Catching Up (Invite Only)

Lily surveyed her pretty suite, ignoring the glares of the two behind her. They had argued with her from the great room all the way to the doorway. The poor child at the front desk had been confused and uncertain when Xeph had asked for a key to a suite near his, and Lily had immediately countermanded him.

Which did she obey? The Alpha, or the Alpha's mom?

In the end, the Alpha's mom won out. Her suite was as charming as the girl had hesitantly told her it would be, and quiet insistence was more effective than the fire in her son's mismatched eyes at that point.

So here she stood. She would need furniture, but that would be easily fixed with a trip or two.

"It's no use glowering," she said in soft accents to the men behind her. "I will be safe here at the Den. Didn't you both say as much?"

They needed a reminder, sometimes.

Xeph 17 years ago
He wasn't sulking. Not really. But the urge to have his mother right there under his watchful eyes was strong, particularly in light of the news she'd just brought.

He had to admit, she would be happy here. The suite was lovely, a living room and dining room with large bay windows, a sizeable kitchen, and a single, large bedroom and bathroom, it was perfect for someone who intended to live alone.

"You can sleep at my place tonight," he said, not expecting her to refuse the offer, but surprised all the same when she smiled at him and shook her head.

He hadn't expected this stubbornness from her. With Liam she was all that was amiable and pliable. Slightly confused, he simply accepted her wishes. Did he not know his mother at all? Had Liam had that much of an effect on them both? Turning to Hammer, he searched the Beta's face for clues. Hammer knew her best, he realized with some minor irritation. Crossing his arms, he added, "At any rate we can go shopping first thing tomorrow."
Iov Hammerthynn 17 years ago
Hammer watched Xeph fight a losing battle with his mother and then finally resigned himself to crossing his arms and suggesting shopping.

'You're sulking.'

With a slightly annoyed grin creeping into the corner of his mouth, Hammer sighed.
'You will never win. Believe me on that.'

Lily had chosen a room away from Xeph but more importantly away from him, all the way on the opposite side of the Den's structure. Not only did it annoy him logistically but personally. Of course he wasn't sure what she would do with her life now and it wasn't his place to ask...or assume.

'I will bow out of the shopping, me thinks. I have things to attend to with my pup.' Referring to Marthinus, Hammer had plans with the old man. Plans that involved taking a trip around the city.
Xeph 17 years ago
Xeph's mood didn't improve with Hammer's smug attitude. He returned the grin, however, and gave a helpless shrug. "I'm just happy she's all right. I suppose she could get anything out of me at this point."

He was restless though... the news, his mother's arrival, and the things he should or shouldn't be feeling. It was all foreign.

"I'll leave her to you then, since you know how to handle her," he said, trying not to grumble. He hugged Lily close once more. "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

It was an abrupt departure, but how many pleasantries could they really exchange right now? And how many could they really, ever?

((ooc: Xeph out))
Lily 17 years ago
Lily had wanted Aidan to stay, but she could understand. It wasn't exactly in his nature to rail at fate, or mourn out loud, or anything like that. She had spent her entire life being observant, and in this case her senses told her to simply let her son be. He wasn't her little boy any longer. He would do what he needed to do, and when the time was right perhaps they would talk about it.

She leaned on the door frame instead, watched her son stride down the hallway and disappear into the stairwell and then spoke to the one remaining wolf.

"You know how to handle me?" Her tone had a teasing quality. Lily was careful to avoid Iov's gaze; she kept her eyes riveted on the empty room in front of her, made all the more lonesome by the few bags set just inside the doorway.

"I'd say it's the other way around, but then, I'm a woman and we've grown to be used to handling men."

Finally she turned to him, searching his scarred, craggy face for clues on his mood. The tiniest twitch of a muscle, the flicker of an eyelid, were all telling, in Lily's observant green eyes. She watched him for a moment.

"It's been a very long time, Iov." Lily smiled softly. "I would thank you for coming with Aidan, but I think you're with him now because you follow him... no longer simply as a favor."

And that would please her, if it were indeed the case.
Hammerthynn felt himself flush at her playful banter. As she kept teasing him, he rolled his shoulders again and gave her a quick glance and grunted.

'Honestly, Lily.' He spoke just above a whisper, worried somehow that someone would notice him with her. His curiosity and confusion was beginning to come across as coarse but if Lily knew him, and she did, he'd know it was because she was the only person to make him nervous.

