"Boo!"

The winter holidays had come and gone, and things finally seemed ready to settle down in the land of Shay.

She had learned a great many things from her mother, Ginnie, and her father, Alec, but the things that interested her now, were those she wouldn't learn about from a parent.

To say it had been frustrating, not seeing much of Dayle since before Christmas, would have been a huge understatement. In fact, seeing just enough of Dayle as she had, Shay managed to keep herself in quite a state over the past few weeks. Her one saving grace had been that both Ginnie and Alec had kept Shay exceedingly busy with training, and teaching, and general blood thirsty Tacharan things. More and more Shay was finding things about Tacharan that didn't please her, but each time something like that came up she promptly put the thought from her mind, and went on.

Tonight was going to be different though. Having secured information that Dayle had no plans for after work, Shay made some for her. That she didn't fill Dayle in on those plans, were part of the plans as well. Tonight was going to be a bit of a surprise for Ms. Blissot Daylof Yolgrave, hopefully, if Shay had any thing to say about it, and right now, to her knowledge, she was the only one who did.

The whole idea had come to Shay when she had learned there was an old drive-in movie theater on the outskirts of Nachton. The movies playing there were not the newest run, but there were five choices available, and sitting in a car, in the dark, just the two of them, seemed somehow more...inviting...than in an enclosed cinema house, with tens of other people.

That decided, Shay had spent the first couple hours after waking getting ready, and then picking up food for the little dinner she planned to have at the drive-in. She knew they served hot dogs, popcorn, and the like, but wanted something special for Dayle. Since she didn't cook, which she really would have liked doing tonight, she opted for the next best idea, and found a couple deli's that seemed eager to give her what she asked for.

After packing the food laden cooler into the backseat of the VW bug, Shay had returned to her apartment, showered, and dressed. Jeans, a sweater, and some loafers, along with a light dusting of a softly scented powder, some earrings, and just a bit of mascara were all that Shay wore as she found her way to Dayle's office.

Having only been to Dayle's office once before, Shay remembered the woman's desk faced the door, and thus the element of surprise was going to be difficult. Even if there wasn't that obstacle to deal with, putting something over on the very 'peceptive' Dayle was next to impossible. However, before she reached the office, Shay stopped off at the reception desk, and talked to the woman there. Under the truthful guise of wanting to surprise Dayle, Shay asked the older woman if she could call Dayle up to the front desk. They worked out a plausible excuse, that Dayle needed to sign for something, and the message was dispatched. Once Dayle reached the reception area, she would be told the 'courier' had to leave suddenly, and would return the next day. It was pretty lame, but on the spur of the moment the best Shay could come up with. In the mean time Shay would sneak into Dayle's office, and try to find someplace to hide.

When the receptionist made the call, Shay beat tracks down the hall just past Dayle's door, and waited around the corner, peeking to see when the coast was cleared.

Shay 17 years ago
The minute Dayle left her office, Shay was on her way in. She knew if she managed to pull off this little escapade she'd have accomplished quite the coup, but she didn't let the odds against her stop her. Dayle's perceptive talents were a good thing, most of the time, but they could also be somewhat of a pain in the ass too, when dealing with surprises anyway. Shay could only hope her own growing abilities would help balance out, and allow her the opportunity to give Dayle at least a small bit of excitement.

Then too, aside from her own ability to pick up sounds, and actions from far away, Shay was finding her new talent to be equally helpful. Moving the couch in Dayle's office away from the wall slightly, Shay was able to ease behind it, and hide from sight at least. When Dayle returned, Shay hoped her mind would be on other things and Dayle wouldn't notice anything different in the room.

Once situated, Shay became deathly still, and strained her senses to prepare for Dayle's return.
Dayle 17 years ago
Dayle found herself at odds. She didn't recall requesting a package to be sent to the Domicile; if she'd wanted anything delivered it would go to her home. Further, her sister would never, ever send anything to 'work'.

