You promise it'll be worth it? (Attn: Belle)

He'd had his plans, Belle had had hers, and all too readily, Ambrose had agreed to hers. If she pushed just the right buttons there was, very little Belle couldn't convince him to do. That and he was sure he could persuade her round to his plans later and then they'd both be happy.

Ambrose was still working out the math of three horses and four riders and her insistence that they go down to the stables. A few ideas floated around his head. Maybe Alex had his own horse, maybe Belle was planning on bringing up one of the mares, or maybe she'd just arrange to borrow some one else's horse. Ambrose wasn't particularly worried, he much preferred to give his thoughts to his roaming hands and trying to keep things socially appropriate for Belle and causing trouble.

"So you wanted to go for a ride?"Â?

He was a bit determined and used those words suggestively as they walked down to the stables.

Ysabel 17 years ago
Ambrose was being delightfully grabby as they made their way to the stables after a brief side trip. There was no way she was going to play with her horses in a hoop skirt, so she'd left him wanting in the hallway with just a kiss and a little wave for five minutes. Well, it might have been more like ten. Or fifteen.

Be that as it may, Ambrose had still been waiting when she emerged in clothing much more suitable to the stable. Impatience had made his hands wander, or attempt to do so, and she simply skipped on ahead at random intervals, dancing back now and then to sidle up against him and brush a kiss over his cheek.

The stable was quiet but cheerful, the aisle warmly-lit and clean. Ysabel made her way down it, offering treats to her gentlemen as she passed them, but she went on by and stopped instead at the stall of the appalloosa mare, who she had decided to give Ambrose the pleasure of naming.

"She was meant to be for Christmas," Ysabel said as she mare came to the front of the stall, "but it took me a little while to find a lady I wouldn't mind sharing you with."

Not to mention one with the bloodlines and training suitable, she added to herself. Even if the genealogy hadn't been important, she'd still made sure the horse she bought for Ambrose was spirited enough to keep pace, but dependable and smooth enough that mothing short of a firecracker under the saddle would make her unseat her rider.

"I hope you approve."
Ambrose 17 years ago
It was something Ambrose was glad Belle had half bullied him into, riding again. He loved the smell, the light, and the sounds.

He’d followed along with her teasing and playing until they’d entered the stables and he hadn’t wanted to upset the horses. She’d paid attention to each of her own animals and he’d stopped to visit with Elegy. They’d made friends after all. Curiosity got the better of him when she stopped at a fourth stall and with a friendly pat to the horse, he joined her.

The lady in question brought him up short. Ambrose was sure he’d told Belle about his last horse, having him sold as part of his estate after his unfortunate ‘passing’. However, Ambrose was equally sure he’d never mentioned the Comanche was an appaloosa.

A quick kiss and a rakish grin and Ambrose was in the stall with his present. She was curious but calm. Turning her head to watch him closely but not shifting her position and he couldn’t help smiling like a boy. Propping his cane up against his leg, he held his hand out to her, letting her explore it as he slid a hand up her neck.

“Belle she’s perfect. I didn’t even bring a carrot.”

The mare chuffed at the obvious lack of a treat and she nudged him square in the chest and Ambrose laughed.

“What’s her name?”
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel's smile lit her face up. The wait had been worth it, to see Amber smile like that. It was an expression she didn't often see on his face. The fact that his kiss to her was quick before he was inside the stall with the mare was a testament to his pleasure, as well.

She quickly retrieved a bucket of oat cookies from the tack trunk in front of Elegy's stall and gave a handful to Ambrose, though it didn't seem he and the mare were going to have any trouble making friends.

"She doesn't have a name yet," Ysabel said. "I thought I'd let you take care of that."

She couldn't wait to ride with him. She'd missed riding Elegy just a bit, but even moreso she was lookng forward to seeing her cowboy on an appropriate cowboy mount, and the appaloosa's temperament and conformation were both beyond reproach. Ysabel had ridden the mare several times herself and had longed her as well; the lady was poetry in motion, every muscle and movement a picture of restrained power.

