Oh Look Guns! (attn: Shay)

Ginnie stepped into the elevator after Shay and instructed it to the shooting range. It moved them to the appropriate floor and quietly swooshed open.

"We'll get you measured for custom holsters and body armor first. A bullet won't kill you anymore, but they take a long time to heal when you're young, not to mention it hurts like a son-of-a-bitch. I tend to wear a vest when hunting or out on certain business ventures."

They stopped in front of a door that looked like every other, except the little plaque on the side read "Shooting Range" She placed her hand on the keypad and the door shushed opened for them. She had a momentary giggle when she thought about the doors in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and applied the soft happy sighs to the domicile doors. They walked inside and Ginnie opened a door to the left. Inside the small room was a state of the art 3-D biometrics recording system. It was basically a digital x-ray pod, but fancier. Ginnie hadn't created the technology so she knew little about it beyond it's use, function and operation.

"If you'll shimmy down to your under things, and step inside there, we'll get you measured. It only takes a minute. I'm sorry it's so cold, but the equipment prevents using the heat."

She walked over behind the control panel and fired the machine up.

"This will give us all the measurements we need to get armor, holsters and proper length guns, knives and anything else you want. This also puts you in the system that allows you to requisition certain items that require specific size. Once we get this done I'll send in the req.'s for your holsters. Today we'll set you up with a standard sized utility belt. Then after you are used to the weapons you can decide what kind of draw you want."

Ginnie was in her own element here and was excited to be sharing it with her daughter and friend.

Shay 17 years ago
Humming a song she had heard in the mall, which she thought might be a Christmas song, Shay's excitement about what they were going to do grew, as Ginnie explained things.

Custom holsters, and special guns...body armor, and vests...they all sounded so thrilling, and intrigue filled, Shay was almost beside herself. Once they were inside the room, having watched as Ginnie used her special 'key' to enter, Shay was a little awe struck by the machinery.

"Now I really do feel like I've stepped into Mission Impossible. You really know how to use all this stuff?"

Seeing Ginnie in a different light, Shay was vastly impressed to think her mother knew such awesome things, and her respect for the woman grew. Feeling like she had the best in a teacher also helped spur Shay into doing what she was told, when she was told. The instruction to strip was adhered to without hesitation, and in seconds Shay stood before her mom in her bikini panties, and tank. The fact that Shay was cold was evident through her tank top, but she didn't whine one bit. Her focus was on the strange machine she now had to get into, and what would result once she had finished.

"Like this?" She stepped into the 'container' and stood stock still, her eyes doing all the moving for her.

"Do I just stand here...do I need to hold my arms a certain way...my hands?"

Eyes bright with anticipation, Shay grinned and looked to Ginnie for further guidance.
Ginnie 17 years ago
Ginnie grinned at Shay. She'd felt a little Mission Impossible herself, her first days with Tach. "I know how to use it. How it works? Well that's for the team that made it to know and me to go, Thanks bunches."

She put in her password and began to input Shay's personal information; hair color, eye color, date of creation, that sort of thing.

"Just like that, thanks."

She instructed the machine to begin the process and it whirred into life. "Just hold your arms loose by your sides, it will instruct you as it goes along."

Ginnie watched the monitors to make sure everything was working like it was supposed to. It took her height, weight, head circumference, and shoe size, then instructed her to lift her arms up and to the side at shoulder height. It then took torso and arm measurements. Though it didn't appear to do anything, but flicker a green light at Shay. It then instructed her to lower her arms and place her feet shoulder width apart. It took leg and inseam measurements. It then told Shay that her session was over and to please step out.

"I'm going to put in orders for you while you get dressed."

Ginnie pulled up the requisition program and ordered everything Shay would need. It would be delivered in a week, but Shay could manage with borrowed equipment until then. She got a confirmation number, e-mailed to herself and then shut the programs and machine down. It began it's descending hum as she stepped over to the door, coat still slung across one arm.

"Ready to pick a gun?"
Shay 17 years ago
It really was the strangest sensation to feel a part of something Shay only imagined was in the future, and not really her future. Part of her felt more like she was part of a movie, rather than the real world...machines like this just did not exist in the real world. So while she followed directions, and moved as she was told to, it was nearly impossible to imagine anything would come of the whole exercise.

