Take Me Out To The Ball Game (attn: Ysabel)

No luck with the opera; Ambrose was sure he could have gotten tickets but if there was no production, it didn't do you any good to get tickets. Not wanting to walk around too much he'd improvised and was hoping for the best.

Glad he'd walked her home earlier in the week Ambrose was able to locate the condo, with only minor difficulty. Feeling slightly nervous, not much but enough, he parked his truck and walked to the door. He'd brought with him a spray of mini roses, a lovely coral color with some jasmine mixed in. It seemed like a good choice traditional but a little exotic; fitting considering Ysabel's seeming interest in the gardens.

Not one to stall once he'd made up his mind he knocked on the door.

Ysabel 18 years ago
Ysabel liked to think she wasn't stalking the door. Merely standing nearby. She had had several days to sleep on her decision to see Ambrose again, and was happy to find she was still in favor of it. She had no idea what he had planned for the evening, so she'd dressed simply in a grey and white evening gown with an empire waist, dotted here and there with blue and silver accents. She'd pulled the sides of her hair up and tied them together in an elaborate twist at the back of her head, leaving the rest of it to swing free.

At the knock on the door she jumped slightly, looked down, and smoothed out a few imaginary wrinkles, then moved to the door and opened it. She smiled up at Ambrose and held the door wider so he could step inside.

"I'm glad you remembered where to find me," she said.
Ambrose 18 years ago
"I'd have a very hard time forgetting you."

Offering her the flowers as he stepped in Ambrose paused for a second. Was he early? The way she was dressed it seemed as if shed just come from the Historical Society. Of course, maybe she'd wound up working late. In all fairness he hadn't told her where they were going so she wouldn't have known what was appropriate, but he felt as if he caught her off guard. The question was should he say anything?

"Did they keep you very late this evening?"

Ambrose was rather pleased with himself for that, feeling it was a lovely no pressure comment. Not that he minded being seen with her regardless of what she wore, but he didn't want Ysabel to be uncomfortable either.
Ysabel 18 years ago
Ysabel accepted the flowers with a smile... she adored spray roses and had to admire Ambrose's guesswork. She moved into the kitchen quickly, opening a cabinet and getting out a small glass vase. She filled it with warm water, quickly snipped the ends off the stems of the roses and jasmine, and carefully placed them into the vase. She brought it out with her and put it on the mantelpiece over the fireplace. "Thank you, Ambrose, they're lovely. I adore roses."
When he asked if they'd kept her late she looked blank for a moment. They who? Then it sank in and she realized what he was asking. She looked down at her gown and thought fast, not really having practiced any excuses for it. Fortunately Ambrose had just given her one. When she looked back up her face wore a sunny smile.

"They didn't keep me late, but these skirts are so difficult to move in that I trip on them when I'm climbing the stairs in some of those old houses. I thought perhaps it would be good practice. And since I haven't unpacked any of my nicer clothes yet..."

She let the sentence trail off. What an odd couple they would make tonight, Ambrose in jeans and his white dress shirt, her in her gown and cloak. Ysabel didn't usually care what anyone thought about her style of dress. If Ambrose was bothered by it, she had the wrong impression of him anyhow. She'd somehow assumed he might be above judging her by what she wore.

"Do you not approve?" Ysabel asked softly.

((ooc: trendy clothing by Ambrose))
Ambrose 18 years ago
"You're welcome, I'm glad you like them."

They'd moved beyond mister, that was wonderful and now Ambrose didn't have to worry so much about how to address her. He watched with appreciation how efficiently and thoughtfully she took care of the small gift, pleased she seemed to enjoy them and glad he hadn't gone with a dozen long stemmed red roses. That might have been over the top for a first date; thank god for good florists.

OK so her explanation didn't make much sense to him, but not ever having worn a skirt before he wasn't about to judge.

"I sure wouldn't want you to break your neck showing a bunch of tourists about."

Approve? She looked beautiful, he approved of that. His primary concern had been for her comfort and since he was at fault for not explaining there was no opera...