"Did you want to ride?" She raised her brows at him. "She's been settled in here for some time. I just had her at the other end of the aisle where you wouldn't notice her. I'm glad it worked."
Ambrose 17 years ago
“Did you know my last horse, he got sold after I ‘died’, was an appy. Comanche, he was a bit of something special.”

He still missed that horse too.

Ambrose ran his hands down the mare’s legs and along her back, feeling her lines. She was a bit of something special too. Trust Belle to find as near a perfect mount as possible, the woman had excellent taste and was more than a little knowledgeable in this field. He let his hand linger as he accepted the hand full of oats and offered them to his nameless beauty.

Soft lips and warm breath on his hand he smiled at the horse and the vixen behind him.

“Sneaky Belle, damned sneaky. But damned if I don’t approve.”

As the horse finished her treat, he again pat her neck.

“I thought you’d never ask.”

With out a doubt his present was accustom to western tack and neck reigning. While he’d gotten most of his confidence back, working with Elegy this would be like going home.
Ysabel 17 years ago
I didn't know," Ysabel said. "I just thought it seemed 'you.'"

Ysabel couldn't stop smiling; fortunately here was no need. To see Ambrose happy was a gift of its own. Reaching down and then over the stall door, she handed Ambrose the mare's halter and lead, finely-made of rolled leather and only showing slight wear.

While he played with it, she opened Elegy's stall door and curved her hand around the gelding's muzzle, walking him out into the aisle like that, using her hand in lieu of a halter. Once there, he stood quietly while she went to fetch it and then busied herself getting their various sets of tack.

This was perfect, she thought. Having someone to share her horses with, someone who loved them as much as she did. Sharing Elegy had been fine, but it was even better having given the mare to Ambrose. Having your own mount was always better than borrowing one, no matter how freely given. There was nothing more comfortable than learning your horse's attitude and movements to the tiniest little detail. It became an art, a relaxation technique, and a dance all in one.

"Now you see why we can take Alec and Amberelle with us," she added cheerfully. "No one will have to sit out."
Ambrose 17 years ago
"You'll have to help me name her though. When I got Comanche he'd already been named."Â?

Ambrose had lead the mare out into the aisle and put her in the cross ties as went to help Belle. He sure as hell wasn't going to let her do all the work. He might be slow without his cane but he could carry two saddles and a few other things. Although with the load he had to pay special attention to his balance.

As he helped her back he frowned.

"Oh yeah. That works."Â?

He'd been so excited with his new present Ambrose had forgotten all about the other couple.

Paying special attention to his mount as he did a quick grooming of her, trying to learn her personality had asked, slightly distractedly.

"I'm guessing Amberelle talked to you."Â?
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel ran her hands over Elegy's smooth coat, as always admiring the shadowy, silky black hairs over the thick muscle. He was clean already, and didn't appear to have been out during the day. A fine, soft brush was all that was needed to remove the little dust that was there, and she leaned over at each hoof to pick it up and inspect it as well.

Straightening and turning back to Ambrose she tilted her head. "I speak with Amberelle often enough," she replied, her brow furrowed slightly. "Do you mean, about Alex? Or was there something else?"

Retrieving her saddle and its accompanying fleece blanket, she carefully placed both high up on Elegy's withers and slid them into place, running her hand along underneath to make sure there were no wrinkles or pinched hairs. Once she'd loosely buckled the girth she picked up Ambrose's new saddle as well and held it for him until he was ready for it.
Ambrose 17 years ago
The mare nickered softly as he finished the quick grooming. He hated not having a name for her. A horse was a partner and deserved to have an identity.

“Yeah about Alex. I guess I never figured on having to offer advice.”

He took the saddle from Belle and confidently settled it into place, leaving her for a few minutes while he coaxed the bridle on buckling it into place.

“I’m hoping you want to try the trails over an arena ride.”

It would make more sense to get used to his present in a more controlled environment, but Ambrose was far too excited about having a horse again to want to do things just because he ‘should’.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel held Elegy;s bit out to him, smiling and stroking his muzzle affectionately when he stretched his head forward and took the bit without hesitation. Buckling everything into place she nodded to Ambrose.

