The Nesting Instinct...(attn: Ezekiel, Nikhila)

Xeph wasn't big on tours, usually, but it wasn't hard for him to display his pride in the Kadzait's new Den. A quick stop at the front desk as they entered was enough for him to verify by eye which apartments were taken already and which were free, and with Ezekiel and Nikhila in tow he headed on in, letting them poke and prod and wander as it suited them, in no particular hurry to shove them into their new homes.

Every one of the suites opened into a common hallway, rather than directly to the outside, making it easier to show them both what was available. Xeph took a moment to indicate Hammer's quarters as well as his own so his Packmates would be able to find him if the need arose.

Behind the Den lay the Long Run, the acres and acres of fenced-in woodland that had made this plot such a valuable commodity. It was, next to the Hall of Echoes, Xeph's favorite detail about the place, and one of the things he talked easily about as they made their way from suite to suite.

((ooc: Feel free to drag Xeph from place to place and to poke around as you see fit. He's pretty easygoing and perfectly content to let his new arrivals sniff things out for themselves.))

Ezekiel 17 years ago
With saddle bags slung over his shoulder and carrying a battered metal trunk, Ezekiel followed Xeph as he explained the Den and the Long Run. That was a nice addition having the Long Run next to the Den, and would make it easier for Ezekiel to go out pacing when the need took him.

He took careful note of the Alpha and Beta lodging's and wondered where he should lay his bags. Ordinarily Ezekiel was comfortable enough sleeping in his rig with the extended sleeper cab. But this was Family and in a Walton's kind of way, it made sense to have a room with the rest of his kinsfolk.

"Hey Xeph, ya got anything for us bigger people's? A bed and a place to wash up is all I need."
Nikhila 17 years ago
He really had done quite well. The Hall of Echoes had made quite an impression and seeing the grounds, which were not only huge but fenced and beautiful and the Den was equally impressive. She wanted to voice her pride, her congratulations but not knowing Ezekiel at all well Nikhila kept her thoughts to herself. The sight of the grounds made her want to run. Perhaps she should leave the gentlemen to themselves rather than get in the way.

Exploring the den and seeing that it wasn’t yet full the greedy part of Nikhila’s nature wanted to claim a good room. She had, in fact, fallen in love with the skylights. They provided a sense of openness that was frequently missing her rooms one room in particular she presumed would look out on the grounds. Nikhila refused, however, to let herself covet it.

“Do you need some help with your things?”

She offered Ezekiel. That seemed a better topic and course of action. Once they got him settled she could go for a run with a clear consciences.
Ezekiel 17 years ago
Ezekiel grinned.

"Ain't that much of a problem, Miss Nikhila. Saddle bags on my shoulders carries my personable stuff and the battered trunk here is stuffed full of clothing. I got's my knife, bow, shotgun and rifle locked securely in ole Lambchop Express. I reckon it ain't too polite to bring weapons inside, ya know what I'm saying."

Ezekiel lifted the metal trunk higher as if to show Nikhila that it wasn't as heavy as she supposed. Still, the offer was appreciated.

"Frankly, I'm not much of an indoors type. I'm just glad this here place has got lots of room to stomp around in out back. And ya can't beat the wilderness for all kinds of interesting sights and smells when you need get to go walkabout."
Xeph 17 years ago
Xeph flashed a grin at Ezekiel and took off down the hallway, glad for once not to have to curb his strides to accomodate smaller folks; both Nikhila and Ezekiel could definitely keep up.

"Plenty for taller folks," he replied. "One suite in particular I know hasn't been taken. You should like it."

Perhaps that statement was a bit presumptuous of him, but Xeph's particular brand of insight gave him the upper hand in these matters and he used it often, even if he didn't always act on it.

The particular apartment he had in mind was on the bottom floor, at the end of the hallway, close to the exit out into the Long Run. Close to the section of the lot where Ezekiel's rig would be accessible and out of the way of the smaller passenger cars as well. It used only slightly less floor space than the other suites, all of them being fairly similar in square footage, but it was simply constructed. One spacious room was a combination living room/dining room with a small kitchen in the back corner. One enormous master bedroom adjoined it, complete with a large walk-in closet and full bath.

