Royal Preparations ((open))

Amberelle had commandeered the kitchen for the evening. The counters were covered in a neatly arranged assortment of foodstuffs, cooking supplies, pans and various small appliances. Looking at the scene she idly wondered if Rupert would have a coronary to see a part of the house in such disaray. 'Just wait until I'm done,' she giggled to herself.

Popping a mix CD into her small stereo she turned it on and the soft sounds of jazz filled the room. Humming along softly, she smiled. It was kind of bittersweet, welcome and yet made her homesick. But she'd been fighting that feeling for several days now. It had finally prompted Amby to do her little project for the evening.

Twisting her blonde mop up onto the top of her head and securing it loosely with a clip she turned to the room and rubbed her hands together. She'd dressed in some old, well worn jean cut offs and a white tank top. Neither of which she would mind getting dirty. Her bare feet made almost no sound on the floor as she moved around the room pulling the cold items from the fridge and placing them out. Settling herself at the large stone island, the Creole began measuring out all of her dry ingredients into small bowls and lining them up for when they were needed.

Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Dawn'd never changed the habit of having juice after a workout. It wasn't that she needed it, but that it had just become part of the ritual. Plus, juice tasted good. No reason to cut it out of the equation. Usually, her presence send the kitchen staff scurrying off to find Rupert or the head cook to come deal with her, but tonight she was in for a surprise.

"Whutcha cookin' up, blondie?"

Grabbing a dry towel from the oven, Dawn wiped herself down and tossed it in the corner. The kitchen towels always smelled like fresh bread or rosemary or something good. Just another reason to visit. Now the smell would linger with her, which was better than workout funk. Her sweat didn't stink like some people, but it wasn't fresh bread, either.

Popping open the fridge, she found a big container of cranberry juice. Yum! Pulling it out, she took a good drink right from the container. Closing the door, she hopped up onto the counter and had a seat.
Amberelle DeEspionne 17 years ago
Carefully tapping the measuring cup to level off the flour within, Amby glanced sideways at Dawn and just shook her head faintly as a towel sailed off behind her. Oh well it wasn't like the place was going to be spic and span when she was done. Smiling, she waited until her clan-sister was settled before answering.

I, mes ami, am making a traditional Mardi Gras treat. King Cake. One for the house here and a couple to take to friends. Pausing her speech while she sifted the flour into a bowl, 'don't want to blow it all over the counter after all', Amby turned to Dawn when she was done. Wanna help?
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Sliding off the counter, Dawn laughed.

"That's th'crazyass'd cake wi'all the toys'n money innit or somethin, wha? We do those'n Cali too, but we usually put inna nail file'r piano wire'r somethin' and sent'm t'folks in th'clink."

Taking another swig of cranberry juice, she sealed it and put it back in the fridge.

"Prolly notta good idea'ta lemme help. Might git'm all switched up. 'Sides, I can't cook fer shit. What'reya gonna hide innit?"
Nodding when her friend correctly identified the cake, she burst out laughing at Dawn's idea of treats to hide. She stopped and leaned a hip against the counter, chuckling and grinning at the shorter woman. Crossing her arms she tilted her head and studied Dawn a moment.

I think cooking would be very good for you. It teaches patience, preparation, how to be methodical and logical. Oui, the blonde nodded firmly, you will help me! Turning to the counter she grabbed up a few sheets of paper tucked safely into plastic protectors. Holding them out to Dawn, she waited for her to take them.

Here's the recipies, read over them.
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Wrinkling her nose, she took the recipes.

"Maaaaaan, cometa git some juice an' they putcha t'work! AND give ya homework! Dayum! Ok, ok. Lessee all this."

Glancing down at the list in front of her, she scowled, scratching her head. Looking up at Amberelle, she stopped and looked down to reread it. Confirming, she asked,

"Ok, what the fuck is a tubblespuh and a tisp?"
Laughing so hard she doubled over and pressed her forehead to the cool stone, Amby gasped for air. Getting herself under control, she grabbed up some of the measuring devices and came over to where Dawn sat. Hopping up on the counter beside her, the blonde held up the first spoon, the smallest. Using her fingernail she pointed out the engraved text showing the size.

This one is a teaspoon. And this one, she switched out for the next largest, is a tablespoon. Pointing at the recipe then the spoons, she indicated which was for which. I think you can guess what a cup is? Holding up a pyrex measuring glass, she waited for confirmation. At Dawn's "duh" look she nodded, smiling.