Getting out, she nodded in understanding, and began to dress. When she was finished she ran her fingertips along different parts of the machines, as if by touching them they became more real. The minute Ginnie mentioned guns, Shay's attentions left the machines.

"Sure! Let's! Though I can only think of one person I'd like to put a bullet through, I think it will be fun learning how to use one...again?" It was another one of those odd feelings that seemed to be popping up more and more as time passed, where Shay had no memory of it, but could imagine herself doing something very naturally. Holding and firing a gun was something she knew she knew, but didn't really. Her whole thought process on it was too confusing to her, so she kept it to herself rather than try to explain it to the others.

"Do you think I can really get a job with the clan, once I learn and prove I can handle myself? You all have been just wonderful taking me in like this, teaching me, showing me how to behave...but all I have to do when I'm not with the three of you is watch movies, and frankly a couple hours of that at a time is becoming my limit. I would really like to have a purpose...and feel like I'm contributing something."

There was no whine in her tone, or attempt for pity, but pure concern and questioning. Shay needed to be independent, it was extremely important to her, though she had no logical reason for feeling that way.

"And can I use both a gun, and knives?" She still had a yearning to try her hand at throwing blades...and she giggled as she saw herself pulling one out of her clothes, where it was hidden somewhere, and hitting her target dead on. It seemed practical to have both skills, as one would serve better in maintaining a lower profile, and attacking targets stealthily, and the other would probably be easier and quicker to use.
Ginnie 17 years ago
"Yes again is appropriate. You were a police officer for part of your human life so the feel of a gun should be familiar."

Ginnie crossed the entry hall and went through the hand on the keypad deal again. She opened what was little more than a walk in closet, but it was filled to the gills with guns, ammo, knives, and other ordinance.

"I don't see why you can't find a job with in the Clan. Alec has done quite well for himself, and the Clan uses everyone of its members in some way. I am sure Dayle can find an appropriate place for you."

She stepped inside the closet and went to the hand guns. She figured a 9mm would be the best for Shay since they tended to be standard issue in most police departments. Perhaps a Glock or something less badass...

"Sure, knives are great weapons. We'll get you checked out on a hand gun, a pistol, a rifle and some small knives, the kind that are easy to maneuver in fighting situations or can be thrown."

She chose the glock, a Smith and Wesson .45, a semi-automatic rifle and a small set of four inch blade knives. She set them on a small table by the door that rested under a wall mounted laptop computer. She chose a standard small kevlar vest, a multi-position utility belt, holsters, and a sturdy cross chest strap for the rifle. She quickly checked everything out under Shay's name with her own as trainer, on the lap top and then placed it all into a black duffle bag.

"We'll suit you up in the range. There isn't enough room here."

She stepped out and the light shut off behind her, and the door snicked closed. She handed the bag to Shay, and moved further into the hall.

"Let's go kill some paper men."
Shay 17 years ago
"A cop??" The note of disappointment was evident as Shay all but refused to think of being in such a position of...righteousness? Not that she felt immoral, but she acknowledged that she was flawed, and as such had no desire to then try and impose laws onto others, or live in a manner that would hold her up to scrutiny.

Yet she assumed if any of that life carried over, the ability to handle weapons would be very useful for her now.

"But doesn't Dayle work in an ... office? I know I'm not qualified now, but since I plan to use most of my free time training, I hope soon I'll be able to do whatever it is we do."

That statement brought up a giggle from Shay. "Just what is it Tacharan's do anyway?" She had to assume it was dangerous, else there would be no need for everything Ginnie was showing her now. Hopefully in time Ginnie, and Alec, and Dayle would fill in all the details, and right now she was still excited to be getting her hands on things that could go 'boom'!

Taking the bag, and finding it not as heavy as she thought, Shay slung it over her shoulder, and nodded vehemently at Ginnie's suggestion.

Needing to break the silence, and also filled with curiosity, Shay brought up the subject of Alec, as Ginnie led her to the range.

"So...have you and Alec been together long...and did you meet him here in Nachton?"

She also returned to humming the tune she'd been humming earlier. Lately she noticed she seemed much too in tune to things around her...voices...sounds...movements, and while they weren't terribly distracting, she found if she hummed it helped eliminate some of the noise.
Ginnie 17 years ago
"Yes Dayle works in an office, but she also places people into positions that fit their talents, documents the Clan and helps those that need it. She helps to keep Tach up and running."

