Coffee Break (private)

Thaddeus was halfway through making coffee for himself and Palmer when it occurred to him to wonder when he had learned to use the coffee machine. Not that it was difficult, but that he'd done it without even thinking suggested another long engrained habit he wasn't even aware of.

Well, he supposed it wasn't stranger than anything else about the past few days.

He poured the coffee into two mugs and brought them out to the dining room where there had been any number of chats and conversations that he no longer remembered. He stepped carefully over Skodde (and hadn't -that- been a shock) to set the mugs on table, then looked to the window, where Palmer was standing, looking out.

His friend had been a constant throughout this whole mess, though apparently he hadn't even written Palmer when they discovered the ring and the subsequent trail of evidence (a point he harped on at some length). His attempts to explain that there must have been a very good reason he hadn't written had fallen largely on deaf ears, but other than that the huntsman had been nothing but sympathetic.

Oddly, though, when he mentioned surprise at the length of his hair, Palmer laughed for several minutes and then refused to explain himself, saying he'd understand sooner or later.

Sighing a little, he picked up the mugs again and brought them over to set on the window sill. Casting about for a way to make conversation with his unusually quiet friend, he finally hit upon a question that had bothered him a little over the past few days, but seemed safe enough to ask.

"Palmer, am I singularly insufferable to everyone I meet?"Â?

Jan had mentioned the fact that he had been less than pleasant at their first meeting, and Alfarinn had said he'd been confrontational at best. He thought he'd been polite enough to Palmer but now he questioned that assessment.

Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer stared out the window at the streets below, reflecting on everything from the clubs he hadn’t seen in Nachton to Thaddeus’s sudden…dependence.

Well, to be fair, he imagined anyone would feel a little helpless given the circumstances, but what surprised him was the nightsman’s reaction. He would have assumed the little introvert would lock himself in a room somewhere and refuse to come out until he’d solved the problem all by himself, but instead he was actually leaning on Palmer – he could feel it as clear as a good hard shove. He’d even gone as far as to give a call when he wanted company. Thaddeus almost never wanted company, or so Palmer had always thought. Palmer wouldn’t want to be alone in Thaddeus’s position, but the nightsman wasn’t normally like that.

Still, Palmer reflected, Thaddeus had immediately headed for the kitchen for coffee (and since when did he know how to make coffee?), so perhaps his antisocial tendencies were still in play. Maybe he just needed someone around rather than someone to talk to, then.

He supposed the best he could do was not drop the ball.

‘The Ball’ soon came out of the kitchen and, after hovering by the dining room, joined him at the window. Palmer was prepared for mile long stares and broody silence and was a little surprised when his friend spoke, though the question was so typical Thaddeus, down to the phrasing.

Palmer chuckled a little and studied his feet, remembering his own first meeting with Thaddeus – the nightsman had come off as a stuck up, high strung little Brit who would sooner kick a beggar than give him money. Well, that wasn’t exactly what he’d thought – it was more along the lines of ‘this guy’s a real asshole’ – but close enough.

“Ah…I would say…” he grinned as he turned to look at Thaddeus. “…that you are an acquired taste.” He brightened. “Like coffee.”

Palmer was a firm believer in keeping a sense of humor in adversity, though it occurred to him after the fact that perhaps Thaddeus might have a different outlook.
Thaddeus Grey 17 years ago
“Oh, wonderful. I’m coffee. Well, I suppose there are worse things.”

Ouch. Well, Thaddeus supposed it was good to know these things about one’s self. Just as he was musing over Palmer’s reply, though, Alfarinn sent to him, explaining that he was going into a potentially dangerous situation. Thaddeus raised his eyebrow; should he put up a protest at this or just be supportive? He still wasn’t certain of their dynamic in that respect. In the end, he decided Alfarinn was several hundred years older than him and could most likely make his own decisions.

[I’m right here with Palmer – please let me know if you need us.]

He had contact information for Danielle, Alfarinn’s assistant, and Christian, the Evenhet Chief of Security, as well. Thaddeus smiled slightly to himself at the thought of having an entire Calvary on call should it be needed.

Turning his attention back to Palmer, he explained, in his matter of fact way, the reason for his silence.

“My…Alfarinn…is apparently following some Tacharan into a construction site.”

Well, that certainly made matters sound –much- worse than they had when this was all a conversation in his mind. He didn’t care for this at all, come to think of it, but what could he say? Alfarinn, your boyfriend who doesn’t remember –meeting- you says ‘turn around and go the other way!’.

Somehow he didn’t think that would go over well.

Sighing, he turned around, picking up his coffee and sitting on the window sill. He took a sip before leaning back, his head against the glass, and closing his eyes.
Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer chuckled. “No, -I’m- coffee. You’re vanilla.”

