Drinking Game (Upper Balcony) No longer an event thread!

Mai entered onto the balcony carrying a carved polished wooden box and being followed by one of the maids.

"The table is to be here."

She waited as the maid moved the low table out towards the center of the balcony and then set down the box and pulled out a wooden board. On this she placed six black lacquered and painted wooden cups of various sizes starting with the size of a normal glass and going down to something slightly smaller than a shot glass. Then she set down a carved wooden dice on the table and began placing large red floor cushions around the table with the maid's help.

Once it was done she simply needed Rupert to bring something to fill the cups. Kneeling on one of the cushions, Mai tucked the edges of her red kimono beneath her and waited for the others to arrive.

The purpose of the old drinking games in Asia was to teach people moderation with drinking and that it was not necessary to drink to excess in order to enjoy the festivities. Most Anantya behaved well but alcohol had a way of bringing out the worst in some people. Mai hoped that this game would entertain some of those waiting for Fallon while keeping down the number of drinks they consumed. After all, the point of the game was to not have to drink.

((OOC: If you join this thread then you are joining the drinking game. This is how it will work. I will use a random dice roller to give each person their dice roll and task in the name of quickness and fairness. (you'll just have to trust me, muahhaha) and then each person will have to perform their task to the satisfaction of the other players in the game. You will vote by sending me a PM or IM with your answer. If the person successfully performs their task then they do not have to drink. If they do not, then they have to take a drink. If you have any questions then you may PM me on Alfarinn or IM me)

Thaddeus Grey 17 years ago
Thaddeus found that he could, if he chose, look down on the patio below and get a reasonable view of the goings on, and in the distance he could see the doors of the cathedral. It was the doors he focused his attention on, rather than the party below, and anyone watching could safely assume he was, like the rest of them, waiting for Fallon’s return.

Which, of course, he was. That he was thinking his own meandering thoughts, remembering his own journey among other things, was nothing unusual. He did, however, turn around when Mai and a maid came onto the upper patio, watching curiously as a game of some sort was set up.

Raising one eyebrow, he approached the table and took a seat next to Mai, looking from the drinking glasses to the dice with a guarded, but amused, expression, and waited to see what would happen next.
Butler 17 years ago
Rupert took the bottle of sake from another butler’s hands and climbed the stairs to the upper balcony, checking the bottle as he went to ensure it was the finery he had requested.

This, he reflected, ought to be interesting. Perhaps Sorin would videotape.

He repressed a scowl, though, when he noticed Lord Partypooper Grey had joined the festivities. Rupert was all for propriety but the little blonde took things to a new level of boring.

In any case, he set the bottle carefully on the table and then went back down the stairs to inform the partygoers that there was entertainment above.
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Bounding up the stairs at the Ruperino's announcement, Dawn plopped down next to someone who lived in her wing that she'd not really met.

Hey! You live by th'pool too! Rawk! I'm Dawn, hiya!

Extending her hand, she turned to Mai.

So whazzall this, Sensei Mai? I hear there's funnin' up ins, and here y'are with a fancy table! Looks like a drinkin game! Wouldn'ta figgered! Sorry...would not have figured you for a drinking game organizer.
Mai 17 years ago
Mai smiled up at Thaddeus and then looked over at Dawn when she sat down.

"Alcohol is a form of relaxation but undisciplined people drink to excess. In their wisdom our people created drinking games that tested the mental skills of participants, requiring that they do not drink too quickly or they will lose."Â?

Most saw it as simply entertaining and never realized the purpose behind the game. A party could while away the hours without consuming as much alcohol as they would without the game and at the same time they were doing something to keep everyone interested which kept people from choosing more destructive forms of amusement.

She leaned forward and placed the small black lacquered die in front of Thaddeus.

((OOC: Rolling for Thaddeus and a 2 was rolled ))

The dice came up with two dots

"Thaddeus-san has to ask us a riddle. If we cannot answer then Thaddeus-san does not have to drink. If we know the answer then he must drink this cup."Â?

