Making Ready

Alfarinn wrapped the towel around his waist and stepped out of the bathroom. On the nightstand was the invitation that he had received at Meridian. He had been quite surprised and touched to be included. He remembered Fallon and Cyrus from the Mayor's dinner and was glad to see that they were doing well enough to throw a party. Thaddeus had an identical invitation, as did all of the Anantya. It might just be the perfect situation if Sorin also planned to attend.

First things first, he picked up the invitation and read it once more. Tropical attire... He had hoped to convince Thaddeus that a loincloth was required but alas he doubted that his ruse would succeed. Alfarinn laid out his clothes on the bed; he had a pair of white cargo pants and a white loose safari shirt. Not one to consider the autumn air in Nachton to be cold, he choose a pair of flipflops made from rattan.

He pulled away the towel and began getting dressed. Alfarinn wondered if he should leave his hair loose or tie it back. Turning to his companion, He waved in the direction of the still damp strands.

“What should I do with it? Any ideas?”

Thaddeus Grey 17 years ago
Thaddeus used his towel to vigorously dry his hair, lingering in the bathroom for a moment to rearrange it again before following Alfarinn out. With his hair getting so long he really would need to start paying more attention to it. Perhaps it was time to cut it? Once again he ultimately decided there were more important things to worry about, though it bothered him to think he was letting himself go.

Hell with it. He –still- looked good even if he did need a trim, and that was debatable anyway.

Wandering to the closet, he pulled out the taupe linen slacks and dark blue lightweight shirt he had selected for the evening, picking out a white shirt to wear underneath and bringing everything to the bed to get dressed.

He tilted his head to one side in his avian gesture of consideration, then smirked inwardly when he realized he was simply using the question to shamelessly look Alfarinn over.

“I like the braids…” He leaned over after fastening the top button of his pants, and reached out to take a strand between his fingers. “Could I try something?”
Alfarinn 17 years ago
Alfarinn turned towards Thaddeus and smiled. His companion looked nice and comfortable in the loose fitting clothing. It seemed different somehow not his lover's style but at the same time Thaddeus made it look good. He made anything, including the towel he had taken off, look good. The dark blue shirt went well against his pale skin and hair and Alfarinn had to fight off the urge to see just how thin the material of his lover's slacks were.

He went into the bathroom and got a plastic bristled brush, a comb, and several bands. Walking over to his companion, Alfarinn sat down on the edge of the bed.

"My hair is in your hands. Do with it as you see fit."Â?

Looking up at Thaddeus, he grinned and gifted him with the items he had brought from the other room.

"So what do you think Palmer will come dressed in?"Â?
Thaddeus smiled in a rather young sort of way when Alfarinn returned with hair implements in hand, hurriedly pulling on his shirt so he could get to more important things. Climbing fully onto the bed, he knelt just behind his lover, thinking he would probably be tall enough this way to try his idea.

He picked up the brush first, but hovered for a moment, concerned.

“Let me know if I’m too rough?”

It could be hard to tell how hard to brush on another person – one needed to push through the strands or there was no point but feeling plastic bristles scraping and pulling was never much fun. He went slowly, though, starting from the top and pushing down through still-damp hair until it was perfectly smooth and sleek. Then he picked up the comb.

He chuckled a little as he carefully ran the edge of the comb through Alfarinn’s hair, making a part that swept at an angle from one side of his head to the other and considering his lover’s question.

“God only knows. A grass skirt? A leopard printed thong? Something shocking I’d imagine.”

Grinning at his friend’s expense, he meticulously separated the front section of hair into four parts, redoing this step until each part was as perfectly even as he could get it.

“I wonder what Claire will wear…” He didn’t think his fellow nightsman was the type to show up in a grass skirt and coconut bra but then again –he- wasn’t the type to wear a leather collar and dance at the House of Pain, according to most. As soon as he mentioned her, though, he felt a flicker of discomfort. They hadn’t exactly parted well and he supposed it would be unfair of him to expect any sort of remedy until he really explained himself.

Preferably –before- she found the young man whose father he’d killed. But not now.

