good news / bad news

Yikes, what a day!

I've been trying to find a job since I got laid off. The problem I seem to be running into is rather simple ~ I'm overqualified for half the jobs and underqualified for the rest. This has been frustrating to say the least. So I went for another interview yesterday... and was basically told I was overqualified for the position. *grumble*

So I was surprised when I got a call at 8:30 this morning that they want me to start Monday. Especially when they said they hadn't planned on whoever got the job actually starting til the end of the month. So that was a great way to start my day. Changed my plans quite a bit, since the errands I planned on running next week had to be taken care of today. Oh well, busy, busy...

So I'm out running errands when the daycare calls. When they explain the problem, my day pretty much crashes. 7 mos ago my doctor determined the problems we were having with my son were lactose intolerance. We switched him to a soy-based formula and the problems were gone in 48 hours. Kewl. So the daycare is now describing to me exactly what happened 7 mos ago. This week we started switching him to Lactaid, since it's time to move him off formula.

Turns out the kid's not lactose intolerant ~ he's allergic to milk. So I have a very miserable one year old.... not the way I wanted to end my afternoon. So now we're trying soy milk instead. I hope this is the solution ~ there is nothing worse than a child who is progressively fussier and fussier and can't tell you what is wrong and where it hurts...

Mathias 18 years ago
Well as the parent of a 5 yr old I understand your frustration Fiona...Sorry to hear your son is in pain,hoping the soy milk works!

Grats on the job too!!

(The Career service at school has been running hot and cold for me...either its Desktop support for 10/hr or Senior Network engineer for 75k/yr)
Alexandra 18 years ago
Good to hear about the job /hug but it really sucks about your son, I have a 2 year old myself and I know how hard it can be when your child isn't feeling well and becomes fussier by the minute.

I'm lucky that Fleur doesn't have anything like food allergies, she's getting her lest 4 teeth at the moment which means her sleeping badly

Hope everything works out with the soymilk and the new job
Nyra 18 years ago
Good to hear you got the job! Even overqualified. Perhaps they will be pleased with the diverse skills you bring to the job!

Milk is one of the big eight allergens. As a vegan and a sufferer of severe lactose intollerance I highly recommend Silk Soy Milk. Though there are many good brands out there as well. You could dry Rice Dream or Soy Dream too. Good luck with the little one!

ps. If you would like any information or links for non dairy cooking / life please feel free to pm me.
Ginnie 18 years ago
Congrats on the job!

I feel your pain with the milk allergy. My kiddo finally out grew it around two and does fine with milk. We have to severely limit her intake, but so long as she has around 3 servings a day and no more she does fine. If she has more she'll get a tummy ache. *huggles for the baby*
Aishe 18 years ago
Awww, grats on the job... I know how that feels. Jobs meant for entry-type folks with 4 year degrees like me in my field are going to MA's and PhD's, so unless you've gone thru graduate school you're screwed. Hence my being an underpaid bookstore worker.

And GL with the allergies... I had horrible allergies when I was a kid; not food allergies but pretty bad ones nonetheless and after a few years of treatment I manage just fine! So don't get down about it... your little one will be ok!! Just stay positive.
Simon Huntington 18 years ago
Grats! We thought catherine was lactose intolerant too, Mike was when he was growing up but grew out of it. Still has a sensitive stomach though. The child, however, will eat anything. =D
Maeve 18 years ago
Congrats on the job! I know how much stress that has to take off of you.

And SO sorry to hear about the kiddo. Yes fussy kiddos that can't tell you what's wrong are the worst. My little one is unfortunately showing signs of having her mommies tummy problems which mean most of the time fine. It's the not fine times that are the worst though. Nasty, nasty stomach cramps that bring us both to tears and trouble going. With any luck it will get better for her and not worse. I however am in love with whoever invented Zelnorm...hehe.
Fiona 18 years ago
Thanks guys!

Well, kiddo is so not a happy camper this evening. He's better as the ickies are going away. Hopefully tomorrow will see my chipper little demon back. It took letting him help me clean the ferret cage to distract him from his fussing (and I use the term helping VERY loosely... he has this thing about the doors to the cage being open ~ drives him nuts. never mind that your arm is IN the darn thing when he closes it...). I sincerly hope he grows out of this one. my other two had similiar problems with fruit... that was easy to cope with compared to this mess...
Alec Devereaux 18 years ago
Ugh. Lactose intolerance = easy. Milk allergy = no fun. Good luck with that...and grats on the job. Anything is better than nothing, and anything in your field is to be applause-worthy!
Alfarinn 18 years ago
I agree with Nyra silk soy milk is probably the best way to go and it tastes pretty good. Poor Rae was allergic to milk when she was younger...we did NOT in any way eat ice cream and other things in front of her... that would be mean.

Congratz on the job!!! Things will get better =)
Shay 18 years ago
Congrats on the job!
And good luck with the wee one. It's always rough when your kids have difficulties, but good that they're so easily assisted, and able to be dealt with.