Meeting the Tower

Staring up at the glossy towers, Jacob pondered the changes. These slick surfaces also provided a bit of light, but it was mostly a reflection of what was around them that they broadcast back out over the city - its own twinkling goodness and swirling blackness. But here and there, and a bit more toward the top, the towers beamed their own light out and over the city, acting as a beacon, in some ways. Here there is sympathy, a safe refuge in the night.

Chuckling at his own whimsy, he started up the stairs of the Liefde Tower. They really were marvelous pieces of work. Those Bjorns must know a thing or two about buildings. Heading into the lobby, he looked around. He was supposed to have a conversation with someone named Marie...Mary...Mari. Mari, yes, that was it. He knew she was going to be in the lobby, but he didn't see anyone at the central desk just at the moment. Perhaps she was out for a nip of tea or off in the loo. He imagined that there weren't typically problems with vandals or criminals within the building after dark, as Meridian had a saintly reputation, and Liefde was known to be the career businessperson's home base for the company. Who would want to stir things up here?

Walking toward a very sleek, very vacant reception desk, Jacob figured he would wait until someone came out. There were cameras and whatnot, he was sure, so someone would likely come to see what he was about, even if it wasn't this Marie.

MARI 17 years ago
MARI scanned the new comer while looking for the human receptionist. She found her speaking...further examination of postures,gestures and speech patterns suggested that this was the mating ritual known as flirting, with the security guard. The personnel handbook clearly stated that such a practice was forbidden while on duty. MARI blinked onto two screens simultaneously, one in front of the stranger and another behind the wayward employee.

"Greetings and welcome to Meridian. I am MARI. May I be of service or would you care to wait for the receptionist?"

The less efficient girl was there to be a 'friendly live face' for the company. On the screen behind the receptionist MARI waited silently until the guard started looking stern and ignoring the forward advances. The girl glared and made a playful slap at his arm and it was not until he cut his eyes to something behind her that the woman turned around.

She fell backwards into the guard in her surprise at being caught. MARI wondered why that was not an unexpected outcome with the number of cameras in the lobby and rifled through the receptionist's files for reports on her intelligence. The girl stammered that she needed to use the rest room and ....had been just 'on her way there'..via a circuitous route that took her by the front guard. MARI watched in patient disbelief until the girl began to move in the correct direction before blinking off that screen.
Jacob Moor 17 years ago
Blinking as the screens behind the reception area came to life and painted the features of a fairly attractive young woman. She seemed to be surrounded by a blue nimbus, and there was an electrical pulsation traveling from her "skin" to the tips of her "hair." Mari certainly wasn't what he was expecting in a receptionist.

"My, my. Aren't you something, then? And no, my dear, my business is with you. I am sorry, I've been rude. I am Jacob Moor. I was informed that I should come speak with you about securing a lodging within this tower for the duration of my stay here in Nachton."

Staring at MARI with frank amazement on his features, Jacob recalled hearing a man speak on the telly about the exponential increase in scientific research and technological development that had taken place since the time of the Industrial Revolution. It seemed that Jacob could now officially consider himself behind the curve. He'd never even heard of something like this, though he had read a rather interesting novel about artificial intelligences and telepresence. He assumed MARI was the former, rather than the latter, but wished to know for sure. He'd ask around some - he didn't want to be rude or hurt her feelings, digital or no. Reverting to his default warm smile, he queried

"I do hope that my information is not out of date. Can you assist me?"
MARI 17 years ago
MARI accessed the name Jacob Moor and read the file. He was a vampire member of the clan. That would explain his being sent to her.

" There is no cause for concern. Your files are in order."

She looked for rooms that were available and selected some of the better choices.

"Would you prefer something around the bottom, near the middle or something closer to the top?"Â?

She paused a moment for him to consider those options. He seemed to be quite polite and not the least bit daunted by speaking to her if his friendly manner were any indication.

"And is there any other specifications that you would like to add for selecting this room? Some are furnished and others are not. If you would specify which you would prefer then I can narrow down the search."Â?
Jacob Moor 17 years ago
She seemed a bit curt. He wondered if she was under a lot of stress, being in charge of both facilities. Realizing that if she was purely digital that she probably was only using a tiny fraction of her operating capacity talking to him, he wrote it off as programming. Still, that she could almost feel...it was truly remarkable. He'd have to ask her about emotion sometime when he was a bit more confident that questions wouldn't hurt her feelings.

"Oh, somewhere near the top would be lovely. And furnished. I'll have some personals coming along shortly, but it may be awhile before the freight arrives. At that point, can I swap out the pieces that I no longer require?"

Tapping his chin thoughtfully, he wondered if there was anything else. Yes, of course.

"Oh, and MARI, what are the best restaurants in Nachton?"

Priorities are priorities, after all.
MARI 17 years ago
MARI discarded the choices that did not match his further specifications; it only left her with two possible apartments. She chose the one with the lowest number.

"You may refurnish you quarters as you choose all that we ask is that you return the items that were provided to The Towers instead of selling them. Your room is on the 83rd floor and is suite 8345."Â?

She paused to let him remember the number.

"I can show you to the room and program it to remember you. If you do not wish to do this now then you may notify me at any time."Â?

Considering his other question, MARI accessed the restaurant ratings in the city.

"There are many fine dining places in Nachton. Would you like a complete list or was there a type of restaurant that you would prefer?"Â?
Jacob Moor 17 years ago
Grinning like a fox in the hen house, Jacob nodded.

"A complete list would be lovely, my dear. Just send it up to my room. I'll head there directly. I've been more than enough trouble to you already. Thank you for your time."

Taking up his insignificant baggage that he'd brought along, he headed toward the elevator and his new lodgings.

((ooc: Jacob out))
MARI 17 years ago
MARI nodded though somewhat surprised, if she could be surprised which when dealing with unpredictable organic creatures she found she could certainly come close, it was very rare that they actually said exactly what they meant. She had expected Jacob to have given her the broad question but really want a specific answer, as most do when they asked such things.

"Certainly, it will be waiting for you."

She lit the way to the room via a lighted path on the floor in order to show Meridian's latest arrival the way home.

((OOC: MARI out ))