She pointed to the second largest cup on the board and then looked at Thaddeus expectantly.
Thaddeus inclined his chin in greeting and took the offered hand of the young woman who had taken a seat next to him, who upon a closer look appeared to have been turned at the same age he was. He wondered at the purpose of the colorful hair; was it a fashion statement or an attempt to blend in to modern times? Realizing he would be the last to know if her attempt was successful, he let the matter rest and satisfied himself with the idea that she had a rather nice dress sense.

“Well met, Dawn. Thaddeus Grey.”

He reflected that it was a shame he had missed meeting this particular clanmate before now, considering they apparently lived so close to each other. Mai, meanwhile, was explaining the game and the purpose behind it, which made quite good sense to Thaddeus, even if he tended to take the concept of moderation to new extremes. Deciding this would be an engaging way to enjoy the party, he nodded his head and watched Mai roll.

Snake eyes. Wasn’t that an ill omen?

Banishing negative thoughts, he listened solemnly to Mai’s instructions, a smile ghosting his features at his task. His expression shifted to something more serious and thoughtful as he considered a riddle to befuddle Mai and Dawn, though after a moment he was more concerned with creating something well worded and interesting. He ran his fingers over his jawline and organized the words in his mind, going over everything in silence before looking up and speaking.

“Eos and Hesperos know me:
I am the gate,
I am the welcoming song.

Artemis and Apollo know me:
I am the bridge,
I am the solemn meeting.

Mortal and Immortal know me:
I am the grave,
I am the mourner’s whisper.”

He raised one eyebrow and looked from Mai to Dawn.

“What am I?”
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Dawn was pretty sure that saying that she liked getting drunk and rowdy would be a Bad Thing at this point, so she smiled instead.

Listening to Thaddues's riddle, she was pretty sure that she'd be shitfaced by the end of this game anyway. Holy shit! Frowning in concentration, she puzzled through what she could.

"Okokok...you kin figger sumthin kinda decent...s'long as y'don't pick sumthin total nutters y'might slide through. Ok. So Eos, she's like me, that's Dawn...which's kinda like a welcomin' song anyway. Dunno what th'fuck Hesperos's, but prolly either opposite'r a pair based'a th'others. We'll go with opsit pair. S'two things in parallel makin th'lil arch deal. A gate, a welcomin' song. Hm.

Then we gots th'Artemis chick an' her bro. That's'n easy pairin. An'also a dual pair - moon an sun, wha? That makes me think of arches again, weird.

Then ends with death an sadness. Well, that's life I guess.

Wait. Is it?"

Um...gonna go with Life?

It was a total crapshoot, but probably better than anything she'd come up with given any more time to think on it.
Mai 17 years ago
Mai listened to Thaddeus's riddle with a smile. Her Ba-di was very good at this portion of the game and she was glad that his first roll involved something that he would be comfortable with.

Unlike many, she remembered the times when Eos and Hesperos were names that everyone knew. They were the famous figures of stories for a time. Mai wondered what would be remembered in the age to come about the people in the talking box. The cowboy president that was much argued over in the streets or the madonna that sang about being a material girl? The technology sometimes made it difficult for her to understand what people were referring to, such as music coming from an eye pod...which sounded strange and dangerous to her. She was blind and even she would not use some sort of eye pod and why would something that was related to your eyes play music?

Repressing a shudder, Mai went back to contemplating Thaddeus's question. Dawn's speech sounded like a babbling brook to her; the words tumbled forth one after another, tripping over themselves on the way out and only one or two were understood.

She did understand Dawn's final answer and was pleased to see the girl put effort into the thought.

Smiling slightly, Mai leaned her head back and pointed.

"Artemis and Hesperos... are both in the sky."Â?

Tilting her head back down, she turned to Thaddeus and waited for his answer. Was it life or the heavens or had they missed the riddle all together? If so then Thaddeus would remain sober for another round.
Thaddeus raised his eyebrows at Dawn’s answer, inwardly amused at the uncertain turn of phrase. After all, -she- wouldn’t have to drink if she got it wrong. He gave a slight shake of his head and turned to Mai, who provided her answer in her usual serene way.