"You'll be the most stunning woman at the ballgame. But I'm sure you'd be the most stunning woman where ever we went."
Ysabel 18 years ago
"Ah, no. And believe me, there have been some near misses. I'm quite certain breaking my neck would put a damper on my move to Nachton." Ysabel knew the excuse wasn't her best, but what could she do? At any rate, Ambrose didn't scrutinize her dress any further... she hoped.

Well, the compliments were lovely and Ysabel wouldn't mind it if they kept coming... but... ballgame? That didn't sound like 'opera' to her.

"What ballgame?" Not that Ysabel minded a change of venue... she would have had a hard time explaining the fact that bright light hurt her eyes, particularly in small spaces with lots of reflective surfaces. She didn't know if that's how Nachton's opera house was set up, but the best time to find out would certainly not be on a first date with a man whose company she hoped to have more of.

Genuinely curious, she got her cloak from the closet and fastened it carefully about her shoulders. If they were to go to a ballgame she might end up a little chilly. She was familiar with American sports, but not very. She knew that soccer was like football and football wasn't like anything she knew at all, and that baseball was a good deal like rounders. Beyond that she wasn't a big sports fan as the noise and the lights could be disconcerting.

However, it was night time and the lights would be far above her. She'd probably be all right. And she didn't want to discourage Ambrose. He'd chosen their entertainment for the evening and gracous acceptance would only be proper.

"I've never been to a ballgame before. Not even in England. It should be fun, but I hope you won't mind explaining it to me."

The change from opera to ballgame was rather unexpected, but she thought she could perhaps envision Ambrose more at home in a stadium than a theatre. That might be a little bit unfair of her, as she was still getting to know him, but that was her unspoken opinion. She appreciated the fact that he hadn't settled for the boring old 'dinner and a movie' trick. Ysabel might decide later on that she didn't like ballgames, but until she tried one, she would be appreciative of his creativity.
Ambrose 18 years ago
"Sorry about that, but there isn't an opera showing this weekend. I would have called but..."

Ysabel herself had told him she didn't have a phone in place yet, but it was pretty poor planning on his part. He could have looked for a play or concert, dancing was more or less out but something more in keeping with the opera. Too late now.

He was surprised she again got the cloak, but figured if you were going to do something you might as well do it with conviction and a plain jacket would just look odd with her dress.

"Baseball, I us tickets to a baseball game. A little far back but still good seats."

Once she seemed ready to go he started them to the door, even though it was here house he opened it for her.

"Of course I don't mind, if you don't mind me occasionally making things up, but I'll tell you any thing you want to know."

He was rather pleased with himself for remembering to park with the passenger side next to the sidewalk rather than making her walk around. Leading her to the door he opened it with a smile, half bow and a bit of a flourish. It made him feel silly but at the same time he hoped she'd approve.

"Your chariot Miss Ysabel."
Ysabel 18 years ago
Ysabel frowned slightly at Ambrose's apology. She hadn't meant it to sound as though she disapproved. "It's all right. Maybe we can see the opera another time. I'm looking forward to my first baseball game."

She didn't know how big the stadium was, but it sounded like perhaps it might not be right under a floodlight. Even so, she couldn't avoid lights everywhere. She would manage, and at least floodlights tended to be easier to take, particularly outdoors at night with plenty of open space.

Ambrose held the door for her and she smiled at that. There weren't many cars out on the street, and she noticed the big pickup truck immediately. Was that Ambrose's? Apparently. She had never ridden in a truck before. Tonight would be a good one for first times, it seemed!

When he gave her a little bow, she giggled lightly and curtsied back, gathering her skirts and stepping up into the cab. They kept up a light stream of conversation during the ride, mostly Ysabel questioning Ambrose about both his truck and baseball, some sort of blues music playing softly underneath them. By the time they reached the park and preserve, just a ten minute drive or so, Ysabel thought she had the basics down.