Do you know what I'm doing here.. Her hand swept across the room. Laying out everything before hand, so it's neatly arranged and ready to go. Kind of like setting out all of your weapons before training, ya know? Looking at her clanmate through her lashes she paused and asked. Or would you just dive in and franticly do it as needed?
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
"Yeah, yeah. Laugh it up, bag lunch. Fuckin' abbreviations."

Rolling her eyes, Dawn listened to the explanations, and though she thought the cup was pretty stupid small for drinking out of, accepted that maybe Amby knew what she was talking about since it said 1 cup on the side.

"Ummm...I'd dive right in. You dunno what'll be'a hand when yer jumped, so why rely'n preprogrammed response? I mean, if I was t'git attacked right here in th'kitchen, I might not be able't git t'the knives there, so you gotta..."

Reaching into the nearest bag, she grabbed a handful of flour and tossed it in an arc in front and onto Amberelle. Planting her other hand on the kitchen island, she vaulted over it to the knife block.

"...IMPROVISE!"

((ooc: Amby floured with permission, yo))
Squealing, coughing and laughing, Amberelle leapt up after Dawn. Measuring cup and spoons were tossed onto the counter behind her, forgotten. Following her example, Amby half leapt half vaulted over the island and lunged for the knife block as well. Her hand hovered over it and she looked at Dawn through laughing but narrowed eyes.

You.. will.. PAY.. for that.. WENCH! As she'd spoken and split Dawn's attention between her face and the hand over the knives, she'd grabbed one of the bowls of flour off the island and with a fast sweeping motion managed to cover her from head to knee in finely sifted powder.

Laughing in triumph, the Creole backed away quickly. And sometimes preparations are important! You have to know your recon after all. Why would you go in blind with no plan when you can be efficient and knowledgeable about your enemies before hand?
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Laughing, Dawn popped open a cupboard door and managed to get only a quarter of her head behind it before Amby's flour assault. Shaking her hair out, she said

"Ok, ok, but non'a this's gittin baby Jesus and his nail file into that cake! We've gotsta spring Peter from the Big House - he needs his baked goods. S'what's next?"
Brushing the flour off of her shirt and trying in vain to get it all off of and out of her clevage, Amberelle unclipped her hair and flipped it down, shaking more flour onto Dawn before resecuring it. Wrinkling her still flour dusted nose at the Californian, she glared a moment before grinning.

OK, so we need to get to mixing the yeast and wet goods.. Pausing she glanced at the mess they'd already started. That's delicate so I will do it. Why don't you... looking around for something Dawn-safe she nodded. Grab that saucepan there, she shrugged a shoulder to indicate one, and start putting that butter there, a finger pointed to one of the sets of ingredients set by the stove, on a low flame and we can get the sugar melted in.
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Unlike Amby, Dawn was one with the fact that she was probably going to get dirty again in the near future, and elected not to fight it. Looking at the indicated pan, she nodded.

"Ok! But that yeast's different from...uh, nevermind. Prolly don't wanna know either way."

Grabbing the pan, she put it on the counter next to the oven, then retrieved the butter and sugar. Turning the burner on all the way, she waited a moment, then turned it to half. That was pretty low - it wasn't even over the top of that metal guard thing. Covering it with the cold pan, she dropped the butter in and waited. It was melting...kind of. Pretty slow. Turning the burner up a bit more, it melted a bit faster. If all they needed was melted butter, why melt it slow? That was boring.

"Ok, s'all melty'n bubbly. When do I put th'sugar'n? 's'it supposta steam like that'n make tha'noise?"
One of Amby's favorite scat songs came on, and she mouthed along, swaying in place to the beat as she mixed up the yeast and sugar to begin to ferment. The flour on her face had made her tone down her senses so it wasn't until Dawn asked that she realized that was indeed butter burning that she smelled. Turning to the stove the blonde winced and scooted over, pushing Dawn out of the way. Getting the pan off the fire she saw it wasn't too far gone at least. Glaring at the high flame and then Dawn, she motioned to it and gave her a what the hell look.

I thought I said low fire.. You have problems with directions or being patient? One I can work with you on.. the other just gets you smacked. Arching a sculpted brow she waited for an answer.
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Looking scandalized, Dawn rolled her eyes.

"What?! That flame is BARELY above th'lil metal guard dealie! That's pretty low! 'Sides, just gotta turnit t'liquid anyways, right? Things melt faster wi'more heat. At first it wasn't even meltin' really!"

Realizing that there was another set of questions involved, Dawn replied while throwing her hands up and flopping them back down.

"An'I've problems wi'patience AND directions!"
Unable to resist the urge any longer after her friend's flippant response, Amby's jaw slacked some and she reached out and lightly smacked the back of Dawn's head.

