Fairy by the Fountain

Theo balanced carefully on the rounded edge of the fountain, watching as the sky grew darker. Nachton had finally hit a cold snap; only this past weekend she could open her windows at night, but now the air was crisp and icy. The weather still lent itself to rain rather than snow, but it was dry enough at the moment.

One foot hovered precariously over the water before finding its place in front of her, and in such a fashion she made her way around the inner ledge, holding a quiet conversation with a voice in her mind.

You're all alone out here.

Theo nearly gasped with relief when she heard Paul's voice in her mind; she hadn't known she was so worried until then, but it had been several days since she had heard from him.

"Not anymore,"Â? she said with a broad smile that only grew at Paul's dry, almost but not quite sarcastic reply.

I suppose that's a fair point.

"Where have you been,"Â? she pouted, mostly because she was anxious to keep the conversation going and didn't quite know what else to say. "You haven't talked to me for days and days."Â?

There was a long pause, and Theo thought she heard a sigh before Paul replied.

You know I can't tell you that.

Theo hesitated with her foot in midair, frowning a little. Her answer was reluctant.
"Yeah."Â?

Paul was relentless as he pressed on.

And you know why I can't tell you that.

"Yeah."Â? She croaked, feeling more depressed than ever now. Suddenly she drove her foot down to the ankle in the water and kicked up, making an impressive splash that arced over the edge of the fountain. She didn't want to think about why Paul couldn't account for his absence. After a moment spent brooding, she decided to change the subject, gesturing to the statue in the center of the fountain with a sense of false cheer.

"This is Artemis. Some call her the Virgin Huntress."Â? She wondered what it might be like to be eternally innocent, but before the thought could turn depressing Paul spoke up again.

I know who the pagans worship.

Theo rolled her eyes, though her grin was more genuine; that was such a -Paul- thing to say.

They continued to bicker good naturedly as she rounded the fountain, and for a while she forgot she had been sad. Perhaps coming out for a walk had been the right thing to do after all.

Theodosia 17 years ago
Paul fell quiet after a while, and nothing Theo said could get him speaking again. He did that sometimes; she was used to it, but she still wished he had stayed longer. Sighing, she jumped off of the ledge and went to find her shoes, which she had stashed under a bench while she dipped her feet in the water.

Trying to feel better and not quite managing it, she headed back to the limo, where Tim was waiting. She didn’t want to go home just yet; the walls which had always seemed so comfortable before now seemed confining, restrictive. As she nodded to her body guard and slipped inside the limo, and idea occurred to her, and she smiled, just a little.

“Let’s go to evening Mass.”

/ooc Theo out