Reflecting (open)

Ysabel found herself rambling over the sprawling grounds of Heolfor, unconcerned with what direction she was headed in. A very light rain had started, which she didn't mind. Normally the idea of being caught out in the rain would have been uncomfortable at best, but in light of her argument with Ambrose, the small storm suited her melancholy mood.

A little furrow appeared on her brow as she ran over it again and again in her head. Very torn on the issue, it was bound to cause her some distress in nights to come. One the one hand, the part of her that was amiable and agreeable reprimanded her for ever having said such horrible things. But on the other, she knew that she had not been entirely off the mark. From the very first night she'd met Ambrose it was clear that he was carrying quite the burden, whether self-inflicted or not, and she didn't possibly see how he could ever move forward until he let it go.

The polite side of her said it was none of her business; she shouldn't pry into his affairs and his private feelings. And then the other half spoke up and pointed out that in light of how very entwined their feelings had become, perhaps it was more improper for her not to try to help.

A combination of soft sniffles, deep sighs, and tiny hiccups accompanied her as her light feet took her in the direction of Heolfor's stables. At least the rain helped mask the fact that she was crying. Stubborn pride had her glancing around for Ambrose, half hoping he'd be following her, knowing he wasn't going to, but just in case - she didn't want him to have the satisfaction of seeing her all teary-eyed.

Ducking in out of the gentle rain, Ysabel took a deep breath, met with the fragrance of fresh hay and leather. It was a mix of scents she knew from even before she was turned, something she was very happy to never have had to leave behind. Heolfor's stable was set well away from the Manor itself, and also well away from anyone who might be practising with a weapon at any time. The design was open and airy, incredibly modern, and very posh.

Her riding horses had arrived several weeks ago and she'd been so wrapped up in... things, that she hadn't spent nearly as much time with them as she'd have liked. They were well settled in though, and seeing as how her gown was already ruined by the rain, she didn't really see how a bit of horse hair or slobber would make the situation any worse.

She'd gone with musical terms for names, having a habit of trying to keep things neat in her head; thus her broodmares were named after gemstones and her saddle horses for music. Rummaging through her brush-box for treats (it would be rude to arrive empty-handed after so long), she made her way down the dimly-lit row of stalls with just the sounds of scraping hooves and whuffled horse-sighs for company, along with the patter of the light rain on the roof.

Elegy, Adagio, and Vivace, all three of her horses were there one after the other. She offered treats in equal amounts, but it was at Elegy's stall she actually stopped, resting her arms on the stall door and allowing the Friesian gelding to blow gently at her.

She needed this right now. It was easy, here at Heolfor, to forget that she was anywhere but home, and that at least was comforting.

Amberelle DeEspionne 17 years ago
As had become her habit these past few months, Amberelle was out wandering the Manor's grounds. She'd been spending almost every night learning the lands around her home like she once had the bayous of her youth. Tonight she had ventured pretty far away from the manor and the sudden showers caught her by suprise.

Seeing the stables not far ahead, the blonde made a dash for their cover before the rainfall increased. Trotting in she stopped to shake the moisture from her hair and brush it from her arms. Thankfully her black t-shirt, emblazened with BITE ME, and her denim cutoffs were just barely damp. Her hiking boots were water repellant so she sighed, happy to be out of the evening's rain.

Turning to look around the area, she spied a figure ahead, standing at one of the stalls. With a warm smile she spoke quietly, hoping she wasn't disturbing her clanmate.

Good evening.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel turned to see a familiar face in the soft lighting of the aisle. She stroked Elegy's nose idly, wiping her face, which was still a bit damp. From the rain. Her gown was rather wet but she did turn and make her best attempt at a curtsey.

"Hello," she said with a faint smile. "Amberelle, am I correct?"

She took in the other woman's attire and had to chuckle. "I like your shirt."
Returning her clanswoman's smile, Amberelle nodded. Oui, Amberelle. She studied the woman's face a moment and then her name came to the young Creole. Y..Ysabell, right? Good evening.