Just the same, she found herself stretching out of her seat in front of a boring week's worth of reports, then walked out to the elevator. The walk did her good; she wished she hadn't let herself become so immersed in the drowsitude of TPS reports ("Testimonial of Personnel Sanguination", which seemed to be mothing more than complaints of 'he bit me, she bit me, we bit we' whining) and had taken the initiative to actually get the blood flowing in her arse without needing a reason other than being bored out of her gourd.

Figuratively speaking, anyway. It was often weird to read the reports that amounted to nothing less than admissions of extramarital affairs or even in a handful of recent cases, to people coming out of the closet, strictly because of a vampire needing a meal. And she thought the weekly episodes of "Heroes" got confusing.

She wondered if Simon or Carol would mind if she submitted some sort of soap opera based in a vampire world... "Probly, you nit," she muttered to herself as she walked through the parting elevator doors.

The return trip wasn't quite as fun; the idiot delivery man had somehow ended up in the Domicile looking for a Dale Yost. Somehow, the vampire tried to convince herself, it was the receptionist's fault.

When she reentered her office, she was tempted to close the door and disable computer announcements unless an emergency when a soft scent caught her attention.
"Cleaning crew must have been through and realized I hadn't left," she told herself. "I need to stop telling myself things, and just think them," she told herself, continuing herself-admonishment with a snicker.

"Then again," she continued blithely, "perhaps I should shut up and listen to something other than myself for a while... Computer," she raised her voice a little, "Play me... Something with violin or cello that's not classical. I know! Play me the theme song to the television show Angel."

She turned and took a step toward her couch, and spinning around she flopped onto her back, against the furniture. The piece rocked a little with the force of her fall - "Odd," she noted silently; "perhaps the cleaning crew moved it," - but she closed her eyes. Raising her hands she pressed her fingers against her nose, rubbing gently, while the soft sounds of the cello crescendo began to build.
Shay 17 years ago
Trying not to draw blood as she bit her tongue, Shay was sure she would lose it any second,as she tried to keep from giggling. Hearing Dayle as she approached the office, Shay was lucky she had found a position she could remain in, and not lose the circulation to her legs. To prevent herself from being seen, she had to assume a slightly unusual pose behind the couch, but as long as she didn't have to stay there for more than several minutes, she didn't worry.

As Dayle spoke out loud, Shay again wished for a speedy conclusion to her joke, as laughter was threatening to bubble out of her at any moment. It might seem mean to eavesdrop on a person as she was doing now, but in the long run she doubted Dayle would mind. Or at least she hoped not. It wouldn't make for a very nice evening to start out with Dayle pissy with her.

The music playing was nice, and the tone helped keep Shay focused. Something a little louder, and more boisterous might have aided her better, but it didn't really seem to matter.

Since she couldn't see what Dayle was doing, she had to imagine it. And when the funny blond cutie flopped onto the couch, it was the feel of the couch coming close to 'squishing' Shay that startled her more than the actual movement.

Her initial plan was to jump out at Dayle...a real surprise. But now, with the music playing, and Dayle planted on the couch, Shay reconsidered, and came up with a better idea. As stealthily as possible, holding her breath and moving with the quiet grace of a cat, Shay slunk out from behind the couch, but still kept herself low, and hidden. Crawling around the corners of the couch, Shay tilted her head upwards from the floor, and could see Dayle lying on her back, with her eyes hidden behind her hands.

Not wasting any time, Shay effectively slid up the couch, and came to rest along side Dayle, slipping her arms around the other woman's waist.

"Angel huh? You in the mood for some hot, vampire lovin?"

Shay's face was pressed close to the side of Dayle's, with her nose almost rubbing against it. Her words were just slightly above a whisper, and came out sounding a little raw, and a little throaty.