Again without looking at her,
'It was a little bit of both, but definitely the former. You have every right to be proud of your son, he carries his responsibilities as an Alpha should.' Then he turned to look at her, meeting her green eyes with his pale grey one and added in a softer tone, 'And yes Lily, it has been a long time, indeed.'

She had purposely stepped into his personal space and part of him warmed at her closeness but was immediately followed by an all out panic. He cursed himself quietly for not knowing where he stood with her or what he should say to her. It was all a complete mystery to him and for the past several decades, he had learned not to be around her. He'd have to learn all over again.

Again he looked away from her and took four long steps into the room. Tucking one suitcase under his arm and carrying the rest in his hands, he turned and looked at her or rather in her general vicinity.

'Bedroom?' He immediately felt another flush creep up into his face.
Lily 17 years ago
Lily merely raised her eyebrows. "I suppose," she said, picking up the last little bag, a carryall, and throwing it easily over her shoulder. She resisted the urge to make Iov even more uncomfortable than he already was. In truth, such playfulness was out of character for her. She didn't want him uncomfortable. There had been a time, though, when they could tell each other anything, talk about all manner of things.

Was it Liam's madness that had brought them so close together then? And was it Liam's death now that prevented them from regaining that companionship? She watched his broad back and wide shoulders as he walked down the short hallway to her new bedroom. She had missed Iov, but he was the only person she could have asked to travel with Aidan, without evoking her son's anger or pricking his pride. Babysitter, Iov was not. There was no better advisor, no better Beta to have along with him as he began his reign as Kadzait Alpha, and Aidan had known it.

What would happen now?

Her earlier bravado gone, Lily fidgeted with the shoulder strap of her bag, clinging to it as if she wouldn't know what to do with her hands if they were empty.

"What next?"

The words echoed slightly in the empty room.
Hammer set her bags down and merely stood as he always had with her in the beginning, stoic and across the room. His inability to tell her how he felt was making his silence very audible. He balled up his hands slightly, the calloused skin scraping loudly in the empty room. Maybe if he just kept to business, he'd let her decide on what would come next.

'How did it happen? What killed Liam?'
Lily 17 years ago
Lily, for lack of having any furniture, simply folded her legs and sank gracefully to her knees. Her skirt fluttered and settled about her and she smoothed a wrinkle, finally looking up and meeting Iov's eyes.

"He was killed, Iov," she said simply, her expression bleak. "I don't know the details, but someone knows enough about us to understand what will kill us."

She pulled her coat onto her lap and hugged it to her, shivering a little. Lily had seen violence; it wasn't that which had her so disturbed. She shook her head.

"Someone in our Pack did this," she burst out at last. "A Kadzait. No one else. One of our very own family. I think, maybe, I should have expected it. I did expect it, on some level, but I never really believed it. I never thought if it happened it would come from within."

Neither of them was stupid; both Lily and Iov knew Liam had made enemies, both within and without. The reality though was far, far harsher than she could have expected, and while there was a small part of her that was secretly overjoyed to be free at last, it was overshadowed by the horror and disgust the such a betrayal left in its wake.
Hammer silently cursed himself. He had not wanted to make the situation more awkward, but he certainly did not want to upset her. Her husband was dead and thinking of his comfort zone was selfish. His hackles rose at the mention of one of their own plotting Liam's death but he pushed it aside and went to her.

Hammer walked over to Lily and knelt down on one knee, gently taking her hands and helping her up. He pulled her close and did his best to try and console her. Wrapping his long arms around her soft small body, he rested his chin on the top of her crown of auburn curls and let her try and regain her composure.

Quietly he whispered,
'I'm sorry. Now is not that time for my questions.' As he stood there in her empty room he closed his eyes and relished her warmth. If someone had walked in and seen them, a coronary would surely soon follow. Hammer could count on one hand the times he held anyone the way he held Lily. Women had been nothing but temporary distractions and his path had always been straight and true - for the pack.

With a smile he murmured into her hair, '
I don't know why I brought your bags back here, there's nothing to unpack them into.' He reached up and touched her chin, lifting it gently. Hammer looked at her with his soft grey eye and gnarled left one and gave her a smile that he only reserved for her.