Alright, that terrible joke was missed altogether and he hadn’t earned so much as a chuckle with the first one. Maybe it was time to stop kidding around; his humor was clearly unappreciated. In fact, maybe better to just shut up altogether.

He quietly drank his coffee, studying the street and taking stock. Thaddeus wasn’t inclined to mention it, but things with Alfarinn –had- to be strange right now. Even so, they didn’t appear as strange as Palmer would have expected, which was encouraging. If there was one thing Thaddeus was good at, on the other –other- hand, it was hiding things. It just figured that as soon as his friend looked like he was starting to lighten up a little, this had to go and happen.

Thaddeus cut into his thoughts with the startling announcement that Alfarinn was about to do something stu…dangerous, stated as calm as could be. See, this was what he was talking about; didn’t this –bother- Thaddeus?

“You think he should be doing that?”

In answer Thaddeus did a lovely little display of angst. So this –was- getting to him. That was assuring.

Deciding to give another go at cheering his friend up, he gave him a little nudge with his coffee cup.

“Hey, don’t act like you have it so bad. Alfarinn will be fine and the whole world will go back to revolving around you again soon enough.” Going into ‘count your blessings’ mode, he continued. “Your man’s staying by you, which is…huge, that’s incredible…and –I’m- here, and Claire, and your damn mutt, and we’re all pulling for you. You’ll get your memories back. It’s a mortal lock. Relax.”
Thaddeus rubbed at his eyes for a moment before opening them, feeling suddenly tired and rather wishing he hadn’t invited Palmer over if he was just going to make light of everything. He knew he was just being petulant and wouldn’t know what to do with himself if left alone in this apartment that had a story for everything he touched, memories existing everywhere but his own mind, but did Palmer really –have- to needle him this way? It was tempting to tell his friend that he could fend for himself just fine, thank you, and everyone really should just get on with their own lives, but he just couldn’t bring himself to do it.

Instead he brought his knee up to his chin and turned to Palmer, entirely serious.

“What if I don’t?”

It could happen – this loss could be permanent, and –then- what was he supposed to do?
Palmer 17 years ago
Ever the optimist, Grey was. What, did Thaddeus think he had all the answers? Not bloody likely. Palmer had to admit, though, that it was a fair question.

Of course, he didn’t have to admit that out loud.

“What if the sky turns yellow? What if my pants fall down in the middle of the club? What if. Not likely, but hey, we’ll work it out. Why not?”

He still thought it best to stay positive and have a sense of humor about the whole thing rather than sitting there looking like an emo boy without his Bright Eyes CD. Maybe Thaddeus didn’t exactly agree but his friend knew him and asked for his company, so maybe he expected him to just be himself, bad jokes and all.
Thaddeus took a long sip of his coffee to hide his annoyance with Palmer’s confidence, thinking that it was easy for –him- to say everything would be okay. He shifted his weight and set down the now empty cup before leaning back against the window pane again and looking up at nothing.

“I think it’s a lot more likely than you’re willing to admit. Than anybody’s willing to admit.”

Skodde padded out into the room at that moment and Thaddeus used him as an excuse not to look at Palmer. Instead, he reached out to let the wolf sniff his hand, then carefully patted his head. He had no idea if the animal expected this sort of treatment but he supposed if he had committed to keeping a pet he would do normal pet owner things. Skodde did not seem to care either way; rather than acknowledge Thaddeus’s affection, he bent down and licked at the mostly empty coffee mug on the floor.

Damn. Now he was going to have to get rid of that one.
Palmer 17 years ago
Good –God-, the melodrama. Palmer didn’t think it was possible to make this situation any worse, as it was already pretty bad on its own, but trust Thaddeus to make it happen.

“Oh? Then what’s the answer? Just going to give up? Not going to bother trying? Jesus Christ, is –that- an ungrateful attitude. We’re all trying our asses off to get your mind all fixed up and here you are wallowing in ‘what if’.”

Realizing that as justified as his ranting might be, it probably wasn’t all that helpful in lowering the drama levels, he turned around and joined Thaddeus in sitting on the window sill, reaching out to pet Skodde with one bare foot.

It was, he found, difficult to follow his own ‘keep your mouth shut and be supportive’ policy. Thaddeus’s moody, thoughtful nature occasionally frustrated him and Palmer couldn’t help but feel that he probably wasn’t the best friend to lean on sometimes. Thaddeus was definitely his own man in that regard, though – he chose when to call on Palmer and when to keep quiet, and Palmer for his part tried to respect that decision even if he didn’t like it.
Thaddeus sighed, realizing that Palmer’s interpretation, while incorrect, was honestly obtained – he had come off sounding defeated and that wasn’t fair to anyone. “No, that’s not…no. I’m not saying…hell, I don’t know what I’m saying. But I think I had a pretty good life, in spite of all the…” he gave a wave of his hand which he supposed was meant to indicate everything from the attempted murder to Sorin. “…you know. And I lost it, I lost everything I’ve built in the past year, and I want it back. I think that matters more than the mixed memories. It wasn’t all horrifying revelations and fights for my life, or so I gather.”

