Coffee of Doom

Often accused of doing odd things to the coffee in IT Pak was rather surprised at Kem's indignation and snickered at him.

"Sure thing whatever you say."Â?

Waiting for Kem to open the door, she followed him in. It was now Pak's turn to get indignant, at least she pretended too, as he brought her age into things. Standing just inside the door, she slipped off her shoes before taking off both coats and carrying them as far as the couch.

"Picking on me for being less than a millennium old hardly seems sporting. I'm sure we were doing things in Siam before you desert rats ever came up with the idea. But I wasn't born then either."Â?

Hat, scarf and gloves joined the coats and Pak flexed her fingers a few times experimentally, making sure, they hadn't been damaged by the cold. They were slightly numb but that would take care of itself.

Satisfied she was no longer at the mercy of the elements she followed Kem into the kitchen.

"So let's see what you can do on your home turf. Impress me and I'll make those archivist lives hell for telling lies about you."Â?

Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem went straight to the kitchen after opening the door, leaving Pak to stash their various outer-gear wherever she saw fit; he kept it neat, but he wasn't a fanatic. At any rate, he was busy trying to clear his name of any coffee-related scandal, which was a welcome challenge in his opinion. There was a time for dwelling on your issues, and a time for setting them aside for a mental breather before plunging back in, and he was definitely at that point.

He was still disgruntled over the episode wih the coffeemaker. It really wasn't his fault... and it had been embarrassing that the lounge had smelled like burning coffee grounds for days. Slightly paranoid, he had to wonder if he was really known for that one incident... that, and his annoying cell phone ringtone.

Definitely intent on proving his ability to make a decent cup of coffee, he mentally shoved out one of the barstools at the island in the kitchen for Pak. "Have a seat... excellence like this takes a few minutes, you know."

Although there was little to no food in the refrigerator, there was definitely coffee in the pantry. Only when he'd chosen a personal favorite (an aromatic African blend) did he then address Pak's comments.

"So I'm a desert rat? This coming from the woman so bundled up she was waddling like a penguin? Are you sure hypothermia hasn't set in yet? It might take a few minutes to regenerate your frozen fingertips..."

One of these days she was going to throw something at him that wasn't a screwdriver or a packet of sugar. Kem realized he had better hone his reflexes where Pak was involved... there were a lot of heavy things in his kitchen.
Pakpao 18 years ago
"Waddle?!"

Pak didn't even think she mentally grabbed hold of the closest thing to Kem, unfortunately it was the package of coffee filters and Pak would have preferred something more substantial, and tossed it at Kem's head. Vampire or not you did -not- tell a woman she waddled.

"I'm a delicate tropical creature."

Not that you would know it biased on that lovely display of manners, but the next time Kem made a remark like that he was going to get a frying pan to his knee cap. Waddle indeed.

The coffee smelled wonderful and just the idea of having some made her feel a great deal warmer.

"If my fingers had frozen and fallen off I'm sure you'd be the first to notice. Probably would have picked them up and run off to sell them to science."
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Fortunately Kem was prepared as the 'delicate tropical creature' hurled the package of filters at him. Catching it with a thought just before it hit his face, he poked his head out from behind it to peer at Pak with wide-eyed innocence.

"You can waddle and still be considered attractive, you know," he pointed out, a very small voice in his head sending off warning bells which he ignored. "Penguins, for example. They waddle... and everyone loves penguins."

He gently removed the filters from Pak's sight, replacing them in the cupboard he'd gotten them from. In retrospect he supposed he should have left them out. He'd just left her with a whole lot more painful ammunition. At least the filters wouldn't have hurt if he'd happened to miss their coming. He'd just have to stay alert.

Reaching up to the cabinet overhead, he turned his back briefly to Pak so she couldn't tell what he was doing, and made two quick additions to the filter in place, then started the coffee brewing. Kem turned back around fairly quickly, well aware that the rack over Pak's head was holding all kinds of pots and pans.