Marveling at how one’s mind could wander when fixing hair, he paused in his progress. He had made a fair start on the braid and was now steadily bringing in more hair with each pass. Bringing himself back to the present and scolding his mind for wandering, he kissed his lover gently on the temple before continuing.

“My mother taught me this. I think it’s a French braid though this is a little different than what I first learned.” The braid came from the side rather than the center and swept around, pulling the hair off the face but leaving it a bit more loose looking in the back.

He smiled.
“-I- think it will look quite handsome. But then I might be biased on that account.”
Alfarinn 17 years ago
Alfarinn sighed happily and let his eyes drift closed as his lover gently brushed his hair. Thaddeus was taking more care with the strokes than he did normally but he knew that it was hard to gauge how sensitive people were and how much pulling you were doing when it was not your hair.

"Mmmm, no, that's fine."Â?

He had nearly forgotten that he had asked a question as his mind slid off into a trance like nothingness. Each brush stroke was lulling him into a more relaxed state to which he could have easily fallen asleep if the circumstances had allowed. Smiling at the thought of Palmer in a grass skirt, Alfarinn answered.

"Well I'm sure that he would make it look good."Â?

Quite the feat that would be but somehow Alfarinn could envision Palmer pulling off a grass skirt looking purposeful and more wild and native than humorous. He also did not believe the Charleston Anantya would have any trouble walking about bare chested but perhaps he was wrong in that assessment of Palmer's self confidence.

Raising an eyebrow at Thaddeus, Alfarinn carefully shrugged, doing his best not to disturb his companion's work.

"I am sure that she will think of something."Â?

The hands working through his hair were even more delightful than the brush. He figured that Thaddeus could be tieing his hair in knots and he would not have cared in the slightest.

"You are a man of many skills, Beloved. I thank you mother for teaching you this one."Â?

His eyes slid closed again and he wondered if Thaddeus noticed how much he enjoyed this particular bit of attention. It was doubtlessly obvious but he would have to express his gratitude when he could.
When Thaddeus reached the base of Alfarinn’s skull he realized he was at something of a turning point and paused to consider what he wanted to do. He could just end the braid here and tie it off, and he thought that might be the most practical solution, but no one was beating down their door just yet and he thought there ought to be time to finish the braid with a bit more elegance.

Beginning his very important work once again, he picked up the conversation as he swept more hair into each section.

“My mother was a remarkable woman. What I’ve learned in my three human lifetimes…were I to go back she would –still- know more than me. ” He smiled softly. “It took me much longer than most children to realize that my parents didn’t actually know everything.” Still grinning, he added: “Though tonight I will agree that I am particularly grateful to her for imparting this particular skill.”

By the time he reached the top of Alfarinn’s shoulder blades all of the hair had been neatly gathered into the braid, and it was quick going to finish off the long tail and secure it with a rubber band. At some point in the process his companion had closed his eyes, and now Thaddeus shamelessly took the opportunity to lean down and plant a soft kiss on the partially exposed neck.
Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer stood outside the apartment door, looking unexpectedly subdue in khaki pants and a button down shirt, a pair of red Oakleys finishing off the look. To be fair, the shirt was a brilliant red and covered with multi colored parrots and palm fronds, but even this was downright understated for him. He thought it best to keep it low key, considering drawing attention to himself might not be a good idea tonight. See, he could be a professional! Also…he suspected something more wild really might not fly with Claire and he didn’t want her to be embarrassed to be seen with him. Maybe he worried too much but until this was over he didn’t think anyone was going to be quite normal.

Not that some people ever were.

Even with the invitation, there was no way of knowing if Sorin would decide to show. Maybe he wouldn’t and this could just be a fun party! He stamped out that thought, feeling he should be hoping for Sorin’s arrival considering otherwise they would have to wait for a better time and who knew when that would come.

He wasn’t exactly sure how he was going to handle seeing the Elder of the Night again. Did he need a plan for what to say or should he play things by ear? On the one hand it was a party – how hard would it be to avoid getting pulled off for a chat about his little assignment? On the other hand, though, he couldn’t deliberately avoid Sorin or he’d know something was up. Hopefully the others might have some advice or this could end up distinctly awkward.

