Sand between the Toes

The limo had moved swiftly and quietly through the night as the two women in the back spoke quietly of the meal and restaurant. Deciding it was a definate place to return to sometime. Both slipped their sandels off and crossed the short expanse of asphalt to the sandy beach before them. The grains still retained some of the day's warmth even though it was getting later in the evening.

Nyra clasped Connie's hand in her own as she peered at the scenery with an artists eye. It was a study of shadows and whispy tendrils of light from the bright moon above and the parking lot lights behind them. The waves lapped lazily at the beach, leaving behind glimmering bubbles and darkened sand. Breathing in the scent of the salty water and letting the atmosphere fill her soul Nyra was content.

Smiling at her lover she could feel the sand squish between her toes and hear the water quietly speak to them. It was like the whole world was at peace, joyus in the day and content with itself. Their hands swung slightly between them as they walked.

"This is so beautiful. Just like you. Happy birthday Connie."

Connie 17 years ago
With dinner taken care of, a large tip (relative to the total, almost thirty percent, Connie calculated) left for their waiter, and riding next to her lover for their short trip to the Marina helped further settle Connie's stomach.

"What're you worried about, Stone? It's just a date."
"The one where someone will go home happy and relieved, or someone will run crying into the night."
"And you wonder why I'm worried and nervous?"

The mental conversations she was holding with herself notwithstanding, Connie was immensely comforted by Nyra's touch as they meandered over the mushy sand. The salt breeze clearing her lungs as a breeze hadn't done in a very long time, she allowed herself to relax a little, to take in their environment.
"Thank you, Nyra, for both the compliment and the company. I can honestly say, up to now, this is the best birthday I've had in a long time."

Wrapping her arm tenderly around Nyra's waist, and taking the hand she'd been holding with her other hand, Connie rested her head gently on her shorter lover's as they walked. Her accent suppressed almost as a reflex, Connie started speaking, ignoring the part of her mind that shouted "Romantic Moment! Shut UP Stone!" "I hope you don't mind a moment of honesty, but I admit, I've been very nervous about tonight. Very few people have ever seen my work, and well... Showing it to you is one of the things that scares the hell out of me. No, you don't need to respond, just let me ramble... Showing myself off like that is not really anything I've ever done. Sure, you've come home to me stretched nude as a jaybird on our bed. But for reasons I can't fathom, these past few weeks, when I realized what it was I wanted to do for you, I've felt more naked in the realization that it's one of the few things I've never shared with anyone. One of the things that means so much to me that I do for myself."

Absently stroking Nyra's far side, Connie continued,
"I think you might understand, though. Sometimes I can see you're a little nervous when you show me some of your work. I never really know what to say, because there've been so few of your pieces I didn't like, but then my tastes don't embody those of the majority of your clientele anyway. I'm not an art critic, and I can't read your mind, but there've been those few moments, too, where we connect and point at something, saying 'Oh! That needs to change.' And I've seen your nails after those pieces you're nervous about, too, but you've been doing such a good job in not biting them, I'm very proud of that. I'm just very honored to be part of your creative process, whether it's as your chef or your masseuse, your chauffeur or your leaning post. I wonder," she mused grinningly, the smile audible in her voice, "if I should add 'battery charger' and 'pillow' to that resume?" She giggled, then hugged Nyra sideways.
Nyra 17 years ago
Walking and enjoying the evening continued even as Connie poured out her confession of nervousness and the reasons. She wanted to pull her partner into a hug and tell her it was all ok. But instead Nyra simply listened and stroked her thumb over her lover hand where they clasped. Baring your soul was something she had learned to do. It was not easy and could be traumatic should someone use it against you. The worse she had ever had to put up with was people not getting her point which hurt bad enough.

Bumping her hip into Connie's she brushed the strands of hair away from her face as they walked.
"I understand completely and am honored you would wish to share your work with me. The act of showing your innermost thoughts and abilites is more exposing than running naked through a crowd. Because anyone can see a body, its shape or color or size. Not everyone can understand a thought or ideal or concept poured into an art medium."

The arm draped over her shoulder comforted her greatly, enclosing their world to just include the two of them and the beach under their feet.

"I probably dont say it enough, but thank you. You are such a wonderful person to help keep me grounded in reality as well as safe and well. You are the most kind and giving person I have ever met."