And as far as Shay could think, the music was perfect for the occasion.
Dayle 17 years ago
The weight on the couch that joined her had that fresh powdery scent. She should have guessed it might have been a visitor and not the cleaning crew. "Kind of, sort of, but not really?" She lowered her hands from her face and folded them just below her chin. "Frustrated at some very bad delivery mixups lately. I keep getting a Dale Yost's packages. You'd think he'd get his damned address right. Needed to let it drain away. You know how it can be sometimes. Besides, I'm still working, for a bit longer anyway." She blew a quick kiss to Shay and, with a flick of her eyebrow and twist of her head, indicated she wanted up.

"Thank you for visiting me, though; your thought is appreciated." Grinning, she winked at Shay. "Besides, it's very difficult to surprise a perceptive, not to mention that being on the clock as I am, having you on the couch with me isn't such a good idea. After hours, doors closed, you know. Of course," she ruminated aloud, "that whole 'open door policy' I have would be difficult to maintain if it were closed for too long while I was inside." She shrugged sideways. "Depends on the reason for the visit, I'd imagine. Come on. Up with you, lassie."
Shay 17 years ago
It never occurred to her to try to hide the disappointment she felt. All thoughts of her plans were dashed, and the look of a petulant pout had replaced the happy, and seductive look she'd greeted Dayle with.

Sighing she rolled off the couch to land on her knees, before standing up and slightly bowing before the serious woman. Waving her arm from her waist towards Dayle's desk, she indicated her friend should return to work.

What Dayle said made sense, for Shay had interrupted her working hours, but from what Shay saw Dayle was a hard worker, and she doubted the woman normally did anything like this. All work, etc., etc. So where was the harm in a 'once in a while' thing? After all, Shay wasn't proposing having sex right then and there.

"Oh, sorry...there wasn't really any package. I just asked the receptionist to say that so you'd clear out of here long enough for me to come in and hide."

Shrugging slightly, Shay was torn. Should she sit down and wait for Dayle to finish, telling her about the little fun plan she had for the night ahead, or should she just chalk the whole thing up as a failed idea, and leave? Chewing the inside of her lower lip, she looked at Dayle in curiosity.

"And yet I did surprise you...admit it. There's no way you knew I was lying in wait for you. There's nothing bad there...it isn't like just anyone could have gotten away with any of this...come on...I just happened to have everything working for me, including access to the Domicile, and SOME knowledge of you and your talents. I think you can rest easy though, if that's what's bothering you."

It never occurred to Shay that by pulling off this little scam, she might make Dayle feel like she wasn't doing her job well. Was that it? Was that why the cute blond was less than thrilled to have been disturbed?

Folding her arms across her chest, Shay did finally sit down on the edge of the couch, in the corner farthest from where Dayle was.

"I was going to take you to dinner...and a movie...at the drive in...but...maybe it wasn't such a good idea."

Sighing Shay considered still going to the movies, but discarded the idea as quickly as it had come to her. If she was going to spend the evening alone, she might as well just take everything home, and rent a movie to watch.
Dayle 17 years ago
Dayle saw the wave of disappointment overwhelm the hopeful, seductive expression Shay had been displaying. Immediately she regretted her words; locked up in her office - even with the door wide open - doing her work and dealing with the frustration of some of the things she'd done or needed to do... Had simply overrode anything regarding a personable thought that evening.

"Well actually, there -was- a package... It must have arrived after you set off your trap." Dayle arched a brow. "I'm surprised I didn't tell you. I've been getting his boxes for a week."

Dayle tilted her head at Shay's silent admonition. She rose to a sitting position and leaned against the corner of the sofa, pulling her legs under her. "Yes, you did surprise me. A pleasant one, to be sure, and obviously unexpected. And you did do it quite well, I'm sure your infiltration professor would be quite pleased." Which of course she didn't have, but it sounded good.

She watched as the younger blonde vampire sat as far away from her as seemed possible, even while still sitting on the same piece of furniture. Arching a brow again at Shay's extremely brief outlining of her plan, she responded softly, in what she hoped was a kind voice, "Of course it was a good idea! It was a marvelous idea! Still is, in point of fact. I need to get out of this office. Computer! Save all open work and set a to-do timer for first thing next workday."