He had a largish box under one arm that, while not heavy, was somewhat awkward, and he hoped one of the blonde boy brigade would open the door soon. Giving the peephole a direct stare so they could satisfy their paranoia before opening up, he waited for admittance.
Alfarinn 17 years ago
Alfarinn smiled at Thaddeus' recounting of all that his mom knew and taught him. His companion's love for his family was apparent in the way he spoke. There was a momentary pang of sadness for the loss of family for Thaddeus. He knew how much they could be missed and how lost he had personally felt for many years; it was like a part of himself had grown up and gone on without him.

He smiled at the little kiss on the back of his neck and it brought him back to the present. Alfarinn stood and turned to Thaddeus.

"Thank you"Â?

Standing, up, he placed his hands on Thaddeus' hips and pulled his companion closer. Leaning down he gave his lover a tender kiss of gratitude. As tempting as it was to linger there with Thaddeus against him, the doorbell chose that moment to ring. Alfarinn grimaced and muttered.

"Figures."Â?

Giving his lover another quick kiss in deviance, Alfarinn then let go and went to answer the door. A quick look through the peep hole revealed that it was Palmer. No grass skirt... he wondered if Thaddeus would be disappointed at his friend's slightly more subtle choice. He secretly suspected that Thaddeus enjoyed the wild and surprising nature of his fellow Anantya despite how outwardly grumpy he occasionally appeared to be with the Huntsman.

Opening the door, Alfarinn grinned.

"What a surprise! A present for us? You shouldn't have."Â?
Thaddeus chuckled inwardly as he returned Alfarinn’s kiss, feeling as though he was getting away with something. After all, his lover had not yet looked in a mirror and while –he- thought the hair looked splendid, he had no way of being certain Alfarinn would like it. He thought to say ‘don’t thank me yet’ but then decided…not to. Instead he grinned into the kiss, tilting his head to one side and…

Ah. The doorbell. At least Alfarinn shared his sentiments on that score.

Following his companion to the door, he reflected half humorously that trust was letting someone else fix your hair and not checking afterward. Of course, it was quite possible Alfarinn –had- looked as they walked down the hallway – he’d been looking elsewhere.

He raised one eyebrow at his fellow clansman as the door opened, somewhat surprised to see that his friend was toning it down tonight. He spoke dryly, smirking at the end.

“Just what I always wanted.”

Trying to look innocent, he held out both hands in an offer to take the package.
Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer beamed a smile at the blonde duo, pulling off his sunglasses with his free hand and taking a step forward.

“What? My presence isn’t present enough? Alas, though, I didn’t. You’ll get your present when you make an honest man of Thaddeus. And throw a party. Or you could just throw a party.”

He gave Thaddeus a stern ‘and that goes for you too’ look as he tucked the glasses into his front shirt pocket, then handed him the box and stepped inside as cool as you please.

“It’s just a little housewarming gift for Fallon and Cyrus. I’ll say no more, though! Wouldn’t want to ruin the surprise.”
Thaddeus was taken aback enough by Palmer’s little comment that he nearly dropped the box when it was handed to him. Oh, if he thought he was getting away with that he had another thing coming! He muttered under his breath.

“-Unbelievable-.”

Realizing he was talking to empty air as Palmer breezed on into the room, he turned and half listened with growing amusement as his friend rambled about the present. He still had the box in his ungloved hands and made no move to put it down. When Palmer was finished, Thaddeus turned to Alfarinn.

“Yes, we wouldn’t want anyone know there’s a set of windchimes in here.” He turned to Palmer, his expression completely deadpan. “Ooops.”

[Should I tell him the checkout girl had the hots for him?]

Still keeping a straight face, he turned to set the box on the counter, though he felt a flicker of unease. Sensing what he had wanted to sense had been…more clear than usual. Easier wasn’t precisely the right way to describe it but he couldn’t quite nail down what it was any better than that.

