Looking for a nudge, push, or shove - (Kyle)

Nervous? Why in the hell was she nervous about interviewing a news paper reporter? He was just a man, and she wouldn't be surprised if he knew nothing, or at the very least a lot less than she already knew. She was a member of the Tacharan clan, for heaven sake...a familiar, if you must, with a lover who was a full fledged vampire. So why did she need to know if Kyle Evans knew anything about the vampires of Nachton?

Shay's book had hit a stall, or maybe it was just writer's block, pure and simple, but she needed SOMETHING to give it a jump start, so she could look to finishing it soon. It was already nearing a year since she'd started writing it, and she had given Lucile her word that it would be wrapped up before the year was out. That gave her till October, to make good on her word. A little over two months...not much time in the grand scheme of things, but she knew once she could get to writing again she'd be able to do it.

"So now where is this place?" Frustration hadn't yet crept into her voice, as Shay drove her Mercedes down Twelfth Street, looking for the place where Kyle had said he'd meet her. She was a little early, as she hated being late, and had made better time through traffic than she thought she would. Hitting her brakes hard, to avoid the idiot pulling out in front of her, she saw the address. Taking the just vacated spot, Shay parked, touched up her lip gloss, grabbed her purse and keys, and shut the door behind her. Hitting the 'lock' button on her keyring, the familiar 'beep beep' sounded, and she walked towards the building.

Dusk was just fading, but it wasn't so dark that she couldn't read the numbers over the door to the coffee shop. The sign naming the little diner was another matter, with half of the neon out. From a distance the place looked like it was named 'SA D S' but when she was close enough she could see it read 'SANDY's'.

"Not the most prestigious place on the street, but I doubt I'll get ptomaine."

Pulling open the door she looked at the people sitting along the counter, and in the booths, and recognized Kyle from his byline picture that she had seen in the paper a few months back. Dressed in a short, beige linen skirt, with a brown sleeveless blouse tucked in and a tiny brown belt around her waist, Shay looked comfortable but not sloppy - stylish but not too dressy, and more importantly in the evening heat, she looked cool. Her brown heeled sandals clicked against the bottoms of her feet as she walked on the linoleum floor, and a faint scent of her cologne wafted around her as she moved. Her hair was twisted up the back of her head, and held in place with a clip, and her face held very little makeup...a tad of mascara, and gloss. She wasn't out to seduce, or even impress really...she merely wanted a nudge, and hoped Kyle Evans would give it to her.

"Hello Mr. Evans, I'm Shay O'Mannon, it's nice to finally meet you." She extended her hand to the man sitting at the booth, and smiled. Her nerves were finally calm, and she couldn't remember now why she'd been flustered in the first place.

"Thank you for meeting with me."

Kyle Evans 17 years ago
Stepping out of the taxi, Kyle handed the cabbie the fare plus a tip and weaved in and out of the pedestrian traffic. He was walking to meet a woman, Shay O'Mannon at a rather disgusting greasy spoon that had magnificient hamburgers. Not that he was hungry for one - not that he was hungry for anything. Still, he knew he'd want one in a bad way right about now. He had left to go a little early so he could have that disgusting hamburger before their appointment.

Speaking of their appointment, he found it interesting that an author would want to interview a reporter. Odds are it was about his conspiracy theories, which were no longer theories but that was besides the point now, wasn't it?

Turning into Sandy's, he walked up to the counter and slapped his hand on the counter. 'Hey,' he said to the cook behind the server's window. The cook peered out at him and waved his spatula. With a nod back, he walked to an empty table and sat down. Last time he had been there he had ran into some girl. A cop or something. Ah well. Kyle sat for a few moments, thinking about how hungry he probably was when his burger came. Looking at it still made him salivate.

Throwing his tie over his shoulder, he eagerly picked up his hamburger when a blonde approached him.

"Hello Mr. Evans, I'm Shay O'Mannon, it's nice to finally meet you. "Thank you for meeting with me."

With a frown, he set down his hamburger and stood.

'Miss O'Mannon. Pleasure.' He shook her hand and offered her a seat.
Shay 17 years ago
"Please, call me Shay? And don't let me stop you...go ahead and eat."

i]She smiled at him, hoping he would continue with his meal. She hoped if he was like a lot of men, he might be more agreeable on a full stomach. Not that he had shown her any degree of discordance in the two seconds she'd been standing there. The frown he'd shown wasn't a huge affront, and she didn't even have cause to feel it was directed at her. But on the off chance he was a bit disturbed by her early appearance, it would be to her benefit to wait for him to finish.

