Nero: Scene V Act iii (private)

Sorin strolled out under the stars and looked up with a faint smile.

"It is interesting to me that people still call them but the names the Greeks and Romans use. The tales of our past are told on the heavens never changing though so much goes on beneath them."Â?

He turned to Palmer and grinned, taking a sip of his wine and leaning against an oak tree that might very well be half his age.

"Thank you ever so kindly for bringing this fine evening along in your bags. We appreciate it."Â?

Taking another sip of wine, he closed his eyes and savored its flavor. It would be best for Palmer to begin this show and he could take his cues from there. He was a master at playing off the mood of a situation but first he needed to know just what play they were acting out.

Sorin straightened and turned towards the southerner with an easy smile.

"So what is it that I can help you with?"Â?

Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer joined Sorin in looking up at the stars, thinking that it must have taken some imagination to see connections that made shapes in those small points of light, and nodded lightly.

“It is an interesting contradiction; ‘these indifferent stars’ that persist in guiding us home. Or so sailors tell me.” He grinned wryly at that, giving his head a shake. “Though I might have used a little of such navigation in getting around the city.”

He grinned more genuinely at Sorin’s thanks, offering a quiet ‘my pleasure’ in response, and nodded as the Elder got to the point of the matter.

‘Careful now, Calhoun.’

“There is a small matter in my home city that I am hoping to resolve. It would seem some writ from our rebel days has made its way to Nachton and, regardless of its failings or triumphs, we would like our piece of history back. I came in hopes of picking up the trail again and was actually hoping I might once again borrow Thaddeus Grey, as he has assisted Charleston to great effect before.” He beamed a smile at Sorin. “And now I can thank you properly for that, by the way,” he said, giving a little flourish. Indeed, thanking Sorin had been the last thing on his mind when he had first met the stuffy blonde nightsman but Thaddeus truly had made an excellent fit for the case.

“And that would bring me to the second matter…I admit I came at an odd time, what with recent disasters, but I had thought to see more of Grey. I can only imagine his reaction were he to know I had voiced my concerns to you but I gather, as someone who knows Thaddeus better than most, that you would be the first to know if anything were amiss.”

He reviewed what had just come out of his mouth to see if there was anything he ought to amend with more speech as he took a sip of his wine and, satisfied that he had done passably well, he waited to see what Sorin might hone in on.
Sorin 17 years ago
Sorin nodded at Palmer's response, noting that at least the man was educated. Truly his creator was right that the Order of the Night missed a good member when Palmer chose the Order of the Hunt. Still, having intelligent, helpful people in the other Orders had its own advantages.

He listened with interest to the situation that Palmer explained. Was this writ in the archives here in Anantya, in which case he would have to look it over and decide whether he wished to part with it or if it was too valuable to lose despite the bettering of relations with Charleston, or was it elsewhere, in which case helping Palmer would help all of Anantya and he could at least procure a copy of the document for their own archives.

The need for Thaddeus suggested that it was not in the hands of Anantya but drifting free somewhere, supposedly, in the city. Sorin frowned thoughtfully but waited for Palmer to finish.

"You are quite welcome and I am pleased that he represented us well enough to earn such high praise. I do fear that Thaddeus has not been around much of late. There was a personal matter he told me he wished to take care of."Â?

At this Sorin sighed delicately and looked faintly worried before continuing.

"Perhaps I am someone in which he would find difficulty in confiding more intimate details but I fear for his safety. I do not know the nature of this quest but I know that he has had dealings with Alfarinn of Evenhet."Â?

Pausing to look thoughtful, Sorin pretended to make up his mind and once more continued.

"Thaddeus is a grown man and must be allowed to do as he feels right but as a friend I worry about this new acquaintance. The Evenhet is cunning, He was one of my own Order when he was a part of Anantya. His acting skills are superb and I fear that his intentions towards Thaddeus are not what they appear."Â?

Taking a sip of his wine, Sorin hoped that he had not tipped his hand too far.

"I do not believe that he would listen to either of us if this was something he felt strongly about but perhaps I could persuade you to keep a watchful eye on the situation if the circumstances allow and let me know if you believe the relationship to be an honest one, for Thaddeus's sake."Â?
Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer nodded at Sorin’s explanation for Thaddeus’s whereabouts, focusing on the Elder’s mannerisms more than words and coaching his expression to one of mildly surprised interest. He might have broken in with a sentiment of some kind but Sorin was continuing and Palmer did his best to keep quiet and pay attention instead of jumping in too soon.

