The maw of insanity

Mosi had been shocked when his contact with the Vurma sent him to a mental institute. While he could see some benefits, the idea of living inside a cage chilled him. A man made cage at that. With a sudder of disgust he continued walking. The bus trip from his corner of the outskirts to this one had been blessedly short. Walking the few miles from the last stop to here was easy. Even if his coat did flap in the cold October wind and his ears ached from the cold and the weight of the useless hat he had donned earlier.

It was a shame really his generation scorned the long hair and beards of his ancestors. It might be usefull in a time like now. Upon entering the lobby, Mosi stopped to look around, feeling like a tourist.

Shaking his head he ventured forward hoping to find someone.

Mosi 17 years ago
Mosi realized he probably looked more like an escaped mental patient as he stopped to stand around gaping at the lobby decor. Sure the sun shining in was great, but the beams did not resemble trees and pictures in black and white disturbed him deeply. It was how the mulo, spirits of the dead, saw. In that bereft of color world. That was always what his mother had told him.

Shuddering at the thought he wished for a tiny bit of quartz to leave out by the door. Something to gift the spirits with so they would move on appeased. Pulling his coat tightly around himself he pulled the offending hat from his head and moved forward once more.

There was a desk with woman behind it and he went up to her greatfully for the contact in such a disturbing structure. Willing his voice to be strong and not show any of his misgivings he spoke quietly and clearly to her.

"Good morning. I am Mosi from Kumpania Prabhat in Australia. The vurma gave me this location."
Loretta Emiliano 17 years ago
Why was this worthless piece of junk not working? Loretta picked up the mouse and rattled it viciously, annoyed and frustrated two minutes into an attempt to make a quick copy of a database. She had grown restless and wanted to work outside, but for some mysterious reason she was unable to access the network with her laptop in her chosen location. And so, she had stopped at the first available machine to put another copy on her hard drive.

Giving the mouse one last rattle, she flung it down on the pad and tried to make the cursor move. When that failed to elicit a response, she finally picked up the phone, calling for Tobi.

Hmmph. Where –was- that boy?

She shook her head, her features softening into fondness. Probably hard at work organizing the backup tapes he had mentioned earlier. Too busy to help his mother hand and foot as he used to. Her expression darkened a little as she reflected that his absence might also be explained by the fact that he had moved into a separate ward, with Octavia. She had not been happy about that arrangement but what could she say against it without looking like an overbearing mother who dreaded the idea of not having her son’s presence in her home?

Sighing, she picked up the mouse and began tugging, with slightly more care, on the cord, trying to follow it back to its source. Her blonde head was thus ducked low behind the desk when she heard footsteps, but she found where the mouse plugged in and shoved it firmly into place before pulling up again.

Hmm, no one she recognized, though she wasn’t quite as good with faces as Thanos. She was, however, sure she had never met this man when he introduced himself. She was –very- good with names.

“Well thank the gods something is working as it should!” She said, with surprising good humor. Vyusher could –always- find their way home, technology or no, and this was yet another reason to feel superior to those that depended on machines to manage their lives. She gave a wave of the mouse and scowled a little when the cursor did not move, apparently not yet willing to succumb to her reasoning.

She stood to her full height and stepped around the desk, grateful for the excuse to get away from the computer.
“Welcome home, Mosi of Prabhat. I am Loretta Emiliano.”

There was no need to add that she was Savia – Mosi was clearly paterna and any Son would know her name, along with the meaning behind her question. “How was your journey?”

She was not asking merely to be polite – if he brought news, if he encountered difficulties, if he was merely looking for respite, she genuinely wanted to know.
Mosi 17 years ago
The woman was fussing with her computer. Mosi knew exactly how that felt. To be thwarted by the damned technology was frustrating and agravating. He sincerely hoped she would not ask him to help her. As she stood and walked around the desk introducing herself he realized that she was the current Savia.

With a large smile he felt in his inner coat pocket for the small gifts he had brought the leaders. Pulling the natural leather pouch from his pocket he offered it to her with his head slightly bowed.

"Greetings Savia from Prabhat. We send good news of an expanding pack by three strong children this year and twins expected later. Our sacred ground may be secure but the city of Esperance is growing which causes some small difficulty at times but nothing my Grandfather cannot handle. Jarrah sends the best we have to offer not only in gifts but myself for the duration."