Glancing down at her shirt she chuckled and gave the Englishwoman a embarassed smile. Yeah, I like it. Walking down towards her, she glanced at the horse. He's beautiful. Did you come out to ride him tonight?
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel nodded at Amberelle's recollection of her own name. She seemed to be slightly self-conscious about her attire, but ysabel didn't see why... she was certainly far better dressed to be wandering around the grounds on a night like this than Ysabel, who had wafted out of the Manor without any heed to the weather, and was wearing thin little slippers. Besides, regardless of whether she would wear the shirt or not... she still found the irony fairly humorous and a laugh, even a little one, did her some good.

She rested her cheek against Elegy's nose. "No. I wandered out fairly aimlessly, actually. And found myself here. It seemed as good a place as any to weather out the storm."

She looked down at herself with a little blush, glad at least to not be dripping, but still fairly soaked nonetheless. "Looks like perhaps I needn't have bothered."

Ysabel moved aside a bit to let Amberelle touch Elegy if she liked, for the gelding was stretching his nose out to the new arrival, no doubt looking for more treats. She indicated the box outside the next stall over. "There are treats in there, if you're so inclined," she said. "This is Elegy."

Then, tilting her head, wondering who owned the other horses here in the stable, she asked, "Do you ride?"
Taking the invitation, Amberelle moved up to pet the curious gelding but stopped to grab a treat from the indicated container first. Hello Elegy, she said softly to him. She smiled and giggled as he eagerly took his treat and let her rub his head gently.

Ah I used to ride but it's been over a year, since before I moved to Nachton. She leaned a hip against the stall and continued to gently rub him behind the ear. If you don't mind me asking.. what sent you out wandering on a walk?
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel made a mental note to invite Amberelle for a ride at a later date, when they were properly dressed for it. Between her own wet skirts and Amberelle's cutoffs, she could almost imagine the blisters they would get if they attempted it now.

She frowned slightly at Amberelle's question. "I don't mind your asking..." she paused. She didn't know her clanswoman very well at all, was it really fair to burden the other woman with such weighty thoughts?

She came up with the most diplomatic answer possible. "How shall I put it? Do you know the phrase, 'it's going to get worse before it gets better?' I think I may be right in the middle of having caused the 'worse' part, with the intention to help with the 'better.' Not really a comfortable feeling, for anyone involved."

Ysabel had taken up a post on the other side of Elegy's broad head, and was dutifully scratching his other ear. Already the horse had lowered his head in ecstasy, sturdy jaw resting on the stall door.
A wry smile curled her lips and she nodded. Oh, oui I know that phrase all too well. It has been the story of my life. Well, before coming to stay here, she added. Which, she reflected to herself, was the best thing she'd ever done.

A little wistfully, she continued. S
ometimes, well sometimes it doesn't seem like it will ever get better.. I found, for me... You have to do something so terrifying, to get to the good. But.. the good makes it all worth it in the end. But that leap is just.. harder than you could imagine.

Leaving home, traveling across the country to meet a Clan she knew almost nothing about in an attempt to escape her Sire.. that had been the scariest thing she could have done short of.. Amberelle couldn't think of anything else.

And to help nudge someone else to it has to be hard work indeed. The young vampire considered how hard it must have been for her Grandmother to let her go. Shaking her head, she looked at her clanmate and studied her face.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel listened to Amberelle speak; it was obvious her clanmate had some experience on the topic. One never knew what lay beneath the surface with any pf their kin; a vampire quickly learned that appearances could be deceiving and the youngest child might easily be the oldest person in the room. So for all she knew, although they appeared the same age, Amberelle might well be speaking from centuries of experience.

Then again, Ysabel thought with some sadness, she too had centuries of experience. But she couldn't recall ever having had to deal with something like this. Or someone like Ambrose.

She moved away from Elegy and crossed in front of Amberelle, then flopped down somewhat limply on top of the closed brush-box between two of the stalls. The bucket of treats sat next to her and she absently stuffed one into Vivace's questing, mobile lips.

"I fear I may have made a mess out of a good thing," she said to Amberelle. "I felt it was my duty to bring things out into the open, try and resolve them, but perhaps I was simply wrong. And I may have caused more harm than good."

