Lawyergeist (private)

Peter stood in front of the closed door and read the nameplate to himself, ‘Shiori Yuukaku ADA’. This must be the right one. He had heard some things about Ms. Yuukaku, most of them good, and he had overheard conversations a few times when he happened to be by the Chief’s office when called up and had seen her once or twice for witness questioning. This was the first time he was going to talk to her himself though. Normally one of the younger officers was sent to perform such a menial as delivering some files on a case (if Ms. Yuukaku didn’t send one of her underlings over to the precinct to pick it up), but someone higher up thought Peter should meet her, and many of the officers said he should too, though this was usually accompanied with repressed smiles. And since he had had to look at a nearby attempted robbery that had happened earlier that night, it hadn’t been out of the way to drop the files off too. ‘Well,’ He thought, ‘time to meet this ‘interesting character’.’ Peter checked the nameplate again then knocked.

Yuu 16 years ago
With the recent acquisition of her glass house of snobbery, Yuu had been taking advantage of some of the convalescence leave she ignored after the bombing of the Mayor's home. Her ribs still itched with pain from time to time but overall she was as right as rain. Upon returning she had been notified of changes within the police department that dealt directly with her cases and she was perusing over some information her office had acquired on the new personnel. Nothing interesting, just more of your run of the mill detectives. Whee, more cowboys. She couldn't wait. It was better than waiting on Tai who had again disappeared into the frays of Nachton without a word.

The knock at the door startled her out of her reverie and with an annoyed voice answered it.
'Come in.'
Peter Haines 16 years ago
Peter opened the door, slightly ducking as he walked in. He had grown another inch over the past six days putting him at the total height of 6' 6", one inch away from being so tall he would actually have to duck to avoid most door frames. He had been trying to resist ducking, but the top of the frames sometimes brushed his hair, which heightened the illusion. "I brought the information you requested for the murder case." The case had been semi-transferred over to him, due to the previous officer in charge suddenly coming down with a really debilitating cold. It was a bit complex and would have been hard know where to continue with if Peter hadn’t already been looking at the case in the CSI unit. Thompson had actually kept the case from being transferred to another detective who had his eye on it through considerable effort, until he collapsed had to be taken to the hospital that is. He had requested that Peter be the one to take over the case, and though Peter thought it was mainly to spite the other detective, the reason given was that Peter would know how to continue. So the case had been transferred to him, Office politics, gotta love ‘em. Peter gave the office a quick glancing over behind his sunglasses, taking in the folders, papers, and reference books that were on the desk and shelves. “Where would you like me to put it, Ms. Yuukaku?” he asked the woman sitting at the desk, pronouncing her name flawlessly.
Yuu 16 years ago
It took everything not to do a double take and cower behind her desk at the site of the man stooping down to come in her door. Blinking she looked at the file in her hand and realized that this was the new officer in question. The picture matched but he looked a good couple inches taller than what his profile said. She closed the folder and dropped it in front of her. Yuu stood slowly, smoothing the creases of her dress and nodded to the officer.

'Peter Haines, I pesume. Welcome to Nachton's district attorney's office.' Pointing to her desk she circled the edge of it with her hand extended. He had to be at least a foot taller than her. That was quite the drink of water, she thought to herself AND he got her name right.

'Have you been briefed?'

((ooc - i forget, which case is Peter bringing info on? ))
Peter Haines 16 years ago
Peter shook the offered hand, realizing how small her hands were comparatively. “I guess you could say that,” he replied, “I’ve been in charge of the case since Thompson was taken to the hospital.” It was Peter’s first major case in Nachton, but that doesn’t mean that he didn’t a bit sorry for Thompson. This was the kind of case that could really help an officer like Thompson's career, which is why Thompson had been so stubborn on not letting it go. In fact, the only reason he wasn’t still on it was that whatever cold he had gotten had left him so weak he could barely speak, let alone get out of bed. If Thompson had been any sicker Peter wouldn’t have been able to have gotten the information that hadn’t been on file to keep going. Peter had been busy finishing up where Thompson had left off by connecting the murderers to their boss. The murderers had multiple connections to a certain Giorgio Lambereschi, who had been unofficially suspected to be part in a drug ring before now. There had been nothing they could get him until now however, which is why the suspicions had been officially unofficial. Peter had had to talk to the numerous 'unnamed contacts' to find a way to connect the crime up. The ‘net’ that was so infamously talked about had been too thin to bring near court when Thompson had been hospitalized, but it had become stronger over the past two weeks. It had been long but the net would be able to hold its own in court now and, with a little help from the Assistant District Attorney, hopefully close around Mr. Lambereschi.
Yuu 15 years ago
Right, Thompson thought. A lot of Nachton's civil servants had been in and out of the hospital a lot lately, but then Nachton's been busy the past several months. Since coming to town Yuu could recount several events that included explosions, murders or just a lot of crazy shit. Yuu pointed to the chair in front of her desk, offering Haines a seat.