“Quite worthy attempts.” He looked up for a moment, in the direction Mai had pointed, and smiled slightly, shy rather than smug. “The answer is ‘twilight’.”

He thought their respective choices were interesting, though, and revealing in their own way. Deciding he rather liked this game, he turned expectantly to Mai, ready for the next round.
Mai 17 years ago
Mai blinked at Thaddeus thoughtfully but nodded. She really did not understand the variances of time very well and did not think in them often. These were things that were probably more important to those who depended very heavily on their eyesight.

It was a wise choice of riddle and the answer made perfect sense once told. She smiled at her Ba-di for doing a very good job at the task. Picking up the die, she placed it in front of Dawn and waited for her to roll.

((OOC: Dawn's roll was a 4))

Once the die reached its final resting place, she announced the task.

"You must pantomime a famous saying so that one of us are able to guess it. If we are not able to guess your saying then you must drink from this cup."Â?

She pointed to a medium sized drink on the board and then leaned back and waited for Dawn to begin.
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Awww...good on ya!

Rattling the dice in her best craps styling, she popped out with a 4. Now she had to act out a famous saying that they could guess. Aw....fuck. She didn't really know blondie at all other than the classical stuff he just spouted...so she was gonna have to rely on her common background with Mai.

Sheeeit...I can taste the sake already.

Ok...what might we all know...oh! EVERYONE knows that!

Okokok...I got one!

Kicking her chair back, she looked around, and sat on an invisible somethingorother. Sitting spread legged, she leaned forward and slid an invisible object well forward of her seat. Reaching forward, she mimed placing her hands around invisible, not quite cylindrical, not quite conical formations. Then, pinching her thumb in she would slide one hand down toward the invisible object to squeeze it, then the other. She repeated the motions for a short while, then picked up the invisible object. Taking the object, she mimed tipping it slowly. Miming her hand around a large cylinder, she gestured in a toasting fashion and mimed sipping.

Hopefully that last part wasn't merely foreshadowing.
Thaddeus tried to avoid the appearance of peering when Dawn began her act, having no earthly idea of what she was doing as she got situated. Women’s pants, he decided, were definitely an excellent idea, if for no other reason than because at least she didn’t have to worry about being unladylike.

He tilted his head to one side as her act ran its course; after a few of those tugging motions he thought it was beginning to click, and when she mimed drinking from a glass he felt his theory was confirmed.

But what expression coincided with milk?

He rubbed thoughtfully at his chin and shot Dawn an encouraging smile as he thought. She had done a good act; now it was his responsibility to place it.

Don’t cry over spilt milk? No, he reasoned; she would have likely done some sort of crying pantomime. Had she gone through the milking routine just to show that she was drinking milk or was that part of the expression as well? It would seem that part of the act tied in as well, but he knew next to nothing about milking cows. Perhaps, though, he was being too literally minded; he wondered if the act wasn’t meant to represent something entirely different, but was at a loss to imagine what she might mean by it.

He started to shrug and was going to go back to his original guess when another thought came to him.

“Milk it for all it’s worth.”
Mai 17 years ago
Mai continued to stare at Dawn even after she was done, trying to understand how those things went together in a saying. Milking a cow was an action she had seen before though she never understood why grown people would waste their time on milk if they were no longer in the development stage of life.

Milking a cow then a toast and then drinking the glass? She had to admit that she did not understand the saying. Thaddeus's guess sounded reasonable and Mai hoped that he was right. Dawn was difficult to understand sober; she was certain it would be impossible if the girl were drunk. Or perhaps not, alcohol had a slowing effect on people so it might be helpful.

Now she was curious to find out.

"You have got milk? I am afraid I do not know many sayings about milk."Â?
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
At Thaddy's answer, Dawn shook her head. It was a good guess, and on the right line, but not the right phrase. Damn. Then Mai nailed it, despite claiming not to know milk sayings. Jumping from her strange squat, Dawn clapped.

