A Hunt (Attn. Alex)

On the surface this was deceptively simple, but when the Elder said she'd test him Ambrose was certain that meant more than a simple run and fetch. But, he wasn't going to jump to conclusions and go in guns blazing, nor was he going to go in unarmed either. A shoulder holster was neatly hidden under his sports coat. He wasn't terribly fond of them, but he could try being subtle.

Settling into his truck he studied the name and the address again. Not a lot to be learned there so he spent a few long silent moments studying his partner/supervisor. Far too flash, just the sort he wouldn't trust. On the other hand Mai had enough faith in him to send him on this mission, which counted for a great deal. That and it wouldn't due to have them suspicious of each other so let's do this, he decided and waited some what impatiently for him to get in so they could get rolling.

"When ever you're ready."Â?

'Pretty boy' he added silently to himself. See he kept his mouth shut, he could be civil. It was a little harder than usual, it had been a long time since Ambrose had a job like this and it brought back a lot of memories and it made him feel rather... intent. Once they were moving, had a plan, he'd feel better. He always had in the past.

Alex West 17 years ago
Brown hair, brown eyes, weathered face. Dress attire, casual. The cane was functional. So was the Ford Ranger with extended end that Alexander’s ‘partner’ lead him to. Like the owner, the intimidating vehicle basically screamed “don’t fuck with me.”

Still appearances were deceiving and the interior of the Ford Ranger didn’t stink of stale beer or cigarettes, and no crushed cans and empty nacho packets littered the floor. That the owner took pride in his vehicle did count for something.

“Whenever you’re ready.”

Alexander slipped into driver’s passenger seat and pulled the seat belt across him with slow deliberation. The only sound in the cabin was the soft click as the belt was latched.

Alexander turned to the other vampire and smiled.

“Let’s get the idle pleasantries out of the way, shall we?”

“The name is Alexander Hadrian Westmoreland. Alex West for short. You can call me Alex, Alexander or West. It’s purely academic. I’m English. Born in India, died there to. Just over 200 years ago. I serve Anantya without question. I’ll back you up in a fight, offer advice when needed, and support your actions when called upon.”

Alexander paused as he smoothed down the creases on his pants.

“If you say there’s going to be trouble. I’ll believe you. I only ask that you let me pick up some weapons before we leave.”

Alexander offered his right hand and waited.

((OOC: and away we go... ))
Ambrose 17 years ago
He hadn’t asked for a life history and honestly, Ambrose didn’t appreciate it right now. Nor was he inclined to return the favor, besides actions spoke louder than words. Although he did note he’d gotten tossed in with another Brit.

Wasn’t any one in this clan American? Actually, considering the age of the clan and the age of the country they probably were a minority. But that would require him making a study of things, and it wasn’t worth it.

Accepting the offered hand, he gave it a firm businesslike shake.

“Ambrose Townsend.”

The rest of it just wasn’t relevant. If Alex wanted to know, he could ask. It wasn’t being rude, not to his mind, Ambrose just wasn’t a talker, at least in the case of most folks.

“If you need to get something that’s fine, I’ll wait.”
Alex West 17 years ago
“If you need to get something that’s fine, I’ll wait.”

A firm, strong grip. Nothing worse than a limp handshake, Alexander thought approvingly. And if Mr. Townsend preferred to keep his details private, that was his business.

At least Alexander had learned one thing. Mr. Townsend should prove agreeable to work with. Alexander was pretty sure the curt manner translated to professionalism in the field.

“Mr Townsend? Ambrose? What would you recommend for this endeavour? Blades, stakes or firearms?”

Alexander unbuckled the seat belt and opened the passenger door.
Ambrose 17 years ago
“Ambrose works.”

Formality was wasted on him. There was a time and a place for manners but while working, there were more important things to worry about than forms of address.

Hmmm, he hadn’t expected to be asked for advice. That wasn’t necessarily a bad thing though. Maybe they’d understand each other yet.

“I’m sort of hopping there won’t be a need for them. But if it comes down to it, I’ve got my Colt so I’d figure blades, keeps our bases covered.”

Ambrose wanted this to go smoothly, quietly and easily. If it degenerated to violence, they would be noticed.
Alex West 17 years ago
Alexander nodded and hopped out of the vehicle.

