Interclan relations

Alfarinn opened the door for Thaddeus and smiled. The Anantya was probably regretting the decision about now. He didn't really blame him, Thaddeus was putting a lot of trust into the hands of a stranger. That took a lot of resolve. He understood just how bad the man wanted to find this killer and what lengths he was likely to go to in order to find him. Alfarinn had tracked down someone for very similar personal vengeance in his own past.

Mai 18 years ago
Mai had lurked in the darkness of the museum watching Ba-di-kun and the Evenhet. It seemed right to trust him but she would not let Thaddeus go anywhere that she could not follow. Seeing the limo pull up, she was repulsed but she'd even crawl into that tiny moving space for her Ba-di.

Before Thaddeus could step in, Mai moved out of the shadows and stood in front of him.

"Not alone, Alfarinn-san" With that said she did not wait for his approval but crawled into the car.
Thaddeus Grey 18 years ago
Thaddeus's heart stopped.

It seemed to take forever to start again, but when at last it resumed, it did not beat but pounded so loudly he was sure the ground shook with it. It was a miracle to Thaddeus; he had felt sure his heart had broken in two when Mai appeared before them.

Not my Mai. Dammit. Should have known she was here. Dammit!

He refused to allow himself to feel safer, refused to be relieved at her presence. And when she crawled into the waiting limo, he would not allow himself to feel overwhelming admiration that she had done such a brave thing without hesitation, in spite of the danger and revulsion.

She wasn't supposed to be here! He would have of course told her everything, explained what had happened, but as long as she wasn't there, wasn't directly involved in this conversation, she wasn't responsible for Thaddeus's rule breaking. Now he was dragging her down that dark trail as well, and the thought horrified him.

He took a deep, calming breath. Move forward. Don't dwell. Get in the damn limo. He looked Alfarinn in the eyes.

Trust me. Everything is alright.

Then he climbed into the limo after Mai. As much as he would have liked to be able to discuss this new arrangement, they really needed to stay out of the open. Everyone could get into the limo and then sort this all out.

It was not unpleasant inside; Thaddeus had certainly been in more uncomfortable places in the course of his duties in the Order. While not exactly his preferred private meeting place, it was certainly a preferable mode of modern transportation.

He looked over at Mai, sitting still and calm as always in the limo. He couldn't help but admire her now; she had taken an even larger leap of faith than he. Thaddeus felt vaguely overwhelmed and undeserving of that kind of trust, and it made his heart ache with both love and guilt.

I've got one hell of a friend right here. And I'm just about the worst person in the world if I fuck this up.

He then turned his attention to Alfarinn. He had been so focused on Mai's arrival that he had missed the other man's reaction, but it didn't take a genius to realize that this probably looked really, really bad from his point of view.

Alfarinn, I assume you know Mai. Her unexpected arrival proves quite fortuitous, for she is tied up in this puzzle just as much, if not more, than we are.

There. Let him see this isn't a planned ambush. Let him see our interests are aligned.

God, let him see.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn was momentarily startled by Mai's sudden appearance. He watched incredulously as she clambered into his vehicle.

Turning back to Thaddeus, he noted the boy looked equally surprised. His feelings suggested that this was not what he intended. Well enough...still Mai was dangerous. Her feelings were harder to read but he did sense her revulsion for the limo. Thaddeus must be more important to her than most. Interesting.

Alfarinn slid into the seat after his guests and shut the door. He signaled the driver to put them under way.

Looking at the Anantya, he asked.

"Anywhere in particular that you would like to go? I had no specific location in mind, the limo is more safe than most places I can think of."

He pushed a button and a large piece of glass separated the driver's area from their own.

"Just let me know."
Mai 18 years ago
Mai looked around the small space noting various ways of getting out of it should she have to. She was relieved when Thaddeus joined her. His presence was comforting.

She reached out and held on lightly to his sleeve. It will be over soon.

Mai hated vehicles in ways normal people just couldn't understand. She depended greatly on her ability to sense things around her and it was not something she could easily shut down. So when the car began to move, Mai felt that familiar wave of nausea that came from objects and people being pulled through her senses at a rapid pace.

She fervently hoped she wouldn't be sick, no doubt that wouldn't help Ba-di's discussion with Alfarinn-san. Closing her eyes, she tried to bring her senses back into just the limo.