"I couldn't sell your nasty frozen fingertips to science," he pointed out, very likely putting the proverbial nail into his own coffin. "They'd just be a pile of ash. I need the whole you or no payoff. And you'd have to be slightly alive still... so actually, hypothermia might be good."
Pakpao 18 years ago
The trouble with throwing things at another telekinetic was they could catch them and often tended to be prepared for such out bursts.

Pak just looked incredulously at Kem. He really was out to dig his own grave wasn't he? Penguin! And the crack about selling her slightly alive to science was -not- helping his cause.

She quietly took down a small frying pan from the rack above her head, but rather than attack Kem outright set it on the counter where she could get at it easier before randomly opening cabinets looking for coffee cups. They'd need them, and they were better ammo, smaller harder to dodge but more substantial than coffee filters. But other than the slightly menacing action with the frying pan Pak went back to looking composed.

"Do you have sugar?"

Finding the cups, being her extremely helpful self, she set them down next to the coffee pot.

Pak wondered how Aishe dealt with this side of Kem. The young woman seemed rather serious, at least too serious to know how to deal with the vampiric answer to Groucho Marx.

"I'm not sure I approve of your sudden interest in cryogenics. At the very least I don't think this neighborhood is properly zoned to allow you to keep vats of liquid nitrogen around."

She idly spun the frying pan, none too subtly reminding Kem it was there. But some days subtlety was over rated.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem was learning to be very wary of Pak when she didn't retaliate verbally. He noted his frying pan on the counter with a raised eyebrow. Pak was rummaging around in his cabinets now the way only a telekinetic could, and he watched with amusement when she finally found two coffee mugs and set them oh-so-helpfully on the counter.

At her request for suger he nodded and produced the sugar bowl from one of the lower cabinets. Leaning back against the counter as the coffee brewed, he considered the ramifications of liquid nitrogen vats and shook his head easily.

"No way. I'd pay if I were going to go in for cryogenics. I wouldn't risk all that around my C64."

The frying pan was now spinning above the counter, and Kem's suspicions were confirmed... a silent Pak definitely meant a more threatening Pak. Forunately she'd picked the wrong game. He had the upper hand here.

With a smirk he reached out and mentally wrested the frying pan from her, setting it down inside one of the cabinets beneath the counter and bending his knee to hold the door closed with his foot.

"Didn't anyone teach you to play nice with the other telekinetics?"
Pakpao 18 years ago
"You should move the 64 into the house, better for it and then it frees up space for the liquid nitrogen."

Now that was not nice taking away her frying pan like that. Pak was tempted to try and retrieve it from Kem, but remembering how good a grip he'd had on the screwdriver she decided that was probably a very bad idea. Instead she took another frying pan down from the rack and set it on the counter next to her.

"Apparently the same person who taught you how to talk to women. The mention of waddling will earn you retaliation."

As the coffee brewed Pak was beginning to think she was going to have to make the archivist eat their words it smelled absolutely wonderful, with an extra spice and sweetness to it beyond the standard coffee goodness. Now if it would just finish brewing...
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
"For someone accusing me of having a cryogenics fetish, you're awfully obsessed with liquid nitrogen," Kem observed.

Stubborn, he also noted, as Pak retrieved another pan from the rack overhead. His mouth twitched in amusement as he tugged that one away as well, stacking it neatly on top of the other one in the cabinet. He was curious as to how many pots and pans she'd threaten him with for the waddling comment.

"Hey, that's below the belt," he protested at her jab at his skills with women. "And I meant it as a compliment! Everyone loves penguins, even if they do waddle!"

That probably hadn't come out the way he'd intended. If anything else he'd probably just gotten himself in more trouble. He figured it might be best just to shut up and be extra wary of flying objects, and perhaps he could redeem himself with the coffee, which was just about finished.

He pulled a small container of milk out of the fridge and set it beside the sugar bowl, adding two spoons as well, and then removing the carafe from the brewer and carrying it with him across the kitchen.

"Coffee, as the lady requested," he said with his sweetest and most innocent smile.
Pakpao 18 years ago
"You need liquid nitrogen for the cryogenic process. I would have thought you'd know that. I'm simply trying to help."