"I'll be back soon Ambrose."

It was quiet in the West Wing, not many of the Anantya kept quarters here. Alexander wondered if the others were on assignment like him and Ambrose, or out socializing amongst the elite of vampire society.

The steel trunk opened with a soft click. Ambrose had said blades, but the Beretta would come in handy as well if things went awry. Alexander slipped off his suit jacket, attached the shoulder holster and carefully placed the loaded semi-automatic pistol in place. He slipped two extra clips into his jacket pockets.

Concealing a sword would be another thing entirely. Alexander took the Infantry Officer's Sword and scabbard and relocked the trunk. The British 1897 model was considered to be amongst the finest of military blades ever produced. Alexander hoped he wouldn't be called upon to use it tonight, but it was better to be prepared than caught unaware.

Alexander slid open the dressing closet and quickly found a gym bag and black three quareter length leather trenchcoat from amongst his jackets and suits. He placed the sword in the gym bag and put on the trenchcoat. Locking the door behind him, Alexander quickly made his way back towards the Ford Ranger.

"Ready" said Alexander as he pulled the door shut.
Ambrose 17 years ago
Ambrose waited as patently as possible, which was not terrifically, but he wasn’t about to begrudge Alex going in prepared. He’d look a might stupid if this stopped being a milk run and became violent and Alex wasn’t prepared.

Once he returned after casting a suspicious glance at the gym bag Ambrose nodded slightly and started the truck. He didn’t speak until they were on the road though. He tossed the notebook at Alex.

“Feel like navigating.”

There was no question, Ambrose just needed the address to be read off as they got closer.

“Any set ideas how you want to do this or are we winging it?”
Alex West 17 years ago
Alexander pulled the Razor black sliding PDA out of his jacket pocket as he flipped back the cover of the notepad. The PDA was useful for communication purposes and keeping abreast of his investments. And useful for the GPS mapping system included as standard. An expensive tool, but highly recommended.

The address was easily entered and a set of directions flashed on the small screen within seconds. Downtown Nachton. The fancifully named 'Strip.' Alexander didn't want to keep Ambrose waiting while he ran a check on the company and mark in question.

"I think discretion and caution should be our watchwords. If this is a simple snatch and grab I'll be very surprised."Â?

Alexander began running possible scenarios and variables through his head. Local human populace in the area. Law Enforcement presence. Vampiric interference. All could be likely hindrances.

Alexander mused. "If we can isolate the mark, all the better. Witnesses we don't need."Â?

"We'll play it your way though, Ambrose. I'm not familiar with Nachton's nuances and will defer to your recommendation."Â?
Ambrose 17 years ago
As he drove, he gave half a curious eye to the PDA. Ambrose didn’t live in the dark ages he just didn’t find technology as entertaining as some folks.

Good, they were on the same page. That would make things easier, fewer misunderstandings.

“Might not need to snatch at all. She might be just as happy to come with us.”

Command was a handy gift to have. Typically he used it for hunting, but part of this was about expanding horizons wasn’t it?

“I’m inclined to go in and ask for her. Who’s to say we don’t have a catering job we’d like hired out and they were recommended. We can always ‘ask’ her to come with us after her shift is over.”

This was a new game for him and Ambrose found himself trying to talk out a plan, not something, he was accustom to. Hearing the ideas out in the open helped him find pros and cons though. The most notable down side to this one being someone would probably remember them if Jessica was missing for too long.
Alex West 17 years ago
"Not a bad suggestion at all," Alexander nodded in agreement.

"Although might I suggest that if you go the 'catering enquiry' route that you use me for that. No offense, but appearances might help."

Alexander doubted his choice of words would offend Ambrose. All angles would have to be considered, including likely reactions from staff at the catering firm. And unfortunately first appearances did count.

Alexander looked at the notepad again and wondered aloud.
"We could always play the INS card or the Health Inspector route. Both would prove uncomfortable for a catering business. And a certain 'command' of the right set of words should prove persuasive."

"Whatever angle you want to play Ambrose, let's work on the cover story now before we get there."
Ambrose 17 years ago
That earned Alex a rather bemused smile, Ambrose came close to laughing. Slick did come off a little cleaner and actually seemed like the sort to use a caterer but still.

