Weathering the Stom (private: attn Pak)

It was a dark and stormy night.

Kem had always wanted his internal monologue to start that way. In this case, it was entirely accurate. He'd parked in the garage amd walked into Meridian through the heavy rain, enjoying the storm and not minding getting a bit wet.

The archives were empty; he'd never understood why people felt the need to leave early when the weather was bad. Snow, yes... but this was just a little mid-winter thunderstorm. Well... a big thunderstorm. Details, details. Regardless, everyone else had gone for the night. His wet jacket had been left upstairs in the breakroom on the floor above the archives, and he was happily at work preparing a loan for one of the professors at the local university. It involved a lot of paperwork, and then he'd have to go upstairs to Collections and find the right artifacts. Tedious, but enjoyable... if such a thing were possible.

It was amazing that he could still hear the thunder from in here; it was some storm. He wished he had a window or two, just to be able to hear the rain coming down. That was the disadvantage of working on the lower floors. Then again, one didn't have to worry about sunlight turning one into a pile of ash, and that was almost certainly a perk.

Pakpao 17 years ago
She had not been able to think straight since the thunder woke her up late that afternoon. It had taken a while for the storm to move in in full swing but it was here now and the thirty first floor was a bad place for her to be. Who the hell had put all these windows in.

Sitting on the floor in the kitchen with the laptop was not something one would expect of a two hundred plus year old vampire. As the storm got closer and the night got darker even with the lights on Pak could still see the lightening bolts.

Finally unable to take it any more she'd left her apartment and knowing her office would be no refuge tried to come up with legitimate place and reason to cower. Not that she would cower, no she wouldn't. And in the course of not cowering she could... ummmm... check on the archives. They seemed to need a great deal of tech support.

Why in hell's name had she taken the bridge over? That was possibly one of the worst decisions she'd made in her life. Subterfuge or not she was quickly losing control and was clearly jumpy although she put on a tight smile and some semblance of professional cool once she finally made it to the archives.
Kem`Raaisu 17 years ago
Kem returned to the archives with a box full of items from Collections and closed the door, then turned in surprise when it closed again. Blowing a few strands of hair out of his eyes, he tilted his head to the side curiously.
"Not that I'm not glad to see you," he said to Pak, "but I promise... I haven't melted down any computers yet tonight."

There was something wrong with her. That much was obvious to him right off the bat and was in itself a telling thing. She was so hard to read normally, he suspected strongly that subterfuge was one of her abilities. He couldn't really pin down what it was, but... she really did seem a bit... off.

Kem put his box down out of the way, automatically checking for misplaced screwdrivers. "Are you all right?"

His voice was soft, punctuated by a roll of thunder as he peered at her curiously.
Pakpao 17 years ago
She'd been so focused on the storm and getting away from it that she hadn't expected to run into Kem. Stupid really, Kem, archives, they went together and ordinarily it would be one of the first places she looked for him.

She'd just been relaxing, feeling safe in the realization that there were no windows here when she heard his voice. Pak's gaze and head snapped up suddenly and she blinked in surprise, her tight insincere smile not flickering for a second.

"Not yet, but precaution is better than a cure."

That had sounded like her, a little hollow perhaps, maybe a little nervous but still smart assed. Pak was just thinking she might be able to bluff her way through this as the thunder rumbled. Thunder wasn't the problem, but it was loud enough that is must be close and she could see in her mind's eye the lightening and while she didn't jump she twitched anxiously and answered too quickly.

"No, nothing. Not at all."
Kem`Raaisu 17 years ago
Pak was doing her best impression of a deer in headlights, Kem thought, even with that smile pasted to her face. He'd seen Pak smile and laugh. That wasn't her usual expression. And while normally Kem would be the first to admit that when it came to sorting out people's emotions, he was no expert, he wasn't stupid either.

