the droplet, he realized his senses were unbalanced. He'd smelled her too easily, the light was too sparkling. Attempting to exert control over them, he shook his head slightly. The effort made his head swim.

"There is pain and there is pain. The body knits and will be whole again someday."

The vote was still out on the rest of him.
Shay 16 years ago
Oh God! If Alec kept up like this, surely Shay would lose her wits. As it was her own nerves were on par with raw meat, but she would continued to put on a good face, and be strong for as long as she could. They had both been through trauma, but at least hers was ALL mental. It wasn't like she was dealing with mental anguish on top of a broken body.

Afraid she would add more physical pain, she stopped herself from hugging the man, and contented herself to just touch his hand again, resting hers on top of his. Some how the merest connection gave her added strength.

"Are they doing all they can to help that? The pain I mean? Can I get you anything?"

Oh Alec, her mind screamed...Daddy...please...please don't give in to the despair. Mama is gone, but you're still alive...please get better...for me...

And yes, the selfishness of her thoughts weren't going unnoticed. But Shay rationalized all that with a true sense that grief eventually did lessen, and people did go on, and get better, and love again. She'd read all about it...it had to be true...the world wouldn't have survived this long were it not.
Shaking his head, he smiled.

"I have no idea what kind of drugs they are giving me. I imagine they are very good. Things will go easier once I can better control my senses again. Right now, I lack the focus necessary to lessen my sensory input. Some things hurt more than others. The skin is itchy, more than anything. Pain-wise, it is negligible. Breathing is easier now. The leg is not as solid as it was. I suspect that is how I wound up back in bed. The musculature is quite painful, as is the eye."

Taking his hand, he pulled back the sleeve over his pinkish arm. The skin had knit quickly, but covered bone and tendon - the muscle that had once been there had been replaced by the barest of connective tissues and basic musculature. Every motion with it was difficult, strained and painful.

"On the bright side, there won't be much scarring, unlike my last ordeal."

Running his hand over his belly, he once again wondered what had happened, how he'd survived, and why this time was different. Each time, did he cheat death that little bit more, and earn a more grisly fate? Or did death take someone in his place? Was this repayment? Once, he had not wanted to die at all. Now, though...but that was a selfish thought, and uncharitable. He had duties. Granted, he had failed in all of those that mattered, but there was work to do.

Creasing his brow, he said

"Actually, there are some things you could do for me. I may be here quite awhile yet. I need a writing tablet and the hard copy of all of the recon we have for th...that last job. I want to go over all of it. Also, any Clan files that we might have access to on werewolves. Ours are likely fairly spare compared to the other Clans, but until I can get an information exchange approved, I would like to know everything we have. Even loose references."

He had read that after tragedy, some people threw themselves into their work as a coping mechanism, a distraction. He was reasonably certain that Ginnie would not want him moping and unproductive for eternity. So he'd be emotionally damaged but active. Research first, movement later. He wanted to be fully prepared for the next brush with those that took his love.

He would need a very nice silver skinning knife for what he had in mind.
Shay 16 years ago
The more he spoke the stronger his voice became, even if it remained quiet. It wasn't like he needed to yell anyway.

As Alec described himself, and showed her his arm, then drew her attention to his stomach, Shay marveled at his, no their ability to heal, and again was thankful for vampire perks. A second of pause had her wondering just how monsterous Ginnie's injuries had to be, to not escape destruction, but as soon as she knew where her mind was wandering to, Shay put a halt to it.

The most she could muster was an almost imperceptive nod at Alec's reference to scarring. Scarring, losing limbs, an eye...selfishly Shay knew she could deal with these things easily, as long as her father was still alive, and nearby.

Relief, and a renewed sense of purpose struck Shay, as she pulled a pad and pencil from her purse, and jotted down his requests. She wasn't sure where to begin to get the things he needed, but she'd move hell and high water if she had to.

Ripping off the paper, folding it and putting it back into her shoulder bag, Shay closed the pad, clipped the pen to the front of it, and set it on Alec's bedside table.

"I'll take care of that right away, but I'll leave this here for you now, in case you need it.

Do you know who I might see, about getting copies of those records? After I left you here I did go through the stuff in the van...there were some cd's that may have videos on them of whatever was within camera range of the van..."

Would Ginnie have had anything at their place?

"Did you have any data in your apartment?"

Shay had stayed away from Ginnie and Alec's place, knowing there would have been no point to visiting, and afraid of the further emotional trauma she'd have to face to do so. But she knew that was a temporary thing, and had faced up to the fact that she would need to go through Ginnie's things, box them up, and clean up the place before Alec ever went back there. She planned on storing Ginnie's things for now, both unable to bear the thought of throwing them out, as well as not completely feeling appropriate in doing so. When the time came, Alec could give the okay for that. For now Shay just wanted to make his return to the apartment as painless as possible.

It was wonderful to hear Alec making plans. She just knew that was a positive action on his part, and her spirits couldn't help but be buoyed.
Pondering for a moment, Alec tried to recall some of the details.

"My copies are likely being held by the data collections team, still. Mendoza should be able to get them for you. My preliminary workups are all in my apartment. The door traps are enabled, so be careful. The van will have all of the records from that night."

Pausing, he considered what they would have in their...his...apartment. Even thinking it hurt.