Being outback probably gave him different customs from the Rom but he hoped she understood the deference being paid to her. His gift to the Alpha was much more than just a simple quartz of brilliantly
clear purple worked with gold filligree pendant but this was the second best work he had ever made and had been deemed a proper gift by his grandfather.
Loretta gladly accepted the leather pouch but made no move to open it just yet, instead electing to listen to Mosi’s report. She smiled at the mention of children first and foremost – they were, after all, the future of the pack, and it was pleasing that this man would give them priority. The vague mention of difficulties with expansion was slightly concerning but it seemed at this point Kumpania Prabhat was not formally asking for assistance.

Her smile returned in full force at Mosi’s last statement. It was good to hear that the call to send their brightest to Nachton had been heard even in such distant places, but then that was their way.

“Such good tidings! Twins, you say? Prabhat will be blessed, then.” She privately hoped that his absence would not cause his kumpania undue grief but it would be inappropriate to say as much – after all, he was doing what was expected of him and to question that would lessen the deed. “Your Grandfather is wise indeed, then.”

With that she carefully opened the bag and gasped a little at the glint of gold inside. Delighted, she pulled the pendant all the way out and held it up in the light, beaming at the sparkles in the prismatic glassy stone.

Loretta –loved- getting presents and this was a particularly nice one. Yes, Mosi was definitely a keeper – respectful toward his family and ready to serve the pack.

She put the necklace on immediately, fluffing out her hair behind her to keep it from getting caught in the chain.

“I have never seen it’s equal,” she beamed, letting it catch the light a moment longer before allowing it to fall neatly below her collarbone. The stone was a pretty color that went nicely with her coloring and there was something subtle and unique about the piece that appealed to her.

Eventually, however, she turned serious, looking to Mosi with an almost maternal expression.
“You’ll be staying here, yes?” Brushing off her own question, she continued on. “You should walk with me, so we can discuss your arrangements.”

She was curious to hear what else Mosi had to offer the Vyusher R’asa in Nachton, assuming he had a specific purpose for relocating that went beyond their general need for resourceful, intelligent people. Perhaps he hoped to serve a term in the Legion? Well, she imagined the answers would come.
Mosi 17 years ago
"Thank you. We have not been blessed with twins since my sister had hers. It is cause for quite a bit of celebration."

Mosi was always more than willing to discuss his kumpania with the pack. While they may not be the main branch of the R'asa, he still felt a swell of pride. Someday, the duty may fall to him to lead the Clachans in Esperance but even just the joy of being Son to such a group made him proud.

As she discovered her gift, Mosi chewed on his lip slightly. It was a bold piece and he could only hope that if the style did not suit her, the sentiment did. At her exclaimation he felt relief and smiled widely.

"I am glad it pleases you. Though if it had not, I would be more than honored to make something else more your style."

Ready to follow the Savia wherever she wished to take him, he nodded at her statement.

"Please do lead on. My grandfather arranged for me to study at the University for the good of our Kumpania as well as a small house near there. But on weekends and special nights I would be honored to share space here if that is acceptable."

Deciding at the last minute to leave off his disdain at modern living, Mosi put both hands in his coat pockets and slouched slightly. The deferential stature was second nature to him in the presence of a higher ranking wolf and so much better than peeing on the floor. With quick concise words he disclosed his families plan for him.

"Since my family has been trying to regain the lands we find ourselves in need of better skills in today's world. My father has encouraged my art but my grandfather needs my skills in business. If we can make a bit more money to fight or buy the lands it is a good thing. My cousin Alu is studying in Perth to be a lawyer to aid the cause. But that is a minor battle compared to the R'asa's needs. And I am eager to lend my skills as hunter, protector or guard towards our fight."
Loretta gave Mosi an appraising look when he admitted to crafting the piece himself, her curiosity roused. “You are quite talented, then. I am lucky to have an original and wouldn’t dream of trading it.”

Finding she was relieved at the prospect of heading outside, she led the way when Mosi agreed, exiting out the back door to the garden pathways. The gardens were no longer quite the perversion of nature that it had started out as – while plants were still contained she was pleased to see that the hedges had been allowed to form a more natural shape than the boxy squares they had been on arrival. She headed south, thinking it appropriate for Mosi to see the Andre tree at the very least, and listened as Mosi explained his purpose here.