Occasionally, he would open up and vent at someone. Pak, on the other hand, he could see as the clam-up-and-let-it-fester type. So he stopped asking. She'd obviously come down here for a reason and he wasn't going to try to pry it from her.

But at least she could make up a better excuse, couldn't she? For all the good-natured ribbing he took regarding the computers in the archives, they were a hobby of his and he could usually tell what was wrong with one and if he had the skill to fix it himself.

"So... you're here to fix one of our computers... uh, before it breaks?" Outside the storm raged about, and inside Pak twitched. And Kem started to get a flicker of an idea about what might be bothering her. "That's awfully diligent of you. Not to mention above and beyond the call of tech support."

Kem was busy playing 'let's count the inconsistencies' in his head. Aside from what he'd already noticed, there was the fact that she could easily have sent any of her underlings to do what she was claiming to be here for. There was also the fact the she didn't seem to have her tools with her. While he didn't mind the lack of screwdrivers rolling about, it was pretty obvious.

Sensitivity went a long way with him, however, and he didn't want to make things any worse. So he sat down at his desk and pushed a chair out to her with his toes, rolling it along with his mind.

"Look, it's ok if you just want to admit it. You're checking up on me." He pasted a scowl on his face and gave her an out as he lied to her. "That's sweet of you, but I promise... I haven't been beating myself up over the matter of the stones. I think I'll just put them in storage for now."

Wanting an objective opinion on the subject of the temple wall Aishe had managed to smuggle to Nachton, he'd told Pak about it a few days ago over beers. He wasn't exactly torn over the situation; it was an out and it was hers if she wanted it. He thought he might be able to figure out what was wrong without her saying so. If there was one thing Kem could recognize, it was someone having issues. He was, after all, the 'I have issues' poster child.
Pakpao 17 years ago
"Neither rain, nor sleet, nor dark of night will stop IT from their appointed rounds."

Kem could see through her couldn't he. No there wasn't a question there, Pak was sure he could, but her imagination was holding her hostage. Truly thunder didn't bother Pak, but she'd seen the lightening this evening and the closer and louder the thunder got...

The chair rolled towards her and she sat down, one leg folded under her smiling a weakly watery smile. Grateful Kem would give her an out, apparently she was coming off as a little jumpy.

"You beat yourself up? Where would I get that idea?"

An exceptionally loud clap of thunder crashed and the lights flicked as the power debated failing. Pak gripped the arms of the chair and pulled her other leg up to her chest as the quip died on her lips and her face froze; she was having a very had time ignoring the storm tonight.

She knew she wasn't being good company right now, but she also didn't care.
Kem`Raaisu 17 years ago
There were times when Kem definitely condoned festering, but having the head of the IT department and MARI's close personal pal fester in his archives didn't really sit well. That said, he also understood the notion of running someplace safe with your tail between your legs in order to hide.

Obviously the weather was making Pak just a -tad- bit jumpy. So, Kem reasoned, the best solution for that was to remove the stimulus altogther. There were no windows down here, so that took care of the visual aspect. Sound was another problem, but he actually had a fix for that thanks to Aishe.

He put his stack of papers down next to his box of Fun Things. "You know, this loan can wait," he said thoughtfully. "I'm glad you're here. I wasn't really up to being alone in the archives. That whole overthinking... thing."

Kem was a pretty lousy liar on a good day. Somehow he thought Pak might choose to believe him of her own volition, however.

"Aishe's moving out, and I have a box of her things in the break room to bring back to my place. Our place," he corrected himself. Nevermind the fact that he'd had to climb to get them and she knew it... 31 stories with incentive (read: girlfriend) at the top was one thing, but 31 stories without - well, not so much. "Anyway, I was sort of thinking - they're not really up my alley but I could use a distraction. There are a few DVDs in there, if you want."

Kem looked at Pak with what he hoped was his best pitiful and hopeful expression. He'd kissed his pride goodbye long ago. At least he could help her salvage hers.
Pakpao 17 years ago
"She's moving out?"