((OOC: yes, we fell unconscious and didn't wake up for a long while. ))
Hmm. If he's angry, he isn't showing it. Hopefully he understands, then. Of course, he's been playing the game a long time. We're all in the limo now, though; that's a start.

Let's just drive for the moment, thank you.

He was about to lift his hand to rub thoughtfully at his chin when he realized Mai was holding onto his sleeve. Instead, he moved his little finger ever so slightly so that it just barely touched hers.

Much as he hated to force Mai to remain inside the vehicle, he could think of no better place to continue the discussion. Alfarinn would feel safer on his own turf and Thaddeus had Mai with him now in case things went badly; their footing was as equal, or at least balanced, as it was going to get.

However, Thaddeus realized he was about to tip the scale tremendously in Alfarinn's favor. It seemed to cost Alfarinn nothing to tell Thaddeus the truth; things were different in reverse.

But perhaps if he made an appeal to Alfarinn's sense of self preservation, he could make the other man clear of the danger without sounding threatening. The last thing he wanted was to bully this man; he just needed him to know the sensitivity of his information.

There is an inherent danger in knowing too much, Alfarinn. I don't know that Emma knew the stakes when she went to Bulgaria; it is important to me that you go into this aware of the possible consequences. I will likely be dealt with...severely...if word what I am about to tell you reached certain ears within my clan.

For you the potential danger is much greater, I fear.

In this moment, you can ask your driver to pull over, let us out, and drive away. You can be content in the knowledge that your information may have helped us in some way and that we believe what you have told us tonight. If you choose to hear what we have to say, you must understand that to go further puts us all at risk.

He paused thoughtfully for a moment and spared a glance at Mai before going on.

For me it is an acceptable risk.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled placidly at Thaddeus. It was good to know that he understood there were risks involved. Of course, Alfarinn saw very little harm in knowing whatever it was that the Anantya was about to tell him. Certainly there was more harm in not having knowledge in most cases and he doubted this was any different. Perhaps he was being over confident again.

"I am one of the ones that make the rules of Evenhet and therefore know when its time to break them. Besides we are more lenient in extra clan activities than Anantya."

He took a moment to look over at Mai. She looked slightly ill. Alfarinn held up a hand to delay any further conversation and pushed the button to lower the glass between them and the driver.

"Please find us a parking deck or somewhere equally suitable so that we make continue our discussion in a stationary location."

Once the driver nodded, he raised the glass once more.

"Emma was my friend. I have very few of those these days. I believe avenging her death is worth the risks."

He sighed quietly and leaned back against to ponder. [Slow down Alfarinn and think about the consequences a moment]

"We must be careful that our association does not inspire paranoia between our clans and possibly start a war that neither of us would care to see. I believe though that if we proceed with caution then perhaps we can solve this puzzle with minimal bloodshed."
Thaddeus nodded his head in the affirmative.

Then we are agreed on the need for extreme discretion in this matter.

He went quiet for a long moment after this, and his face took on a look of intense concentration. At last, he looked up again, facing Alfarinn but glancing occasionally at Mai.

It is my belief that many of the events in the past few days, indeed, many events in my life, did not occur by chance. There are certain things that we are born to do, or to be, and our choices, though occasionally seemingly irrational by conscious standards, can lead us to our fates.

I believe our three fates are intertwined in this matter. I do not know where this path will lead us, but it is a road of inevitability that we cannot easily turn away from. I believe we are meant to solve this mystery together, the three of us, and no one else. I believe we must exchange whatever knowledge necessary in order to find Emma's killer without fear of betrayal, and I am surprised to find that I believe it is more than possible, in spite of our many differences, to do so.

"However,"Â? and here Thaddeus's face took on a dark cast "there is one more thing I would like understood before we continue.

When we find Emma's murderer, his fate will be decided by the three of us and none other. He will not be brought before either Clan, or a committee of Ancients. We will deliver justice in this matter.

When we find him, we're going to kill him. Mai and I. And if you want to stop us, it is best we end this now.
Mai 18 years ago
Mai smiled slightly as she felt Thaddeus's hand touch her own. Ba-di was always thinking of her. She was relieved when Alfarinn suggested they stop somewhere and continue to speak. Even though she would still be cramped in this small funny smelling place, at least it would no longer be moving.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn regarded Thaddeus silently for a moment. Killing was something he rarely did and was never to be taken lightly. He doubted the composed figure in front of him speaking so calmly of killing had ever actually done so.