Simple, perfect for 'the big guy' and close to the outdoors. It was a suite Xeph wouldn't have minded for his own use had not the vast number of skylights in the upper apartment fascinated him more. Hopefully it would suit Ezekiel just as well. Opening the front door with the master key he held (all the unoccupied suites had similar master locks, to be changed once occupied), Xeph gestured for Ezekiel to precede them in, then stood leaning against the doorframe while the man inspected the inside.
Ezekiel 17 years ago
Ezekiel whistled in astonishment.

"
Sweet mother of God. I reckon a man could live like a king in a place this big."

He hadn't expected a room this big, and through the windows he could see the blue and silver shine of his beloved Lampchop Express. Most excellent.

"You know Xeph. I think you're right. A fella like me could get used to a place like this."

Ezekiel put down his trunk and saddlebags and almost ran around the place like a kid in a candy store.

"Suits me fine. So... what time's dinner and breakfast?" Ezekiel grinned widely.
Nikhila 17 years ago
Another wanderer it seemed. And that was as it should be, wandering was part of who her family was and it was always good to be reminded she wasn’t the only one who couldn’t seem to stay tied down. However, she frowned slightly, unconsciously, at the mention of weapons. She accepted her nature, and others of the Pack, that they could be come violent while in their alternate form. That should be accepted and even embraced there was a certain balance there. When they were men she found it more incomprehensible and certainly couldn’t condone it, although she would never condemn it.

“I would agree with you, I’ve never cared to stay long in large cities. Not without good reason.”

She smiled quietly at Xeph when he introduced Ezekiel to a potential set of rooms. Nikhila had almost forgotten their Alpha had a certain knack for knowing what might suite a person best.

The smile turned to a soft giggle when Ezekiel asked after food.

“When ever you should wish I imagine, providing you can cook.”

The idea of communal meals was something she wouldn’t rule out and they did have a certain appeal. But there was a kitchen in this suite and the others too she presumed.
Xeph 17 years ago
Xeph nodded with satisfaction at Ezekiel's approval of (and obvious happiness with) the modest suite. He smiled across the doorway at Nikhila as well, offering his usual carefree grin.

"Every apartment has a kitchen, small and simple like this, or in some cases larger. I really did give the designers free rein. But for those who aren't exactly Betty Crocker we do have breakfast and dinner. It's small, but not exactly stingy."

Xeph had made it a point to hire a small team of chefs; the Den was, as a point of fact, a fully functioning school, after all. There were and would continue to be, hopefully, Kadzait from around the world attending. Anyone who lived there, however, was welcome to make use of the facilities and that meant the chefs as well.

"They're set up to provide breakfast from six to nine in the mornings and again from six to ten at night. Lunch, you're on your own."

Checking his watch out of habit, Xeph added, "If you have any special dietary needs, let the kitchen staff know. If they can deal with me, they can deal with anything."

He wasn't above availing himself of his own facilities. Xeph's tastes were particular and specific, and not unique to himself... and the kitchen staff, who consisted of three Illamar and two Amaroq, were damn good at making an impressively wide variety of foods.
Ezekiel 17 years ago
"Well I'm certainly no Betty Crocker. And I'm more of an Atkin's fan myself." Ezekiel grinned.

"Dietary needs. Easy on the green stuff, pile on the red stuff and I'll never say no to dried meat morning, noon or night."

Ezekiel strolled back over to Xeph and Nikhila.

"I always was a meat person, but since the change that's increased a lot. I can take your fruits and vegetables, and your processed foods if I have to, but I'm not to fussed on it."
Nikhila 17 years ago
Nikhila flushed slightly. A former vegetarian she still on occasion found her new diet rather odd. Not offensive or distasteful just odd, although having Xeph as Aipa she’d gotten used to eating meat quickly. She’d also accepted her own cravings, especially around the full moon.

“That is an excellent idea. Is there much turn out for meals?”

She’d very much like to meet any others who were calling Nachton home, even just for a few days.