Ysabel was glad that the parking lot seemed dim enough, even up close to the field in the handicapped spot they availed themselves of. Still, she took Ambrose's arm as they approached the entrance, slightly wary of the bright lights overhead and hoping they wouldn't be too bad as they emerged into them.
Ambrose 18 years ago
He hadn't meant to leave the CD player on, it was just a habit. He did turn it down though to make conversation easier. Doing his best to keep up with her questions, every once in a while he was surprised by something she'd say; it just seemed rather off. Most of it though he could pass off as her being from England and so didn't dwell on it. He also didn't dwell on using the handicap spot, one of the few benefits of missing a limb and he exploited it.

He lead her to the park and through the turn style. Her dress and cloak did attract some attention that Ambrose took as less than flattering. Those folks were rewarded with a cold harsh look that had most of them turning away quickly if not walking away out right.

They'd gotten there a little late and had missed the National Anthem and the teams were taking the field as they sat down.

"You good?" He asked with a smile "Let's see where to start... the visiting team bats first and we're on the third base side."

He cringed as the first pitch went wild and clobbered the batter who, after picking himself up and glaring at the pitcher, jogged to first.

"And that's a bad way to start the game."
Ysabel 18 years ago
Ysabel was slightly thrown off by the crowd and the lights but once she adjusted, they didn't seem too bad. She hung on tightly to Ambrose's free arm anyhow, and when she adjusted to the light and relaxed her eyes a bit more she found him glaring at people with fairly endearing hostility. Apparently her outfit had drawn more than a few stares, but she didn't mind. Most of the looks she attributed to her own looks, which she considered above the norm enough to draw at least some attention. That Ambrose seemed a little... protective... was sort of, well, cute.

She spread her cloak out underneath her and lifted her skirts a bit as she sat, then pulled the edges of her cloak over herself. It was a lovely night, but there was just a bit of a chill to the air. Ambrose asked if she was all right, and she nodded in return. She turned her attention to the game and watched as Nachton's pitcher tried to dismember the opposing team's batter.

"And here I'm going to start thinking it's more like rugby than rounders," she said with a laugh.

Ysabel realized around there that she was still holding onto Ambrose's arm... but he hadn't pulled it away, so she kept it in her possession and settled in to watch the game with slightly squinting eyes.
Ambrose 18 years ago
He was down right enchanted that she hadn't let go of his arm. It was such a simple thing, so casual but he couldn't do anything but be pleased. Her laugh was melodic and made him wish he was wittier so he could hear it more often.

"Another few pitches like that and it will probably seem more like boxing or a soccer riot."

Noticing she was squinting a bit, Ambrose was rather concerned. They were far enough back in the stands it wasn't too bright, but maybe she was having trouble making out what was happening on the field. Of course, he didn't have any binoculars. He'd watch her for a bit longer, it was remotely possible the team shop would have something like that, not probable but possible.

As the second batter approached the plate he wondered about the other game she'd mentioned. He'd heard the term before but through his life time he'd only seen baseball.

"I'm guessing rounders is more interesting than cricket, more like our baseball."
Ysabel 18 years ago
While Ysabel was by no means a rounders expert, the game had been around in some form or another since somewhere around the late 1400s. At that time she'd been fully enmeshed in courts and politics and working on her second marriage, but she still had more knowledge than she let on. What to tell was really the toughest decision.

"It's a good deal like this in theory," she said, leaning close to Ambrose so she didn't have to shout to be heard over the roar of the crowd as one of the visitors scored a run. "The bat is shorter and usually it gets swung with one arm, and there are posts in the ground rather than bases. The field is a different shape, too, and I would imagine the rules are a bit different. The principle is the same though; to run around the posts and score rounders or half-rounders."

"I really can't say much more about it than that. I never really paid any attention to it as a child. And cricket is far more complex. I can't even begin to describe the rules there."