At the mention of the University Loretta frowned slightly, though she said nothing about that for the moment. She was not opposed to education – in fact she had a fine one herself – but those human institutions of higher learning were another matter. It would be all too easy to lose one’s self to what in her opinion amounted to attempted brainwashing, but Vyusher were strong and would not easily succumb to other’s ideals. Still, Mosi would need the support of his pack, perhaps more than he knew.

“We would be delighted to have you stay as much as you’d like, though of course your studies are important and it seems practical to have a place near the school.” To explain, she gestured back to the building. “We’ve attempted to set up living arrangements that are more in keeping with our accustomed way of life…though obviously this isn’t quite the same as more open living.” She sighed a little at that, but went on with no other indication of missing the more nomadic lifestyle she was accustomed to. “The different wards in the hospital serve as comfortable homes for a Kumpania and we’ve found that we are grouping ourselves according to our similarities. You’ll get to know who is where surprisingly quickly.”

Mosi explained the reasoning behind his education and it was hard not to feel a pang of sadness, though she hid it well. This young man was everything one could ask for in a Son – obedient and respectful and clever – and ironically it was those very qualities that forced him to devote himself to this fight.

The things we do to our children, she thought. They would bear the brunt of this far more than her own generation, in a way, and they didn’t even realize it. She could remember a time when she had thought no further than the next campfire – had Mosi ever had that luxury, brought up in the shadow of conflicts decided by his elders?

And yet, she knew that wasn’t a terrible thing at all. She cursed her own sensibilities, the soft hearted part of her no one ever saw, and spoke her true feelings rather than her foolish initial reactions.

“You are a true credit to Vyusher R’asa and your goal is a worthy one.” She paused in her walking and turned to meet his eyes. “We will have use of you, have no doubt of that, but we will take your studies into consideration.”
It would not do to insist that every individual who came to support the pack in Nachton do so every hour of the day and she hoped her message was clear – they did not want service at the expense of the kumpanias who were the heart and soul of the pack. Such endeavors toward self sufficiency and enterprise should be encouraged.

Nodding firmly she continued on, rounding the corner and heading down a slight slope to the small roundabout where the Andre tree was planted, speaking over her shoulder.

“Tell me more about these skills.”
Mosi 17 years ago
More than obediant to follow his Savia, Mosi was almost giddy when she took them outdoors. The plantings had the look of landscaping but was reverting to natural as time and proper care gave them life. He took a deep breath and allowed himself a smile at her vehemence about keeping the pendant.

The easy explaination of how housing was set up here had him nodding. Such effiency was admired even if he had no desire to partake in a room covered in bars. He wondered if they had a spot set aside for those like him, prone to forego the current technology in exchange for a more natural setting. Personal likes aside, Mosi was sure he could find out who was where simply by paying attention.

The kind words humbled Mosi.
"Thank you Savia. I am honored you think of me as a credit to the R'asa. I shall strive to fullfill all my duties to the best of my abilities."

Finding himself walking downhill, he concentrated on his footing. The question of skills was standard and he found himself more than willing to share with the leader in front of him all that he could do.

"I am skilled in the culteral old ways of the Indigenous Austrailians; with a spear, knives, throwing weapons, dart guns and slingshots. Not very handy against today's firearms but easier to bring into secure places. Along those same lines my father taught me to work metal and quartz in the traditional manner as his grandfather taught him. I am a Protector with keen Insight regarding strengths and weaknesses. The fact that I never give up and push myself to excell is why I am here to study. From my generation, I was the only one to show any aptitude for business along with the other useful abilities."

Mosi wished he had not mentioned the crafting now, somehow it did not seem to fit into the 'useful abilities' category. While he was proud of his skills he doubted that the R'asa would find it anything more than a way to pass in the human world.
Loretta smiled slightly when she reached the Andre tree, pausing to reach up and lightly brush her fingers against some low hanging red leaves. Her scarf was still tied to one branch and she could see that others had dropped off little trinkets as well. She recognized an Anarchy keychain as Tobi’s and frowned slightly. A little jade pendant might have belonged to Thanos at one point.

She listened with interest as Mosi explained the multitude of ways he could, as the saying went, skin a cat. For some reason the idea of dart guns in particular appealed to her – there was something elegant about it, not to mention low profile.

