Building a Team

Alec had done more reading in the last 48 hours than he recalled doing at any other time. He'd read some teaching manuals and threw most of it out. That wouldn't fly with hardened killers. Credibility went farther with that type than proper procedure. That limited his pool of applicants from folk that had made the Hillman run and knew that he was at least somewhat capable in the body count arena, people chomping at the bit for action and would follow anyone, or psychopaths who were so interested in killing that they just wanted off of their chains. And he had to teach them.

Taking another sip of his tequila, he shook his head. He'd read files upon files of information on clansmates and had no idea how to proceed. He already knew he had a good crop of scouts, which he'd head and train with easily. Blenders and spotters tended to be like minded - low risk to self, don't fight fair, etc.. His short list was mostly comprised of assassins and thieves - an Alexandra, a recent arrival, Raven, who'd been active in the Northeast longer than Alec had been alive and Cari, a petty criminal that had happened to inherit the perfect skills for the job.

His hit squad was a bit more...diverse. Normally he'd have gone straight to Mathias for advice here, but he'd skipped, and his allegiance was still in flux. So he was left with his inexpert opinion. Most of them were also former assassins, though of a heavier handed school, and ex-military from a variety of eras. A pair of demolitions folk would be invited for round one...though he felt funny not asking Ginnie along directly. She'd been so wrapped up in what she'd been working on recently, as had he, that they hadn't seen as much of each other as he would have liked. He felt a bit guilty about not mentioning it sooner, but their shared time had mostly been asleep. He'd have to fix that.

On paper, Lotus or Val could make a good lead for the hit squad. He'd not seen Lotus around in awhile, but assassins were like that. It didn't mean she wasn't there, just not chatting in the hallways. Val was around, but he still didn't know her well. Perhaps he should sound her out. Likewise, he was thinking about asking Dayle in as his communications and operations head for missions...but that was mostly because she'd inherited Carol's position. He'd have to sound her out, too. The techs were easy to sound out, and most were not big Ellis supporters, so that branch of the clan hadn't been as heavily affected as the merc squads.

And he had to train the new crop.

Taking another sip, he congratulated himself on having a skeleton crew together already. He'd have to chat with each of them to see if they were interested in working together...typically the problem with both assassins and thieves...while he trained up some more hitters.

Alec Devereaux 17 years ago
Another day, another step. He'd managed to find a crop of likely recruits. Apparently there was already a rumor circulating that someone was starting up merc training...but that it would have a distinctly different flavor this time around. Thinking back to his own, Alec pondered.

It had been...three years ago. His first trip to Nachton. His formal training session. Gaia had been in true form that day. All white leather, hardassed as hell. Four had died that day - one human to her sai for insubordination, another human in hand to hand with a vampire who couldn't control his bloodlust, said vampire when Gaia gave the order to subdue that vampire and another human who wasn't quick enough with his subduing technique. Alec'd kept from getting involved much, which earned him a meeting with her tonfa and the label of Coward for the rest of his training sessions. The days had progressed as such - multiple deaths, majority wounded, wash, rinse, repeat. Occasionally Ellis would come and laugh, Simon to watch, statuesque in his posture.

Alec'd only killed one individual during his training, a fact that had earned him low marks - another vampire who tried to bite him. The luster had drawn a lot of blood on him and lost it, but Alec slipped away. Before the freak had a chance to get taken down by everyone else, Alec was back in and slit his throat with the woman's combat knives she'd discarded before leaving them in her eyes. Only Gaia, with her knowledge of blending, had known what Alec was up to when he rolled away behind a pile of crates. It earned him his only compliment from the woman - "Nice work, assassin. But still a coward's move." She'd flogged him later.

Of those that survived, the mortality rate was low among the vampires, the turn rate high among the humans. Her results were indisputable, but she'd also been a juggernaut with a good deal of years behind her. He couldn't use the same strong-arm techniques on his newbies, could he? Hm...yes. Yes he could. The combination of his perception and blending would ensure no one got the drop on him, and he'd have the drop on anyone. Obviously there was no rule the trained had to play fair.

Such a high mortality rate among vampiric trainees bothered him, though. That'd change.

He'd found a set of firearm, mêlée and hand to hand trainers that would be capable for initial training - basics that everyone went through, from the techies and lab rats to the hardcore hitters. After that would be practical applications, and impromptu hunts. False hunts as well. Misdirection tactics. Training in vampiric capabilities led by someone a bit older with the skill...almost like a mentorship. It still amazed him how little some other vampires pushed their natural boons. That'd change.