She palmed open the door to the shooting range and stopped at the small kiosk near by. They were not in the range proper, it was more like a hallway with equipment. She signed them in and signed out ammunition, eye protection, and ear covering while she spoke.

"Tacharan's do what is needed. We have mercenaries to do dirty work, we have doctors, researchers, laborers, assassins, lab technicians, I'd say about sixty percent of the people working for Duibne are vampires or kin of the clan, meaning familiars or humans in the know. We'll find the right place for you. It may take a while until we know your abilities and talents, so that we can put you in a proper place to hone them. Right now, I think you'll be doing grunt work until you come into your abilities."

She handed Shay her ear covers and safety glasses, and headed into the shooting range proper. It was much like every other shooting range, only all digital and state-of-the-future-art. She put her things into one booth and Shay's ammo in the booth next to it.

"I've known Alec for over a year now, and I met him here in the Domicile, because he was going to do some work for me."

She pulled her Browning from the left holster and dropped the clip into her hand, then emptied the bullets out, placing them in a pocket. She then replaced her live bullets with the practice blanks required in the range.

"Ok pull out the hand gun. That's a 9 millimeter glock, and I want you to fill the clip."
Shay 17 years ago
Shay hoped Ginnie didn't think she thought less of Dayle for working in an office. In Shay's eyes, there was probably little about her friend that she could find fault with. However, that didn't mean Shay wanted to follow in Dayle's footsteps either.

"So forty percent who work here...have no idea who they are working with?" It didn't bother her, if those statistics were correct, but it did surprise Shay a little. From what she had seen so far, everything at the Domicile was highly secured, and with those kinds of protections in place, it seemed a little odd they would turn around and let 'commoners' work there. But any confusion she felt was kept to herself. There was just too much for her to learn, before she imagined she would have any comprehension of the grand scheme of things.

"That sounds pretty great really...being a gopher, or doing the odds and ends work should get me a lot of exposure to the various people, and parts of the organization. And even if I don't remember anything from my past, I seem to have a knack for picking up things quickly."

Somewhat dissatisfied with Ginnie's response to the questions about Alec, Shay shrugged. Her mother appeared fluent in discussing her work, but her personal life seemed to be something she didn't want to talk about much. Shay again didn't understand, but had no reason to pursue it, since it didn't effect her directly.

Her eyes never left Ginnie's hand or her gun, once she began changing out the bullets. When Ginnie then instructed Shay to retrieve her own gun, she did so, and looked it over carefully. Once she examined it, she held it in her hand, pointing it away from Ginnie. The weight felt fine, and there did seem to be some familiarity with it...kind of like a deja vu feeling.

Dropping the clip from the gun, Shay set the gun down, and took out a box of the bullets. The bullets weren't terribly impressive...barely over an inch long...but they were substantial in weight, and it was easy for Shay to see how they could do a great deal of damage, once they passed through the soft skin and muscle of a body. Popping the bullets into the clip, she then replaced the clip in the gun, and smiled up at Ginnie.

"Like that?"
Ginnie 17 years ago
Shay's shrug had her wondering if perhaps she had wanted more detail about her relationship with Alec. Ginnie talked to very few people about her personal life, granted she didn't have that many people to talk to anyway.

"Let's shoot things and then I'll buy you a coffee and tell you all about how I met and fell in love with Alec. Okay?"

She did want to share, but now was not the time or place. They had more important things to talk about anyway. She watched at Shay deftly filled and replaced her clip, she gave a satisfied nod and returned Shay's smile.

"Perfect. Now I'm going to let you fire some rounds, then we'll talk about gun safety, and how to dismantle your weapon, then you'll run a few drills, and then shoot some more."

She stepped up to Shay's booth and pressed the green button on the small console in the corner of the table.

"Ok that turns it on. This button pulls up a target." She depressed a button on the LCD screen that depicted a silhouette of a head and shoulders. At the far end of the range a target lowered from the ceiling and was put into maximum range. "Ok this sets your target distance, or you can program it to move at will. That is more challenging and best for after you are checked out and familiar with your weapons."

