Learning How To... (attn: Connie)

Yawning as she woke from her late afternoon nap, Rachyl rolled over in their huge bed. She always felt like she was swimming in cotton, silk, or satin, depending on their sheet craving for the week, and this afternoon was no exception. The crinkle of several pamphlets stopped her lazy roll; she turned back over and swiped them into a pile, then dropped them off the bed.

She was getting tired of reading pamphlets. She was ready to go back to the Bank to make her withdrawal.

Unfortunately, Nature didn't want to coincide with her craving and desire. The fertility tests still showed negative results; luckily Meegan had bought a large box of more than two dozen of the little testers. A matching box of pregnancy tests sat unopened on the floor next to the double vanity. She barely afforded them a glance as she went about her business freshening up and brushing her teeth.

Refreshed, nature's call answered, and breath minty clean, Rachyl leaned into the walk-in closet. She wished they'd finish it soon; living off the clothes supported by the temporary hangers and hooks in their main bedroom was starting to cause wrinkles and "already wore that" confusion.

She found Meegan in the office, scratching away at her makeshift drafting table. Giving her lover a sound, passionate kiss, she bid her good evening.
"You really should try to get out of the house, hon," she entreated, but the designer would have none of it.

After mumbling something about spring and maternity lines, Rachyl hugged Meegan carefully from behind.
"Well if you're still sitting at this desk when I get back, I'm going to drag your ass - and the rest of you! - upstairs and give you a proper lashing."

Waggling her tongue at the designer, drawing a pursed-lip-look that spoke volumes, Rachyl laughed and headed out to the front porch to await the cab she'd called before her nap.

She wasn't waiting long; she'd barely sat down on the top step when the cab pulled into the driveway.

(( meegan present w/ permission ))

Connie 18 years ago
A whirlwind spun around the walls and floor of 29A California Boulevard. When it stopped, the tall, curvy figure of a nude woman, topped with a haphazardly brushed mop of raven hair scratched her head confusedly.

She would have opened the two doors to bother Nyra about her missing keys, as she mentally retraced her steps from that morning.

Talking out loud, as if the echo would assist her in that endeavor, she walked back to the door saying to herself,
"Got the call from Rachyl, opened the door, came in, put my purse down, dropped my phone." Walking up the stairs, she snapped her fingers as she reached the top, then turned around and climbed back down.

Returning to the door, she slid it open, reached her hand around to the lock, and tugged out her keys.

She dressed quickly for work, rebrushed her hair, grabbed her cell phone and purse and headed out of the loft.

"I think I want a new hair do," she thought to herself. "Something short, something frizzy, something different. I've had the black bob for over ten years," she reminded herself, then caught herself short. "Wow, ten years." Shaking her head at herself, she reached the bottom of the stairs just as Rachyl stepped out of a cab.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl paid the fare and climbed out of the cab. She saw Connie coming out of the door at the bottom of the stairs and approached her and gave her a hug. "Hi Connie."

She walked with the taller woman to the blue Saturn and waited by the passenger door. "If you don't mind, I think there's just one stop I need to make... we need to stop at a convenience store for ginger ale and plastic bags."

When the raven haired woman's well-defined eyebrow arched, Rachyl explained, "I have a dreadful fear of driving, but I need to learn."
Connie 18 years ago
Unlocking her door, Connie slid into the driver's seat and reached over to unlock Rachyl's. As the diminutive redhead got in then closed the door, Connie reached to turn down the radio as she started the engine. "So while we drive, you need to tell me why you didn't ask Meegan or Nyra to teach you, instead of me."

Putting the car into reverse, she pulled out of her spot, then drove them out of the garage.
Rachyl 18 years ago
"Well, it's pretty simple actually. I didn't ask Nyra because she's been so exhausted lately, I didn't think having her behind the wheel and teaching me at the same time would be a good idea. You really need to tell her the truth, Connie, because she's driving herself ill by trying to match your rhythms."

She paused a moment or two as she collected her thoughts to answer why she didn't want to learn from Meegan. "You know that slightly freaked feeling you get when a new lover tells you, 'oooh, just go a little bit to the right?' Well that's when you and she are both stationary in bed and your tongue is the only thing that moves, and it only moves a quarter of an inch. Multiply that freaky feeling by four thousand pounds and sixty miles per hour, and you can imagine why I don't want Meegan teaching me how to drive."
Connie 18 years ago
Rachyl was right, Connie knew deep inside, and she really did need to tell her. She resolved to do so before the end of the week.

At the younger woman's next explanation, Connie snorted. If she'd had a mouthful of water, she would have spit it all over the windshield. "My God, Rachyl!"
Rachyl 18 years ago
Smirking, Rachyl quipped, "You know, that's what Meegan said the first time she directed me that quarter of an inch, though not quite with that tone of 'holy wow that's too much information and by all that's holy that's one horrible and yet probably extremely apt description'. So, don't feel bad, but you've got to help me, Connie Stone-kenobi, you're my only hope."

She buried her face in her shoulder, lost in a fit of giggles.
Connie 18 years ago
Connie shook her head repeatedly, trying to shake images and unresolved gigglefits from her brain. At the next stoplight, she asked sternly, "You've been storing those two lines up since you decided to ask me, haven't you."

She looked over to Rachyl, whose face was lined with an almost angelic innocent expression. She shook her head again, and made the turn onto Mall Drive.

(( out to The Strip ))