Well. Perhaps Miss Heather –really- had the hots for Palmer. It didn’t seem like the thing to worry about. What was really funny to him was just how compelling body language could be - he'd made an expected gesture and Palmer did the expected thing in response.

/ooc edit - yes I am blind, new present incoming!
Claire 17 years ago
Claire had finally ceased trying to pick up her skirt by the time she had reached the apartment complex of the two men. She silently tread up the stairs and rang the doorbell. It was her hope that the men could advise her as to whether or not her attire was going to be appropriate for the party. It had said jungle attire but it was possible that this had become some slang term for a street fashion that she was unaware of. If so then her current attire was going to make her stand out as horribly deficient in all good sense.

She could have worn many things, but as she read the invitation, Claire understood the idea of the party was to wear a costume...from the jungle areas. It the spirit of that event, She chose the attire that was fashionable in India on those occasions that she had visited it. They had always carried a certain exotic elegance and practicality. The Indian climate had not been conducive to petticoats, over skirts, bustles, high necked collars and heavy fabrics. Most of the English women had looked stoically miserable through out their stays in under that foreign sun...the nights had been only slightly less balmy for parts of the season.

Tonight, Claire wore a sari of rich burgundy with intricate gold detailing. The matching burgundy blouse and underskirt had the same gold detailing but only along the hemlines. She wore a modest selection of three slim gold bracelets on each wrist and a pair of golden slippers that were often times hid by the length of her skirt. She did not wear a traditional bindi on her forehead. Claire had been married but was married no longer. Instead she wore a golden chain down the middle of her part that dangled a garnet and teardrop shaped pearl down the center of her forehead. Claire left her long deep black locks unbound and falling loose down her back.

In her hands, she carried the long box with the herbal plants that she had picked from her garden. The small blue green ceramic pots contained: rosemary,mint,chamomile, and catnip. Hoping that she was not late, Claire waited to be admitted.
Alfarinn 17 years ago
Raising his eyebrows in surprise, Alfarinn laughed at Palmer's retort. He turned to smile affectionately at Thaddeus at the thought before returning his attention to their guest. Looking back at Palmer, he replied mildly.

"You would imply that Thaddeus was not an honest man now?"Â?

Alfarinn did not think twice about Thaddeus taking the package from Palmer. Nor, for that matter, of Palmer walking right in. He closed the door behind the Anantya and waved to the wolf that everything was okay. Skodde did not seem to need much convincing, probably because Palmer had been here before. The wolf gave him a soft growl of annoyance before going back to his prone position.

It was something of a surprise when Thaddeus announced that there was a set of wind chimes in the box. He glanced down at it curiously and laid one hand on it. Yep, wind chimes.. smiling cashier..money exchanging hands.

[ Somehow, I don't think he would be shocked.]

He took his hand away quickly, giving Palmer an amused look. He'd offered the gift right over and thought nothing of Thaddeus' ungloved hands. There was little time for him to contemplate the smooth way his partner pulled off that little prank before the door bell rang. Not wanting to miss the inevitable exchange of words, Alfarinn quickly moved a step back in front of the door and opened it for Claire.

"You look stunning this evening, Mademoiselle Tremaine."Â?

Giving her a small bow and a sweeping hand gesture of invitation. Alfarinn added.

"Do come in."Â?

Closing the door after his latest guest, he turned back to face the people in the room.
Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer was about to elaborate on just what sort of scoundrel Thaddeus was, pleased to have gotten a laugh out of Alfarinn at the very least, when his 'friend' coolly announced the contents of the box. He'd been had, and he had the gaping expression to prove it! He stood with one finger pointed at Thaddeus, unsure of what to say but certain it would be scathing, but he didn't get passed 'you little..."Â? before the doorbell rang. Alfarinn, unflappable and ever polite, answered it graciously while Palmer did a mock scowl and shook his fist at Thaddeus before breaking into his cool smile.

"I'll get you. Wait and see."Â?

Turning his attention away from his smug friend, he looked to see Claire stepping through the door. His smile turned much more genuine as he took in the new threads, and he gave her a welcoming nod before turning to Thaddeus.