Yupyupyup! "Got Milk" is right! Mai's turn!
Mai 17 years ago
Mai reached over and took the die from where it landed in front of Dawn and rolled it. When it came to a halt she swept her finger across its top. The five dots indicated a poem must be made up on the spot. She looked up to explain the rules of this round to her companions.

"I must make a haiku or drink from this glass."Â?

The glass was the second to the smallest on the board but she thought the challenge was one of the least difficult for her, though English poetry would make it more difficult. She blinked and stared off into the distance for a moment.

"New life emerging
From the blossom littered ground
Fallon has come home"Â?

She nodded and looked at the other two. Picking up the die she confidently held it out to Thaddeus.
Mai 17 years ago
((OOC: For Thaddeus we have a 1 on the roll. ))

Mai raised her eyebrows at the little wooden object and then glanced up at Thaddeus.

"Ba-di- kun, You must tell us an interesting fact about yourself. If we know this already or if it is decided not to be interesting enough then you must drink from this cup."

She pointed to the largest container on the board and then waited for Thaddeus to complete his task.
Thaddeus raised both eyebrows at the results of Dawn’s act, and this time his smile reached his eyes. He was glad Mai had figured out the puzzle, as he would have never guessed it. It occurred to him after the fact that he had seen that phrase on billboards in the city next to some really absurd pictures, and he gave a mental shiver at what the vampiric version would be.

“Well done.”

His expression faded to focus as Mai cast the die, intent on what would come next, and he gave a solemn nod at the Elder’s Haiku. For being a drinking game, he reflected, they were doing very little in the way of actual consumption, which was perfectly fine with him. Then he made his roll and mused that he might have jinxed himself with that thought.

Mai already knew everything about him, and added to that he had to come up with something that a person who had colored her hair blue would find interesting. It took more musing than he had done for the riddle to formulate a somewhat doubtful response.

“About fifty some years ago, I returned to London to check up on my family holdings and ended up staying in my old residence. While not a tourist attraction by any means, the estate had, and still has, a renowned library and occasionally students would come to visit it. The house was not open to the public while I was there, but one evening it came to my attention that two boys had come quite a long way to see the house, and I relented and let them in. They must have been fifteen, and, curious as to their intentions, I followed them through the house. They spoke little and upon reflection seemed nervous in my presence, though I did not make much of that at the time. They made their way to the library and I was called away to other business, but one of the butlers found me soon after in a flurry, claiming the boys had ‘defaced the library.’ Alarmed, I followed said butler to the library, where the two boys stood, next to an overturned bust, and heard a convoluted story of what amounted to a grievous accident. It was fairly obvious, from the markers in one of the boy’s hands, what they intended, though of course they had an explanation for that as well. It wasn’t a very impressive one.”

He waved his hand absently as he continued. “The bust was of no great value, though I will admit to being annoyed. I calmly suggested that they take their leave, which they did, but not before one reached out and played a quick chord on the piano in the great room.”

“At the time I had larger issues to contend with than a pair of pranksters and a mildly damaged replica, and thought little more of it until I saw those two boys, larger than life in a storefront window.”

Winding down to the end of his admittedly drawn out tale, he leaned back and gave a slight smile.

“So, there is my interesting fact; I once had John Lennon and Paul McCartney kicked out of my house for vandalism, and subsequently became a fan of the Beatles. Years later, I took the opportunity to meet Yoko Ono at a party in her New York City apartment, and while of course I could not tell her that I had met her late husband when he was a boy, I did get to see his white piano, on which I played a single chord before I left.”

He gave a somewhat dry smile, thinking if he had to drink after all that, they were going to risk even longer ramblings from him.
Alec Devereaux 17 years ago
Settling in her chair for Thaddeus' interesting fact, Dawn watched him. He seemed like he was somewhat excited about the story, so maybe this would be good.

About fifty some years ago, I returned to London to check up on my family holdings and ended up staying in my old residence. While not a tourist attraction by any means, the estate had, and still has, a renowned library and occasionally students would come to visit it.

Ok, so he's telling a story about his old house. Is it haunted? Oh, just visitors from time to time. Ok. Glancing at Mai, Dawn couldn't tell if the Elder had heard this story or not - Dawn hadn't, but she didn't really know Thaddeus at all, so that was no surprise.