The artist leaned her head on the taller woman's shoulder, happy and content with the world. Perhaps she had not eased Connie's fears too much, but knowing what it was like herself she felt there was little she could do until the soul baring had taken place. For now, she was pleased to walk along the waters edge snuggled up to the woman she loved.
Connie 17 years ago
The small touches, the tender bumps from the artist so very close against her gave Connie warmth and reassurance. The kind, honest words, too, brought her a measure of comfort...

But she knew that a bit more than just baring her soul would take place later that night. All of her history would be lain out... And it scared the purple polkadots off her itsy bitsy teeny weeny bikini.

Connie's accent came out a little as she relaxed, comforted, in her lover's arms.
"You say it quite a lot, love, especially when yer not eatin' from paintin' or sculptin'. Or when you're too tired to clean or cook, or after a particularly fun shower or roll under the sheets. Or when I hold yer door for you, or so many other things that we do together that you think you should thank me fer." Connie squeezed Nyra gently and pressed a kiss on the top of her head. Turning their meandering path gently away from the drier sand to that touched by the waves, Connie squished her toes in the soaked sand every few steps. "You say it when you think ya need it said, Nyra, and it's wonnerful of ya. To be honest, I don't need to hear it, but it warms me so, when you do say it, or show it. Thank you, Nyra, for being by my side these last ten months."

After they'd walked in relative silence a bit more, Connie turned them around and kept herself between Nyra and the lapping waves. "When I was younger, I was afraid of the ocean... boating accident... but I got over it. Perserverence and all them fun determination-like driving words that push us through hard times, through the good times, rough seas and calm winds. I used to sit and watch the tides roll in, when I lived near the ocean, enjoyin' the sunrises and sunsets..." Stroking her thumb against Nyra's upper arm, she continued, "For a while, too, I was afraid of love... Gettin' hurt does that to ya..." She slowed them to a stop and, leaning forward, pressed a soft kiss to Nyra's cheek.

"Finding it again in you has brought me daily sunshine. Thank you." She smiled tenderly at her lover. As the waves nipped at their feet, as her eyes stared deeply into Nyra's hazel orbs, Connie shivered.
Nyra 17 years ago
Torn between wanting to blush at the praise, comfort her partner and cry at the concept of her bringing Connie sunshine left her standing there speachless. The entire evening had been romantic and worked its magic upon the artist. Nyra could say nothing but she could and did pull her lovers head down and kiss her passionately. If only that kiss could wipe away all the past tragedies while cherishing every moment they got to share together. Logically she knew that was impossible but she gave it her best try.

Finally she pulled back, breathing slightly heavy with diamond hard nipples trying to show through her discretely lined bra.
"I love you so much Connie."

Unsure how to express everything else she simply hugged the beauty in her arms tightly while she kissed at her jaw occasionally. While everything was fabulous and incredibly romantic, she had a desire to be home, in the calm comfort of their shared space so they could kindle the fires of passion.
Connie 17 years ago
The sudden kiss left her breath short, pulse racing, and twin fires raging in her heart and her belly. The lover in her wanted to whisk Nyra to the sand and make love to her there in the waves...

But the vampire in her that needed outing was more insistent. Half the truth, she reasoned with herself, was no truth at all.

Wrapped in Nyra's arms, she desperately hoped that there were some way that everything would click into place, after all was 'said and done' but pragmatic Connie Stone knew that likely would not be so. Allowing her breath to slow, she gave a soft nibble to Nyra's be-sunned earlobe and leaned back enough to focus on her eyes.
"And I you, Nyra."

She cleared her throat and smiled ruefully, remembering yet again the purpose behind her plans for the night. "As much as I'm enjoying keeping you nearly unclothed in the sand of the beach, we should get home, because I might do something that would get us arrested or very, very sandy. I've been nervous for almost two months to get everything in place... I really would like to share what I need to, with you."
Nyra 17 years ago
Knees shaking at the idea of making love on the beach she could only shake her head. Sand would be uncomfortable in delicate places should they actually get undressed. Still the thought was quite romantic and pooled heat in her core. Clearing her throat she understood the nerves and anxiety of sharing a creative work.

"I would really love to see your work. We have all night to make love and I would rather have your nerveousness gone for that."

Giving her lover a quick squeeze she took Connie's hand once more as they started back towards the car.