He still had no idea how to cultivate a hard assed image. Capable, skilled, creepy...sure. Hardassed...not so much. Maybe it'd be natural after seeing his first group of striplings come in with no idea how much stronger they were than the humans in their company.

So...the training protocol was set, the first team and trainers outlined.

"I might just pull this off. Time for a drink."

((ooc: Memory of Gaia used without permission as she is currently inactive - PM me if it isn't an accurate representation))
Mathias 17 years ago
His return to the Domicile was a quiet one - fitting since his exit was the same. Shay was working on her book and Mathias decided to get out for a bit.

No need to check in, and he did not feel the urge to see Simon just yet. He would,of course,but for now Mathias wanted to speak with Alec. He had left without a word to anyone and Mathias was curious how the younger vampire was getting along. Plus,Mathias considered him to be a friend and felt some remorse at not saying goodbye.

Inwardly cursing himself for not checking to see if Alec was even in, Mathias knocked on Alec's door.

"Alec? Are you in? It's Mathias"
Frowning, Alec checked his security feed. Mathias? He'd dropped off the planet - probably meant he'd have a story to tell. Alec sure as hell did, but he'd let the old man go first. Switching off the countermeasures, he opened the door.

"Sweatervest! How's it going? Long time no...ANYTHING."

Making a face of mock disapproval, he stepped aside, allowing Mathias into his "office" - his old room. The entry was still set up as a bedroom, which was probably a bit odd to Mathias, with the large curtain separating it from the workroom.

"So...tell me all about the honeymoon or soul searching or whatever it was - I'm all ears. I'll get the vodka while you get started. Then I'll be ears, hands and mouth, but I'll still pay attention."

Walking through the curtain, Alec went to the "kitchen" which was more of a bar these days, and grabbed the only properly chilled vodka - it wasn't anything super, but not terrible, either. Sedan-class vodka. Coming back through the curtain, he plopped down in one of his three chairs in the bedroom - the one at the desk. It was the least comfortable for most people, as it contoured to his rather bony ass...which made it quite comfortable for him.
Ginnie 17 years ago
Ginnie had six large dark green briefcases, or small suitcases depending on the angle, in her arms as she sort of walked/hobbled down the hall. It wasn't that they were heavy, since she could lift a car, they were just awkward. She hoped Alec's door was set to her biometrics, because there would be no knocking and she never visited his personal space as she'd never really had occasion.

At this point she just needed his orders out of her lab and she rather enjoyed the whole hand delivery thing to the people that mattered to her. Ok so the whole Clan mattered, but only a few warranted her personal attention, ok that was a better was to look at it. She really was trying to be a little less self-centered, not that she was very successful, but she tried.

Ginnie made it to the door and it did not whoosh open for her.
"Crap." She sighed and shifted to the side so that her voice would carry to the terminal.

"Computer, alert occupant to my presence."

The computer beeped at her and she waited for Alec to answer and trying really hard not to get impatient as she shifted her cases around.
Mathias 17 years ago
Mathias chuckled. Sweatervest - that was definitely his most interesting nickname. Following Alec into the interior of the apartment,he noted that while it looked like a bedroom, it did not have a 'lived in' feel to it. Hmm..would seem he and Ginnie were still an item. But most interesting was the hue - completely monochrome - no color to be seen. Interesting,he thought and made note to ask Alec about that sometime.

He sat down and sighed. Where to begin? The beginning is always a good start -he reminded himself.
"Yes..about the disappearance...I owe you an apology. I left Simon a note and should have told you. With Ellis gone,the charges against her and some things that were happening to Shay, I felt adrift...unsure of my place in the clan or with her. It is not the easiest thing to love a mortal,Alec. To know with almost absolute certainty that you will outlive them. And Ellis brought me into Tacharan, her death left me with a sense of abandonment, as silly as that may sound."

He accepted the drink from Alec, lifting the glass and toasting them both.
"Schast'ya i zdorov'ya!"

"So I decided needed to get away, refresh my mind and soul as it were. See some of the places that had shaped me. First I went to Vienna,where I.." He paused for a moment,amazed at how it still could bother him "Where I set upon the path that led me to Tacharan. It is still a wonderful city,but somehow it left me..well something was missing. The same with Kiev, birthplace of my family and home to Varangians and Kiev Rus,whose blood flows in my veins."

" And I was sitting in a little club,listening to some gods awful karaoke - and it hit me. All this was empty because I did not have Shay to share it with." He chuckled at the memory of his epiphany " So I called her and put her on the first flight out. I showed her some of the sights..once we left the hotel that is."