When Sorin explained who Thaddeus had ‘had dealings’ with, though, he felt it would be odd not to speak, and raised both eyebrows so high they might have wrapped clean around the back of his head.

“’Dealings’, you say? That –is- a surprise.”

Sorin continued on, explaining his worries in more detail. It was understandable to be sure; just seeing Thaddeus looking positively –besotted- was a touch unsettling and knowing Evenhet with all their many and sundry mind abilities…

Troublesome doubts! Nettled, he decided to just keep his head and sort the rest out later. The thought amused him; perhaps keeping up was the best one could hope for when conversing with Sorin.

He frowned and made to object to Sorin’s suggestion that Thaddeus would not listen to either of them when it came down to it, then closed his mouth again when he realized there was nothing he could say that would sound sincere. Sorin had the right of it; Thaddeus was mulish stubborn when he thought he was right. Likewise, he could not argue that Thaddeus would come to one of them if he needed help.

Obviously.

Perhaps he could tell Sorin not to take Thaddeus personally. And then he could take his own medicine.

“It is the least I could do. Thaddeus is a friend to me as well and I am at Anantya’s service.” He gave Sorin a smile. “At best I imagine I can put your mind at ease and at worst we’ll discover if anything is amiss.”

He took another sip of wine and tried to let his thoughts settle down from their inward rant. This was exactly the sort of thing that had kept him out of the Order of the Night, though over the years he had developed respect for the necessity of their tactics. Still, Thaddeus had, however reluctantly and indirectly, asked him to spy on Sorin, and now Sorin would ask the same of him in reverse. There wouldn’t be nearly all this confusion if people would just talk to each other, but nightsmen liked it complicated.

Yes, he’d just as soon stay out of that nest of vipers, much as he loved his clan and cared for the people in it. Blaine was much the same; if anything, his creator was more open about his manipulations. In fact, he might have told Blaine to find out his own damned information if he was so clever but that wouldn’t do for Sorin. Or Thaddeus.

Lord if he didn’t hate casually agreeing to be a snitch for his friend.

In any case, he was in too deep to bemoan his position; it was best to suck it up and tell himself this was all for the greater good. An ironic thought to be sure; he imagined nightsmen said the same thing about his line of work. Did the webs they spun keep them up at night, as his killings did him on occasion? Or did one become accustomed to such things, until they were a way of life.

Realizing he had fallen quiet, which was rare enough for him, he finished off his wine and looked to Sorin, thinking to explain.

“It is troubling to think that Evenhet might attempt to mislead one of ours. Thaddeus in particular.”

Stating the obvious, to be sure, but it was true enough. The whole situation was troubling, though. Thus far Sorin had revealed nothing save concern for one of his Order and a mistrust of Evenhet. In that vein, he added:

“Our causes may even dovetail, pun intended, together nicely; there is a rumor going around that our little book has fallen into Evenhet hands.” He smiled and explained. “It’s a record from a house in Charleston that was supposedly used for the underground railroad; we believe it was used as an escape route for our kind as well. I understand Evenhet has a penchant for borrowing history and doing what they will with it.” He gave a little shrug, indicating his distaste for politics. “In any case, it is Anantya’s and Charleston’s, and we’ll have it back. I was hoping to make use of Thaddeus’s” he wiggled his fingers “convenient ability.”

He frowned, trying to feign thinking while actually thinking, but about something else.

“But I believe it would be best to ensure Thaddeus is not in danger of deception first and foremost. I’ll be the first to admit that I came to Nachton in part for vanity’s sake, for the book that belongs to us; Thaddeus is more important.”
Sorin 17 years ago
Southerners were sometimes difficult to read; as a general rule those brought up with the South's idea of social manners felt it necessary to feign interest, but not too much, in anything he said. Sorin was adept and dealing with people that had duplicitous surface behavior and that did not concern him but he did take a moment to find it aggravating that he was going to have to put more effort into reading Palmer's real feelings on the matter than the usual layman.

He was at least satisfied that the Huntsman would watch Thaddeus more closely. That was truly the biggest thing he hoped to achieve by this little private chat session. Suspicions,once aroused, tended to find supporting evidence even where none truly exist. Any behavior out of the ordinary from Thaddeus and Alfarinn could then potentially cause a great deal of alarm and doubt.

And that would be just perfect.

Palmer had gone quiet and he hoped it was the weight of his worried expression and troubling words that had caused the momentary lack of conversation but without any way to be sure he would simply have to continue, in the hopes that he was successful.

Frowning thoughtfully, he sighed and twirled the last of his wine in a lazy circle in the bottom of the glass.

"It is indeed and I fear... that I might be to blame."Â?

