A New Scene (Private)

"Not a chance."

Kem had his arms crossed over his chest, eyes squeezed closed. He was afraid to open them for fear that that awful getup would still be there.

He cracked one silver orb... yes, still there.

"I'm not sure I even want to know where you got that from."

They were standing in his living room, and Aishe was proudly gesturing at the outfit she'd assembled for him to wear to her friend's party. Whose party? He wasn't sure, but he was apparently supposed to attend, and wear this.

Even so, it was really really hard not to laugh at what she had in mind.

This was only the second time she'd been at his home in the past week, but home had never seemed so welcoming than when she was in it. It was strange to him, and somewhat surreal, not only to have her here once again but to be planning an evening out like they'd done in the past. It was as if the last year or so hadn't happened, and Kem was more than willing to let it slide.

But did he really have to wear... And did she have to look at him like that, with those big green eyes and that completely innocent expression and... damnit!

He tried to grumble, but the practical joker within was already adding a few finishing touches.

Aishe 17 years ago
Aishe simply sat and smiled, her expression guileless and hopeful, and watched Kem's face go through a mosaic of emotions that was so typical of him she couldn't help but be amused. Open shock and disbelief mingled with mild panic. He closed his eyes and then peeked once, made a snarky comment, and proceeded to turn very thoughtful.

Fallon's invitation had come at the perfect time, for Aishe was more than aware of the missed messages, the time gone by that she had neglected her newfound friends in her enthusiasm to accomplish her goal. She was sure she would see Ana there as well, and hoped to be able to apologize to them both for having been so unreachable. She was certain they would understand, though, and if not... well, she would do her best to explain.

The silence in the room was a pretty good indicator that she'd already won this particular debate. Sometimes it was easy to draw Kem out, and sometimes you needed to beat him over the head with a stick. This particular time, all Aishe had to do was appeal to his sense of humor, which was above all things phenominally silly. Kem's horror at being seen at any sort of public function in such out of character attire was soon replaced with open interest and she figured that would be the perfect time to display her own outfit.

Easily enough - there wasn't a whole lot to it. She proudly displayed her own outfit and had the pleasure of watching Kem's eyes open rather wide.

"The internet is a wonderful thing, isn't it?"
Kem`Raaisu 17 years ago
It was a good long time before he stopped laughing.

"You're really going to wear that?"

At Aishe's answering nod, Kem shook his head and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "How can I say no, in that case?"

He picked up the offensive garment she'd found for him and looked at the tag. That was a mistake, for although he knew next to nothing about clothes save for his usual 'point and click on whatever looked decent on the model,' he couldn't help but lose it even further.

"'Paradise on a Hanger?'" The words were choked out through another fit. "You've got to be kidding me."
Aishe 17 years ago
"You should have seen the website," Aishe said, her grin growing even wider at Kem's laughter. "It was appropriately cheesy. But I saw this and I knew without a shadow of a doubt it was completely and totally you."

That last was said with no small amount of irony. There wasn't a chance in hell Kem would ever have bought this particular item if left to his own devices, and that was perhaps the beauty of it.

"Fallon will laugh," Aishe said. "And honestly, I'm not sure how many people there I'll even know, so we'll both be strangers in a strange land. Anantya land. But Fallon's a sweetheart, and Cyrus is very nice. Ana will be there as well, I hope, and I'll introduce you to them all. It'll be fun!"

She jumped to her feet, her natural exuberance carrying her up and into Kem's arms for a hug. "I'm happy," she said softly, but no less intensely. "It was this time last year I found Evenhet, and knew I could find you too."

Aishe rested her head against Kem's chest, closed her eyes as she listened to the unnaturally slow heartbeat. Almost exactly a year had passed, and she could forget all about it and simply move on as if it had never happened. That suited her well enough, as it did Kem. Bygones could easily be bygones with things having finally worked out.

"You ought to see what I've got in mind for this halloween," she said, pulling back briefly with a mischievous wink before nestling close once more.
Kem`Raaisu 17 years ago
Kem figured he was going to have to rethink his life extra-hard if this was 'him.' He supposed in the scheme of things though, if the worst someone had to say about him was that he could laugh at himself, he might not be doing too horribly. Besides, Aishe was making this far too much fun already. As if having her back wasn't enough, her boundless energy was contagious. He couldn't remain skeptical, surely not in the light of her overwhelming enthusiasm for this topic.

"I like the pith helmet particularly," he said, perking up as he peered into the bag of accessories that accompanied the outfit. "I've always thought I'd look daring and intrepid with one of those. You don't think that's more 'safari' than 'tropical,' do you?"

Her bouncing into his arms was unexpected but not at all unwelcome, and Kem was discovering he seemed to have a latent talent for snuggling smallish vampires. He'd mentioned it to Aishe the night before and she'd wasted no time in making it her personal mission to see that he got enough practice. H tightened his arms around her half-consciously at the reminder that this time last year she'd made her way into Nachton looking for him, and tried to ignore the stab of regret that he'd so badly botched things.

It didn't seem to be something she wanted to dwell on though, and while Kem was growing rapidly accustomed to all of the snuggly stuff, he wasn't so hot yet with the squishy feelings stuff... so he was more than willing to follow her subject change back to the more enjoyable prospect of Halloween and more costumes.

"What did you have in mind?"

He was a little surprised when she stood on tiptoe to whisper into his ear, but he bent to listen and then felt a little grin of his own form.

"Appropriate," Kem said with a nod. "I'll do it."
Aishe 17 years ago
"Anything made out of straw is tropical," Aishe said with all the confidence of one who's never been to a tropical island as Kem peered into her bag of toys. "You don't have to wear it, but I thought I'd get a selection."

She knew he would though, just as she knew he'd like her next costume idea, simply because they could have dressed up in sheets with little eyeholes in them and they'd have a good time. "It'll be wonderful."

Even she couldn't have guessed what she was talking about at that point. The party, Halloween, the rest of their lives. She shrugged it off... the statement would fit any one. Kem simply nodded; she felt the movement against her head, tucked under his chin, and figured there was certainly time for some more hugging and snuggling before they really did have to get ready...

((OOC: Both out))