He took the other pan and Pak almost laughed, she might just threaten him with every single pot in the rack. Just to see what he'd do, he couldn't possible take them all away from her. Could he?

He didn't just say that! Pak though sure they had passed the waddling stage, but apparently Kem didn't want to let it go. In two hundred plus years she'd never been accused of waddling and if Kem kept this up either he would get a frying pan to the knee cap or she'd develop a complex. The frying pan was more likely.

Rather than go for the pot rack again Pak got hold of one of the spoons and tossed that at Kem's head while innocently pouring her coffee and adding some sugar. She used the non-thrown spoon to stir it and sipped at Kem's handy work.

"That's actually quite good. I suppose I'll have to make your critics suffer."
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
"I do know that," Kem stated. "My point is, I'm obviously not the only one. Someone else has obviously considered it!"

His politely-placed spoon was thrown back at him and he caught it smartly in his left hand, flipping it over to shake it at her as if in reprimand.

"Has it ever occurred to you that you have a latent violent streak about ten miles wide?"

Pulling out the second bar stool he perched on it and poured himself a cup of coffee as well, adding milk and sugar and stirring. He allowed himself a satisfied smile when Pak voiced her approval. "You did promise to champion my coffee-making cause if it met your standards. I told you we Egyptians have been making coffee for centuries!"
Pakpao 18 years ago
"It slipped."

Pak said with practiced wide eyed innocence as Kem threatened her with the spoon.

"And even if it hadn't, I don't think ten miles is an accurate estimation."

It actually all depended on when you caught her. In a depression Pak was very likely to seriously throw things without regard for the safety of the object or the people around her. She'd destroyed at least two chess sets that way and had finally gotten smarted and kept the good set out of plain sight or easy access; leaving a more plain set for every day use. It didn't cost as much to replace.

"Besides we aren't talking about my few and extremely minor flaws this evening."

What could she do to help Kem recover is coffee making reputation? It shouldn't take too much to do some minor reprograming. Of course, she didn't want to make too much more work for herself or generate a million calls to tech support, just irritate the others and make them regret their rash judgment. It would have to be looked into.

"Well one Egyptian any way. What did you put in here?"
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Pak was right, Kem thought, for once remaining silent. Ten miles was far too generous. Pak's violent streak extended for at least several states in either direction, if not spanning the entire continent.

He shook his head at her 'few and minor flaws' and chuckled softly. Kem very nearly informed her that he actually hadn't been making coffee for centuries; for a long time after his first trip to Japan he'd become an avid tea-drinker, and it hadn't actually been until relatively recently (maybe in the last 200 years or so) that he'd discovered the joys of coffee. Regardless, he wasn't off-base in claiming the Egyptians had been among the first to make it.

He gave Pak a sigh of mock reluctance when she asked about the ingredients he'd used; it was really no scret but he couldn't resist pulling her leg just a bit. "Ground vanilla bean and a bit of nutmeg," he said. "If you add them to the coffee gronds before you start brewing it gives just a little more flavor."

Kem paused and furrowed his brow. "I don't even remember who I learned that from." Then he flashed her an apologetic grin. It had been too long ago, one couldn't remember every little bitty detail. She could blame ot on his age.
Pakpao 18 years ago
More flavor, OK she’d buy that. But most of the people in her department plain refused to drink Pak’s coffee believing it to be lethal. It wasn’t that the spoon would stand up in it so much as dissolve. Not that it matter much as she also tended to lave her coffee on the desk and forget about it only to drink it stone cold a few hours later. If she hadn’t already been dead, that sort of habit probably would have killed her.

“The memory is the first thing to go.”

She sipped her coffee and wondered when exactly Kem was going to start throwing things. He was far too patient, although he had great reflexes.

Pak was waiting for him to bring up Aishe again, the mental and emotional breather couldn’t last all night. She felt rather responsible for the two of them, for Aishe responsible wasn’t the right word, but she was determined to keep Kem from doing something rash. However, she was equally determined not to be the one to bring it up.