"Your mother likely had all of her workups in the silver case that is probably still on the coffee table. Normally I would not want to move anything, but I do not think I will be fit to travel for awhile."

With difficulty, he decided he had to do the fatherly thing, coward or no. Duties had to be performed. Girding himself, he spoke quietly.

"How are you handling things?"
Shay 16 years ago
Torn between wanting to stay at his side, and offer comfort, or dashing out and gathering up the information as quickly as she could, then reconsidering and wondering it perhaps he was diving into all this too quickly, Shay just nodded, and bit her tongue - figuratively. It didn't take rocket science or even a thousand year old vampire to see Alec was hurting, in more ways than one.

Yet again the rational side that said to let him distract himself in whatever way he could, finally won out. Once she found the silver case, and the paperwork he wanted, she would quickly do whatever else needed to be done there, and get that out of the way.

His inquiry into her own personal issues took her a little by surprise. It served to make her feel a whole lot better, knowing he still cared, but that didn't give her the answer to give to him.

She just couldn't tell him she hadn't been sleeping, or doing much else besides crying. Nor that she even forgot to feed for a period that was longer than safe, but had been fortunate enough to have what she needed in her refrigerator, and hadn't gone on a killing spree, even if that thought had occurred to her.

"I'm doing okay."

She responded, quietly, but with more confidence than she really felt.

Now, to get him off that subject as quickly as possible, Shay did just that. She hoped maybe she could do more, with him, in the future, and voiced the idea.

"Lest you forget though...I really don't have a job as of yet, so do you think maybe I can help you, I mean besides just gathering this information?"

Not sure what all Alec had planned, anything would be better than just hanging around the apartment feeling sorry for herself.
Shay was hurting too, that much was clear. Likely she did not want to share the burden, which was thoughtful. He could empathize with that desire, but ultimately it might not serve them as well in the long run. Still...now was not the time. The loss was still far too fresh. Accepting the deflection gracefully, he nodded.

"That entirely depends on how well your training has continued. I'm sure Williams could give you some advanced lessons in firearms and combat. Your shooting was excellent - you would be ready for that. Or Heyn could go over reconnaissance and stealth with you some more, though I would rather do that myself. Perhaps Yolgrave could go over the archives with you - knowing how to retrieve information from our systems is always valuable. It would be a quick lesson for you, to be sure."

And an excuse to see a friend in your time of need, Alec thought to himself. Perhaps she would be more comfortable talking with her emotions with another female. Any or all of the options would give her an opportunity to progress in her training, provide her with distraction and social outlet.

"Also...it has been awhile since we checked in on our human friends. I wonder if junior is getting married or not."
Shay 16 years ago
Training! Shay could totally immerse herself in some good combat training, or target practice... Thinking about who she might be killing, or beating to a pulp, might really do wonders on lifting her spirits, and giving her the needed distractions from her current pain.

Yet she didn't think she could see Dayle yet. She hadn't taken time to analyze that relationship lately, but wasn't sure she was ready to do that, and make any kinds of decisions. Alec didn't need to worry about that though, so again she let the topic sort of just fade away.

"Yes, okay...after I get the stuff you want, I'll call up Williams, and get back into the groove."

Thankful he readily moved onto the subject of their human studies, Shay's interest was again piqued. She had forgotten totally about that family, and found she was very curious to know what trouble they had gotten into since her last visit with them.

"And then I'll check out the humans, and even write up a little report for you, so you can know what's going on now, until you get a chance to return yourself."

Having a purpose for her life again, suddenly made Shay really feel a lot better. She only wished Alec could get the same satisfaction, or even just a bit of it, for himself. But then again, she already had more time to deal with things, than he had...there was hope.
Seeing that she was eager to get into combat situations was a bit of a disappointment, but he would not hold her back. He needed her to be as safe with herself as possible. Even with all of the preparation Ginnie had, it hadn't been enough. He would be loathe to put Shay in a firefight, but he certainly wanted her capable of dispatching any threats to her person. Additionally, she likely had plenty of pent-up frustration and rage. Killing targets and beating on Williams would help a lot with that. So would the return bruises. Pain can be used to block pain, as he was discovering. But filling time was supposedly more efficient. Both in conjunction would likely work miracles.

"Excellent. I look forward to your care package."

Smiling, he patted her hand lightly. He was only mildly curious about the human family, but it had frequently served as a focal point for his own social reorganization and learning. Watching the lessons of other creatures could serve to reinforce his progress...or underline the error of his ways. Perhaps it could do the same for Shay.
Shay 16 years ago
Eyeing him suspiciously, Shay decided she had spent enough time with Alec, that he should have been using to sleep. The visit had done wonders for her, but she could see he hadn't faired as well, and to remain there, keeping him awake, would probably do even worse.

Putting her smaller hand on his, Shay gave her father a smile, leaned down to kiss his cheek, then stepped away from the bed.

"I'll call first, now that I know you're doing so much better, and make sure you're awake before I return. However, if at any time you find you need anything...A N Y T H I N G...call my cell, or have a nurse do so, and let me know, or leave me a message...okay? I mean it...I'm here for you..."

Afraid she was now bordering on being pushy, Shay left it at that. It was difficult to leave, as Alec was her lifeline now, of sorts, but she kept moving backwards slowly until she bumped her back into the door handle.

Blushing, she shook her head, gave him a little wave, and turned out of the room.

(shay & alec out)