“Useful indeed. If your crafting is indicative of the quality and effort you put into your other endeavors…”

She trailed off as she continued down the walkway, circling the tree and turning onto another path that led back toward the center walkway. After a moment’s thought, she voiced her thoughts aloud.

“The Highway could certainly put an individual of your skills to use. And as the Sarkis and I have both become somewhat more high profile as of late, we could use the company of someone…” she grinned, a sly little smile. “talented. Rest assured, I will keep you in mind.” That much was certainly true – Loretta had an uncanny way of remembering people when they were useful to her.
Mosi 17 years ago
"Thank you Savia."

Her belief in his skills was gratifying but also pushed him to excel to meet and exceed all her expectations. Mosi was confident she would point him in the right direction to further the good of the R'asa.

As he viewed the tree he could tell the heartfelt feeling people had in the gifts they left draped upon its limbs. Pulling his hands from the depths of his coat pockets he reached into an inner one and removed several pieces of cut quartz. As they walked around the tree he placed one at each points of the compass, near the base of the trunk. Briefly he laid his hand upon the tree before following again.

At the continued compliments and promise of remembering his skills, Mosi blushed. He was just a pup really, compared to the wisdom of the leaders.

"I am truely honored."

Their walk continued for a bit and Mosi enjoyed getting a feel for the place. Still he hoped they had some sort of rustic spot for primitives like himself. Looking around he questioned lightly.

"Is there any place not quite so, modern here? I would prefer that setting though if nothing is available I am sure anything you deem will be fine. And can I join the Legion here? Even in my limited capacity?"
It was pleasing to see Mosi following in the tradition, though Loretta did not pay close attention to what Mosi left behind, as that would in her mind defeat the purpose of trying to guess later. She paused in her walking at Mosi's question and abruptly turned left onto the main path. Rather than heading homeward, she led them further out onto the grounds.

“I believe we may have just the thing. This way.”

She mulled over Mosi's second question while they walked, deciding that her answer wouldn't effect their destination for now.

“The Legion boards together in the western wing of the main building – you should be able to speak to a recruiter over there. I would warn you though, that joining the Legion is a significant commitment. Your fellow soldiers will become a second family to you and the Legion's goals will become your goals. You would be expected to put The Mighty Army's needs first.” She paused to let that take effect. “I would advise you to think carefully before making your decision. I imagine they would be able to accommodate your needs...or rather they would make your needs accommodate them...but I can guarantee that it would not be an easy road.”

She smiled gently and pushed away a branch that hung low over the path. They were out of the garden now but not quite in the forest proper – still, there was a scattering of trees along the way.

Mosi would do well in the Legion, though she had to admit she was surprised that he was interesting in that additional undertaking. Latzu would make good use of him and where ever else Mosi decided to devote his talents, military service would benefit him

Stopping just before they found themselves surrounded by trees, she gestured on ahead.

“If you continue down this path you will find a large area that is completely devoid of trees. This is our meeting hall. There is a black birch on the eastern border of the mall, and on that birch there is a trail marker. The trail leads to a group of cabins that should serve your purposes.”

Turning, she gave Mosi a final nod.

“It was good to meet you, Mosi. Do let me know what you decide; I'll leave you to find your way.”

She knew if she went into the woods right now she would become utterly distracted and there was work to be done. She did, however, turn to speak over her shoulder before taking her leave.

“And if you ever wish to learn to use a firearm...speak to me.”

A smile crept over her face as she spoke; Loretta was an excellent shot.

/ooc Loretta out pending response
Mosi 17 years ago
Following the Savia he listened carefully as she explained things. Mosi was only confused for a moment until she explained the Legion to him. Back home it worked as a commitment that only called upon the members as needed. It stood to reason though that the main Legion of the R'asa would require more commitment. That was something he would need to think on long and hard since he could not devote the rest of his life to it.

When they stopped in the trees and she gave him further directions he thanked her quietly.
"Thank you Savia. I shall find it easily thanks to your description. When I have spoken to my Kumpania and reached my decision I shall let you know first. Thank you."

He watched her walk away pondering her offer to teach him firearms. While he frowned upon such things, today's world seemed to necessitate them. Perhaps he would learn while here. Following the path into the woods he ventured towards his small portion of space within the pack.

(thank you, Mosi out pending responses)