Back to business. From the sound of things they’d both be able to persuade the lady in question to come with them, very likely convince any witnesses that neither he nor Alex had ever been seen as well. Good, very good.

“Too much red tape, too easy to check that one out. Government is only trouble.”

All right a perspective new client now could they make that work.

“Between offering to show her where we’re holding this function of ours and asking for some references I think we should have most of it covered.”

Red light, they were almost there, what was he missing?

“Were you at this gig with the exploding mayor? I missed it myself.”
Alex West 17 years ago
Alexander shook his head. "The unfortuante Explosion? No, I wasn't present. I've been in London until two nights ago."

"However, no knowledge could work to our advantage. Neither of us will have any biased predisposition towards the assumed guilt or innocence of the mark. Emotions can prove... troublesome in an investigation of this sort."

Alexander turned off his PDA and rubbed his chin slowly.
"How likely is it that any of the Clans are pursuing this line of investigation Ambrose?"

"And is the mark one of our kind, or human?"

"Either could complicate this situation. I hope that neither prove a factor."

Alexander stared out the window of the cabin, watching the humans scurrying about beneath neon glow and garish street lights.
Ambrose 17 years ago
Transplant. Not that it mattered, but Ambrose had been hoping for some details on the ball itself, something that could have caught someone’s eye, caused them to seek out these particular folks. They’d manage without it though.

“I’d work on the opinion that all of the clans are at least interested in what happened. As for the rest… I don’t want to jump to conclusions.”

Prepare for the worst hope for the best, that was all you could ever do.

And they’d run out of time to prepare. Ambrose parked the truck in one of the handicapped spaces just by the door of the store front and waited for Alex to get out. If this were a ‘catering inquiry’ he’d be better off following Alex’s lead.

“Chicken or fish?”
Alex West 17 years ago
"New Zealand Lamb, Venison and Bluff Oysters. And definitely Marlborough Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc."

Alexander replied as he exited the cab of the Ford Ranger.

"An established catering firm should be able to handle those requirements, although the exact specifics will take a while to meet our 'exacting' standards. Something that we can discuss with Miss Patterson."

Alexander shut the passenger sidedoor softly and adjusted his tie. He made his way around the Ford Ranger and to the main entrance of Cornucopia Catering.

"After you, Ambrose." Alexander smiled.
Ambrose 17 years ago
All right, if he didn’t want to keep the lead he could work with that. Getting out of the truck, he opened the door and held it long enough that Alex could catch old of it and follow with little effort. A bell rang as they entered, but no one came out to meet them, not immediately, which was fine by him it gave them a chance to get a feel for their surroundings.

There was a refrigerated case showing off some of the firm’s dishes, a number of them looked quite complex. On either side of this were two tables, each with large books on them. Ambrose assumed they were conference tables, a place to sit with clients and work out menus. He made his way over to one of these, leaving Alex to take care of himself for the time being.

After a very few minutes a woman came out of the back to greet them. Luck was with them and she introduced herself as Jessica. He’d like to have her last name before going off half-cocked, but it was a good start.
Alex West 17 years ago
Alexander followed after Ambrose, uncertain if his companion had mistaken a polite gesture for something else. You're out of touch, a quiet voice tugged at Alexander's fears. He shrugged off the feeling as he entered the catering store and followed Ambrose towards the counter.

The woman introduced herself as Jessica.

Alexander smiled at her and adopted the refined English accent of his youth.
"Miss Patterson?"

((OOC: Funny misunderstanding. I wish I could see the two vampires in action, could almost be comic - or tragic ))
Stranger 17 years ago
Jessica had been up to her eye balls in sea bass, metaphorically speaking, when the bell on the door jingled. Visitors and clients always came when you were cooking something. She handed the bottle of marsala over to one of the sous chefs and moved quickly to the sink, eyeing the girl's progress with the fretful glances of a mother leaving a small and delicate child in this hands someone else.

She quickly scrubbed her hands clean with the fragrant kitchen soap, hoping to not smell too terribly like fish. As much as Jessica trusted the sous chef, she hoped that this would not take long and she could get back to making certain that the pan roasted sea bass was finished and plated perfectly. The client would be here soon for a final tasting before determining their menu. This particular customer was wealthy and very particular. He demanded to taste the dishes and always came around on a set evening before one of his events in order to dine on the cuisine that she had chosen.