He bit down on his lower lip, continuing his train of thought internally; he wasn’t inclined to discuss his perhaps foolish notions of sharing something with Alfarinn whether he got his memories back or not. After a moment, though, he spoke again, almost to himself, in a quiet, reflective sort of way.

“You know, it’s odd…I always thought my mind was the most important thing to me. My ‘prized possession’, if the mind counts as a belonging.” He tilted his head in that avian gesture of curious contemplation so common to him. “But now that I’ve lost it…a bit of it, anyway, I’m not completely mad…I suppose I’ve discovered something more important.”

He studied the ring on his thumb, for a long moment, thinking he had probably said too much. Waving his hand, he uncomfortably dismissed his own statements.

“Hell. Like I said, I don’t know what I’m saying. I suppose that didn’t make any sense at all…”
Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer tried to be patient and listen while Thaddeus fumbled and struggled to explain himself, wondering where his friend was going with this. When what his friend was trying to say clicked, though, he fell quiet for a very different reason. All this time he’d been railing against forces he had no way of manipulating himself, while Thaddeus was just ready to move on. Palmer worried that meant accepting what had happened to him but that didn’t seem to be what the nightsman was doing – he was just picking his own way to fight back. Living well was, he had heard, the best revenge.

He held up his hand when Thaddeus broke into rambling again, though he was quiet a moment longer before speaking.
“No…no. I think that might have been the smartest thing you’ve said tonight.” Another long pause. “So what are you going to do, then?” Hey, someone had to ask – all this thinking was well and good but if it didn’t lead to anything, then they were just a couple of guys talking over coffee.
Thaddeus blinked, surprised by Palmer’s understanding reaction. He was privately convinced he was being a complete sentimental idiot and it was refreshing to hear differently. The huntsman’s next question, though, brought him right back to feeling less than bright.

“Do? I’m not…I have no idea, why do you think I’m sitting here instead of going out shopping with Alfarinn?”

How to you rebuild after something like this? There was no contingency plan, no written instructions from that other self he thought about so often. He was certain there was nothing because he’d looked anywhere remotely likely for anything, anything at all, that might help him through this. Journal entries. Letters. Hidden messages in his phone. Either he had hidden these things so well that even he couldn’t find them, or they didn’t exist in the first place.

Thinking of messages, though…it had been several minutes since he had been in touch with Alfarinn. Should he be worried? Well, he supposed it didn’t matter whether or not he –should- be worried; he –was- worried. The question, once again, was what should he do about it?

Hoping he wasn’t doing the exact wrong thing, he looked down at the floor and sent.

[Is everything alright?]

He knew there was a better way to manage this situation – if Alfarinn lowered his defenses he would know immediately if he was in danger – but he felt a certain reluctance to ask that of his partner. He didn’t want to overreact to what was most likely so mundane a situation that Alfarinn had simply forgotten to let him know everything was fine, and he could appreciate that it must have been difficult to put up that wall in the first place.
Palmer 17 years ago
Alright, so Thaddeus needed his help after all. Someone needed to get this guy on the right track, and Palmer Calhoun was just the one to do it. Now the only question was, how would he steer him in the right direction?

Palmer sighed in a long suffering sort of way, wondering how to approach this. Their friendship was, he thought, considerable, but he had never dreamed of giving the nightsman advice on anything remotely related to relationships and to do so now felt strange. He knew what he would do in Thaddeus's place but he also understood that his friend viewed the world very differently. Grasping for straws, he finally asked, with an airy wave of his hand:
"So ask yourself this, then - what would you be -doing-, right now, if none of this had happened?"Â?
Thaddeus blinked. “Um. Reading a book in my room?”

He got Palmer’s point, in truth, but he was attempting to make one of his own – circumstances had driven the past year and a half to a large extent and without them in the mix, he was at something of a loss as to how to make this life of his happen.

It took him a moment to truly appreciate what an insightful question his friend had asked, when applied to his current internal dilemma. If there wasn’t all this baggage he would have insisted the walls go down from the moment Alfarinn told him he was following the Tacharans, else wise he would be in a car right now driving to where his partner was. He sat up a bit straighter, and, with renewed resolve, sent again.

[I think you should lower your defenses, so I’ll know right away if you’re in trouble.]

That was probably a little more clipped than it needed to be, but he didn’t see any need to make this about anything other than practical concerns. They could sort out the complications later, but God, it felt right to be doing something.