She set it to mid-range, and selected the slow start training option. "That gives us the opportunity to talk between rounds if need be. Now you need to put on the ear protection and safety goggles and I'm going to do the same. Then step up to the booth, but don't lean on the table as that will throw your aim. Then empty your clip."

Ginnie stepped back and into her own booth, she pulled up her own program and fired her clip, it was a rush and a release for her, one that she was glad for, as the stress of the day melted from her completely. Yes, she loved killing things, even paper men.
Shay 17 years ago
Ginnie's offer to explain more about her and Alec was acknowledged, but Shay's interest had already shifted to the guns, and shooting. Nodding quickly, ready to move on to other things as well, Shay held the gun and paid strict attention to Ginnie's instructions.

Putting on her goggles and earcovers, Shay waited for Ginnie to go to her own booth. Feeling what she imagined was adrenalin pumping through her veins, Shay turned towards the target, aimed her gun, and fired. The first three shots were done slowly, as she took great pains to focus on the target, and get a feel for the weapon. After that she emptied her gun in seconds, and kept clicking the trigger a couple times after, disappointed all ten rounds were already gone.

Pushing the button, Shay waited for the target to come closer for inspection. Seeing there were eight distinct spots where she had hit the target, she assumed the first two she'd pulled off missed completely. There was one shot in an upper corner that missed the 'body', but the remaining seven shots all centered nicely around the heart of the silhouette, with three nearly perfectly aligned in the center of the heart area.

"Wanna see the results?" Shay bent herself around the corner, so she could see Ginnie in her booth. "I seem to have done pretty well, though I'd think shooting at a imaginary person, while standing stock still, and having near perfect conditions around me really isn't much of a test. At least we both now know I can at least use a gun."

Moving back into her booth, Shay replaced the spent blanks with a new set, and prepared to move the target back, farther away this time.

"All in all it seems pretty easy. I just look where I want the bullet to go, pull the trigger, and the bullet goes there. Even with the target moving, it still seems like a piece of cake. I guess having 10/20 sight helps a lot too."

Not that Shay knew what her vision was, but from what she could tell, it seemed better than excellent. She had no trouble at all seeing things, crystal clearly, that she guessed had to be a considerable distance. Maybe later she'd ask Ginnie if there was someone who could test her. Her hearing also seemed extremely sensitive, but again she didn't know if it was normal, or perhaps a result of being a vampire.

For now she wanted to shoot some more, so unmindful of Ginnie's presence, Shay pointed the gun again, and took her first few shots.
Ginnie 17 years ago
Ginnie looked up from loading her weapon at the target now just a few feet from Shay's booth. It was a good cluster. Ginnie would need to teach her to aim somewhere other than the heart, but it was good to know she could aim solidly.

"Nice cluster, Shay. These conditions are the best for practice, we'll take you into real world simulations after you check out in here. I have a simulator in my lab at Duibne and there is one here, but this is the best for sighting practice."

She finished pressing the rounds into the clip and shoved the clip home, smiling at it's click.

"It's supposed to be easy. At least it is when you are comfortable with a fire arm, and have natural talent, and you my dear one have both."

She set the target to move at random and emptied her clip into head and belly in two perfect circles. She slid the clip from the gun and set both pieces down on the table, removed goggles and ear covers and stepped back from the booths to wait for Shay to finish her second clip. When she finally stepped back, Ginnie gave her a smile.

"We're going to move into safety and care on all of your weapons, then I'll let you have your head with each one for a while. Then we'll put your results into the computer and it will tell us if you pass muster. If you do, you'll be able to come down here unaccompanied."
Shay 17 years ago
Grinning like a half wit, it occurred to Shay that Ginnie's opinion meant something to her, and was glad that her 'mother' found her marksmanship to be satisfactory.

For unknown reasons, Shay had confidence in her ability to learn where guns were concerned. She too acknowledged that the handling of the firearm seemed innate, and with each shot she felt more and more relaxed.

When she finished her second clip, she saw that Ginnie was ready to move onto other things. Only a tiny bit disappointed there would be no more shooting for the time being, Shay removed her own goggles, and ear pieces, and set them on the counter with the gun. Knowing, if she passed the test, she would be able to come down anytime and practice made the transition to the next phase much easier.