Once classes were in full swing she didn’t doubt meals would be a popular gathering spot. It seemed students and food often went together. Which reminded her she needed to speak to Xeph about his plans. Not here and now, it would be rude, but soon.
Xeph 17 years ago
Xeph liked Ezekiel right off the bat. The guy seemed pretty up front and honest. "Plenty of meat-eaters around here," he said with a lift of his shoulders. "The staff are all family, as well, so I don't really think anything you ask for is going to surprise them too much."

Turning to Nikhila, he answered her question next. "Big enough turnout so far. I'm not much of a cook myself." Nikhila knew that, but Ezekiel sure didn't. "So you can find me there most mealtimes."

Not to mention it was a nice casual setting. Sometimes he found the younger members of the pack were more likely to approach him when he was kicked back with his feet up on the chair next to him, scarfing a raw steak, than they were to knock on either his apartment door or his office.

"So, this suit you Ezekiel? We can get your locks set up tonight if it does, and just like that you've got a place to call home. Now we;ve only got one more wanderer to settle in."

He raised his eyebrows over his mismatched eyes at Nikhila, waiting to hear if she'd seen anything she liked thus far. The potentials for her answers were interesting indeed.
Ezekiel 17 years ago
Ezekiel nodded in complete agreement.

"
Fine by me boss. And I reckon I'll probably join you at mealtimes. I kinda like the idea of eating with kin. Beats a burger, coke and fries on your own anytime."

Ezekiel was impressed by what he seen so far. Far different than living it rough or on the road.

"And if ya got any jobs around here that need filling, I'd be glad to pitch in. I'm a fine tracker and hunter if I don't say so myself, I can handle a knife, shotgun, rifle or bow pretty well and even carve pretty little wooden animals in my spare time."

Ezekiel grinned.

"The Corps made me a grease monkey, I can tinker and fix those troublesome mechanical problems you got and if you want some good ole fashioned hard labouring, Master Sergeant Caine is your man."

Ezekiel saluted, and smiled.

"Course I'd like a Health and Dental plan first."
Nikhila 17 years ago
The look on Xeph’s face came close to her own response. She’d seen something she’d liked but the location was… Nikhila never presumed anything and was even less inclined to do so in his presence. The light, however, had been too much to resist and after a moments pause, weighing her words Nikhila found what she thought was an appropriate answer.

“The sky lights on the top floor were quite lovely if there was a room there.”

She hoped that hadn’t been too presumptuous. Even though none of the rooms they had seen had been cramped, the openness of those rooms would make her much more comfortable. One might even be able to keep a few plants there with the extra light.
Iov Hammerthynn 17 years ago
Eating. Together. Hammerthynn shuddered slightly as he approached the group of new members and Xeph. As their Alpha, Xeph had the pleasure of meeting the new ones, as the Beta, Hammer just tried to stay hidden in his quarters if not out in the long run, which was where he was coming from. Recent events had forced him to take some frustrations out and he was feeling much better.

With a slow, deep breath, Hammer stopped next to Xeph and nodded to the male and female standing with him. The female he recognized as one of Xeph's prodigies. Hammer looked her up and down - he didn't quite understand female children, although strong and useful for the pack, he was a chauvinist at heart.

He cleared his throat and gave them his most appropriate greeting - which was actually an expressionless look and a slight glare with his good eye.
Xeph 17 years ago
Any response Xeph might have given immediately to either Ezekiel or Nikhila was cut short as his Beta slithered out from under whatever rock he'd been hiding. Without batting an eyelash Xeph said, as if guiding a tour, "And over here we have the stoic Kadzait Beta, Iov Hammerthynn. We're looking into getting some better decorations, but our interior decorator was fresh out of college and we took pity on her."

Smiling brilliantly at Hammer Xeph gestured to the two new arrivals. "Hammerthynn, this is Ezekiel Caine. He'll be staying in this suite; we're going to get him his keys now as a matter of fact. And I daresay you recognize Nikhila Gounder."