He supposed at some point he would be forced to admit that Palmer had been right.

It didn’t need to be right this minute though.
Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer threw up his hands, sloshing the dregs of his coffee and coming dangerously close to spilling on Skodde. “You’re being stupid on purpose now. I take back that ‘smartest thing you’ve said’ comment.” Annoyed, he ran a hand over his head, wondering why the nightsman had to be so damned stubborn all the time. As soon as he asked that question, though, he had his answer – Thaddeus was just set in his ways, and sometimes you had to meet him on his level. He was taking the wrong approach, was all, and needed to try a different tact. Something that made him think things through rather than inspiring him to take action. Calming down, he took a seat on the sofa and patiently explained where he was coming from.

“Alright. You’ve got this guy, and this apartment, and the stupid dog, and a bunch of friends and some boring hobbies that you apparently enjoy. Your work life is a little hit or miss lately but hey, let’s not get greedy. And you think this package deal is a keeper.” He leaned in and spoke very slowly. “So what are you going to –do- to get that back? What’s your plan?”
Thaddeus knew the moment Alfarinn let down the wall that separated their minds; it was as though he had lost something only to look down and discover it had been in his hand all the time. He gave a mental shake of his head at that thought, thinking it was more like getting his own hand, some part of himself, back.

Well, the right metaphor (simile, his mind corrected almost absently) didn’t matter; Alfarinn had claimed to be fine and what he could sense through the bond supported that, but he remained on the alert for the slightest change. At least that was the way he justified paying such close attention to their connection, though in part he had to admit that the experience of feeling what Alfarinn felt, especially after that connection had been cut off, was…well stunning wasn’t quite the word. Thaddeus realized he wouldn’t have the slightest notion of how to describe sharing in Alfarinn’s happiness at being asked, his confidence mixed in with fierce impatience. He had been many things throughout his life, but ‘poet’ was never one of them.

Shaking his head, he realized he had fallen silent, though he held Palmer’s gaze. Of course he had been listening – it was just that there was more to listen –to-. He spoke carefully, somewhat hesitantly.

“I think I see your point. But…God, I don’t know how on earth I landed Alfarinn in the first place. I’m fairly certain it wasn’t by way of sweets and love poems,” he added with a wry smile, harkening back to his private thoughts on his lack of poetry. “Although I did give him a watch once.”
Palmer 17 years ago
Thaddeus was thinking again, which could be good or bad; Palmer wasn’t sure of what the lengthy pause might mean. When he finally spoke again, it was really only to say that he got what Palmer was saying, with little in the way of further insight.

Well, he supposed he’d taken Thaddeus as far as he could – the rest was up to the nightsman to handle on his own. That was the way his friend wanted things, and that was fine with him. He gave his friend an open handed shrug.

“I’m pretty sure my methods of seduction wouldn’t work for you…” he left off the ‘not everyone can be as smooth as me,’ though that was of course heavily implied. “But in all seriousness, neither do I. You did it once, though, and this time I think you’ve got a shorter distance to go.” He snorted at the mention of a watch, wondering what that had to do with anything. “A watch? Well…okay, whatever floats your boat…”
Thaddeus looked affronted at the suggestion that his gift was anything less than brilliant. “It was a very nice watch. And my –point- is…” he trailed off, trying to remember his point. “…that I did something right.” he concluded happily. “So there’s hope yet.”

He could have done without hearing about Palmer’s ‘seduction techniques’ (which in his opinion involved little more than disgusting amounts of flattery) and concluded that his friend was being entirely unhelpful on purpose.

Either that or he was preoccupied and worried. His exchange with Alfarinn had done a little to ease his worries…but only a little. Now it felt as though he were simply waiting for disaster to strike so he could do something.
Palmer 17 years ago
Jesus, how much proof did this guy need that he'd been a good boyfriend? Palmer had to smile, though, at how proud Thaddeus seemed about doing 'something right'.

"Hope? Of course there's hope. There's all kinds of hope. Here a hope, there a hope, everywhere a...okay okay, I'm stopping, honest. Isn't that what I've been saying all along?"Â? He paused to give Thaddeus a chance to answer, then spoke again.

"Are you even listening to me?"Â?
Palmer’s thinly veiled attempts to cheer him up did nothing of the sort. Alfarinn hadn’t sent him anything one way or the other in the past…oh, fifteen seconds…and waiting for word proved to be more agonizing than anticipated.

In response to Palmer’s query (to which he had only half listened) he stood and headed toward the door.

“Let’s go to the mall.”
Palmer 17 years ago
Well. Maybe there was more of that ‘take charge’ attitude in Thaddeus after all. Shrugging to suppress a little grin, Palmer likewise pushed off the window sill and followed Thaddeus out the door.

/ooc both out