"Alrighty...ready when you are."

Clasping her hands in front of her, Shay bounced on the balls of her feet as she waited for Ginnie to continue.
Ginnie 17 years ago
Ginnie gave a short nod, and walked across the range, and pushed a rolling table over to where Shay stood. She pulled a white towel from the shelf below the table top and laid it out.

"Ok let's have your gun."

Ginnie took it from Shay's hand with a smile. Shay had handed it to her butt first with out being told, that told Ginnie a lot about her daughter's abilities.

"Watch carefully."

She said nothing else as she quickly disassembled the weapon. She laid each piece down as it was removed. Looked up at Shay to be sure she'd caught what Ginnie had done. She then put the weapon back together and handed it to Shay.

"Your turn."
Shay 17 years ago
Retrieving the gun from the counter, Shay handed it to Ginnie as requested, and watched intently as the gun was taken apart. It was a puzzle of sorts, and seemed simple enough if she just thought of the pieces by number.
Part one went to part two, and part three fit into part four...nodding in understanding, she took the gun back once Ginnie had put it back together.

First she dropped the magazine again, and set it aside, then she depressed and held the spring-loaded slide release button. Retracting the slide a half inch to clear the extractor from the chamber, she lifted lifted the slide up 1" at the rear to clear the barrel. Moving the slide forward along the length of the barrel, Shay removed it from the frame assembly, and the recoil spring assembly fell clear of the frame at that point.

"Easy peasy!" She smiled back at Ginnie once the pieces were laying on the towel in the shape of the gun.

"Not too difficult considering there really aren't many pieces to worry with."

Picking up each piece individually, Shay examined it to understand how it worked.

"How often do I clean it, and with what?" She assumed she probably would clean it after every series of uses, but then wasn't sure if that might be too often. Maybe after every one hundred shots or something...though that could be hard to keep track of. Maybe there was a rule of thumb...

Without instruction, Shay reassembled the gun and waited for the next step.
Ginnie 17 years ago
"Well done. Guns are simple for a reason." She grinned at Shay. "You clean them as often as you want. A good rule of thumb is to clean it at least once a month or if you've fired it a lot. Like after today you'll want to clean them, also after you've used them out of doors more than once. We'll get you cleaning kits while we're out today. The Clan provides them, but I have a personal preference for a different kind." She gave Shay a wink and moved the handgun out of the way.

"Get out the little pistol and see if you can figure out how to disassemble it."
Shay 17 years ago
And again Shay nodded, understanding the tutelage she was receiving, not surprised to think it all sounded as familiar to her as if Ginnie were telling Shay how to wash her hair. It wasn't that she remembered these things, but more like they were just a part of her, the knowledge having been implanted the way her ability to walk and talk was.

Taking the Smith and Wesson from the bag, she saw that it was much like the Glock, and disassembled it in the same way. Inspecting the pieces as she had done the Glock, Shay then returned them to their original places, and the reassembled gun was handed to Ginnie.

Grinning as if she'd swallowed the canary, Shay looked at Ginnie with anticipation...hoping her mom would be proud of her abilities.
Ginnie 17 years ago
Ginnie took the gun and gave it a brief inspection. It was more for show than necessity. "Very nicely done."

She had to swallow the stupid looking grin of pride before she could move on. It was heart-swelling to know her daughter could care for herself, with just a little reminding from her.

"Ok now the rifle is more difficult. There are more mechanisms and they are bigger. The rifle you have is a semi-automatic sniper rifle. It is not a hunting or field rifle and should never be used as such. It is my estimation that you will have rare use for it, but every Tach has one assigned to him or her, and most like to keep even their rarely used weapons with them, some keep them in my vault."

She made a give it here gesture when Shay had pulled the weapon from the duffle. "If you choose to keep it with you then you need to know how to assemble and disassemble it."

She released the clip, and set it on the white towel. "This is based on the U S Army M21 I've modified the design just a little, but it is still pretty standard and of course black instead of camo. the semi-auto is known to spew casing all over the place, I've modified the design to keep that from happening. The most a CSI will find at your shoot sight is GSR."