"I understand that sentiment certainly. I agree that this matter should be kept between us. It is most likely that some clan is involved, mine, yours or the orphans."

He watched Thaddeus a long moment before continuing quietly.

"It has dawned on you that this person might even be Anantya? As difficult as that thought might be to bare, it must be considered. What will you do then, my friend?"
Thaddeus pinched the bridge of his nose.

And so it begins. The turn down the road of no return. Sharing things that I have never spoken out loud.

I am compelled to consider such possibilities, dark as they are. Our minds take us to places we do not wish to go, but must, and mine is no different.

I am at heart a historian, Alfarinn. History tells us that this would not be the first time a clansman killed one of their own. I cannot dismiss the possibility that it has happened again. However, there is -nothing- that points me to that conclusion. No possible motive. No evidence of any kind. No theories that hold any sort of water.

Thaddeus paused, thinking. In truth, he struggled to complete the threads of his own thoughts in this matter, to follow them to their ultimate conclusions. The thought of the killer being Anantya led him only to a gray haze of rage and pain and betrayal, a fog he could not penetrate. But that didn't matter. If it came to that, he would know what to do.

And Thaddeus did not believe it would come to that.

A person may reside in the Anantya manor. Anantya blood may flow through their veins.

That does not make them Anantya.

I do what I must, Alfarinn. I do what I am born to do, what I was turned to do, and what my mind tells me is my duty. I would die for my clan or kill for them; I think I do better by living for them, but that is another debate I suppose. Anantya is greater than the sum of its individuals, and its principles are above those of any man. We individuals are the hands and feet, the eyes and ears.

Thaddeus closed his eyes, remembering, then spoke, softly and deliberately.

And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn stared at Thaddeus in mild shock. It would seem to boy had contemplated that bleak possibility. Still, thinking it and actually having to face it or two different things.

He felt a certain sort of pride the young man's words. Alfarinn had come from Anantya, after all, and though he believed, as Megan did, that they paths needed to part in order that Evenhet may walk forward into the future, Alfarinn still felt sympathy for Thaddeus's words and his very obvious loyalty to his clan. You found a real treasure in this one, Emma, it saddens me that you did not get a chance to know him better through the ages.

"So long as you fully understand the darkness this path could lead us into. Frankly, Thaddeus, the idea frightens me. I feel no shame in telling you that. It frightens the hell out of me. This person could be mine or yours and the repercussions of killing such a person... well, its staggering."

Alfarinn pushed his hands through his hair absently I see no way to avert a war if such a thing happened. Even should we tell them the truth there would surely be hard feelings on one side because one of their members would now be dead. The clansman responsible in helping that happen is likely to be considered a traitor to his clan. Even me. I would not be able to simply kill a member of Evenhet without first having the agreement of Megan as well. Perhaps she would be forgiving." He shrugged "And perhaps not. I'd like to think she knows me better than to think I would kill for no reason but the crime is still there."

He sighed and continued. "We could hope it to be neither of our clans but Tacharan poses a problem as well. They have become strong enough to be a threat and killing one of theirs would make them all the more dangerous to both our clans. Let us hope beyond hope that this person is clanless."
That will have to be good enough.

While not the spelled out acceptance of Thaddeus's wishes he had hoped for, it was good enough that Alfarinn understood that Thaddeus wanted the killer dead and would have no interference. The details and diplomacy were a bridge they would cross later; Thaddeus did not wish war and if a peaceful solution that ended in the killer's death was to be had, he was willing to take that avenue. However, there was little use in worrying about such things before the situation arose; right now they should focus on figuring out the information, which meant Thaddeus would have to start talking.

This is a frightening path indeed, with information, knowledge, as our only small lights in the darkness.

I fear I have misled you to a small degree; my intent was not to deceive, but to wait for such a time when I could fully explain myself.

Emma's death was not the act of a single vampire. While she was murdered by one person, and I will get to how I know that in a moment, her death was planned carefully by at least one person and executed by another.

I do not know if this knowledge makes our path more difficult or less; conspiracies leave trails that individuals do not, but this could mean a much more dangerous situation.

Furthermore, I am certain both men still live.

