(S)He Who Has the Most Toys...

Kem pulled up into the driveway, leaving more than enough room for Pak to park off the road. He waited for her on the doorstep and let her proceed him inside, turning the lights on as they went.

There was something... zen-like... about being someplace with a friend who wasn't going to judge you, because their issues were damn similar. Kem didn't have to remind himself not to make anything float around, and even the fact that he could send to Pak if he chose was a good thing. Every once in a while it was therapeutic to remember who and what you actually were, especially when you lived a double life. It was perhaps the most annoying bit about being a vampire. There was the 'out in the public' facade and the 'with people in-the-know' face as well.

"It's not huge, so you won't be getting lost I would hope. Living room and movies that way," he gestured to the living room, "drinks straight ahead in the kitchen, and interesting toys in the garage. Your choice."

A flicker in the corner drew his attention. "The furball is Zoe. She may or may not come out."

((ooc: permission to move Pak... again. And permission for Pak to move Kem throughout the thread. You know what damnit, Pak can just have moverights for crying out loud. I mean seriously. I'm just going to forget to put my permissions up like a good little admin. So there. Yay moverights. Go Pak go! Where's my Pirin?))

Pakpao 18 years ago
There was no smoking in the car. No smoking, no eating, no drinking (not even water), ordinarily this didn’t bother Pak but now was not a good time to deprive herself. But she did have some self-discipline.

Parking the car, she made an effort not to run to the door. Even the short walk was too long, it was in the thirties for god’s sake. Relived to be back inside she immediately took off her shoes and set them by the door with her laptop. It was an odd habit to keep for 200 years, but it was hers and she didn’t even ask first.

“Trying to tempt me with toys? What do you blow up in your spare time?”

OK so she was momentarily sidetracked. It also occur to her she did still have the pen Artemis had given her. It had made its way into her pocket this afternoon and hadn’t gotten put back on her desk.

“The cat doesn’t like compay?”

((OOC… what Kem said… except less swearing))
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
"Well, I try not to blow anything up," Kem said, removing his shoes as well. "Mostly because it scares the neighbors, and they already think I'm odd enough."

The one neighbor, anyhow... the others, he actually quite liked. He babysat for their kids on occasion. Not that he was going to admit that to Pak. He'd already given her enough ammunition for one evening.

He showed her to the garage, which was as clean as the rest of the house, so being barefoot was a non-issue.

"The laboratory," he said, turning the lights on. "Feel free to poke around."
Pakpao 18 years ago
Takes all the fun out of things, trying not to blow them up. She didn’t dwell on that thought as Kem’s lab made her smile. It look familiar, to a few things. Gently nosing about she took a quick inventory, old radio, clock, the RC car was her favorite so far.

“I’ll have to show you the museum I keep in my hall closet. I think it would be right up your alley.”

Pay dirt! There was no way that was what it appeared to be, so Pak had to take a closer look. This had to be one of the only two like it in Nachton. If it was working probably one the only one in New England. Who in their right mind, other than her, kept a Commodore 64? Hers was currently out of commission, it needed some work and she hadn’t been inspired in a while.

“Tell me it boots.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem watched Zoe's tail again as she tried to stealthily follow them, returning to Pak's previous question about the cat. "No, she's a bit on the shy side. She might warm up eventually, but for now she's just going to stalk us."

As he suspected, Pak was pretty keen on the treasure trove of other peoples' junk he kept in the garage. Kem's tastes in gadgets didn't run much along the lines of inventing, so much as repairing and improving on old ones. He wasn't surprised when she found the old C 64.

Pakpao
"Tell me it boots."Â?

Kem nodded agreeably. "All right. It boots."

Then, to prove he wasn't pulling her leg, he added, "Go for it." The C 64 stood on its own small table in the corner, all she had to do was turn it on. Kem leaned against the wall with expectant satisfaction. He certainly wasn't the computer wizard she was, but he'd worked hard on this baby and he was proud of it.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Turning back, she got another look at the cat in question. At least she knew she was being stalked, that way if there was an attack she would be prepared.

“A very wise strategy.”

Down to business, Pak switched on the old machine and got an odd sidewise sort of grin on her face. Far too few people had held on to these relics, the 64s deserved better than to be remembered only by technophiles and hard-core geeks.

Once given a command prompt her fingers danced over the keyboard nosing through every part of the system. She ran a few applications just for kicks. It wasn’t perfect she hadn’t used the language in a long time and made a few mistakes here and there but it was like ridding a bicycle.

“You are a truly sick man and I approve. When did you pick this up?”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Pakpao
"You are a truly sick man and I approve. When did you pick this up?"Â?

Kem quirked an eyebrow up at Pak. "Thank you, I think. I got it about eight months ago or so, from ah... a friend. Or rather, a friend's father."