Sitting down across from him, she pulled a micro-recorder from her purse but set it down without turning it on. The waitress appeared, and Shay ordered a cup of black coffee, wishing it was a mocha, but knowing this kind of place wouldn't have the frothing machine needed. When the waitress left again, Shay clasped her hands on the table, and watched Kyle Evans.[/i]

"I know my request to talk to you was a little cryptic, so maybe if I give you some background into the 'why' I wanted to meet you, it will help explain?"

Shay knew Mr. Evans had been at the Hillman raid, and he had been hurt there. Simon had explained that during the Tacharan meeting she'd attended with Alexi. It was then that she got the bug to talk to the man, but knew she couldn't do so while he was still injured. With all the time that had now passed, he didn't look any the worse for wear, and she hoped his psyche had healed as well.

What Shay didn't know was how much Mr. Evans was aware of, with regards to Tacharan, and the people who belonged to that clan. She knew better than to go talking to someone who was a complete stranger about clan details, even if Simon had implied that Kyle had been taken under Simon's wing. One thing didn't necessarily mean that Kyle was privy to all Tacharan knowledge.

What was difficult for Shay to remember was that she actually was a member of the clan. Being that her only tie was through Alexi, and between the two of them they didn't hold to clan edicts with regards to familiars, she had never formed any bond with the organization. To Shay it was like a club that Alexi belonged to...like he Elks or Masons, and her interests only became evident when she was attending some function or another with him.

So she was more than aware to couch her words wisely, as she attempted to find out just what Mr. Evans knew.

"I'm currently writing a fictional novel, and the subject matter is vampires. Since coming to Nachton I've heard some things, and read some things, that have led me to believe you might have some thoughts on the subject. And before you grow too concerned, again I must stress my book is a work of complete fiction. However, that said, I truly feel that in order to make a book enjoyable, it must be as realistic as possible. To draw the reader into the story, you must make the world you create believable. So...to do this I need to secure as much information about the vampire world as I can."

Pausing to give him time to think,as well as a little bit for effect, Shay continued.

"Through certain sources, I'm aware that you were at the Hillman disaster, and that you were injured there...I'm sorry of your suffering, but you're looking healthy and well to me now, so may I assume you are fully recovered?"

And he did look good, or to Shay he did, as she was comparing him now, with his older photo and found little difference.

"But getting back to Hillman, and your job on the newspaper...several of your articles were pretty scathing when it came to implying things going on in and around Nachton. I was hoping you might be able to enlighten me to how you came by your opinions?"

Holding up the tape recorder she tipped it towards him, and silently questioned his permission to use it.

(opinion on his looks will be changed if incorrect)
Shay 17 years ago

She smiled at him, hoping he would continue with his meal. She hoped if he was like a lot of men, he might be more agreeable on a full stomach. Not that he had shown her any degree of discordance in the two seconds she'd been standing there. The frown he'd shown wasn't a huge affront, and she didn't even have cause to feel it was directed at her. But on the off chance he was a bit disturbed by her early appearance, it would be to her benefit to wait for him to finish.

Sitting down across from him, she pulled a micro-recorder from her purse but set it down without turning it on. The waitress appeared, and Shay ordered a cup of black coffee, wishing it was a mocha, but knowing this kind of place wouldn't have the frothing machine needed. When the waitress left again, Shay clasped her hands on the table, and watched Kyle Evans.

"I know my request to talk to you was a little cryptic, so maybe if I give you some background into the 'why' I wanted to meet you, it will help explain?"

Shay knew Mr. Evans had been at the Hillman raid, and he had been hurt there. Simon had explained that during the Tacharan meeting she'd attended with Alexi. It was then that she got the bug to talk to the man, but knew she couldn't do so while he was still injured. With all the time that had now passed, he didn't look any the worse for wear, and she hoped his psyche had healed as well.

What Shay didn't know was how much Mr. Evans was aware of, with regards to Tacharan, and the people who belonged to that clan. She knew better than to go talking to someone who was a complete stranger about clan details, even if Simon had implied that Kyle had been taken under Simon's wing. One thing didn't necessarily mean that Kyle was privy to all Tacharan knowledge.