Ordinarily Pak would have taken that as obvious. Aishe was now a vampire and Kem knew she was in Nachton, of course they'd live together. But not being her usual sharp self right now the idea didn't click.

The archives seemed to be a wonderful place, no windows, under ground; she just might stay here the rest of the night right in the middle of them as far from the walls as possibly, just in case.

Pak couldn't bring herself to be embarrassed or irritated that Kem knew something was wrong. He'd rambled enough at her that there was no shame in being a coward right now. She looked at him with a grateful expression and nodded.

"I think a distraction might be a very good thing."

Just please don't make me go back upstairs or near a window
Kem`Raaisu 17 years ago
Kem felt his face grow red at making Aishe's new home common knowledge for the first time, even if it was just pak... especially because it was Pak, he corrected himself. She was just as likely to give him shit for it as anything else. "Yeah. It seemed logical. I mean, it's difficult to see her at Liefde all the time anyway, with... oh." Pak didn't know about the thing with heights. All the better, probably.

"That's for another time," he said with a dry smile. "For now, let me show you what I had in mind."

He led her up one level to the break room where he'd stowed his wet jacket after coming in. It was set up as two rooms; upon entry they stood in a well-lit, tiled room with a few tables and some vending machines, the microwave, coffeemaker, and various other life-supprting (and unlife-supporting) appliances.

Beyond that, however, was a lounge. Comfy chairs and a decent-sized TV made up this room, which was dominated by a soft couch.

"This is home away from home," Kem said. "Some of us," Ok, mostly me, "have a tendency to get caught up in work every once in a while. What I mean to say is, I've spent plenty of days on this couch sleeping out the sunlight until it gets dark and I can go home... or just back to work. There's a bathroom over in that corner, and some blankets in the closet. It's a good hole to..."

He was about to say 'hide in,' but he wasn't sure Pak would like that idea, so he modified it. "...burrow into. Especially on a night like this. No one will be in here tonight. We were sort of light on the schedule this week anyway, and everyone left early."

And with luck, they could turn out the TV and drown out whatever was scaring Pak. It was making Kem uncomfortable, too. He wasn't used to people running to him for help. Granted, Pak had sought out the archives and not necessarily his company, but he couldn't very well ignore her.
Pakpao 17 years ago
Instead of pressing and tormenting as Kem side stepped something she let it slide, a further sign she was not her usual self. It was possible she could deal with this better, but it would take time, practice and as storms were sporadic and unpredictable.

She made note that stairwells would also be an acceptable place to pass the evening the next time there was a storm. This was much better than hiding out in her kitchen, although she was reluctant to follow Kem upstairs, but her trust wasn't misplaced there were still no windows and the break room looked extremely comfortable.

"I'm starting to think someone likes the archivists better than IT."

Another sharp clap of thunder, it sounded like it was right outside the building, and Pak sat on the couch. She was feeling better since she couldn't see the lightening but she still curled up in the corner of the sofa, burrowing as Kem said.

"It is a comfy couch. What movies did she send you after?"

Pak ask hopefully, something loud, something that didn't involve storms. She just wanted to stop thinking about it, to not have it looming over her. It was a pathetic fear, but she just could escape it.
Kem`Raaisu 17 years ago
Kem favored Pak with a slightly smug grin. "Well,we do have seniority," he said, regarding their break room. "After all, Meridian was all about historical artifacts long before computers existed."

He didn't actually think there was any reason for one break room to be better than the other, although he tended to be a bit of a hardass about keeping theirs neat and tidy. Pak was indeed nestling onto the couch, looking exceptionally small and frightened, which hit a chord in Kem that made him want to hiss at whatever was scaring her. Funny, he'd thought only Aishe could inspire that feeling in him, but when he thought about it it made sense. Although from different nationalities, both Aishe and Pak had the same basic features and build.