She sighed softly, glad her tears had passed on the walk out here. Ysabel hated crying. It made her nose feel like a melted icicle.

Turning her lips up in a rueful little grin of her own, she asked, "How long do you suppose a man can hold a grudge?"
She watched Ysabel move and noticed the obvious emotional distress she was in. Listening, Amberelle didn't react when she heard the woman's question even though it made her want to wince. "That's a tricky one if ever I've heard it.."

Giving the horse one last pat, she turned to face the other vampire. Sliding down the door, she drew her knees up and propped her chin on them as she wrapped her arms around to clasp them at her shins. She chose her words carefully.
I think... that depends. But if you were trying to help I am sure they will realize that. Or, you could always try talking to them again.

Closing her mouth Amby studied her and waited to see if she wanted to talk more about it.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel opened her mouth to speak, but surprisingly, nothing but a giggle came out. She tried to imagine going back to Ambrose's suite at any point and expecting to find the Voice of Reason waiting there for her. Perhaps Ambrose was spending this time in deep trance and meditaton, having realized the folly of his ways?

She didn't want to seem rude, though, and she realized her laughing, however shaky, might be mistaken exactly as that. The last thing Ysabel wanted to do was offend Amberelle, who seemed about as genuinely sweet a person as she'd met here in Nachton thus far. She looked over at the other woman. "I'm not laughing at you," she assured her. "It was... a funny visual. Please exuse me. I didn't mean to be rude. I don't suppose you know Ambrose Townsend, do you?"

Ysabel couldn't imagine anyone who knew Ambrose would have missed the ten-mile wide stubborn streak, but perhaps her perspective was slightly skewed from having spent so much time with him lately. Maybe he was quieter than she recalled.
Watching Ysabel, the last thing Amberelle had expected was a giggle. "Either she's going mad or she's incredibly rude," the Creole thought with a little annoyance. That quickly faded with the explanation offered though. A small "ahh " look lit her face at the name of the gentleman at the heart of their conversation.

Well, if the man is as... prickly.. as he appeared when we met about certain.. "How not to appear insensitive?", she searched quickly for a phrase. Certain "circumstances" then you may have a difficult time. Chuckling, she shook her head remembering the night she had met him along with Dawn in the foyer.

I met him just as he had arrived at the manor. Poor thing had the.. luck.. of Dawn being there to greet him. She's quite the character, I don't know if he's mentioned her.. I understand she made the mistake of trying to be nice and hoisting him up to carry him up the stairs to save him the effort. He was not amused as you can imagine!

Her topaz eyes twinked as she smiled at Ysabel. It had been a nice evening and Ambrose had made a very favorable impression on her, with being a gentleman and patient with Dawn so well.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel had sobered by now, although her eyes grew wide as Amberelle spoke. "She tried to... carry him? I almost wish I had been there to see that."

She could only guess at how disgruntled it would have made her lover (was he still?) to have his handicap thrust so obviously into his face. Ysabel shook her head. "Dawn has a way of washing over others and sweeping them along, does she not? I've only met her once or twice but she was rather... engaging."

She folded her hands into her lap, her mind revisiting her fight with Ambrose yet again in spite of the slight distraction Dawn's actions had provided. "He is every bit as prickly about his circumstances as you said," she nodded to Amberelle. "And even knowing that, I poked and prodded and brought up the matter of his joining the Hunt."

She gave a rueful little grin and said, "It was not as well-received as I might have hoped for."
Sitting up with suprise, she looked at her clanmate for a moment and considered her words. He got mad at you for that? Mon dieu.. how silly! Shaking her head at the touchiness of men, she sighed. Thinking about the few times she'd met the gruff but obviously nice vampire had Amberelle suddenly realizing something. With a slow smile she pointed at the Englishwoman and leaned towards her, a little excited.