He sipped the vodka..it was good,not great but definitely drinkable. "This is good Alec - I'd almost think you were Russian! Anyway, the next and final place was Constantinople - you'd know it as Istanbul. I was born there,you know - my mother was sent as a missionary from Vladimir the Baptizer and my father joined the Varangian Guard - something I would one day do as well. The journey was wonderful Alec, made more so because I had the love of a wonderful woman to share it with. It was precisely what I needed - if I did not totally figure out my place in the world I at least have a better understanding of it - and that my friend is good enough!"

He leaned back in the chair and smiled. " Well,that is my tale tovarisch - what has been going on with you?"
Listening, albeit confusedly, Alec nodded. Though curious about what was going on with Shay that would unseat Mathias, he left it alone. Alec was finding that it was generally good policy NOT to pry into people's love lives - let them volunteer information before plumbing those depths. Especially with regard to sensitive issues. Smiling, something else struck Alec - and he mentioned it.

"Christ, Mathias, you've seen more of the world in the last few months than I've seen in my entire memory. It is good to hear that you started running only to come full circle, though. Laps are good exercise, and while I take mine on a much smaller circuit, you're in a bit better shape than I am. Good on ya."

Checking the security feed as his announcement tone went off - a flat, uninteresting sound, his face lit up. Ginnie, and it looked like she had presents. The night just kept getting better. Opening the door, he stepped through.

"Can I help with those, love?"

Coming back in, he began to answer Mathias' question.

"At first, things just chugged along - worked on my pet projects and hobbies, did some restoration on a house here...oh, cracked that fucking optical scanner, finally. Then in the last few days things have...well, kind of been piled on. Both are still in the planning phase, so hush-hush, but I'm supposed to start a new crop of mercs for training and investigate the Hillman ruins. Digging through ruins is more suited to my skills, but I imagine Simon asked me to take Gaia's place for a reason. I just wish I knew what it was."

Flopping down into his chair, he beamed at Ginnie.

"So...what's in the little green boxes?"
Ginnie 17 years ago
Ginnie gladly gave half her load to Alec and set the rest down just inside the door and took a good look around. IT was oddly enough exactly what she'd expected. She'd never be able to explain how, but it was there nonetheless. She smiled at Mathias and decided then and there it was none of her damn business where the hell he'd been.

"Hey Mathias glad to see you back."

Ginnie folded herself on the floor in the middle of the room, halfway between Alec and Mathias so that she could look at them both at the same time.

"Simon has big plans for you, my love, big plans. He just doesn't like to tell anyone what they are."

She grinned at Alec's question and brought to of the cases to her with her mind. Then it dawned on her that she could have carried them here telepathically and she fought not to smack herself in the head as she set the cases in front of her.

"Well these two have the eye scanners with small C4 bombs attached should they be breached they will set of a three second timer that will detonate two square centimeters of compound and take out whoever is in a six foot radius. Let me tell you something, love, these were a pain in the ass to design and create, nearly killed two of my flunkies in the process, but the light show is totally worth it."

She slid them across the floor toward him, with a broad grin on her face.

"The rest are just the other covert explosives you ordered. As well as three of the new guns I just designed."
Carol 17 years ago
'I would imagine it's because he trusts you.'

Carol was leaning against the open door frame as Alec sat back down onto his chair. With a little wave, she greeted Mathias and threw a wink at Ginnie.

'Welcome back, Mathias.' She wasn't sure what to make of his return, much less his departure. It would be interesting to see his reaction to the recent changes and additions to the clan. Simon didn't seem to put any stock in his suspicions over Ellis' death. She gathered her lover had other things on his mind to worry about, like the upcoming council meeting. In any case...

Carol picked at her casual outfit; pink capri cotton pants and a matching halter top with flower eyelets. Dressing down now wasn't a luxury anymore since Dayle took over, but it had been quiet in the Domicile as of late anyhow. She spends her time eating vanilla special K and working on her marksmanship. Simon and his long range fetish, Carol rolled her eyes mentally.

'I hope y'all don't mind me peeking in. I saw the open door and couldn't resist a little socializing.'
"Mmmm...I love it when you talk all sexy like that. Lemme see those."