What was difficult for Shay to remember was that she actually was a member of the clan. Being that her only tie was through Alexi, and between the two of them they didn't hold to clan edicts with regards to familiars, she had never formed any bond with the organization. To Shay it was like a club that Alexi belonged to...like he Elks or Masons, and her interests only became evident when she was attending some function or another with him.

So she was more than aware to couch her words wisely, as she attempted to find out just what Mr. Evans knew.

"I'm currently writing a fictional novel, and the subject matter is vampires. Since coming to Nachton I've heard some things, and read some things, that have led me to believe you might have some thoughts on the subject. And before you grow too concerned, again I must stress my book is a work of complete fiction. However, that said, I truly feel that in order to make a book enjoyable, it must be as realistic as possible. To draw the reader into the story, you must make the world you create believable. So...to do this I need to secure as much information about the vampire world as I can."

Pausing to give him time to think,as well as a little bit for effect, Shay continued.

"Through certain sources, I'm aware that you were at the Hillman disaster, and that you were injured there...I'm sorry of your suffering, but you're looking healthy and well to me now, so may I assume you are fully recovered?"

And he did look good, or to Shay he did, as she was comparing him now, with his older photo and found little difference.

"But getting back to Hillman, and your job on the newspaper...several of your articles were pretty scathing when it came to implying things going on in and around Nachton. I was hoping you might be able to enlighten me to how you came by your opinions?"

Holding up the tape recorder she tipped it towards him, and silently questioned his permission to use it.

(opinion on his looks will be changed if incorrect)
Kyle Evans 17 years ago

He was taking his first bite when she offered. Kyle shuddered and smiled as he chewed on the medium rare cheeseburger with everything, minus pickles. Bits of mayo and ketchup squirted out and onto the corner of his mouth and transferred onto his fingers. Christ it was a messy meal and he made no apologies as he engulfed his burger.

Bobbing his head out of delight, he figured Ms. O'Mannon took it as an affirmative and he listened as she contined on.

He paused as he brought the hamburger back up to his mouth for another bite. Wait, she's writing about book about a race of beings who will kill to keep their secret. Kyle looked at her over the top of his burger.

Snorting, he gave her an incredulous look and put his burger down, wiping his hands. The waitress came by just then bringing his usual drink. His eyes caught the glistening of sweat running down the cold frosted mug of beer. If Shay said anything else, he didn't hear it. Setting the beer on the table, he felt his mouth dry up.

'...No.' Shay had picked up her tape recorder and he noticed it. 'Oh, no that's fine.' He caught the waitress as she started to walk away. 'I'm good actually, could I get a water?'

With narrowed eyes Kyle watched the waitress shrug and take his beer back with her towards the kitchen. He felt his ears plug, hearing that weird vacuumed silence that was so quiet yet loud at the same time. He had turned completely around, watching the beer - as if it had sprouted legs and was waving goodbye to him. It took everything to look away and turn back around. This was embarassing, he thought. God once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. Clearing his throat, he answered Shay's questions.

'Listen lady, if you heard about the raid...if you know anything about what I write, you should know that I'm basically viewed as a hack conspiracy theorist. Card holding creepy guy in some circles, but messiah of truth in others. I have t-shirts. Why do I think there are vampires?' He was currently fucking one, that was a good tip off.

'About 10 years ago I followed a string of serial murders across country. From Vegas to here, the victims were found drained of blood. No teeth marks or anything like that, just completely drained. No blood anywhere and it wasn't as if these people were killed elsewhere, there just wasn't any blood. Period.'

'So I follow the trail to Nachton. Now, we've all read enough Anne Rice and Stephen King books to know there are some people that believe in monsters. That serial murderer was never found, but I happened on a fountain of ideas.' Kyle held his hands up like he was holding a banner, 'VAMPIRES IN NACHTON. I'm not ashamed to say, people eat that shit up. I have a nice condo, nice clothes and, at the time, all the booze I could possibly want.'

Kyle picked up his burger again, finishing it off as the waitress brought back his glass of water. 'That's how I came by my opinions. The all mighty dollar, my dear.'
Shay 17 years ago
When Mr. Evans ordered a beer, and then changed his mind it didn't even cause Shay to think twice; however, when he seemed to want to change his mind yet again, she had to wonder if he had some reason for not indulging.