Aishe's father, to be exact, a software designer who'd been thrilled to find a home for the old 64 when Kem had taken a liking to it. It seemed the man was every bit as big a pack rat as Kem was where electronics were concerned, but he'd never found the time to fool with it. He'd been overjoyed to know Kem had gotten it working again.

The memory combined with his rapidly diminishing poor mood brought on a pang of regret. It caught him by surprise and he momentarily counted himself lucky to already be leaning against the wall. Did he miss Aishe's family?

Shaking himself back to reality, he gestured at the computer. "It has all the classics," he said. "I couldn't get it functioning and not find Pac-Mania for it as well."
Pakpao 18 years ago
An odd gift, mind you Pak wouldn’t mind having a few more friends like that.

Some more skipping about and she confirmed that Kem had made a true statement. She’d be looking for him to harbor a fugitive Atari next. Ordinarily this would have provided an excellent diversion for Pak who could happily lose herself for hours with a computer.

The past, however, was not so easy to escape and she was currently feeling extremely disjointed; fighting about five different distinct urges and feeling. Although she was making a valiant effort to keep that from Kem, it wouldn’t be fair to him to go completely out of whack, he had after all rescued her from her boredom.

Part of her own confusion was concern that she’d reminded him of things better left forgotten as well.

“I get the distinct feeling we could both use a drink.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Reminded of his lack of hospitality, Kem looked for some way to blame his lapse on Pak but couldn't find one. His face flushed and he dropped his head forward, his trusty curtain of hair hiding his embarrassment.

"That was rude of me. Drink of choice?"

Vaguely, in the back of his head, Responsible-Goody-Two-Shoes-Kem mentioned that he was drinking an awful lot lately. Make-Mine-A-Double-Kem, however, squashed that without a backward glance and galloped off to the kitchen, leaving the garage door open so he could hear Pak's request from where she was.

Sometimes dealing with your issues required a little assistance. Pak apparently had learned that as well as Kem.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Dangerous question but Pak didn’t feel like she could make the decision, too much unnecessary thinking.

“Whatever I really don’t think it matters right now.”

Hoping for the best, water was not going to cut it, she went back to hunting about on the computer. She found old game, one she hadn’t seen in quite a while and for lack of anything better to do brought it up. Some people might dub ‘Where in Time is Carmen San Diego’ edutainment. Not Pak, for her it was mindless entertainment.

((OOC… yes took liberties I don’t think Where In Time would run on a 64 but its more fun and more appropriate than Where In The USA will edit if you want.))
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Oban, or Glenlivet? Might have been a defining factor for Kem, trying to figure out which of those was the best choice, but... nah. Oban was a good dry single malt. And would definitely serve the purpose; Glenlivet required more concentration and savoring and all that crap. He was totally not in it for the culture at the moment, any more than Pak was.

Oban it was then, and two glasses. Straight up sounded good. Anything sounded good.

Pak had found one of the Carmen games... Where in Time, it looked like. He poured while she pored. They could certainly play, but Kem had the unfair advantage of having been alive for most of it that he'd probably have to try to keep quiet with lest he ruin any of the fun. Or having been undead. Or whatever. Oh yeah, drinks were in order.

Handing the glass to Pak, he pulled up one of the stools in the corner of the garage and sat, letting her have the controls. Out of habit he left the open bottle within her reach, forgetting momentarily that she was a telekinetic as well.

"One drink, as ordered. I assumed the straight up part... correct me if I'm wrong, but ice seemed like it'd just get in the way."

((ooc: *smack* It's called artistic liscense! Get it straight!))
Pakpao 18 years ago
Thank good for seemingly equally moody vampires with a history. Damned ice, just watered things down.

“Good call.”

Uninspired she typed in their name as PK, originality was not her strong point in situations like these, and accepted their mission from the chief. She’d finished half the drink before they landed in 13th Century England.

They had three places to search, they’d get one clue to who the perpetrator was and two clues on where and when to go. That was assuming, of course, they didn’t play to get lost. That was a good time too.

“Alright gumshoe where too first? Museum, library or city hall and if you have any in side info on this place feel free to use it. I’m not above cheating at kids games.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem had her beat by a mile... she'd finished half her drink as he was pondering a refill. He refilled his glass and topped hers off while he could still do so without moving from the stool.

"Museum, of course," he suggested. "I'm not giving out any info. We'll have to Sherlock our way through it."

Amusing situation they were in. Although he hadn't told Pak anything about his own situation, or recent disturbing events, she seemed to understand the fundamentals behind his moodiness. That was something he appreciated to no end. He wondered if she were an empath as well as telekinetic. Not that it mattered; however she came by the knowledge, he was glad to have a kindred spirit around. Curious as he was about her past, he wasn't about to press her to divulge it any more than he was ready to discuss his.

There was something to be said for mutual respect... and even more, he was really enjoying Pak's company as a friend; an unusual thing for him. Maybe he shouldn't have been so reclusive at the Towers for the last few hundred years.