Standing from her seat on the couch, Dayle shrugged out of the dark, charcoal gray jacket to reveal the solid black v-neck blouse* beneath. "Is this shirt and jean-shorts or skirt sufficient for dinner, or would you like me to get dressed up a bit?"

(( *dayle's blouse is linked from the jacket. the url doesn't work because it has extra brackets that break the italics ))
Shay 17 years ago
Shay's look changed to one of dismay, and the tiniest bit of disinterest. How was it someone who's job it was to deliver packages, couldn't get it into their head that the person on the packages they were trying to deliver, was a DIFFERENT one than the Dayle before her. Incompetence was something Shay found she had very little tolerance for.

She didn't let it concern her too much though. It was Dayle's problem, and a minor one at that, so beyond being irritated that the matter annoyed Dayle, Shay's mind moved on to other things. Fortunate for her mood, and the progression of the evening, once Dayle joked about Shay's abilities at espionage, Shay laughed, and relaxed. She considered crawling over to where Dayle still sat, and snuggling against the woman, but before she could Dayle stood.

The one saving grace for Shay's mood, was when Dayle quickly put aside everything she'd been working on, and indicated she was ready to play. Or at least Shay interpreted Dayle's actions in such a way.

"You look 'mahvahlous dahling'." Shay giggled in her attempt to do an imitation of Billy Crystal, and stood up too. Bouncing over to where Dayle stood, Shay wrapped the woman in a hug, and then took hold of her hand, pulling her towards the door.

"In fact, as always, you put me and my lack of style to shame. But this time we're going for comfort, so as long as you'll be comfy in that, you're fine! Will you be? "
Dayle 17 years ago
The hug didn't take Dayle by surprise; rather it was the almost overbalancing lunge of Shay's body against her own that was the stranger part of the intimate contact. The older vampire wasn't quite sure Shay'd had a handle on her strength yet...

And then she found herself being tugged along towards the door.
"Wait, my purse... You're driving, though," she said as she gently disengaged her hand from Shay's, then turned back to her desk to retrieve her needed article.

Returning to Shay's side, she smiled gently at the younger blonde's self-deprecation.
"You do have style, dear; it's still budding and, like your other abilities and such, will grow over time. You do have a wonderful style of pajamas, that's for certain!" Smiling wider, Dayle simply shrugged at the second part of her question. "I'll be as comfortable in it as out of it."

Guiding Shay out of the office, she closed the door behind them and locked it, then turned to face her before stepping into the absent flow of traffic. "Have you eaten recently? If you need we can incorporate that into our night. Unless by dinner you meant eating, and not, you know. Dinner." Dayle's brow furrowed, but her smile belied her self-frustration; "That made sense, right?"
Shay 17 years ago
Hearing Dayle had left her purse behind gave Shay the opportunity she'd been waiting for, but before she could show Dayle her new ability, the purse was retrieved manually.

"I think you may be a bit prejudiced, but I'm not too sure yet." Shay smirked, when Dayle complimented her style. The remark about the pajamas caught Shay a bit off guard, and she felt her cheeks pinken. For all Dayle's experience, and knowledge, Shay almost considered her more naive in some ways. Of course that was just Shay's perception, garnered from the relatively small amount of time she'd actually spent with her friend.

In any event, she never expected Dayle to be very forward, so her mention of the pajamas, and subsequent smile, let Shay to remembering the shower, and what had occurred there. This wasn't terribly unusual either though, because nearly every time she looked at the pretty blond next to her, she had to admit her hormones began acting up. There was just something so...edible about Dayle. And with that thought she felt her cheeks go from pink to red.

Not wanting to stop now to explain, in case Dayle had noticed, Shay resumed tugging her along down the hallway towards the parking garage.

"No I haven't eaten recently, and I've already planned for that, along with any other things we might want to feast on." Having a one tracked mind at the moment, Shay laughed at that statement, wondering if Dayle would find it at all cryptic.