'You will sleep with my quarters and I can sleep in my office, alright?'
Lily 17 years ago
Lily went along with Iov, anticipating it and moving readily into his arms when he reached for her. She rested ehr head against his broad chest, relishing the moment of peace, remembering days long past, allowing him to comfort her. She pressed her hands up against his chest as well, on either side of her face, feeling his heart beat.

The moment could have lasted forever; it was more than enough just to have Iov back. She and Iov and Liam had been a trio for so long, asking Iov to leave to help Aidain had been like losing a piece of her.

His suggestion that she share his rooms was surprising, but not entirely so. She gave it long thought. She'd argued with Aidain the entire way to the front desk and then beyond to get this suite. Her own suite, away from theirs, without furnishings. Something she could have that was her own. Stubborn independence told her she had planned to sleep on the floor and the floor would suit just fine until she found furniture tomorrow, but one night of company, even if Iov was in a different room - that wouldn't be so bad, would it?

Looking up into his face, the scar and the missing eye meaning as little to her as ever, Lily just saw Iov, the side of him that seemed to be saved just for her. She nodded. "I'll come with you."
Hammer held the door to his quarters open for Lily. Still holding her luggage, he waited for her to enter and nudged the door closed with his boot. He'd let her get situated as he put her things away in his bedroom, plus it would give him time to figure out what, exactly, he was going to tell Xeph when he found out his mother slept in his bed.

Grunting he set her luggage down and considered changing the already clean sheets on his bed. Truth be told, he didn't sleep in it often. He found his chair in his office or the couch in his living room just as comfortable. His bed was almost too soft, but he wagered it would be fine for her. He did not bother with much colors outside the normal grey palette. His bed had several pillows and sheets the color of taupe. Very neutral but he liked it. The head and foot board were columned oak and it matched the rest of his subdued bed room furniture.

Rubbing his left eye, the scar's softness calmed his nerves. He stepped back out to the living room but did not close the distance between himself and Lily. Hammer wasn't sure if it was for her benefit or his own.

'I can turn the bed down whenever you please. Is there anything I can get for you?' Being the hospitable host was not usually his place, but he did the best he could under the circumstances.
Lily 17 years ago
Lily was unsurprised at the spartan accommodations of her husband's, now her son's, Beta. It was everything she remembered about Iov and although she had never had occasion to be in his quarters when they still lived in Australia, they had spent more than enough time together for her to guess at what Iov would surround himself with. He didn't require trappings and personal belongings to remind him of friends or family or special occasions. He kept those memories inside.

She peeked into the bedroom, found it just as minimal as outside. In spite of the bed looking plenty comfortable and inviting, she wasn't quite ready to sleep. She turned back to Iov, made her way to the couch, and settled herself upon it.

"I don't suppose you have anything hot to drink? A cup of tea, maybe? Or do we need to go back downstairs for that?"

Even as she spoke her eyes wandered over the huge shelves of books. Iov always had books, wherever he went. It was one of the things Lily found intriguing about him. Personal items, he didn't seem to require... but the man was a complete bibliophile. And quite the collector, she observed, skimming over the titles on the bindings.
Hammer stood in the middle of his uninviting living room and watched Lily quietly check out his quarters. Her even being there was inappropriate enough but there must have be a reason why she declined her son's offer but not his. Hammer swallowed nervously at his reasoning.

He was uncomfortable and yet relaxed with her presence. As she sat down on his couch, he linked his hands together in front of him and considered the nature of his kitchen. Pointing with his thumb he gestured towards the kitchen before walking into it.

'I am sure they stock my kitchen appropriately, I just don't care to eat at home as much as I used to.' His voice trailed off as he pushed himself towards the kitchen to bring her a cup of tea. He walked down the short hallway and entered the sizable circular area. Taking a cup down, he opened up the canisters on the counter, searching for tea bags. Hammer recalled once seeing some there and was finally rewarded with a freshly sealed bag of several types of tea bags.

He knew Lily took tea, he just never knew what kind, so he stood there with his hands on his hips, one good eye daring one of the tea bags to present themselves.
Lily 17 years ago
"The Herder Dictionary of Symbols: Symbols from Art, Archaeology, Mythology, Literature, and Religion." Lily already had the book in her hands and was well on her way to considering becoming engrossed. The imp within was tempting her to tease Iov again but she didn't. She raised her voice slightly to carry into the kitchen. She wasn't sure if he remembered what kind of tea she drank, but it really didn't matter.

"Anything will do," she called, trying not to yell. "Black, or earl grey... with cream and sugar please, if you have any."