The house was not open to the public while I was there, but one evening it came to my attention that two boys had come quite a long way to see the house, and I relented and let them in. They must have been fifteen, and, curious as to their intentions, I followed them through the house. They spoke little and upon reflection seemed nervous in my presence, though I did not make much of that at the time.

So...some kids visited his house and were nervous. This had better have a pretty wicked punchline. Stretching her shoulders, Dawn looked down to the party below, where they were ACTUALLY drinking. Sigh. Restraint was all well and good, but sometimes getting shitfaced was better.

[QUOTE]They made their way to the library and I was called away to other business, but one of the butlers found me soon after in a flurry, claiming the boys had ‘defaced the library.’ Alarmed, I followed said butler to the library, where the two boys stood, next to an overturned bust, and heard a convoluted story of what amounted to a grievous accident. It was fairly obvious, from the markers in one of the boy’s hands, what they intended, though of course they had an explanation for that as well. It wasn’t a very impressive one.[/QUOTE]

Vandalism was almost interesting, but...markers? What were they thinking? They're in a library and drawing on a statue? Dawn graduated from markers to spray paint at age 7, so this wasn't very interesting to her. It looked like some guy was wandering off with the musician dude down below. Maybe they were getting together for a private show. Heh.

[QUOTE]The bust was of no great value, though I will admit to being annoyed. I calmly suggested that they take their leave, which they did, but not before one reached out and played a quick chord on the piano in the great room.”

“At the time I had larger issues to contend with than a pair of pranksters and a mildly damaged replica, and thought little more of it until I saw those two boys, larger than life in a storefront window.”
[/QUOTE]

Maybe those two down there would start making out or get in a fight or something. At least then something interesting would happen. Sighing, she turned back to Mai, who was difficult to read. She was just so damn patient all the time. Shifting in her chair, Dawn waited for the end of the story.

So, there is my interesting fact; I once had John Lennon and Paul McCartney kicked out of my house for vandalism, and subsequently became a fan of the Beatles. Years later, I took the opportunity to meet Yoko Ono at a party in her New York City apartment, and while of course I could not tell her that I had met her late husband when he was a boy, I did get to see his white piano, on which I played a single chord before I left.

Who? Thinking for a minute, Dawn couldn't place the Lennon name. She saw the other name on tabloid covers from time to time at the market. The Beatles she'd heard of - Atmosphere said "Bigger than Jesus, bigger than wrestling, bigger than the Beatles, bigger than breast implants." In history they'd mentioned them too - one of them got shot or something, but that happened all the time now. She knew the Yoko Ono chick from South Park where they had that recorder concert, but figured she was fake. Have to look her up.

At least the story was circular. This guy was a decent storyteller...he just really needed some more interesting content. Raising her eyebrows, she smiled sheepishly.

Um...sorry. My mind was kinda wandering there. I read in the supermarket that Paul McCartney's wife was impregnated by aliens one time. I think they were fulla it.
Dawn Ratana 17 years ago
Settling in her chair for Thaddeus' interesting fact, Dawn watched him. He seemed like he was somewhat excited about the story, so maybe this would be good.

About fifty some years ago, I returned to London to check up on my family holdings and ended up staying in my old residence. While not a tourist attraction by any means, the estate had, and still has, a renowned library and occasionally students would come to visit it.

Ok, so he's telling a story about his old house. Is it haunted? Oh, just visitors from time to time. Ok. Glancing at Mai, Dawn couldn't tell if the Elder had heard this story or not - Dawn hadn't, but she didn't really know Thaddeus at all, so that was no surprise.

The house was not open to the public while I was there, but one evening it came to my attention that two boys had come quite a long way to see the house, and I relented and let them in. They must have been fifteen, and, curious as to their intentions, I followed them through the house. They spoke little and upon reflection seemed nervous in my presence, though I did not make much of that at the time.