It seems maybe the fates are smilling on you cousin! That first night I was telling you about? The three of us went to find Mai, for Dawn to make her introductions.. and yes, we were both "swept up" by her little quest, you have her pegged right.. But, I can tell you in the course of that conversation Elder Asahi even asked Ambrose to what order he belonged, and then to what he was called to when he admited no affiliation. The younger woman grinned. Do you know what he said?
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel was unaware that Ambrose had ever spoken of this same matter to anyone else. Her curiosity was instantly aroused as Amberelle leaned towards her. At the same time, she felt a stab of guilt. If the Elder of the Hunt had already spoken to Ambrose about this, obviously the issue had not been resolved and perhaps her meddling had been even more poorly-warranted than she'd previously thought.

Still, she thought, trying to come to her own defense, she was right on several points. First and foremost the fact that Ambrose was using his own disability as an excuse to not have to face the hard work and practice it would take to adjust to doing the things he wanted to do, in a new way. Ysabel furrowed her brow a bit and tilted her head at Amberelle.

"I had no idea he'd already been confronted," she said. "I can't imagine what he might have said to the Elder. Although, I am hoping it was said in a somewhat less amplified tone than he just used with me."

She imagined it would have had to be. Temper-driven as Ambrose could be sometimes, Ysabel could not for a moment believe that he would have gone off at the Elder like he'd done with her. The idea rankled a bit, along with the uncomfortable notion that he'd tried to steamroll her by being as intimidating as possible, but what had she really expected?
No no, not confronted.. that I could tell, the young blonde considered that for a moment before dismissing it, then continued. It was simply the topic of conversation at the time, with Dawn and then as he introduced himself she asked since it was already being discussed. And he was very respectful when he answered Mai, of course. He has wonderful manners that I have seen, quite the gentleman.

Well, she leaned in a little more, the elder asked him if he was called to the hunt and he said that he and his sire had had a huge fight over it and after that he'd been considering joining the Night. But then he said he really didn't feel drawn to it which was why he'd been putting it off.

Now, she leaned a little back and shifted to sitting indian style, personally I think you're right. I mean come on, Dawn said he was a cowboy.. You know, with wanted posters and all! "That was the gist of what I think she said, I think, lord knows with her sometimes." Could you picture a man like that doing the duties of the Rose?
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel listened with interest as Amberelle cemented her firm belief that Ambrose was not only best suited to, but only interested in, the Order of the Hunt. The woman's question made her smile softly with amusement.

"No. I cannot envision him being comfortable in the Rose. He prefers action to words... and generally, as I've observed, he prefers performing the actions before he bothers with the words."

Ysabel said that with another little laugh, before her face fell slightly. "It's just... I thought I was doing my own job, trying to encourage him to do what he wanted and not let his condition limit him. But I hurt him, I'm sure, and for that I wonder if I should have said anything at all."

She gave a little sigh. "I didn't want to cause him pain. Do you think I should have just let him be?"

Ysabel leaned forward and rested her chin in her hands, looking very much at the moment like a flustered eightteen year old and not a six-centuries-old vampire. She didn't much care though; at the moment she just wished she had a clear head.
I think that no matter how or when you'd brought it up, he would have been less than welcoming of the conversation. But, oui.. I think you did the right thing. Amberelle gave her what she hoped was a comforting look. The confrontation between them had obviously upset Ysabel a great deal, and it didn't seem fair at all to the young Creole for Ambrose to have done so.

If his heart wants to join the Hunt, he shouldn't let a small thing like a slower gait stop him. I mean come on! The very leader of the order is a young 'girl' who.. I was always told.. is blind. We are Anantya, we are the sum of our clanmates, we each have our strengths, but our weaknesses mean nothing because we are one, together we are more.. The blonde stopped and blushed, embarassed a little to have expressed her pro-Clan beliefs so bluntly. She did have a tendency to get carried away sometimes.

Ahem.. Umm.. Regaining some of her composure she moved past her own feelings and focused on the subject. No, I don't think leaving him be would have been right. She considered her own life and how she'd so quickly gotten into a rut and it had taken quite a jolt to help her take the first steps, she would have drug her feet "preparing" for much longer otherwise.

