Over the Airwaves

Thaddeus shook his head one last time at the small white mobile phone he held in his hand, finding the idea that he'd had this in his pocket all along rather amusing. Perhaps if he had two phones he could click them together and get his memories back.

Sighing at that futile line of thought, he pressed the button to dial up Palmer's number and held the small device to his ear.

Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer was happily chatting away with the maid, a lovely young woman named Trina, when he felt his mobile vibrate in his pocket. Excusing himself for a moment, he checked the number displayed on the front of the phone and explained that he had to take this in the other room. He wouldn’t have expected it to be anyone other than Thaddeus and he did hope the blonde was alright – he’d seemed very preoccupied when they spoke earlier, though of course that was to be expected, and they’d cut their conversation short.

“Grey, how are you? More good news?”

He imagined his friend could tolerate a little sarcasm, considering Thaddeus’s own propensity for such talk.
Thaddeus Grey 17 years ago
Thaddeus smiled at the familiar voice on the other end, though it had been years since he’d heard it. He wasn’t fond of the phone and they seemed to communicate so well via mail that he’d never really considered giving his friend a call.

“Palmer…I can’t tell you how good it is to hear your voice.”

He was honestly surprised at how relieved he was just to hear something he recognized. Smiling and feeling much better already, he added, teasingly: “But how do I know this is really you?”
Palmer 17 years ago
Oh shit…something was wrong. Thaddeus was –never- this demonstrative. Shit! What had happened? And why couldn’t he talk about it openly?

Ah, better play along for now he supposed; there might be someone else listening in.

“Why Grey, how nice of you to say so! I rather like hearing my voice as well, which might be why I talk as much as I do.”

Was his next comment code or was Thaddeus just trying to fake good cheer? Or was that real good cheer and he had misinterpreted his friend’s first remark? Damn nightsmen, dealing with them could be so complicated. Still, he couldn’t help but chuckle a little at the question, which was something of an inside joke.

“Saffron says hello.”

Trying to sound casual, he continued in an airy tone of voice. “So to what to I owe the pleasure? I’ve been in town for weeks and weeks, are you finally inviting me over for dinner?”
Alright, definitely Palmer. He was surprised to find himself laughing at his friend’s terrible jokes, though laughter broke off into a snort at the mention of the jazz singing wench who’d given them so much trouble in Charleston.

Interesting, Palmer had been here for a while now? How rude of him not to invite his friend over…and odd for that matter.

“Well, perhaps I can remedy that - could you come to the apartment tomorrow night? I can promise good company if not dinner…and there’s something I need to talk to you about.”

He imagined that was the best way to phrase the matter for the moment, so as not to alarm his friend.
Palmer 17 years ago
So typical. As usual, something was going on with the nightsman and he didn’t want to just come out with it. Well, if it could wait until tomorrow night he supposed it wasn’t too serious.

Unless he was being held captive and this was all a trap…was Thaddeus really laughing or fake laughing while casting nervous glances toward the explosives tied to his chest?

And who was the paranoid one here anyway?

“Certainly, I wouldn’t miss it. Your charming blonde is –such- a gracious host, after all…”

Hesitating for a moment, he added, in more serious tones: “I think I’ll wear the plaid fedora.”
Thaddeus blinked a little at Palmer’s response, wondering how badly he’d tipped his hand in this brief phone call. Plaid meant dire trouble – that had been Palmer’s addition to their ‘spectrum of danger’, which he’d insisted on calling it. Thaddeus had suspected at the time they had devised the code that Palmer had been making fun of him but he decided it would be better not to rub in the fact that his friend was now putting it to use.

“No, no, not the plaid…I think the light grey would be better. Tomorrow night then?”
Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer pulled the phone away and sighed, then held it back to his ear. Light grey, eh? Nothing since the night he’d arrived in Nachton had been light grey but if that was the way Thaddeus’s wanted it, that was the way it would be. He’d come tomorrow as planned instead of finding away to burst in unexpectantly tonight.

“If you’re sure…I’ll see you tomorrow.”

With that, he clicked off the phone and decided Thaddeus was just being too odd lately to puzzle out. Come talk with me. No, not here, outside. Okay now leave me alone. No wait talk to me again.

Nightsmen.

/ooc both out.