But that wasn't why she was there, so she didn't comment. It wasn't her business anyway, and she wasn't much of the nursing type. And since he was now addressing her question, the other issue was totally forgotten.

"Are you telling me you started believing, and writing based on the cases you saw, but ended up no longer believing yet perpetuating your theories for the money?"

Shay didn't buy into his answer at all. Chances were he had become more involved with the vampire clan, or maybe even his own special vampire, as she had, and was now back peddling to protect them. Of course he was entitled, she would have done the same, no doubt had she been caught in a similar situation. At least she had a handle on what had brought him to Nachton in the first place, and could use that idea in her story. The comment about 'booze' was enlightening as well, and may have cleared up the little matter of the beer. With everything he had reportedly been through, she had to admire the guy for going dry now. She had no idea really, as to the details of how he was tortured at the Hillman compound, or who was responsible, but she had ideas. Her main thought, of course, was that Ellis had been involved. But again, this was just Shay's theory based on observations she'd made of the woman, along with rumors of what had been going on at Hillman, prior to the explosion.

"And I don't believe you're a hack Mr. Evans, contrary to what popular belief may be. A hack doesn't stay in business as a writer long. To be a successful writer you need a following...someone out there needs to believe what you're saying and buy into it. You've been around too long just here in Nachton, to be pulling ideas out of your a...of thin air.

Besides that...I know for a fact that you know a mutual acquaintance...Simon Huntington. Are you honestly going to tell me that when he took you in after the raid, you up and quit investigating your theories?"

She really didn't want to put him on the defensive, and had already gotten more information from him than she might have expected to. But she was curious now, to know just what he had found out, and how he was dealing with it. As far as she knew he was still human, as she was, and it also didn't hurt to have a few other humans around in the know, in case something happened. And his reactions to what he might have found out would be valuable to her as well. Her own reactions had been useful, but seeing things through another's eyes almost always gave a different slant to things.
Kyle Evans 17 years ago
There it is.

He was never one for name dropping...actually that's a lie, he always dropped names when he could; many a woman in his bed it got him, that's for sure. But that name. Any other name but that one. The bells went off in his head and he found it odd that the hairs on the back of his neck were on end. No, this was bad.

Kyle struggled with her name, Shay O'Mannon. It just didn't ring a bell but the face.... Kyle pointed at Shay suddenly. It hit him like a jack hammer between the eyes. 'The ball. You were at the Mayor's ball. YOU.' He kept pointing his finger at her. When Simon stood up, sensing the bomb somewhere in the mansion or whatever the hell he was doing.

'You were there at the table with the others. Right before the bomb went off.' Then he started to laugh, leaning foward letting out a rather large 'HA'. 'What the hell are you -thinking-? Writing a book? A 'fictional' book?' Kyle put air quotes around the word fictional, emphasizing it as well as mocking it.

'You must be out of your mind.' He shook his head, laughing. In total disbelief, he looked at Shay. How many times did Nova, technically his girlfriend if not just his lover, told him not to talk? Crossing his arms he leaned forward. 'You realize if you even come close to describing them,' he continued to laugh, rather cruely. 'Whew, you got some that clank, little lady.'
Shay 17 years ago
Waiting for a completely different response, Shay nearly choked on her coffee when he became animated, began poking his finger at her, and then laughed. It was so unexpected that she actually did jump in her seat. But his reaction gave way to more information, and proved her visit with him was turning out really well.

His concern was understandable. He didn't know her, even if they had met once several months ago, on that crazy night of the ball. So why would he assume that she knew what she was doing? And it only slightly surprised her to be reminded that she had been at the same table with him that night. So much had gone on, and they hadn't been formally introduced...but thinking back she did recall seeing him briefly.

"Calm down Mr. Evans...I'm not a complete idiot. Those who read my story, even those who know about what's going on here in Nachton, won't see anything of Nachton in my book. It is fictional, in that the characters don't really exists, and to my knowledge the experiences never have either. Although on that score I will have to admit it is within the realm of possibilities that they may have. The point is I'm NOT a hack Mr. Evans, and I would never do anything to put the people of Nachton in jeopardy."

Shay was getting a tad irritated with his attitude towards her. While he may not know her well enough to trust her, he also didn't know her well enough to assume that she was a threat to anyone either.