Kem removed a blanket from the closet and dropped it gently over Pak's shoulders to assist in the whole burrowing thing and then opened his laptop case. "Probably nothing too exciting, go ahead and have a look."

He took out a handful of DVDs from the front pocket. Most of them were animations, but there were a few gems in there, he thought, his eyes falling on the one or two Mel Brooks movies he'd seen on her shelves and nabbed. So they'd have double copies; big deal.

"Pick what you like. Coffee?"

Without waiting for an answer Kem headed back into the first room and set up the coffee maker. Pak had enjoyed his style of coffee last time, so he may as well treat her again, although he didn't normally make it that way here. He did have everything he needed though.

The storm still raged outside, putting him in something of a good mood. That didn't bode well for Pak, however, but Kem didn't plan on leaving her by herself anyway, so he prepared to settle in for the night.
Pakpao 17 years ago
Pak just appreciated having someone else about right now, it seemed to take the edge off and Kem seemed to know a thing or two about hiding out. Funny how much the two of them understood about the other without talking about it. It kept them from being forced into awkward situations or conversations. Accept and move on, don't ask don't tell, these were golden rules when it came to somethings and they both knew it.

"Yes please."

Coffee did sound good, she hadn't even realized she was cold until Kem gave her the blanket. Wrapped up effectively and protectively Pak bat the movies about with her mind. She was half looking for the Seven Samurai as she'd failed to watch that, or The Matrix or a Monty Python; but, apparently she and Aishe had different tastes. Pak had never cultivated a liking for animation, she could take it or leave it, and wound up yanking out Blazing Saddles. While she didn't like westerns, this hardly counted as a western and didn't require too much brain power.

"You can pick something different if you want. But I haven't seen this one in a while. I probably ought to just break down and get a copy or at least illegally down load it."
Kem`Raaisu 17 years ago
Kem took the DVD from Pak and obligingly set it up, returning the case to her. "All yours," he said amiably. "We have doubles of some of our movies. You're welcome to it."

Without more than a glance he turned the volume up to a decent level and pushed the play button when the menu was presented. Then he went back into the front room, poured the coffee, and brought Pak's out to her.

"Snack?" The archivists had long-since rigged the vending machine in the break room to dispense free munchies. Or close to... a few pennies and you were off and away.

He tried not to make a big show of examining his friend, but he did give her the once-over and decided that she looked at least a little better... if not entirely at ease. Kem gave a little shrug; they all had their fears and weaknesses. Pak didn't like to show hers any more than he did, apparently, and he respected that.

It didn't mean he couldn't worry about her though, he figured reasonably.
Pakpao 17 years ago
'Am I that obvious?' She wondered as Kem turned the DVD up louder than it needed to be. It didn't matter, she'd rather be slightly obvious and accept offered help than ask for help and wind up explaining herself.

Accepting the coffee she sighed and melted back into the cushions, letting the first long swallow burn her tongue and roof of her mouth. A certain wariness and tension hung about her, but Pak was feeling much better than she had when she went in search of a place to hide... er the archives; but she didn't feel like eating either and just shook her head.

"Trying to keep me out of federal prison for violating copy wright laws or trying to keep Meridian out of the news"
Kem`Raaisu 17 years ago
Kem grabbed a bag of pretzels from the machine and went back inside. He took a seat on the couch, not at the opposite end from Pak but close enough that she shouldn't feel isolated. Setting his coffee down on the table next to the couch after shoving a few magazines aside, he stretched his long legs out and crossed them at the ankles.

Shooting Pak a grin he said, "Oh I don't really think prison stripes would suit you. And Meridian's in the news all the time anyhow. So there must be some other amazingly obscure reason."

He shrugged his shoulders and put his hands behind his head. He could still hear the thunder if he listened for it, so he watched Pak out of the corner of his eye to gauge how high he ought to turn the TV up, if that was the problem.
Pakpao 17 years ago
"Maybe if we could talk them into pin strips, vertical of course. That wouldn't be too bad. White on charcoal, instead of black and white, close to what I wear most of the time any way and makes me look taller besides."