The books was so very typical of her friend. Behind the gruff exterior there was a well-learned scholar, and Lily was well aware that throughout his long life, Iov had taken and dismissed lovers, but had rarely, if ever, thrown away a book. The memory brought a smile to her face and she flipped the page, interested in the content as much as the owner.
Hammer reached blindly for a tea bag and pull the heated cup of water out of his microwave. Lily had finally spoken up, but he wasn't entirely sure what he was dunking in her cup. With a slight sigh he finished it with a bit of milk he found in his fridge and some sugar in a bowl.

Walking back out into the living room he set the tea down on the table next to the couch and automatically took his position across from her, hands folded in front. Although never the one to bring her meals or her tea, Hammer would always stay near her waiting for the inevitable that never came. Liam was beyond control towards the end and it had been some time that he had given his time with Lily some thought. After being excused by Liam, there was nothing but Lily on his mind, but with the birth of the heir pleasing not only them but the pack, Hammer let his thoughts fade away. It was duty to the Pack above all.
Lily 17 years ago
Lily wrapped her hands around the warm mug after adding milk and sugar, just a bit of each. With a small, satisfied smile, she sipped carefully at the hot drink. Sometimes life's little pleasures were the best ones.

Setting the mug down and the books aside for the moment, she looked at Iov. Then she patted the couch cushion next to her. "Come and sit," she invited. Formality, for now, seemed out of place. There had been a time when they were much closer, the two of them.

"Tell me Iov, what my son has been up to."

She continued to regard him with sparkling green eyes. "And tell me, my old friend, what you have been up to as well. If Aidan's letters are any indication, you haven't been idle yourself."
Hammer settled himself down on the couch. This of course meant a good portion of the couch and he was practically sitting right next to her, but in the end he was just happy to be on the couch. Sighing he put his arms up on the back and tried to relax. He was having a difficult time doing so though and said as much.

'It's been a long time, Lily.' Quietly he added, 'Too long.' He knew he should feel something about Liam's death, mourn him some how but he could not grasp the concept. Looking at Liam's widow only dredged up guilt along with the warmness she brought out in him. His fingers were just inches from her auburn tresses and they ached to touch them.

'The Alpha has been keeping himself busy with his practice and the new hospital here. You would be very proud of him, as I know you are. As for me?' Hammer shrugged slowly. 'This old dog keeps busy, what with the recent extraction out of South Africa, new members and finding old forgotten enemies. It's just business as usual.'

The world was certain nudge off its axis as Hammerthynn favored Lily with the cracked grimace of what could be construed as a smile.
Lily 17 years ago
Lily let a ghostly little smile cross her face. "Yes... the extraction, as you put it. It seems to me I heard something of that from a letter I received. It was all very, well - unbelievable." She turned questioning green eyes to Iov, momentarily struck by the expression on his face. She hadn't seen him smile in ages.

All of a sudden it seemed tremendously strange. Here she was, recently widowed, and instead of mourning Liam's death they were simply... talking. About mundane things.

Lily gave a little sigh. She couldn't really even say she felt all that bad about it. Perhaps guilty... but this was the epitaph Liam had written for himself.

She willed herself to stillness, torn between leaning back against her friend, and pulling away. Instead she stayed neutral, sipping her tea again while she waited for Iov to speak.
Hammer resisted the urge to touch her hair by curling his arm up and resting his head in his hands although he was still very much in her space, almost hovering over her now. He was trying to relax, to maybe go back to the time where they were as casual as...well as lovers.

The thought immediately sat up straight and cleared his throat, forcing down the blush. How ridiculous he was acting around a female, he admonished himself.

'Will you be staying in Nachton now or returning soon?'
Lily 17 years ago
Iov was being a scrooge with the details; it didn't matter. She would get the entire story from him eventually, regarding his interesting time in South Africa and his newly-Gifted Kadzait. She watched the color rise in his cheeks and wondered at it. After all these years, could they really revisit the past?

The temptation was strong, but she pulled away, set down her mug, and smoothed her skirt over her knees once more. "I would like to stay with my family now," she said, "in the long run. But in my immediate future, I'm going to bed."

Standing gracefully, she turned back to Iov and smiled. Leaning down, she brushed her fingers against his cheek, on his good side, and then followed with the gentle press of her lips against the rough skin. "Good night, Iov."

((ooc: Lily and Iov out))