“You wouldn’t want to make the occasional field trip upstairs and make our coffee you?”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem turned his coffee into something resembling a milk-and-sugar slurpee and gave a little laugh at Pak's comment about memory.

"I wish," he muttered.Then he shook his head and gave her a little shrug. "I'm sorry. Force of habit."

Whoops, don't go getting all wierd. Particularly not when he had so many other issues on his mind that night. Like usual, the second things got tough he was regressing into old habitual behaviors. He didn't want to do that at all.

"Field trip?" He asked, raising one eyebrow. Then he took in the rest of Pak's words. A slight hesitation. "How far upstairs are we talking? And what are you saying... that after flinging rumors of how bad my coffee making was one that one poorly-documented incident, you people in IT have not a single decent coffee-brewer, yourself among them?"

He crossed his arms. It was almost too good to be true. "Amazing."
Pakpao 18 years ago
Pak gave Kem a rather cold hard warning look, essentially ‘Do not even go down that road. Not tonight.’ There was enough for him to think about without dragging up the past. The present was proving quite complicated enough.

She nodded once when Kem seemed to catch himself. She took that as a sign of encouragement, maybe Aishe would be good for him.

“Fifth floor, I’m in the corner.”

It was obnoxiously good coffee, and much more satisfying than paying six bucks for something and then having to hoof it back to her office.

Paying undo attention to the pot rack Pak mumbled,

“Most of them sort of refuse to drink my coffee they seem to think it’s lethal.”

Oh look non-lethal coffee, Pak absently stir it, even though there was no reason too and gaped at Kem.

“And most of their's is just... pathetic really. Besides, I never said your coffee was nasty. I was merely relying reports, no matter how inaccurate.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Fifth floor. Manageable with only slight sweating. Corner office, not so inspiring. Lots of windows. Maybe the coffee maker would be in a nice safe windowless break room or something. Regardless, he owed Pak not just for the counseling session, but for the fun new software down in the archives.

Somewhat reluctantly, he nodded. "I suppose I could make a guest appearance in your area of the building. If for no other reason than to clear my sullied name."

He shook his head at her stubbornness, putting a firm telekinetic kabosh on any more removing-of-the-pans-from-the-rack.

"If it will keep you from disassembling my entire kitchen tonight, I will come up tomorrow and wow your staff with my elite coffee-making prowess. How about that?"
Pakpao 18 years ago
She hadn’t been aware that she’d been eyeing the pot rack, it was more like Pak had been avoiding eye contact with Kem while admitting she was a coffee making failure. So when he put the pots under lock down Pak started and looked at Kem slightly confused, which gave way to a twisted smile.

“You aren’t afraid of me are you? Or maybe you fear your pots and pans turning on you?”

It would be an odd nightmare, being tormented by pots and pans for the rest of eternity. Perhaps she should send Kem and Aishe a nice new cook set as a housewarming present, assuming they ever got their issues worked out.

Not understanding Kem’s reluctance to make his way to their section of the building, after all, she’d braved the archives, Pak raised an eyebrow.

“I’m not sure the rest of us will know what to do with an archivist. I’ve got at least one intern who thinks you all are products of a deranged imagination and we were wasting our time developing your data base.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem looked at Pak blankly for a moment before realizing some of his delight and joy at taking the stairs must have shown on his face. Hastily smoothing his own features out, he gave Pak his quick grin.

"Afraid of you? Why not? You're gong to wait until my defenses drop and then clobber me over the head with a stockpot. If any of my kitchenware turns on me, I'll know who to find for retaliation."

Kem couldn't manage to suppress a wince, though, at the thought of being chased by his own kitchenware. Oh, the headaches. Literally!

"I don't see why you have to encourage your interns." He settled for going with the flow of the topic change; maybe Pak would forget why she wanted him dead under a pile of frying pans. "And somehow, I am fairly certain that you're encouraging them. I don't know if it's an anti-archivist conspiracy or what, but we're going to have to start traveling in packs if this continues. And if you think one archivist in your office could be an issue, imagine if I bring five more along with me! Archivists everywhere... going through your files, playing with your computers... maybe I will bring some friends!"