Now she was talking too much and making very little sense, but she was continuing to relax and couldn't be upset about it.

Given Kem's posture, which was the complete opposite of hers, Pak decided nothing about the storm bothered him. Apparently she was the only storm freak in the building, maybe the clan. She mentally shrugged, it didn't matter.

"Obscure my eye, you just don't want to be on TV." She put on a fair imitation of an announcer voice "Renegade Vampires Movie Pirates next on Geraldo."
Kem`Raaisu 17 years ago
"Makes you look... taller? I never understood fashion." Kem was baffled by the idea that stripes might make someone look taller. "Why would you even need to look any taller anyway? What's wrong with how tall you are now?"

Besides, women were supposed to be shorter. That's what made them all... womanly. Or whatever.

Kem was never going to come out on top in this debate, so he prepared to come off as stupid as possible. There was no way he'd ever get ahead in a discussion about women, or fashion, much less both combined.

"And damn right I don't want to be on TV. Being on stage was bad enough. TV would kill me. Again."

Did Pak even know he'd ever...? Oh, wonderful. If she hadn't had enough ammunition, he'd just given her some more. Maybe the storm was freaking her out enough that she'd gloss over that little tidbit.
Pakpao 17 years ago
Pak rolled her eyes at the lanky Egyptian next to her. Tall people had no idea at all did they?

"There is nothing wrong with it until you figure that I'm trying to manage a pack of mostly male T-Rex who are all a foot or so taller than me. Have you ever tried to project an image of authority while standing on a chair?"

The T-Rex image was left over from another conversation but she'd rather liked it and it had batted around in her head ever since. She'd said something to her assistant and a model T-Rex had shown up on her desk, Pak had kept it there.

"Oh really? A thespian? Should I be impressed should I be dancing through your office shouting "MacBeth" or just cutting right to the chase and breaking your leg."

Pak had never acted, but she had hung around backstage for one reason or another. She'd never considered it a career or even a hobby, but she'd picked up on the superstitions.
Kem`Raaisu 17 years ago
"Amazing... I have no problems envisioning you standing on a chair to get attention." Kem thought it would be fitting for Pak. She had the guts enough to do it. "Of course, those stubby arms of yours could throw you off balance. You ought to be careful."
Hoping Pak was too distracted to pick on him had been a complete pipe dream. She honed in on it like... well, like a T-Rex spotting a lame deer.

"Not much of a thespian. I did some singing when money was tight. That was a while ago. I've been told I'm a passable actor as well but I never liked being on stage. It was a relief to get off of it."

Well, in all honesty he enjoyed singing. Getting onto the stage was a pain in the ass, but once he'd actually started singing he was fine. He wasn't about to let that much get out though. Then he'd never hear the end of it.
Pakpao 17 years ago
Realistically Kem was lucky Pak was still partially wigged out, or she would be more aggressive about tormenting him. That stubby arm comment ordinarily would have earned him something thrown at him, anything from flat wear to a shoe, what ever she could get a hold of with her mind; but for now he was safe. It hadn't occur to her to assault her hero of the moment.

"Singer? I've got my very own American Idol? Come on spill it, how long ago and what did you sing. What were you a member of the Four Tops?"

That was a ridiculous idea as the Four Tops were all black but the movie had put the idea of an ethnically inappropriate match up.
Kem`Raaisu 17 years ago

Kem cleared his throat in the direction of the movie, but Pak persisted in the singing thing. "I sang classical. Although it wasn't referred to as classical at the time," he pointed out. "Like I said, it was quite some time ago. Opera too, I suppose."

He wasn't about to dignify the Four Tops part of the question with a response. Apparently he'd distracted Pak all too well.

"More coffee?" The question was a formality really... he was up and had her mug in his hands before she even answered him.