Thaddeus took a deep breath, trying to organize his thoughts in a more linear manner. It wouldn't do for him to get the accounting out of order and miss a detail that would be of significance to Alfarinn. He needed to explain everything, but that would be easier if the skeleton of the information was laid out. Then they could add flesh to bone.

As he thought, he pulled a small velvet bag out of his jacket pocket and clutched it in his gloved hand.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn nodded. He was not sure yet whether that made things more or less difficult. Two people, or more, if this were a larger plot would likely leave more of a trail than one person alone. He was curious just how Thaddeus came by this information and what made him so certain of it.

"I see, do continue."
Thaddeus nodded his head, but continued to think for a moment longer. This sort of thing could not be rushed, after all. Finally he spoke, keeping his tone carefully steady, without pausing.

Two nights ago Mai found a ring. She brought it to me to examine. I have a talent with such things. I determined upon examination, to my surprise, that the ring had once belonged to Emma, and in fact she wore it the night she was murdered. From there the ring fell into the killer's hands, and was then placed in a small box.

The ring remained in that box until two nights ago, when it was removed and dropped on the street. The hand that dropped the ring differed from the killer's hand.

I cannot explain how I know that both men are alive; psychometry is a somewhat variable art, pushing knowledge into one's mind in strange and unfamiliar ways. I believe it was my sense that told me this, and not my own imagination.

That is how the long cold trail suddenly came to life again, though this clue tells us little if anything. I have kept the ring close to me here Thaddeus lifted the velvet bag as I believe that is the safest place, and I intend to attempt to sense it again, but I fear excessive contact will dilute the effectiveness of my skills. I am waiting for a hint of what to look for in my senses before I examine the ring again, which is where you come in.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn did his very best to keep his hands to himself. It was difficult though and there was a little twitch of that automatic need to reach out and touch this thing that could give him more clues. Thaddeus was the one running this show, however, and he might not take too kindly to Alfarinn's curious nature. He was not sure from what Thaddeus said if he knew that Alfarinn also possessed the ability to get information from items or if he simply hoped Alfarinn could give him further information that would have clarified things that Thaddeus had already sensed with the ring. He suspected the later.

"So you possess Emma's gift of Psychometry? A very handy thing to pass on." Alfarinn wasn't sure Thaddeus knew Emma was also gifted in the area. He could guess from the when he remembered Thaddeus being spoken of as a new Anantya and the reports of Emma's death that Thaddeus had very little time with his creator. If he did not know of this connection perhaps it would bring him some comfort.

He paused, looked at his hands once again to make sure they were behaving and not doing anything his conscious mind would regret.

"I also possess that skill. It was one we both had in common. I used it and my empathy to help me with clues and she used her's in connection with her tracking. I don't suppose you'd happen to possess that trait as well?' Alfarinn raised his eyebrows in a hopeful manner but certainly if Thaddeus had been a tracker he'd have done so by now.
Mai 18 years ago
Mai listened to the two men talk while she gazed out the window. It helped her not to feel so enclosed knowing that just beyond this glass was the rest of the world.

Her Ba-di had things well in hand and was explaining the situation in an orderly fashion. There was nothing she needed to add. Mai wished momentarily for a few pieces of paper to fold but pushed the futile wish aside and contiued to look at the colorful cars in the parking lot.

Then Alfarinn-san explained that he had the same ability as Thaddeus. Inspiriation struck her suddenly as to why they needed to come here and speak with the 'other'. They needed his help.

She leaned over and gently picked up Ba-di's hand and one of Alfarinn's and brought them both together, once they were clasped Mai went back to looking out the window.

((OOC: Permission granted to move Thaddeus and Alfarinn))
'An empath! Good god, this whole time we've been talking...' Thaddeus thought back through the wide range of emotions he'd gone through in the course of this strange meeting. He wanted to groan and put his head in his hands.

'Wait, can't do that. Stop thinking! Dammit! No, stupid, don't stop thinking, stop -feeling-. Are you feeling anything? No? Good. We can still do this. Why is he looking at me like that? He asked a question. Answer the question. Okay. Just...don't feel anything else.'

This mental instruction was quickly forgotten when Mai reached over and put his hand into Alfarinn's, then returned to looking calmly out the window.

Thaddeus was used to most of Mai's...eccentricities. She always seemed to have a purpose for the things she did, and he had learned to trust in her instincts without understanding her reasons. He wondered sometimes if even -she- understood her own motivations.