Kem gave Pak his most cheerful, if not best-practiced, look, and topped off both mugs with the remaining coffee in the carafe.
Pakpao 18 years ago
“I would –never- hit you over the head with a stockpot.”

Because she didn’t know which one the stock pot was, OK that meant that she probably wouldn’t hit him with the stockpot after all it could happen accidentally.

Apparently the interns had been talking out of turn, but she didn’t keep the same hours as most of them. Wait, that meant that it was her staff that was the problem, spreading rumors. That wasn’t surprising, it was like them and it figured that they would be taken the wrong way.

“Encourage them because it inspires creativity, so unless you want another program hopelessly dependant on the operating system of death and a greedy bastard’s good graces, you won’t discourage them.”

Did it show that she preferred to deal with Linux and her own handy work?

Archivist traveling in packs, she snickered involuntarily. Pak had this image of the archive staff sticking there heads just above cubical walls, or out of the archive doors, rather like prairie dogs to see if it was safe to come out.

“Bring the whole department, the more the merrier. But if you think I’m letting them push buttons we’re going to have to talk. This is a strictly ‘keep your hands and arms inside the car, please don’t feed, poke, prod or annoy the techies’ type tour.”

She sipped at the caffinated goodness again, now craving a clove as well.

“With the exception of the coffee making of course.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Pakpao
"I would -never- hit you over the head with a stockpot."Â?

Kem did his best to flutter his eyelashes at Pak. "Aw. How touching. You do care."

But he was forestalled in any further attempt to needle her by a steady flow of not-so-idle threat regarding the stability of the archives' beloved new programming. Beneath that assault, Kem held his hands up and laughed.

"All right, all right. I'll behave. And I won't bring the entire department... do you honestly think the same people you so heartily encouraged to do their best in breaking the new program would keep their twitchy little fingers off your buttons?"

With a placating smile, Kem shook his head. "I will come in response to your coffeemaking request. Because I have a tarnished reputation that needs fixing. And I will be meek, quiet, angelic, and the very soul of good behavior."

Even as he said it, he had a rather happy vision of an entire set of screwdrivers circling an oblivious Pak overhead. Glancing at his watch, he noticed it wasn't quite as close to morning as he'd thought. With a sly smile he topped off the mugs with the remaining coffee in the carafe and stood, with a sweeping gesture down the hallway to Pak.

"If the lady would care for it, I think we have a rematch with Carmen. Sober, this time. I can't bear the humiliation of losing again."

He would have his work cut out for him with his phone call in the morning, but for now he just had to let it stew on the backburner and try his best not to run screaming out of Nachton. Bravery never had been his forte, but at least he could admit that.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Pak rolled her eyes at Kem’s mushy moment and declaration of her caring. Okay, yes she did but that didn’t mean she was above throwing things, indeed it might encourage her to throw things just to get his attention when he was being dim.

At least she’d won a small battle and they wouldn’t be invaded by the whole of the archive staff. Although, now that Kem mentioned it maybe her team deserved a field trip, unannounced of course, so they could observe the database in action and how it was really being used. Suspicious of Kem’s promise to be good, angelic even, Pak decided she would defiantly need to bring everyone down to the archives.

“If the end result is good coffee I’ll risk your presence and we’ll see what we can do about your reputation.”

She laughed outright at the idea of another game of Carmen. It was a game designed for nine and twelve year olds. Even completely smashed they should have been able to win after all they had eighteen hundred years of experience and history between them.

“All right, you’re on. But if we lose again I will be blaming it on you. That and writing the company to complain.”

Even though he seemed to be doing much better, Pak had a suspicion that if she left now Kem would mind up wearing out the beach with more pacing. So, distraction was the order of the evening.

Picking up her coffee, she followed Kem down to the C64 while plotting how to smuggle the old machine out of his garage and back to her place.

((OOC… both out.))