Taking a sip, Sorin straightened and explained.

"He came to me requesting information. The leads led to Evenhet, as I informed him then. I gather then that he chose to seek them out in order to learn the truth but though Thaddeus is an excellent member of my Order, it would appear that he has become quite taken by Alfarinn."Â?

Quite taken indeed. Ripped away from Anantya and possessed body and soul by that human loving traitor to his kind.

Sorin turned his mind forcefully back to the conversation when the mention of the writ was once more brought up. It would seem that the original purpose of this conversation was simply to ask for Thaddeus's psychometry abilities. It was a thing easily granted and it kept an Anantya close by Thaddeus for at least a little while.

"Certainly. I am sure Thaddeus would be more than willing to help a friend and the Order of the Night is always happy to be of service to our brethren. Take the time you need, perhaps your search would be just the therapeutic work our young friend needs."Â?
Palmer 17 years ago
Sorin’s next statement sparked Palmer’s curiosity and he wondered just what the Elder might be about to admit. When he realized where Sorin felt his guilt rested, though, he frowned thoughtfully at the implications.

“Well, it is somewhat encouraging that he came to you initially; hopefully if he realizes he’s in too deep this means he’ll know to come to you again. Of course, if he doesn’t realize what he’s into…but it certainly does no good to blame yourself.”

Palmer frowned, giving a little shrug. To be honest, he felt that coming to Sorin, or anyone else for that matter, was pretty much a toss up where Thaddeus was concerned. He had actually been somewhat surprised that the nightsman was willing to seek help from the small group in the cathedral, and he wondered if that was Alfarinn’s influence.

He sighed heavily.

“I must admit, the idea of Alfarinn and Thaddeus partnering up seems…odd to me. Especially in light of there being information implicating Evenhet…I assume in one of Thaddeus’ investigations?”

An Evenhet had been mentioned in the list of suspects but both Thaddeus and Alfarinn had been dismissive of that theory, and Palmer certainly had not heard any information pointing to their guilt. Yet Thaddeus knew something that he wasn’t telling…as usual.

Palmer was suddenly quite interested in hearing what Christian Bern had learned from his end of investigations. He had thought the security chief was a pretty stand up guy but it seemed very strange that the other clan was managing to totally avoid the searchlight on this one. Of course, he could always hope that the initial information that led Thaddeus to Evenhet was completely unrelated to current goings on, even if it still looked pretty bad.

But hadn’t Alfarinn said that those two came together for this specific purpose? Sorin’s words confirmed that, though with a very different twist than the story he had heard in the cathedral.

What on earth had that nightsman gotten himself into? At the time their reasons for suspecting an Anantya seemed fairly solid but it was clear now that he didn’t have the whole picture. Why would Thaddeus leave that out? It struck him as manipulative, which wasn’t at all like his friend. When it came down to it, someone in this little group was getting played.

If only he could discern –who-. He suddenly wished Mr. Bern had calmly asked him to go ahead and take a bullet for three for Thaddeus; it would have been easier than trying to weed out all these individual motivations and decide who should know about who said what to whom and when and why…

In any case, Sorin had given the green light on borrowing Thaddeus, so he really didn’t have any excuse to keep picking the Elder’s brain much longer. He reasoned that his main task was to discern what different parties knew and when.

“I am most grateful for Anantya’s assistance. And thank you for letting me know about Thaddeus…you know how close he can be, I doubt I would hear any of this from him without some prior knowledge to work off.”

Indeed.
Sorin 17 years ago
Of course he shouldn't blame himself. Thaddeus was the one who decided to turn traitor to the clan.

Sorin nodded in agreement but frowned thoughtfully none the less.

“This is true but I worry about him. It is his damnable work ethic. Most of the time it was a wonderful thing but I fear that it could also get him into trouble. He is very determined and a perfectionist, Our Thaddeus. He won't come to us with theories or half of the information. It is all or nothing and so he could very well be in over his head if he is trying to take on the Evenhet alone or he truly believes Alfarinn is telling him the truth. Either way, the past few times I have seen him...”

He looked up at Palmer and sighed.

“Which has not been much lately, he has seemed distance. If I did not know him better, I would say he was...hiding something.”

Finishing off his wine, he waved his hand in a gesture of dismal of his last statement.

“That is why I figure that it must be something that he feels uncomfortable with telling me.”

In answer to the Huntman's question, Sorin added.

“He would not tell me the specifics of the situation at all actually. He simply said it was a personal matter.”