Popping off of his chair to inspect the new optical scanners, Alec gave her a quick peck on the cheek. Lifting her new work, he smiled at it. It would look identical when installed, but if the proper protocol wasn't observed wouldn't give the standard lockout and apology, it'd make a fine red mist of the intruder's head. Frowning a bit, he looked over how he'd crack it...then realized he had guests. He'd play with them later. Checking the explosives, he wasn't surprised to find them perfect. Sliding out one of the guns, he smiled - perfectly balanced, non-reflective, non-metallic and silenced.

"I swear you're the perfect woman. Thank you."

Returning once again to the here and now, Alec considered the other statement she'd made, and waved to Carol as she popped in, gesturing to the chair he'd abandoned to join Ginnie on the floor with his new loot.

"Now I'm going to have to have a talk with him if he's getting into the habit of trusting thieves, too! Ah well. I'll figure out what I've got to do. I'm told that I'm a pretty smart cookie sometimes. Maybe it'll do me some good and I'll figure out what he REALLY wants before I wind up dead. Always a good consolation prize. If nothing else the whole training thing is a good creative exercise."

Turning back to Mathias, he asked

"So...want to come on the field trip with the kiddies as a chaperon when we dig about the Hillman ruins? It'll be fun. Ok, probably not. But you never know! If it is boring we can take the kids to a bar for extra credit or something afterward."
Mathias 17 years ago
Mathias couldn't help but smile. Alec wasn't the stereotypical "warrior", but Mathias knew all too well his abilities. Alec was a good choice, all things considered - Simon did well.

"Ginnie..Carol. Thank you, it is good to be back."
The appearance of both Ginnie and Carol reminded Mathias that he would need to deal with Simon eventually. No - deal was not the proper term. Mathias and Simon would need to talk,but it could wait..Mathias had been enough of an ass to the man, best to let it lie a while.

Alec's offer of chaperone intrigued him. Here was a chance to help shape the next generation of Tacharan,perhaps something different than the "psycho killer" reputation many here seem to cultivate. He chuckled - extra credit sounded fun as well!

"Of course Alec, I would be honored. Any way I can help you, just let me know"
Well, he had almost everyone he thought could be helpful for going over his plans here...no time like the present.

"Hey, Carol...can you pull that shut behind you? Want to talk shop with y'all since you're all here. Call it a stroke of luck."

Popping up off of his floor, he headed to the Magic Curtain and threw it back. For everyone assembled, this would be the first glimpse of his inner sanctum, the layout of his mind. The front area was dominated by a giant formica table - white, of course, with those nasty little black flecks. The thing was battered all to hell, and covered by books, manuals, papers, lists, scraps, and tools. One of the old optical devices was in parts, but looked like it had been shoved over into the corner of the desk hurriedly - a couple of the pieces were on the floor by the leg. The rest of the room was filled with safes, doors, door frames and electronics. Everything continued to be monochrome, with the exception of the green and red LED lights and the screen saver on his computer terminal in the corner.

Rustling around on the desks for a few minutes, he smiled before sitting in a very tattered black and steel armchair. The thing looked older than he was, but the style belied its youth. Clearly this chair had some mileage to it.

"So...I'm going over the training bits in my mind and researching military training and general teaching...and I'd like to mellow things out a bit from Gaia's old practices. The mortality rate among the vampires was unacceptable to me. The humans...well, any time humans train in a physical capacity where blood might be spilled around vampires, especially ones with bloodlust...well, they aren't long for the world. I'm not sure we can make things too much better for those that are interested. But removing in-class kills for starters might be a big step.

I know Gaia'd done the training thing for a long time, and her results were excellent. I just feel we shouldn't waste any blood that comes our way. We're still the smallest clan, and if we go offing 40% of our applicants, we'll never have the numbers of the other two. I'm for keeping the combat training requirement, though. Politico, hacker or merc, you should still be able to throw down. But expecting an operator to be as proficient as a merc is wasteful, and could drive folk away.

I'd also like to call in specialists to do parts of the training - I might be one of our best in security, misdirection, tactics and stealth, but that doesn't mean I can train anyone on firearms as well as anyone in this room. Or face to face combat. Or demolitions. If I am the sole trainer, I'll breed in my weaknesses to the clan, and I'm not interested in that. Having the 'guest trainers' will also keep my hand in, which I'm happy about - then maybe I'll be able to cover other sections should someone not wish to participate.

I'd also like to encourage cooperation and teamwork from day one - not from clan acceptance. It'll take away some of the 'kids table' feel that folks get in training. It'll also let people know right away that we'll work them through until they're ready, that we have an investment in them.

Oh, but the Trainer will still wear white leather, because that's hot. Any feedback so far? Thoughts? Additions, subtractions, debates?"

