Dawn-speak

That had to have taken forever to type out lol

Ysabel 17 years ago
I'm still trying to figure most of it out. *sob*
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Nah, s'eezy. Jis typ't ou ly'a talk dow sou'n cali, an y'all set, foo.
Fallon 17 years ago
'sou'n cali'? dey d'nt tawk ike dis :P
Alec Devereaux 17 years ago
Easside, wha!
Fallon 17 years ago
Teeeeensy part of southern California
Alexandra 17 years ago
Umm ok.. you people don't mind if i don't get that at all do you, WAIT! I will start talking dutch here instead, now that would be funny
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Do yo thang!

The main point is that Dawn speaks a very localized regional dialect. There are as many as there are places. Sure, the greater language is english/spanish/chinese etc., but all of them might not understand what someone somewhere else is getting at. The insertion of someone with a active, dynamic relationship to the world (evidenced through her language) into a static realm of the unchanging (ok, slowly changing) world of the undead was designed to add a layer of discomfort with her interaction with older members of her species.

I'm glad the fogies have responded appropriately! :P

(runs and hides)

(side note - the inspiration for that aspect of Dawn was an old schoolmate of mine who studied the active change of language [linguist, obviously] and the ways that language resists and accepts different types of changes over time - sometimes ideas like that seep in and take hold before you can scrub them completely off )
Fallon 17 years ago
You do a fabulous job, Alec...she's not only a challenge to try and understand, but a delight as well, which makes the process a lot of fun.
Alec Devereaux 17 years ago
Good to hear. I'm glad she's not merely annoying, but brain food as well.

Helps me to get out of my regular thought box, too.
Aishe 17 years ago
Which, if you have ever spent any time chatting with J, is not only refreshing but frightening at the same time.
Alexandra 17 years ago
*Will try hard to understand what she's saying half the time* Strange people you americans