Sorin shrugged slightly but hoped that his face betrayed a small expression of personal betrayal in not being trusted enough to confide in. It was not hard for him to bring up the emotions to work from, he did feel betrayed by Thaddeus, especially after all the time and effort he felt that he had personally contributed towards treating the boy as a protege and favored clan mate.

“Yes, quite. Well I wish you the best of luck and do hate asking this of a guest but I believe your help may be necessary in this serious matter. It might be the very thing needed to save one of our own.”
Palmer 17 years ago
Palmer couldn’t help but give a genuinely warm smile at Sorin’s quite apt description of Thaddeus. The Elder certainly had his friend pegged as far as work ethic and perfectionism went.

He hadn’t considered, until Sorin mentioned it, that Thaddeus might be trying to take Evenhet on his own. He pondered that possibility, which explained a lot; perhaps the nightsman was not truly able to speak freely, surrounded by Evenhet as they were, and had refrained from giving all the information because it was safer and easier to pull the strings if he kept his own council.

If that were the case, though…Thaddeus was –scary- good. And he couldn’t put that past his friend; after all, hadn’t Blaine done exactly the same thing to him?

So which was it? Was Thaddeus being taken in, or was he the one doing the taking? Or was that a false dichotomy?

He nodded in regretful agreement with Sorin’s conclusion, though the wheels were still spinning. One thing that he –did- believe was that Thaddeus considered himself to be in mortal peril. How much weight he could put on Thaddeus’ belief, though, was another story. Palmer was convinced his friend was full blown paranoid even if he wouldn’t admit it, and that might be effecting the nightsman’s judgment.

In any case, Sorin seemed to be taking that aspect of Thaddeus’s nature about as well as he did.

“Thaddeus does tend to keep his own council under any circumstances.”

He honestly couldn’t think of anything more reassuring to say regarding his friend.

He gave an inward sigh of relief when Sorin explained that Thaddeus hadn’t told him anything about this increasingly complex adventure, though something didn’t seem right about that. What wasn’t adding up? Why did it seem there was something the Elder wasn’t telling him?

Hell, maybe paranoia was catching. Sorin had been fairly open in their discussion; Palmer suspected he was jumping at shadows.

“Interesting…I wonder what on earth he’s mixed up in.”

He beamed a smile at Sorin. “Though I suppose the idea now is to find out!” He considered adding some grand statement along the lines of ‘I shall not fail you!’ but decided that might be a little overconfident even for him.

Besides…he may very well –deliberately- do things Sorin wouldn’t want. He wasn’t sure, and he was frankly starting to feel much less like he was going into this with a planned objective and much more like he was making things up as he went along.

He held up his hand in denial of Sorin’s stated reluctance, shaking his head and smiling.

“It’s no trouble at all. Besides, I do believe I owe you one, even if I wasn’t always at Anantya’s service.” He flashed a grin. “I will, however, take all the luck I can get.”

He kept his smile in place through the last bit, though it was a bit of a strain. Wow, no pressure there.

“I’ll do everything I can.”

Draining his wine glass, he gave Sorin a formal nod.

“It was a pleasure meeting you, under the circumstances. I won’t keep you; I should find Thaddeus now before he slips away. With any luck he’ll still be fixing his hair.” He gave a roll of his eyes. “What did he –do- to it, anyway?” Chuckling, he wished Sorin a pleasant evening, his thoughts already on just what he was going to say to Thaddeus when he found him.

/ooc Palmer out pending response
Sorin 17 years ago
Sorin nodded and was gratified to see that Palmer agreed with his assessment of how Thaddeus worked on a mission. Some people might consider him to vain to notice others but that would be an underestimation of his observation skills. Thaddeus was one of his Order so of course he noticed how the blonde worked. In the past, he found Thaddeus's work ethic to be a wonderful trait. The boy was not one to need someone to hold his hand every step of the way nor was he one who came back with sketchy facts expecting to be patted on the head for them. He could send Thaddeus to do a mission and it would get done. Sometimes he worried that Thaddeus would not get the help that he needed but somehow things had always turned out well enough for the younger Nightsman.

...Save the once.

He shrugged slightly in answer to Palmer's query.

"I could only but guess based on his one question and that could have been totally unrelated. I'm afraid that is all I have to go on."Â?

Turning towards the door, Sorin smiled in return.

"Good then. I am sure you will do your best."Â?

Snorting slightly at the comment towards Thaddeus's new hair cut. He said.

"I cannot claim to know there either but he is looking a bit more disheveled these days. A thing I thought would never be able to be said of Thaddeus Grey. Perhaps we should gift him with a pair of scissors for his birthday?"Â?

((OOC: Sorin out ))