"Why do you suppose my book will be any more of a threat than those by Rice, or King, or Hamilton or any other author who writes about vampires? It's not like authors haven't been doing so for years."

As his laughter took on an edge, Shay decided maybe the interview was over. If Kyle Evans continued to treat her like a lunatic, chances were any further useful information wouldn't be forthcoming. So there went her reason for being there.

"Shall I conclude then, by your tone and comments, that you have nothing left to discuss with me?"
Kyle Evans 17 years ago
Again he shrugged at her, his expression not at all understanding, barely interested and full of sarcasm. 'Oh no, this is a great idea! No one in the secret society', insert sarcastic wink, 'will EVER put two and two together and think that you're using private information in your book. How did you ever get involved with them? Was it by choice? I sure as hell didn't have one.'

Whether she chose or not to put her neck, and possibly her vampire's - she must have one, on the line, it didn't concern him. He wasn't about to tell her anything that he knew, but it seemed she knew more and was in the know longer as well. Maybe she was trying to find another human to relate to, unfortunately Kyle Evans was not that human, so to speak.
Shay 17 years ago
Shay looked at him with a touch of pity. Kyle Evans appeared to her, to be not only a sarcastic, unhappy man, but one who was both scared of the clan, and not happy to be associated with it. It occurred to her then to wonder why he was, and how it came to be that he had no say in the matter.

But she wouldn't waste either of their time by asking him. He had begun asking her questions, instead of answering them, and that was not the purpose of her visit.

"I'm sorry Mr. Evans. I had thought that you, being a writer, would understand; however, it appears that your style of writing is so far different from mine, that you can't wrap your mind around the concept of fiction. I'm a good writer Mr. Evans. I've had two books published already, and they've both done exceedingly well with critics as well as the public, and they were both works of fiction, based on fact. And if people of position in the LAPD and LA City government couldn't discern their parts in my book, I can't believe a few vampires in the city of Nachton will either. But I'll let that alone for now, as I don't care to try and convince you of something when you're mind appears already made up."

Shay had managed to remain calm. and to keep her voice lowered, but she was pretty sure he would sense her frustration with the way the meeting had turned. She doubted he cared though, and that was fine with her.

"I did choose to belong to the clan, because someone I care deeply about belongs. Have you ever cared that deeply about someone, Mr. Evans?"

Turning off the recorder, Shay put it back into her purse, and pulled out enough money to cover the dinner and coffee, plus tip. After all, he had shown up at her request...it was the least she could do.

Scooting over to the edge of the seat, preparing to leave, Shay took a couple deep breaths. As it turned out she was a little more irritated than she thought, and didn't want to fall on her face walking out the door.

"You probably won't care, but as a courtesy I'll send you a copy of my book once it's published. Feel free to use it as a door stop, kindling, or whatever your heart desires. But before you trash it, you might also read it, and see how it is a person can take what's real and change it into what's not. It's a concept that should be more than a little familiar to you, whether you care to admit it or not."

And with that she stood.

"It was still nice meeting you Mr. Evans." Shay turned towards the door.

(out pending responses)
Kyle Evans 17 years ago
With a sardonic grin, Kyle couldn't help but get this woman's goat. She seemed sanctimonious yet innocent at the same time. A writer, yes but she was one of those writers...prolific and artistic. Lots of 'ics'. His response to him having ever cared for anyone began with a hearty snort.

'Yes, Ms. O'Mannon. I've cared very deeply for someone. Myself. And to say that you're not thinking of yourself would be a lie. Why write a book unless you wanted someone to hear your story? People hear my story, lady. They're just not picky with their form of entertainment...or truths. And even if I wanted to tell the truth about them, I wouldn't, because my ass means more to me than my wallet.'

He added as an afterthought,
'And if this person is so important, why write something that could jeopardize them along with you? But then I've made my money, Ms. O'Mannon. Good luck to you in earning yours on the backs of a truth that will turn around and snap your neck in a heartbeat.'

Ok that last part was uncalled for, but he was just being honest and trying to help her. It seemed pointless now to tell her the subtle threats he had gotten about his articles. How he was part of something whether he liked it or not. That his good deed did not go unpunished. She'd figure it out on her own, but hopefully before waking up dead.

'Good day, Ms. O'Mannon - oh and thanks for the burger.' He gave her a toothfilled smile as he reached for her water and gulped it half empty. Or was that half full?

((OOC Out))