Snuggling more deeply into the warm folds of her cloak and thankful she'd brought it rather than a light shawl, she narrowed her eyes down at the field. The lights weren't too bright as long as she kept her focus downward. Looking up at the scoreboard proved to be not such a good idea, as there was a large set of floodlights right next to it. Even so, she spared it a glance now and then to confirm what Ambrose was telling her and what she was able to glean from her own sketchy understanding of the rules... the Bandits were not doing so well.

Getting a little caught up in the game and the attentive company, Ysabel kept her questions coming until she was well-informed on the topics of stealing, taking leads, foul ball, pinch hitters, and shortstops.
Ambrose 18 years ago
While Ambrose didn't eat much there was something to be said for the occasional drink and when at a ballgame a beer was nearly a requirment. He flagged down a vendor, at least most parks had started serving in bottles, plastic bottles but it was better than a can.

"Did you want one? Or maybe something else?"

What did humans eat at baseball games these days? He wasn't sure. There had been a long time he hadn't been able to go to games like this, night games were a good thing.

After getting a response and his drink he ventured on.

"Have you gotten your horses in yet?"
Ysabel 18 years ago
Ysabel declined the offer of a beer; she might have tried it if she weren't afraid it could compound the inevitable headache the lights would probably cause by the end of the night. She asked for a coke instead, and was fine without food. She rarely ever ate anymore. She loved fresh fruit, but other than that she only nibbled here and there.

Thanking Ambrose, she sipped delicately at her soda, smiling up at him when he asked about her horses.

"They'll all be here in a few days. I've seen the barn though; it's lovely. I can't wait to have them around."

She tilted her head, considering for a moment. She'd mentioned it when they had coffee the other day but she wondered if he'd thought she was serious or not.

"Would you like to come ride with me after they've settled in? In a couple weeks perhaps? There's an indoor ring on the property, so even if it's evening, or rainy, we can take them out." Her eyes flickered down to his leg. "There's no reason that should stop you," she said softly, leaning close to be heard over the noise of the small, open stadium. "You know, they say you should get back on when you've fallen... or you'll never get on again."

A week or so would give her time to set up a decent stirrup so he needn't fear his foot getting stuck in it in case of an accident. She knew of the design she wanted, but it was for an English stirrup and would need to be modified for a western saddle. She didn't know which style he rode, but the western saddle would afford the most stability.
Ambrose 18 years ago
No she hadn't mentioned it, had she? Well sort of. Ambrose had to think about it, he sure didn't want to pass up a second date even if it meant pushing his luck. She was right, but he'd tried to get back on and hadn't gone well.

He took a long drink of his beer to cover his indecision. If he fell off and looked like an idiot where was that going to get him. It sure wouldn't be impressive, but maybe he'd get some sympathy going. Not the image he wanted to project but it might have some benefits.

"I'd like that very much actually."

He flashed her a playful, and if he were honest flirting shamelessly.

"But only if you promise to pick me up out of the dirt once or twice,"
Ysabel 18 years ago
Ysabel noted Ambrose's indecision and waited, measuring his response. Was she too forward in suggesting it? Was he that sensitive about missing a leg? He had seemed interested, and she hadn't thought she'd totally misread it. Richard had always said 'once a rider, always a rider' and in honesty, she was looking forward to having someone to ride with here in the US.

When he accepted, she beamed. "I shouldn't think I'll have to pick you up out of the dirt at all. But if it happens, I promise I'll do my best to get dirty too."

She didn't think it would be a problem... she had enough confidence and knowledge to advise him, and she knew it was entirely possible for him to ride. He just needed a bit more faith in himself. It was all a matter of balance.

Rather than lecture however, which would have been rude and wasn't her style, she simply reclaimed his arm with a smile and watched the continuing downfall of the Bandits.
Ambrose 18 years ago
For a smile like that Ambrose promised himself he wouldn't fall off. Even if he had to walk around on an old swayback with no personality he was going to get this right. Although the idea of Ysabel getting dirty was slightly appealing, but he had other ideas for that.