She stopped for a second, and gave Dayle a quick peck on the lips, before pulling her along again.

"It made perfect sense."

At times Shay did have trouble understanding Dayle's thought patterns, though more and more lately she was doing much better. This time, even with Shay's agenda and subsequent thoughts, she understood quickly.

Once they arrived at the car, Shay pushed the button on her key fob, and automatically opened the doors. Getting in the driver's side, she waved her arm at the stuff crammed into the back seat.

In addition to a large cooler, was a smaller one, as well as a wicker picnic basket, a stack of blankets, and two pillows.

"See...all the comforts of home, and lots of things to eat."

Shay maneuvered the bug out of the garage, and into the night, with relative ease, even as distracted as she was.

"You know, Ginnie got a new car...or rather an SUV...and after fussing with trying to get everything to fit in the back seat earlier, I was thinking maybe I'd trade this in for one. Of course that would mean more money down, and since I'm not really working yet, its not something I'll be doing tomorrow, but what do you think?"

Shay did like driving the little beetle car around town, mainly because with its size, and the way it operated, it suited her temperament. Zipping in and out of traffic, Shay drove much like she moved, and talked. But it might be worth giving that up, if she gained a larger, more powerful vehicle, with easy access, more room, and comfort.
Dayle 17 years ago
Out of the corner of Dayle's vision, the elder vampire saw the younger's cheeks pinken then flare up bright red. Wondering what Shay might be thinking about, she simply allowed herself to be pulled along to the garage, discarding the thought.

Surprised by the brief lip contact against her own, she was caught off guard as she got tugged along - feeling a bit like a British kite, actually - and climbed into the car seat when the door was unlocked for her. A brief flag raised in her mind, 'was that innuendo she just dropped?' but was overrided by the fact that she climbed into the car unassisted. Sending a mock-glare over at the other blonde, she scolded lightly,
"What, no courteous door holding? Harump!" She winked at Shay to helpfully let her know she was joking. Casting her gaze over the back seat she was suitably impressed by the lengths the younger woman seemed to go to prepare for their dinner.

Finding the conversation immediately jumping to the vehicle options, Dayle realized she really had no preference.
"I've been in town for some months now and really haven't found the need to have a vehicle of my own. The taxi services in the city really are spectacular; most are sympathetic to us and all have round-the-clock availability. For you, though, while I cannot imagine you in the driver seat of a hunk of rolling tank like Ginnie's new truck, it really is up to you."
Shay 17 years ago
It did wonders for Shay's mood, and confidence in the evening ahead, once Dayle lightened up and teased her about Shay's lack of chivalry.

"Oh my goodness, but I do apologize...that was terribly rude of me. Perhaps I was overly indulged in my previous life, and never learned that common courtesies were not gender specific. I will definitely make a point of remembering that, and will strive to conduct myself in a more accommodating manner throughout the remainder of the evening."

Taking the lead, being the aggressor, traditional or not, Shay didn't mind at all, as long as Dayle enjoyed herself tonight. And since she really had no prior memories to the contrary, nothing about her plans seemed unusual, or inappropriate. The only way Shay would feel otherwise, would be if Dayle put a halt to the festivities herself.

And Shay refused to consider that as an option.

"You know, that is an important point. Having a huge SUV like Ginnie's wouldn't allow me to do this..."

And before she finished the sentence, Shay had swung the car into the next lane, just ahead of an oncoming car, and just behind the vehicle ahead. Neither of the other cars had to brake, and Shay continued with the flow of traffic, so while the little maneuver was a bit harrowing, it had still been completely safe.

"Ok...we'll stick with the bug for now. Besides, it really does get fantastic gas mileage...and I'd bet anything Ginnie's guzzles the gas."

Within a very short amount of time, Shay reached the drive in, and turned to Dayle before pulling up to one of several ticket windows.

"Okay...one more decision to make...what movie did you want to see?"

(Shay and Dayle out, and to the 'drive-in' at the Park and Nature Preserve)