With a shrug, he got to work on their mystery and the bottle of Oban.
Pakpao 18 years ago
“I always liked Sherlock but Watson doesn’t get half the respect he should.”

A slightly twisted smile appeared as she found her glass refilled. That was an excellent idea. Opening up the museum they got a where/when clue something about. Even with her limited knowledge of Egyptian history that seemed to be where the clue was pointing them.

Pak’s answer to that was to finish her newly refilled drink and pick up the bottle, suspecting Kem’s reaction would be stronger.

She wandered them off to city all and made the discovery they were chasing a blond female.

“Do we need the last clue? Oh hell lets not waste time.”

She snickered at the idea of people of their age wasting time and sent them off to the only Egyptian option the game provided.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Ancient Egypt. That was rich. At least the game had stuck them in way before his time, in the BC era.

"Pyramids didn't look quite like that," he muttered. "That's Giza... only, the plaza wasn't there either. Ugh, and there wasn't a city hall in Ancient Egypt, damnit. It would be my luck if we found our clue there, give it a shot."

Even so, he could swear he saw children running around in the plaza, people walking along the streets. Knocking back the second glass, he wordlessly held it out. Initiate self-destruct mode!
Pakpao 18 years ago
Why did she think he’d want a refill? Because in his shoes she’d want one too. Continuing to follow the golden rule Pak poured Kem a double and herself another.

The scotch was strong but she was still thinking and wondered about the city hall remark, somehow she didn’t think Kem got turned down for a building permit, it probably ran deeper. But they had this excellent ‘don’t ask don’t tell’ vibe going on, so she just looked for the clue.

“Something about Cortez… was he in Mexico or some where else in Central America? I forget.”

She didn’t really care either, damned Spaniard they were everywhere at one point. Going up to the library, she got a clue about hazel eyes.

“One more clue about the… the… the bad guy and we can get a warrant.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem nodded. "Cortez... he conquered the Aztecs. I never knew him but apparently he was a bit of an asshole. Montezuma was not a happy camper. Mexico, it is. Early 1500's."

He gave Pak the Captain Picard 'make it so' gesture and saluted her with his newly-refilled glass. He drank this one a bit slower, having gotten the first bit of reckless abandon out of his sytem. He hadn't fed in a while and he was well aware that alcohol would effect him faster than usual. But he wasn't starving either... just running a little low on reserves.

"Blonde hair, hazel eyes, right?"

Black hair, sharp green eyes.

Stop it... you're supposed to be forgetting. Not remembering. And you promised Alfarinn. No more stupid shit.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Colonization sounded so nice a polite, even imperialism had a non-evil sound to it, but it was conquering. Bastards. She’d been perfectly happy in Siam but no that wasn’t in the cards. Therefore, it didn’t surprise her to hear that Cortez was apparently an ass. They all were.

“Monty should have cut Cortez’s head off when he landed.”

Huh, she hadn’t been this bent out of shape about the invasion of Asia in a long time. Displacement was a wonderful thing.

Zipping them off to Mexico in the 1500s Pak went to the library where they were informed that he suspect had checked out a Hugo novel. That was enough for Pak, she entered the data into the appropriate spots and they were issued a warrant for Miss D. Menor.

“If we’re lucky the next stop we catch her… better hurry too, we’ve only got 15 hours left.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
15 hours... one clue led nowhere. The next mentioned something about the Eiffel Tower. Responsible-Goody-Two-Shoes-Kem was off somewhere beating his head against a wall and muttering about quantum physics, so Make-Mine-A-Double-Kem rallied and came up to bat.

"Japan?"

Easy win. Heh.
Pakpao 18 years ago
“I thought Japan was the Great Wall… no, that’s China. There is a Japanese Disneyland though isn’t there?”

Oh what the hell, the game was made for elementary school children surly two people who had lived through most of the history the game taught could work this out. So Japan it was, with one-hour left to spare.

The clue indicated they hadn’t seen anyone suspicious around lately and Pak glowered, a little unfocused but glowered at Kem.

“Are you –sure- the Eiffel Tower is in Japan?”

It didn’t matter as she went to send them back to Mexico so they could try again they got an urgent communication from the Chief. Basically, it told them they were dorks and had run out of time and should return to base.

“We lost.”

Yes, that was stating the obvious but with the whole Eiffel Tower, mix up Pak felt Kem could use some clarification.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Whoops.

"I meant 'France.' It just came out 'Japan.'" He peered at Pak. "You weren't exactly forthcoming with the gems of historical wisdom either. Great Wall of Japan?"

He eyed the bottle. They'd done some decent damage. "Maybe computer games are a little bit too cop.. copm... hard right now. Should we move inside before the concrete floor starts to look good?"

Kem was already trying to take care with his pronunciation. Proof that the objective 'get amazingly wasted' was coming closer and closer to acheivement. He looked at Pak for confirmation or alternative suggestions.