That might get to be a little tricky. Her cloths gave him one impression of her but her conversation another. It was hard to tell if he should be forward or formal. See this is why you didn't get involved with your meals, it could give you a headache. Although he had to admit he didn't see her as sustenance at this point. He wondered what the hell he was doing flirting with a human, but he didn't look at her as a meal.

"I'll do my best not to disappoint you, but I sure wouldn't mind having you pick me up. Wait, I think you may have already done that."

After all she was the one who'd half cornered him in the coffee shop, he's still been working up to asking her out.
Ysabel 18 years ago
Ysabel shook her head at the idea of having to pick Ambrose up off the ground. Her horses were far too well-trained to be skittish and she had a feeling his balance would be good enough that he wouldn't simply slide off. It might take a little while and some patience to re-learn everything to compensate for missing a leg, but it was possible. And if he wanted to, she was happy to help.

Too bad humans had such short lifespans. Ambrose was a sweet one. She laughed lightly at his pick-up comment but didn't argue. "I was always taught to be decisive," she said instead, "and not to deliberate unnecessarily when I discovered what I wanted."

Somewhere around the 7th inning the Bandits showed signs of life and managed to score a few runs, but by then Ysabel was starting to feel the effects of her frequent glances up into the floodlights at the scoreboard. The slight headache was compounded by the noises of the crowd and the game itself, and even though she was having a surprisingly good time, she found herself wishing for a nice, dark, quiet room and some Chopin.

She wasn't about to complain, however; Ambrose appeared to be enjoying himself and she liked his company. Those two factors alone were enough. She just looked away and surreptitiously rubbed her eyes, closing them for a few moments before turning to watch the game again.
Ambrose 18 years ago
That comment had Ambrose wondering just how decisive she could be and if it applied to more things than picking up the occasional cowboy in a garden. He was getting a little a head of himself though.

"You're welcome to be decisive any time you'd like"

It was nice to see the home team pull themselves out of the dirt, although it would still be a miracle if they won. Either way he was hoping the game would wind up quickly, it would be much easier to converse with Ysabel outside of the stadium.

Letting the rest of the crowd stand up to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the stretch he stole her hand again, noticing she'd rubbed her eyes.

"Allergies?"

It was early summer, late spring anyway, lots of people had hay fever.
Ysabel 18 years ago
Perceptive, Ysabel thought as she turned back to Ambrose. He didn't make a lot of noise about it, but there wasn't much he missed. She gave a little sigh, reluctant to voice any kind of complaint at all. She shook her head slightly, somewhat carefully, as the crowd in the small stadium began to sing some kind of chanting song.

"A headache," she admitted. "Just a small one though. I don't want to leave," she added, anticipating his next question. "It's just very loud, and bright."

Ysabel hesitated slightly before resting her head on Ambrose's shoulder. "Maybe I can just close my eyes for a minute or two?"

Something about him made her drop all pretense of formality. Oh, she definitely loved to play her games and flirt her way, but normally she stayed a bit more aloof for a longer time. Not so with Ambrose. He put her at ease.

"What are they singing?" she asked as the people around merrily continued to belt it out at the tops of their lungs. "I know I've heard it before but I didn't realize it was a baseball thing."
Ambrose 18 years ago
Migraine, that's what he figured. His mother had them and it wasn't a very comftorable thing for her. He was slightly surprised when she lay her head on his shoulder. He gently brushed some erant hair back away from her temple. It hadn't escaped its arangment but the long lose part had escaped, just slightly. He couldn't help but notice how soft it was.

More important he was happy she didn't want to leave. It wasn't that Ambrose enjoyed seeing her in apparent pain, but he did have a selfish streak in him.

"If that will make you feel better."

The last of the vendors packed it up just after the seventh so he was lucky to attract this one's attention, but he purchased a baseball hat, hoping it would help to shade her eyes and offer some relife. At the same time he tried to keep his own voice down, not that you could tell in a crowd like this.

"Its called Take Me Out to the Ball game. They always sing it during the seventh inning streach. I'm not sure why."

He lightly placed the hat on her head and it did indead cast a shadow over here eyes.