Sir Marke would be here any...Jessica stopped short and looked at the two men who came through the door. Had he sent someone in his place, early? It would not surprise her but at the same time there so far had been a certain ritual protocol to his past dealings. Something perverse always lingered behind his eyes though that she could not explain but said to her that he would turn things around for no other reason than to watch where the pieces fell when they were done spinning.

One of them certainly looked the part of one of Marke's men but she was not sure about the other. It could be that they were not together or perhaps the other was the driver?

"...Hello. I'm Jessica. Can I help you gentlemen?"Â?

Not very smooth, but she was taken off guard. If they were Marke's people then they were here without warning and things were not ready yet. This looked bad...this looked -so bad. Calm down, Jessica, calm down! Smile!. She smiled and waited, hoping the ceiling would cave in before she had to admit she wasn't prepared.

((OOC: Sorry Ambrose :X ))
Alex West 17 years ago
It didn’t take a bloodhound’s acute senses to catch the scent of fish, despite the fragment aroma employed to mask it, as Jessica introduced herself .

Alexander smiled politely and nodded.

“Good evening to you. I am Mr. West. And this is my associate Mr. Townsend.”

Alexander paused for a second, and then extended his right hand.

-tell- Am I correct in assuming that you are Jessica Patterson -tell-, le chef merveilleux?”

Alexander’s French was as flawless as the Queen’s English that spilled from his pale lips. Yet the primary function of using dual languages wasn’t to impress the young woman.

Command could be wielded like a bludgeon, and there was no doubting that the crude use of the Gift was effective if neither time nor subtlety was of great import.

But the real potential of the Gift was weaving the words of Command into everyday sentences and conversation. Leaving the listener none the wiser that their 'strings' were being gently plucked at.

Of course if Jessica was a vampire, such Command questioning may be impaired, if not rendered altogether useless.

On the upside Alexander could count on Ambrose to reinforce the Gift of Command.

((OOC: I'll just use red when using Command. Not sure how it's done. :mrgreen)
Stranger 17 years ago
Jessica blinked once at the pair of gentlemen and turned to the well dressed one when he spoke to her.

“A pleasure... Yes, you are correct. I am Jessica Patterson.”

She fidgeted with the white jacket of her uniform, tugging and straightening it in a fit of nervous habit. Why was she nervous? There was no reason to be nervous. 'You're nervous because they haven't said whether they are Marke's people or not...' Jessica felt her anxiety kick up another notch at the thought of them going through the whole interview without letting her know the answer to that very important question.

She could just ask... what would that hurt? No, she couldn't ask. How rude!

Smiling brightly once again, she said.

“Is there anything we can help you both with?”

Perhaps they were a couple; she had not thought of that before. That could explain them being together but potentially dressing differently. If so, they were a cute couple. Jessica distracted herself with that thought while she nervously waited for an answer.

((OOC: Sorry ambrose, I thought you had gone before Alex. Oops!))
Alex West 17 years ago
"Well Miss Patterson. You came highly recommended as a chef of impeccable style and discerning tastes in the culinary field. I intend to host a small soiree for a select number of guests in the coming weeks. My guests are very particular about their privacy and wish to have the catering reception at our discrete location."

Alexander paused for a few seconds, so that Jessica could absorb the information.

"With this in mind. I'd like you to -tell- come with us tonight after work -tell- so you can check out the catering facilities and to discuss menu options. Is this agreeable?"

Alexander's smile widened as he stared at Jessica.

((OOC: Heh cute couple indeed.))
Ambrose 17 years ago
They’d more or less decided Alex should do the talking and that was just fine with Ambrose. His method of using command was subtle but effective, and so far the lady in question seemed content to obey the directions given her and he refrained from interfering. Although he would have liked to take her now, but he also wasn’t sure how she would handle commands from two different vampires.

With that in mind, he kept rather still and gave himself over to his other gift, perception. There was at least one other person here, in the kitchen, knowing that he remained alert not wanting to let anything seem out of the ordinary.

The cover story was sound enough and she didn’t seemed too dazed, even if someone was to walk in right then Ambrose was fairly confident they wouldn’t make much of an impression.

((OOC… LOL! A regular Oscar and Felix… and no worries.))