Setting the papers back to their somewhat former order, he headed back into the front room. Sipping from his vodka, he took a seat on the bed so that he could see everyone.
Ginnie 17 years ago
Ginnie spun on her ass and watched him move around the room, listened carefully to what he had to say as he rustled papers and looked very much in his element. She felt pride swelling in her chest and decided it was the most bizarre emotion ever.

"Well, Slick, I usually get my flunkies already trained and ready to go, but I'd be more than happy to be a part of their training if you need me to be. I imagine I can cull some time out of my busy schedule."

She wondered how ticked Simon would be if she asked him if she could give up the gun trade to some lessers. She was getting tired of dealing with the fall out from Hillman, and the total lack of respect being shown by her rats. It could wait until Simon had dealt with the council and life had gotten back to normal, well normal for a bunch of murdering vampires.
Mathias 17 years ago
Mathias listened to Alec and was taken aback how similar their thinking was on many things. The previous training methods had always bothered him,although Mathias hadn't truly been around long enough to understand them - brutality for brutality's sake seemed wasteful.

"Good ideas Alec - I think we can build more cohesive units by inculcating loyalty through comradeship,rather than fear and pain. While discipline and order are of paramount importance,the body count of previous training always seemed excessive to me. But it was Ellis' will..new times call for new methods however - rather thank killing those who fail, we may be able to find other places for them to serve the clan."

"Of course, I will be more than happy to assist in training regarding weapons and combat. I've not the talent with explosives Ginnie possesses nor your ability to not be someplace..perhaps we should institute a reading list and classes on history." Mathias couldn't help but chuckles - the worlds deadliest historian!

A thought occurred to him,something he assumed Alec desired but did not mention.

"Beyond eliminating the "kids table" feel and mandatory combat training we also might want to consider some form of crosstraining - it would do us much better if the snipers understand demolitions,and comm understood firefights better. And I think it help foster more cooperation as well. Many special operations teams utilize cross training."

Mathias leaned back and was silent - he had a million ideas and thoughts running through his head now. This idea of Alec's really excited him..a chance to make his mark in the clan.
Carol 17 years ago
Carol closed the door behind her and plopped down on the couch. She listened to Alec's ideas and was very much pleased. Gaia had been legendary with her training, to put it mildly. Ellis was the only other vampire that could compare. Rubbing her arms, she reflected on how different the clan was now, especially the direction it was going in. She decided it was a good thing.

'Simon has given you carte blanche on whatever you want to do and whatever you need, Alec. If you don't mind, I'd like to sit in on your first round of training. Just to see but also to learn...not that I plan on running with y'all.' She gave him a wink.

'I'm happy to see you're encouraging the teamwork. Fear driven loyalty is...handy, but theoretically Mercs should be long term. The turn over was unacceptable to Simon but really, what could he say? Excellent start, sir.' Carol saluted and smiled.
Nodding from one to the other, Alec smirked. It seemed that his ideas were actually good ones - not just the bottle talking. Good to know. Hearing the vote of confidence meant a lot, too.

"Well, I'll take those answers as consent to be involved on some level. Good on ya. The history bit will probably come with the ground - get an old man like Mathias in the classroom and there's bound to be some history lessons, so make sure you bring your No Doz to anything with his name on it. Though...to be fair, even I can't teach some of my newfangled funk without dropping some background on folks. Required reading might be a bit much for some of them, though. We should make sure they can all read and write first. And cross training will be a given - even our secretaries need to be able to throw down, but likewise everyone else needs to know alphabetical order for filing.

Shit. Looks like it is Back to School with Clan Tacharan, then!"
Mathias 17 years ago
Mathias his glass.
"To learning! and Tacharan!"

He raised an eyebrow at Alec's comments and laughed.
"I am -not- boring...those gentlemen at the bar found my lessons most fascinating!"
Carol 17 years ago
'Welp, if you need anything else, Alec. Just let me or Dayle know.'

Standing she pulled at the belt of her capris and waved demurely as she walked out. 'I'm off to bug the old man topside. Unless there's something any of y'all need me for now?'

((Carol heading out pending response))
"Nope! That'll do us, Carol. Thanks for popping by. Oh...and Mathias'll be making sure that you...uh...make through the hallway ok. But I'll catch up to you later tonight man. I've just got to...um...go over some...schematics...with Ginnie here, and thank her for the new toys."

Blushing, Alec ushered Mathias and Carol out.

((Everyone out! Close for inactivity, please!))