I'm probably the youngest person here, other than maybe Dawn.. but it's so easy to get yourself into a pattern and before you know it time's passed and you just keep going the same way and thinking the same things. It takes a little poke now and then to wake up and see things.. And let me say I think he was quite wrong to yell at you for trying to help! Her head nodded firmly at that.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Ysabel smiled again at Amberelle's description of the Elder of the Hunt. She made a good point. Ysabel wished she too had thought to remind Ambrose that Elder Mai was proof that anyone can be more than appearances would indicate.

The blush that followed on Amberelle's pretty face was just as attractive as the sentiment that ahd caused it, and Ysabel could only agree. Hoping to help allay some of her clanmate's embarrassment, she murmured, "No, you're absolutely right. Even when I'd just arrived from England I knew I was 'home' the moment I entered the Manor here. Families always stick together, make each other stronger."

Amberelle's reassurance was soothing, and she at least seemed far more secure in her decision that what Ysabel had done was correct. "Your youth comes in handier in this case, perhaps, than my own age," she said. If Amberelle were as young as she implied, she would be lucky in this situation, Ysabel felt. "I imagine you must be far more used to speaking your own mind. I was always taught not to disagree, particularly with men. And especially with... when they're..." Here she trailed off, not exactly how to define her relationship with Ambrose. The word 'boyfriend' still had too foreign a taste for her to actually use it in conversation, and besides, what if Ambrose was angry enough with her to not want her around any more?

She didn't think that was the case; she knew he cared for her a great deal. Perhaps that was also why her words had had such an effect on him. Ironic. Slightly unfair, too, maybe.

Unable to find the proper term after a moment, she simply settled for making a dismissive gesture with her hand and saying, "Men," in a slightly disgusted tone of voice. "They can be such... such asses sometimes!"

Any real venom that might have been in the unaccustomed profanity was dissolved by the fact that she clapped her hand over her mouth the moment the words were out.
Amberelle's expression never changed but there was a hint of bitterness in her tone as the young vampire tried to gently correct the perception Ysabel had of her. Sometimes you aren't allowed to live by the standards of society around you.. I was raised by very, very old fashioned people.. and a woman never disagreed, I understand exactly what you mean. "And it was usually safer to just do as you were told anyways." Sighing, she dismissed her own problematic past and focused in on Ysabel.

A little suprise showed when the realization that Ambrose and Ysabel were a little more than friends. But that quickly turned to a warm smile, and she was about to comment on how wonderful that was when she found herself bursting into a fit of giggles at the sight of her clanswoman clamping her hand over her mouth.

Asses indeed! Amberelle was still giggling a little but she shook it off. I think if you and he are... amoureux.. then you have far more right to say such things to help him than anyone else, short of his Sire maybe.

You know, my Grandmere told me once that a gentle whisper in a mans ear from his lover can carry more weight than the voice of his king.. I bet that's why you got such a strong reaction from him, since your opinion means a lot to him.
Ysabel 17 years ago
Young or not, Ysabel figured, Amberelle was certainly perceptive. The tone she used when speaking of her upbringing was one Ysabel herself could envision using, if she felt badly about her past. She briefly wondered just how similar their experiences had been in that regard, but if Amberelle's tone was to be the indicator that was, perhaps, a topic best left untouched for the time being. Ysabel simply inclined her head, acknowledging the truth of the woman's statement.

It was with great relief that she realized Amberelle had not been offended by her language and as she lowered her hand Ysabel laughed softly along with her clansmate. "I don't know that our relationship gives me the right to say such things," she said with a dry laugh. "Certainly, by Ambrose's way of thinking, I was being a nag. At the very least."

She kicked her heels idly against the brush box. "I wonder, when he cools down, if he'll still feel that way. I know I feel terrible for upsetting him so badly."

There was little sense in speculation though; Ysabel thought. She would find out in due course how angry Ambrose would be with her, and for how long. Once more she considered Amberelle's words and gave the other woman a smile. "I suppose I should be happy then, in a roundabout way, that he's so angry? That's a spin I never considered."

She said it in solemn tones but her eyes twinkled and her lips remained tilted up in amusement.