Merde come on! Haven't you ever cooked anything before? As soon as her hand connected the blonde realized it was probably not the best tactic to take with the highstrung vampire. Sure enough, Dawn reacted as anticipated and lashed out with a strike towards the Creole. Years of training let her simply catch her friend's hand and she held it firmly. Her amber eyes were filled with regret and she dipped her head slightly down.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have hit you like that. Sighing softly, Amberelle released her hand. I just have a hard time seeing how someone who's in their mid 20's at least could not know how to cook.

((OOC permission granted to smack and handle Dawn! ))
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
For a moment, Dawn's world went red, then white. She was back in the kitchen in her grandmother's apartment - her mother had just slapped her hard enough to knock her to the groud for saying that grammy's tamales were better than hers. The memory retreated...she was standing with her arm out toward a blonde speaking in soft tones, which confused her for a moment. Then she realized what had just happened and felt stupid. Tugging her reflexive hand back, she looked away.

"Usedta gettin'it. Not y'fault I'ma dumbass. Pops prepaid all'ah school lunches s'other kidsn't steal'r money. Mom did th'cookin an'smack's we git'll upins. After'at I didn'eed t'eat any, s'why bother? Useless n'anyways."

Moving toward the door, something stopped her at the last second. Not having any idea what it was, she followed the instinct.
Amberelle felt about as low as you could possibly be. Since when did she let her temper get the better of her? The way she'd acted was more fitting for her Sire than her, and it made her cringe. Not only that but it seemed she wasn't the only one with a rather troubled past. To have brought back something like that for someone who was supposed to be her friend.. Amberelle was horrified. Walking after Dawn quickly, Amby wrapped her arms around the shorter vampire and crushed her in a hug. Speaking softly she tried to make her friend feel better.

Dawn.. I am so very sorry. You'd think getting beaten as often as I did growing up I wouldn't raise a hand to someone... A sad sigh escaped her lips. Perhaps you really did perpetuate what you knew. That was a troubling thought. Please forgive me. Releasing her she stepped around to look Dawn in the face.
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Stiffening, Dawn was a bit surprised at the sudden difference in the contact. For a moment, she remained rigid, then relaxed into the hug. She could count on one hand the number of apologies that she'd been given since the change, all of them in Nachton. Hugs were just as rare. The thoughts began to make her eyes a bit moist, but crying over an apology would be stupid. Nodding to the quiet words, Dawn was careful not to make eye contact and instead headed to the sink and stuck her head in it, rinsing the stress away. In a completely unaccented voice, she said

"I guess we're all products of our environment to some extent. Accepted."

Pulling her head out of the sink, she grabbed another dish towel and dried off, dropping it to the floor. Running her hands through her hair she found it to be...gummy? Looking at her hand, she cursed.

"Awwwww fuck. Now I've got dough in my hair, don't I."

Unable to help it, she began to laugh.
It was just too cute, the look on Dawn's face when she saw the goop that was all over her head there on her hand. All she could do was nod, biting her lip and unable to keep a straight face. Amberelle started giggling then tried to gasp in a breath, snorted loudly and began to laugh even harder at herself. Tears leaked out of the corner of her eyes as she walked over to the sink and picked up the discarded towel.

Holding the cloth out to her friend she rubbed her hand across her cheek, wiping at the silvery streaks. When she was able to take a breath again, she cocked her head at Dawn and smiled. How about you let me whip up the dough to rise and we can go goof off? It'll need a couple hours so there's not much else to do while it does. I was going to go workout but whatever you wanna do is cool.

And you can help or just watch, up to you.
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Shaking her head, Dawn smiled.

"I'm thinkin' that cookin' int fer me, so do yo thang."

Popping open a couple of cupboards, Dawn searched until she found the peanut butter and stuck in a finger. Taking a big glob, she licked it from her finger and asked

"So...why'sit gotta rise, anyways?"
Setting the now cool pan back on the stove over a low fire to slowly simmer and remelt, Amby bustled around the room mixing up wet ingredients while she spoke. Well, basicly.. the yeast causes a kind of reaction that releases gas and that's what makes bread and pastries and stuff fluffy. Those air pockets that make it not a big heavy lump, ya know?

She glanced at Dawn to make sure she was following along. But since it's alive you have to be careful with it.. and it just takes time to do its thing. Shrugging, she set a large bowl by the mixer. Moving back to the stove she whisked in the sugar until it was a nice syrup with the butter. Nodding she moved it off the stove and to the island.

Grabbing the bubbling yeast and her other prepared ingredients she started to mix up the dough gently. Her lips twitched and she looked at Dawn out of the corner of her eye.

Think you could shake some of that dough in here? It looks like it needs more.. She giggled.