'Please.' She said, then added, 'So tell me what you know about Nachton? Hear anything fun yet educational?' Yuu smirked, folding her hands across her midriff and leaned back in her chair.
Peter Haines 15 years ago
Peter sat down in the chair, thinking what had happened within the past couple weeks. The ghosts and old case files he had found that talked about stories that were almost too astonishing to be believed.
The discover that there were werewolves other than him, rumors of vampires he had almost disregarded... until he met one. He still didn't know where he stood there, though he knew it was a good idea to keep them as secret as the werewolves.
Peter stretched and inhaled deeply, drinking in the scents of the room, "Anything fun yet educational?" he repeated.
"Well, I found a great little cafe a couple blocks down from my apartment, and some of the language used there is educational, but not always fun to listen to." He shrugged slightly. "And then there's the 'vampire' rumors of course, which seem to be a hazing ritual here." he chuckled. Of course, his viewpoint on the credibility of those stories had changed significantly recently.
Yuu 15 years ago
She had heard the same rumors about the vampires, thanks to Kyle Evans. With a roll of her eyes and a playful smile she nodded.

'Yeah, apparently the Nachton Times makes a great deal of money off of that conspiracy theory. Kyle Evans writes a bit about vampires in his column, but that is definitely not required reading. More toilet humor, really.'

Well, at least he had a sense of humor, Yuu thought to herself. Christ he was huge though. Poking through her files she retrieved the Babylon murder cases and shoved them across the desk.

'Have you read up on the Babylon Murders? Serial killing with what we think resulted in the death of the killer himself, but if you'd believe it, by a vampire.' Yuu did the obligatory air quotes. 'Kyle Evans himself again in that one. It's one of our many very odd open cases. You're more than welcomed to take a look at them.'
Peter turned the folder around and scanned the first couple pages, glancing at the name of the detective in charge, and gave a small 'hm' noise of recognition.
"Misewics," he murmered, "that would explain some of the detail."
He continued flipping through the papers, pausing on the pictures of the crime scene. "I don't envy whoever had to take these." he commented quietly before continuing.
It was a couple more pages before he paused again, this time on the notes from the interrogation. "Ah, and here's Kyle Evans. He seems... colorful, to say the least." Peter noted looking over the papers, "He reacted to the picture indictated by the previous person you interogated. The Russian Diplomat?"
Peter flipped back a couple pages. "Russian Diplomat, Iov-" he glanced at the picture and stopped. The image of the two men in the forest flashed through his brain. Brig and Hammer, the other werewolves. "-Hammerthynn." he finished. Oh.
Yuu 15 years ago
'Right. The picture of the alleged murder suspect and a woman. Evans seemed to pale just looking at it, but he invoked and we never got the chance to ask him why.' Yuu shrugged. 'It was curious. The case has since gone inactive since there has been no other killings similar to the Babylon murders. No further contact with Mr. Hammerthynn, either.'

Yuu thought for a minute and rocked in her chair.
'You want to follow up on this? Talk to Evans and the Russian? Or was there anything else you were interested in?
"I don't know how much more I could find, but I'll poke around." offered Peter, "Who knows, I might get lucky and stumble upon one of your reporter's
infamous 'vampires'."
'And it would give me a good reason to ask a couple of other questions of Mr. Hammerthynn' he added to himself, 'even though I really don't want to.'
"Actually you would be lucky if you didn't ." spoke the man behind Yuu.
"True," Peter nodded before doing a double take on the man. 'When did he walk in?' wondered Peter to himself, waiting to be introduced.

((OOC: Ghost speaking in Comic Sans MS))
Yuu 15 years ago
'Well, you can find Evans at the Nachton Times. The Russian, Iov Hammerthynn, you can find or at least arrange a meeting at Stafford Enterprises.' Yuu handed him the contact information and saw a look pass over his face. Ignoring it she stood and held her hand out.

'Looking forward to working with you, Mr. Haines. If you need anything, just let me know.'

((OOC - Out pending response))
The contact information was placed in the black notebook while Peter's eyes shifted between Yuu and the man behind her through the dark glasses. 'He's dead.' Peter realized silently, then noting the clarity of the specter, 'Either someone just had a heart attack and is out for a last minute stroll or he's a murder victim.'
Peter took her hand, shaking it firmly, "Sure thing. If I find anything I'll." He nodded, putting away the black book with his free hand.
He glanced at the dead man's spirt one more time before leaving the office. 'Another day, another mystery... or three.' he thought, 'There's more murder victim's ghosts in this city than murder reports.'

((OOC- Peter Out))