"Look at you, wandering around the house and not even ready to go!"Â? He pointed to Thaddeus's bare feet. "Scandalous! There is a -lady- present!"Â? Alright, so his own sandals had taken about two seconds to slide into but he couldn't resist giving Thaddeus a hard time. Grinning, he turned back to Claire. "Alfarinn is correct - you are looking particularly lovely this evening."Â? His smile broadened and he raised both eyebrows. "Want to go to a party with me? You'll be dressed perfectly and I hear it's going to be grand."Â? Alright, so they were both Anantya and the whole lot of them were going together anyway, but you couldn't blame a guy for trying.
Thaddeus gave Palmer an ‘oh no I’m so scared’ gesture before turning to the door, where Alfarinn was admitting Claire. She had, he observed, chosen well – something unique and lovely while at the same time not excessively flamboyant. He’d never known Claire to be less than practical but he’d still been curious about how she would manage tonight.

He didn’t have a chance for more than a ‘good evening’ before Palmer was on his case about the lack of shoes. Well, he did need to get some shoes on, but that wasn’t the point! He gave Palmer a dismissive wave before turning to go, though by the end his expression had turned into a grin. Looking to Alfarinn and Claire, he went more serious and polite, if slightly long suffering.

“Please excuse me for a moment.”

With that he headed off to the bedroom to find his shoes, realizing all the while that he was doing just what Palmer told him to do. Well, if his friend wanted him out of the room for a moment he’d play along.
Claire 17 years ago
Claire smiled at Alfarinn for his gracious words and the invitation inside. He looked very comfortable and put together in the solid white. Thaddeus, she saw, had chosen to wear something that stood out a bit less; he looked stylish, an Anantya always, no matter what he wore.

Palmer, however, was his own brand of Anantya... or perhaps his own simply his own brand. He was hard to constrain into any category. The thought of trying to physically restrain the muscular man lept into her mind unasked for and Claire felt the heat of a blush rise to her ears. She smiled shyly at them all before her focus turned to Palmer once more. On anyone else that bold print would have worn them but the Huntsman was such a force of life that he was noticed even before something so....saturated.

Claire nodded in understanding to Thaddeus, grinning slightly at the teasing that he was willing to take from his friend. She stepped over towards Palmer and away from the door once she realized that Christian had not yet arrived.

Smiling at Palmer's words, She replied.

“Thank you.”

But to the rest she felt an immediate rush of happiness, for being noticed and asked by someone so outgoing and easily likeable as Palmer. The feeling quickly sank into the pit of her stomach when she remembered what her answer was required to be. Fidgeting with the edge of the sari, Claire worked up the nerve to reply and hoped that Palmer would understand. She turned large brown eyes his way and hoped they portrayed her sincere regret.

“I would have loved to. I am very happy that you asked....but Christian needs to accompany me in order to be allowed to go.”
Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer put his hand to his chest in feigned injury and shot an accusatory look at Alfarinn.

"The Evenhet are stealing our nightsmen! And women,"Â? he amended, turning to Claire with a twinkle in his eye. "I suppose I'll have to be a gentleman and concede, then, but just this once!"Â?

Though he thought he played it off easily enough, his internal monologue was floundering between 'damn' and 'oh boy do -you- look stupid'. He considered asking for a rain check but asking twice in a row only to get turned down a second time would be a little rough even for him. Besides, he should have known she would be going with Christian - it was the sensible thing to do after all - and asking for a rain check might make it look like he had engineered the whole rejection thing in order to obligate her to accept another date. He'd rather look stupid than sleazy, at least that could be said for him.
Christian Bern 17 years ago
Christian knocked on the apartment door and stood back to wait. It was strange to be going to a party made up of mostly members of a rival clan. He could just imagine what kind of mayhem was possible if an altercation took place. Were there other Evenhet likely to be present? Was it a trap for Alfarinn?