She grinned and quickly disassembled the weapon. Then just as efficiently reassembled it, then handed it to Shay to do the same. When the rifle was returned to her she gave a nod and set it aside. "I'll show you how to sight it both standing and in a sniper stand. Now let's take out your knives."
Shay 17 years ago
Returning the grin, Shay gave Ginnie a very quick, short bow, in response to her compliment.

"Thank you."

So far Shay had found she could drive a car, pleasure a woman, and handle a hand gun with skill. There were also other more mundane tasks she could accomplish as well, but those three things she apparently had an innate ability with, as they required very little instruction for her to do, and probably should have.

That feeling of knowledge and comfort disappeared the minute she pulled the rifle from the bag and handed it to Ginnie. Now she had crossed over into territory that must have been completely uncharted, because holding the rifle was as foreign to Shay as say...trying to do brain surgery.

"I'm thinking, from my gut reaction, I'll probably not be using one of these often...that is unless it becomes imperative that I do so."

The gun was much too large to just carry around, and right now Shay was all about the clandestine aspects of her new training. Concealed weapons, the element of surprise, all the surreptitious things she imagined were possible held the appeal for Shay. And yet if she were called to, she wanted to be able to do what was necessary, so she paid as much attention to Ginnie's demonstration now, as she had previously.

"Whoa...CSI...GSR...what do they mean?"

Feeling at ease around the weapons was one thing, but Shay had no idea what Ginnie was now referring to.

Disassembling and reassembling the rifle was done considerably slower than Shay had done with the pistols, but she felt the extra time she took examining everything was necessary. She wasn't at all disappointed to put the rifle aside though, and reach back into the bag to retrieve the knives. This was another area that Shay didn't feel any immediate kinship to, but she was still excited. Again, the fact that knives could be used quietly, and discreetly seemed to provide Shay with a thrill the rifle had not.

Laying the knives on the towel, Shay waited patiently for the next phase of her training.
Ginnie 17 years ago
"Oh sorry. It's sometimes easy to forget you don't know everything as soon as I mention it. CSI means Crime Scene Investigator, and GSR means gun shot residue. Every time you shoot a gun residue from the gun powder lands on hands and clothing. It is one of the best ways to tell if some one may have been involved with a crime since it is very easy to detect, however it is impossible to trace to a specific gun, as yet."

She offered Shay a smile and pulled the knives from the leather sheaths they were stored in. She'd ordered black sheaths for Shay, so the brown leather would do for now.

"Knife safety is really easy. Don't touch the pointy part." She grinned mischievously, and handed the knife hilt first to Shay.

"If you get blood on it, wipe it immediately before sheathing it. When you get home clean it as soon as possible, do not let blood or anything else sit on the knife for longer than is necessary. If you get any substance in the sheath clean it as soon as possible so that it doesn't corrode the blade. That's pretty much it.

So let's get you belted and holstered and you can knock off a few rounds on the hand guns and move down the range to give the knives a few throws."
Alec Devereaux 17 years ago
Stepping silently into the shooting range, he made his way back to the area where he heard Ginnie and Shay speaking. There were a couple of people around, but a simple thought prevented them from acknowledging his presence. Passing within a few feet of one of the new trainees, he observed their shooting, which had improved significantly since he'd passed them off to another trainer. Turning the corner, he followed the lovely voice to its source, pausing away from the pair. Leaning against the wall, he smiled at the pride and enthusiasm before him. Watching their interaction continue, he let his mind relax. He was just outside of Shay's periphery. If she was perceptive, she would likely notice the anomaly immediately. If not, she'd take a moment or three, depending on how sharp she'd been in life.

Not the preferred method of testing for perception, but certainly effective.
Shay 17 years ago
Fortunate for her, Shay seemed to have a great deal of common sense, and handling the knives was no difficulty. The things Ginnie passed along as maintenance for the knives was also pretty logical, but Shay merely nodded, and smiled.

Until Alec joined them, and then she let out a squeal of delight.

"Alec?!"

Bouncing up on her toes, Shay looked around for her 'father'. How she knew he was there didn't concern her, nor did she question it...she just knew he was there, and hoped he'd show her how to do a little shady knife throwing.

Looking about, Shay's brow furrowed.

"Well damnit, I know he's here..."

Giving Ginnie a look of confusion, Shay started moving in the direction she 'felt' her father to be in.