Even so, Thaddeus did not like strange people touching him. He didn't like touching strange people, for that matter. 'Of all things...'

Before he could finish that thought, though, another interrupted it.

'Our hands are still joined. I'm sitting here, gawking at Mai, and our hands are still joined.'

Completely unnerved and horrified to find himself -blushing-, something he very rarely did, he pulled his hand away without meeting Alfarinn's eyes.

Now what on earth had she done that for...
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn looked down at his hand entwined in the Anantya's gloved one. What an odd thing to do. His empathy didn't require him to touch Thaddeus though it did make it easier. His companion was uncomfortable at the very least and this new development didn't help. For his part, while the man was far from hideous, Alfarinn did prefer to make such overtures on his own if that was his inclination.

He quirked an eyebrow at Mai

"Well, I'm certainly happy you wish us to be friends but I think we were doing just fine without the hand holding."

He let Thaddeus pull away from him and noticed the boy was blushing. [Great time to be a smart ass Alfarinn, you'll give him heart failure.] He crossed his arms over his chest lest Mai decide to try again. Thaddeus had given him no answer to his question and from the looks of it either didn't hear him at all or totally forgot that he had been asked something.

Alfarinn smiled slightly and asked again.

"So, do you per chance possess the tracking skill?"
Using the question to brush off the previous embarrassment (which Thaddeus expected was Alfarinn's intention, a fact for which he felt some small gratitude), Thaddeus answered quickly and sharply, though he still did not quite meet the other man's eyes.

No, I did not inherit that particular gift. The Psychometry, however, was directly from Emma without a doubt; I am told that even the specifics of our sense are similar.

He rested his elbows on his knees and schooled himself from looking at Mai. It was his personal belief that gifts were a private matter; it was odd enough to openly discuss his own talents, but revealing another's would be the height of rudeness.

Of course, for Alfarinn to reveal that he and Emma shared the gift of psychometry was not ill mannered at all in his mind; though obviously Sorin had mentioned this to him before, it was a fact Thaddeus privately delighted in and he never minded that similarity being mentioned. And to have Alfarinn be a psychometrist as well! Thaddeus couldn't help but be excited by that; most of his training in that particular art came from books, as the gift was somewhat rare. He found it especially interesting to learn how the gift was used in combination with other talents to achieve the greatest results. Why, with Alfarinn's help...

Now Thaddeus could not help glancing up at Mai sharply, then across from him directly into Alfarinn's eyes. He wondered if the other man realized it yet. He began peeling off his gloves, rushing now, exchanging the velvet bag from one hand to the other. He did not notice that his hands shook in anticipation. He spoke in a rushed fashion, concentrating on his gloves, almost speaking to himself more than Alfarinn.

The fact that you and I possess the same gift is no accident; no...I've read about this, I'm sure we could do it...and if not we've lost little, hopefully nothing...

He jerked his head up sharply, pulling himself out of his babbling and looking again at Alfarinn, eagerness all to apparent.

Did you and Emma ever attempt to combine your Psychometric powers?
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn watched Thaddeus in a bemused fashion. What on earth has gotten into him? One minute he's embarrassed and the next he's so intent on something that the earlier feeling was totally forgotten.

He did answer the question this time though and Alfarinn sighed disappointedly. So he did not possess a tracking ability. A shame really. Well, at any rate he had gleaned that there were two killers or at least two people responsible. Alfarinn's mind wandered back onto this. What if one person could not kill her for some reason.. too far away? Not skilled? Too risky? Could be anything. Perhaps the second person just didn't like doing the dirty work or felt another person murdering in their place was a better way to hide things. This all assumes someone hired the other, for all he knew the two were equal partners or worse yet a part of a group. Clanless perhaps? Seeking to take out elders? If so then why has there not been another hit in all of these years?

He was startled back from his thoughts by Thaddeus's question.

"Pardon? Oh, no, we had thought to try that at some point when we were of the same clan but never had the time. After that, I'm afraid we found it even more difficult to do. Most of the times we were in real competition with each other. Though had the situation warranted it, I am sure we would have."

Alfarinn looked incredulously over at Mai and then back at Thaddeus. The sly woman... that might actually help."

"It is worth a try, is it not?" He smiled faintly at Thaddeus waiting for his reply.