Such thoughts seemed overly paranoid but necessary. He did not think that Claire, Thaddeus or Palmer would be a party to such a plot, making it unlikely. Thaddeus and Alfarinn had been together in public enough for both clans to be aware of their involvement. It was doubtful that the Anantya would stage a murder or kidnapping with the blonde Nightsman present. Nor, did such a prelude to war make any sense for other practical reasons. Then again...no one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.

He was coming as Claire's date and had been informed ahead of time about her chosen attire. For this reason, he was wearing a burgundy pants suit and Nehru jacket with brushed gold wooden toggles lined neatly down the front. He held a bottle of champagne as a small house warming gift since Claire told him that she had something else prepared.
Thaddeus headed for the closet where a pair of brown leather boat shoes were waiting, still mentally shaking his head at Palmer. He debated socks for a moment and decided they would be too pretentious. Slipping on the shoes over his bare feet, he turned to the dresser to pick up the wrapped gift on the table, smiling inwardly at what he and Alfarinn had selected together – a chess set cut from jade and granite. It was elegant enough to be ornamental but one could certainly play a match with it too.

Picking up the gift, he sighed, placed it on the bed, and kicked off the shoes. Maybe he would look pretentious with socks but it just felt wrong to go without. Rushing now lest Palmer tease him for spending a disproportionate amount of time on footwear, he slipped out of the bedroom, gift in hand and socks and shoes on feet, in time to hear the doorbell ring. Palmer was talking of conceding something or other and he wondered if his friend was placing bets. He set the gift on the counter next to the wind chimes and headed for the door after raising a curious eyebrow at Alfarinn, though he pursued the matter of what he had missed no further than that.

Looking through the peephole, he saw, as expected, Christian waiting on the other side, looking quite smart and holding a bottle of what looked to be champagne. He opened the door, smiling and stepping inside to invite the Evenhet in.

“Welcome, do come in…” He looked over his shoulder at the remainder of the group, smirking, then turned back. “Seems the party is already starting.”
Alfarinn 17 years ago
Alfarinn tried to look invisible as Palmer asked Claire to the party. Mentally chanting to himself "I'm not here... I'm not here..."Â? He still winced inwardly at the reply. She let him down easily though and who knows how things would have gone if Christian hadn't needed a way to go to the party. Actually he did know and thought Palmer would have received a very different answer, if her emotions were any indication.

They really did need the Evenhet Security Chief there, he was the only sender in their little party of people in the know. He had Thaddeus could have separated he supposed but he would not have been allowed into the Manor without his companion or a very damn good reason and he'd not have wanted to risk Thaddeus going alone being a target of particular interest. Though, he might have been grudgingly convinced to be less protective if Christian were not among them.

Seeing his companion's look of interest, he sent.

[Ah... Your friend asked the lovely lady to the party and she had to tell him no.]

He felt embarrassed admitting it to Thaddeus but he was not one to keep secrets from his lover. Besides, he doubted his companion would be truly horrible to the Huntsman over it.

[I think he took it well. She was nice about it.]

Christian's arrival would hopefully soothe a possibly awkward moment. Alfarinn hoped that it wouldn't make it worse at the very least.

((OOC: sensing with permission ))
Claire 17 years ago
Claire smiled at Palmer and hoped that she could make it up to him in some way at a later point. She wondered then just what kind of opportunity she was hoping for. Scandalized by her own wayward thoughts, She tried to come to Evenhet's defense.

"It is entirely possible that it is Anantya that is stealing the Evenhet away. We should perhaps ask Thaddeus who was responsible for the first theft."Â?

Of course, she realized that this could lead someone into thinking that she had asked Christan. It had not been her intention. Wonderful Tremain! She was a diplomat and ambassador and yet she could bungle up simply being asked to a party. It had not been -that- long since such a thing had occurred. Pondering how to relay that her words were meant in the best possible way, Claire settled for setting her hand lightly on Palmer's arm and smiling at him.

She put her hand back to the gift in her arms when Thaddeus opened the door for Christian. There was no reason to have the Evenhet believe she'd rather not be in his company. That was untrue and she'd not have him uncomfortable even thinking she'd prefer to be accompanying someone else. That though might be true.