"I hadn't expected to either, but I do hope I was able to ease Amberelle's mind on a few issues."

She offered Ambrose an apologetic smile. "I do, after all, have plenty of experience in living with men. Although I admit to a large measure of bliss in having met one I can truly be my cheerfully bloodsucking self with."

She leaned in to him, holding Elegy's reins at the ends, offering Ambrose a quick, soft kiss on the lips. Hopefully he would understand just what she meant, how much she loved not only him, but never having to hide anything from him. Ysabel would be the first to say humans had their strengths, and indeed she'd very nearly taken Alex to task for his statement that being involved with your own kind was better... but she also had to admit she agreed, in her way. Nothing was like having a lover who understood your ins and outs.

Turning her attention back to the enjoyment at hand, she considered Ambrose's words. The sky was light enough for night time, and although she didn't normally ride the trails, she knew they were well-groomed enough that she didn't have to worry about the conditions. The moon was fairly full and bright, so she nodded to Ambrose.

"All right, but we should warm them up in the ring first."
Ambrose 17 years ago
Ambrose couldn’t recall ever asking any one’s advice on taking a vampire lover. Perhaps that was arrogance on his part but he hadn’t thought, still didn’t think, it was necessary to consult with any one else about his relationship with Belle. Of course, not everyone was as blindly sure of themselves, that that Ambrose could tell you if that was a good thing or a bad thing. He let Belle’s kiss distract him from that train of thought.

“So long as I know this person you’re being yourself with I think I can relate to your… … bliss.”

He nearly tripped over the word. It was not part of his vocabulary and felt somewhat awkward. Checking the chinch one more time he nodded his agreement to Belle. He was in a bit of a hurry to unwrap his present, as it were, but not in so much of a hurry that he couldn’t do the right thing.

“Need a leg up?”

He asked giving her a blatant and rakish grin.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel fluttered her eyelashed coyly at Ambrose. "Why, Mister Townsend. I'd love a leg up, if I could be assured that your intentions were honorable."

With a playful wink, acknowledging that Amber's intentions were definitely not honorable, she tripped ahead of him, lightly skipping alongside Elegy as they headed to the ring.

She ignored his tripping over the awkward word; Ysabel knew 'mushy stuff' wasn't Ambrose's forte. If words of love were what she'd needed, she would have died of neglect long ago. It was enough that Ambrose's actions were the true indicator of his feelings, that was what spoke volumes to her.

Right now, though, she wanted him to enjoy his new present. There would be plenty of time for lovemaking (and plenty of lovemaking) later on!
Ambrose 17 years ago
“Honor is my middle name ma’am.”

Despite his best efforts, he looked lecherous. His middle name was Isaac and she damned well knew it.

Offering her the little boost into the saddle, he managed to slide his hand up her leg. Way up her leg, too far for propriety at the very least and almost to completely inappropriate. He’d yet to completely thank her for his gift, and Belle was probably well aware what was on his mind. Grinning with a devilish air, he turned to his own mount for the evening and led the mare to the ring and to a mounting block. No matter how often he attempted it Ambrose simply couldn’t manage that one basic skill with only one good leg. It was a source of constant aggravation to him, but no matter how he tried, it couldn’t be over come. With this being the mare’s first time working with him it wouldn’t be fair to the horse to try again.

Settled in the saddle he relaxed almost immediately. While he had a great fondness and appreciation for Elegy, this was different, it was special. With a firm pat to her neck he nudged his horse into a walk slowly getting used to her gate and giving her time to become accustom to him. She had a smooth easy rhythm, but as evidenced by the movement of her ears she wasn’t dead she was simply waiting for his queue. Circling the ring, several times, he finally asked her for a trot and she immediately responded.

Altering his seat slightly a one sided smile crept across his face. It didn’t matter how long he’d been alive, how far technology advanced this would always be perfect, just the way it was meant to be, man and horse working as one.