Nikhila's face was hardly going to be easily forgotten by the Beta. Xeph had only ever Gifted two people in his lifetime. One was now deceased, and the other was Nikhila.

"I believe she's requested something with some skylights." He turned the charming smile to Nikhila. "I'm sure we can find something to suit."
Ezekiel 17 years ago
There were definitely some tall kinfolk down here in Nachton, Ezekiel thought to himself. At least he wasn't going to feel out of place.

Ezekiel strode over to Iov and offered a calloused right hand to tall, muscular Beta. It was the decent thing to do after all.

"Pleased to meet you Iov."
He grunted at Xeph's description of him. Always the comedian. He regarded Caine's hand solemnly and then looked at Xeph. He reached out and grunted a polite greeting. 'Hammer - please.' Hammer and learned to control his agitation to personal touch, but it still displeased him and he knew Xeph loved it. He shook the equally tall man's hand and then looked over at the female.

'Nikhila, of course. A pleasure.' Whether he actually meant it or not could not be deciphered by the expression, or lack thereof, on his face. In any case, he tucked his hands behind his back and gave her a slight bow.

'You can't have skylights. I wanted skylights, but Lord Xeph required my presence across the hall from him.' He blinked slowly, his way of being funny that she would hopefully remember. 'I'm sure we can find something. Tear a few walls here and there, tear out the ceiling.'
Nikhila 17 years ago
She hadn't been expecting Hammer's arrival and almost took a step back, but managed to catch herself. Instead she stood quietly and let Xeph conduct introductions. She forced herself to remain serious rather than smiling at his humor and only nodded solemnly.

"Thank you. Lovely to see you again as well."Â?

The humor of both the Alpha and the Beta was something she'd almost forgotten. Although from the expression on Xeph's face it was a bit of a surprise to him too. Perhaps it had been a bit unexpected and slightly over the top; 'Lord Xeph?'.

She politely returned Hammer's bow giving him a decent amount of space.

"I shouldn't want to cause too much trouble perhaps just a small hole in the ceiling rather than removing a large portion of it could be arranged. I would be happy to help interview contractors if you would like."Â?

Her own humor tended to the quiet and understated. She could only hope she'd understood Hammer's little joke correctly and hadn't just said something out of line.

((OOC... permission for Xeph's reaction))
Xeph 17 years ago
Xeph raised his eyebrows at Hammer. Apparently he was in a jovial mood. He didn't poke fun at Xeph with a title unless he was in high spirits.

There was a slight twitch when Ezekiel called the man Iov. Xeph supposed he was simply used to hearing 'Hammer' (Hamster, Hambone, Hamhock... stop it Xeph).

"Well if no one's opposed to a walk," Xeph nodded his head to ezekiel and Hammer, "we could accompany Nikhila to some of the suites that already have skylights in them. I do like the job the architects did, so if we can avoid people randomly knocking holes in our ceilings that might be for the best. And if we can find something to her liking, we can kill two birds with one boomerang and get both your keys at once."

Xeph led the way to the stairs, waiting till he'd turned away from Hammer to mutter, "Gotta do something about that interior decorator though. New line of work, maybe... something a little less... Picasso."
Ezekiel 17 years ago
Ezekiel closed the door to his new room behind him and followed on after the trio. The Alpha and the Beta, at least he wouldn't have any problem telling them apart.

He wondered about the names though Hammer... Xeph. Ezekiel pondered the possiblity of adopting a cooler sounding name. His Dad had been a Church-going, God-fearing man who had named Ezekiel after two bibilical figures.

Ezekiel considered calling himself Zed or Zeke, then decided against it. Just because he looked the part, he wasn't going to act it.

Shaking his head in mock frustration, Ezekiel laughed softly and followed after the others.
Hammerthynn cracked his neck to the side, trying to relieve the stress of socializing that was already building up as they progressed with the tour. He'd stand officially next to Xeph, occassionally...breathe loudly maybe...then be on his way. Group tours just wasn't his style but he had to meet the new ones.

((ooc - I'm so sorry I missed that it was my turn. Hammer's just watching anyway, didn't think it would be needed. ))