So...some kids visited his house and were nervous. This had better have a pretty wicked punchline. Stretching her shoulders, Dawn looked down to the party below, where they were ACTUALLY drinking. Sigh. Restraint was all well and good, but sometimes getting shitfaced was better.

They made their way to the library and I was called away to other business, but one of the butlers found me soon after in a flurry, claiming the boys had ‘defaced the library.’ Alarmed, I followed said butler to the library, where the two boys stood, next to an overturned bust, and heard a convoluted story of what amounted to a grievous accident. It was fairly obvious, from the markers in one of the boy’s hands, what they intended, though of course they had an explanation for that as well. It wasn’t a very impressive one.

Vandalism was almost interesting, but...markers? What were they thinking? They're in a library and drawing on a statue? Dawn graduated from markers to spray paint at age 7, so this wasn't very interesting to her. It looked like some guy was wandering off with the musician dude down below. Maybe they were getting together for a private show. Heh.

The bust was of no great value, though I will admit to being annoyed. I calmly suggested that they take their leave, which they did, but not before one reached out and played a quick chord on the piano in the great room.”

Maybe those two down there would start making out or get in a fight or something. At least then something interesting would happen. Sighing, she turned back to Mai, who was difficult to read. She was just so damn patient all the time. Shifting in her chair, Dawn waited for the end of the story.

So, there is my interesting fact; I once had John Lennon and Paul McCartney kicked out of my house for vandalism, and subsequently became a fan of the Beatles. Years later, I took the opportunity to meet Yoko Ono at a party in her New York City apartment, and while of course I could not tell her that I had met her late husband when he was a boy, I did get to see his white piano, on which I played a single chord before I left.

Who? Thinking for a minute, Dawn couldn't place the Lennon name. She saw the other name on tabloid covers from time to time at the market. The Beatles she'd heard of - Atmosphere said "Bigger than Jesus, bigger than wrestling, bigger than the Beatles, bigger than breast implants." In history they'd mentioned them too - one of them got shot or something, but that happened all the time now. She knew the Yoko Ono chick from South Park where they had that recorder concert, but figured she was fake. Have to look her up.

At least the story was circular. This guy was a decent storyteller...he just really needed some more interesting content. Raising her eyebrows, she smiled sheepishly.

Um...sorry. My mind was kinda wandering there. I read in the supermarket that Paul McCartney's wife was impregnated by aliens one time. I think they were fulla it.
Thaddeus blinked once at Dawn’s reply to what he had thought was a pretty good story. John Lennon and Paul McCartney, for heaven’s sake! Weren’t they…well…cool? Ah, well; some people were not easily impressed. He knitted his brows together and nodded his head slowly, speaking dryly.

“Yes…well…I suppose alien impregnation might have made for a more interesting story. Though I would tend to agree with your evaluation on the quality of the report.”

He looked to Mai, wondering if he had disappointed her as well, though he was finding himself hard pressed not to smile at himself.
Mai 17 years ago
Mai frowned at the idea of someone disrespecting Thaddeus's family home. She did not know the people well but she had heard the name of John Lennon and tales of some of his achievments from people on the streets when he was murdered.

The other name was unfamiliar to her. Perhaps he too ended up doing good things after Thaddeus put them out of his home for bad behavior. Her Ba-di was a good example and he had done the right thing in her opinion. She was not sure if this MacCartney person was still alive. Perhaps she could find him and ask if he had learned anything from his experience in the Grey family home. She reasoned that she had a right to know. The Greys were her family now as well.

Mai decided that she should journey to England with Thaddeus's permission and check on his home to make sure it was being properly cared for...after the party.

"You did the right thing, Ba-di-kun. They should learn respect for the homes of others. Lennon-san became a great man. "

Dawn did not seem to understand the story. It was a shame that it did not appeal to her but there were rules in the game. She pointed to the cup that Thaddeus was to drink.

"We are not in agreement, Thaddeus-san. You must drink."

She handed the die to Dawn and waited.

((OOC: Dawn rolls a 3 ))

"You must tell us a joke that makes us all laugh, Dawn-chan, or else drink from this cup."

She pointed to the third largest cup on the board.