All shook up

Bored, bored, bored; and bored and Pak didn't go well together. She was backing up her computers, again, which meant she couldn't work. She had intended to go to the gardens because that worked out well the last time she ran a back up, but it was freezing out. So that idea got scratched extremely fast.

Sending an e-mail off to Kem she'd gone down to the strip. There was a little fifties style diner there and the owner hadn't thrown her out yet, probably because he was in love with her car and kept trying to buy it from her. Still, Pak had a bet with herself when they'd figure out she was completely nuts. Until then though, the place had a net connection and they didn't bother her if she light up. They also had this wonderful thing called a stout shake; oatmeal stout, ice cream and chocolate. Sounded horrible but it was very addicting.

Her favorite haunt was a booth way in the back so she could watch all the traffic. As she came in the owner, who worked nights, saw her and raised and eyebrow. Pak grinned and nodded. Her shake was on its way. She brought up a chess program, one of the odd ones where the pieces beat the hell out of each other and started herself a clove. She had what, four six hours before she had to check on things?

Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
There wasn't much going on but the quiet, steady tapping of his keyboard. Consolidated financial reports, investment statistics... tap, tap, tap... snore. Kem was spending his night off from Meridian catching up on some extra-curricular work that he'd fallen behind on. He wasn't usually the type to fall behind on anything, but he'd not been himself for a while.

He'd made good progress; everything was in right order and he mentally patted himself on the back for having made such good headway. Another few minutes and maybe he'd take a break.

*bling*

He blinked at his screen. Email? Well, okay. Oh... and from Pakpao. There was nothing wrong with the new program at Meridian, hopefully? No, this was from a private email address. He almost laughed out loud at the gist of it.

"Help... bored." Then something about threatening to create a problem with the program if he didn't get his ass out and make with the entertainment. What was he, a one-vampire carnival?

Oh... well, yeah, actually, considering their last meeting... it probably shouldn't be surprising to be viewed as a source of fun. Kem wasn't sure how much 'fun' he was, but Pak had seemed amused.

Closing his laptop, he tucked it into its padded case and slung it over his shoulder - he never went far without it. He had a cell phone around here somewhere... where was it? What a bother.

[Are you going to tell me where to drop off the ransom, or am I supposed to track you down with an elaborate system of tripwires, powdered sugar, and laser technology?]

With that he mentally 'grabbed' his keys and turned out the lights, closing his door behind him and heading for the car.

((ooc: permission to send granted, and email summary from Pak))
((ooc: also, permission granted for sending in return))
Pakpao 18 years ago
Hmmm that apparently had been a very bad move, Pak thought as she watched her rook get trounced by the computer’s knight. She wondered if MARI got irritated playing with her, especially when she wasn’t quite focusing.

It was always disconcerting to hear a voice in your head and Pak tensed up thinking that her kids had developed a new friend. No, she wasn’t that old no more stray voices and since this one didn’t speak in Siamese, she was safe.

[You know the reply button is a wonderful thing. Besides what's wrong with the whole Bond theme?]

Great, now she had the Bond theme song in her head. That had not been part of the plan. She was tempted to say ‘follow the yellow brick road’ but checked herself.

[I’m down on the Strip, forget what the place is called but it one of those faux fifties places and I promise ice cream, beer and a code name.]

Feeling slightly better, she would now have someone to be bored with she scowled back at the screen. It was so not good to castle this early in the game, but she was already in trouble… so to speak.

((ooc... ditto the send thing))
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
[The reply button is for the unenlightened,] Kem sent with a mental smirk and an air of affected hauteur. [And Bond... so much unnecessary violence. So much gunfire where a bitchslap would do perfectly fine.]

He thought he knew the place Pak was talking about. He'd never been there, but he knew the city fairly well. A few hundred years' worth of 'well,' anyhow.

[Ah, now you're singing my tune. Beer, yes. Ice cream, sure why not? And I'm not sure I want you coming up with my codename... you know too much already.]

It was a short drive into town; Kem's house was just barely out of what would really be considered 'city.' He turned the stereo down a bit; it had been a long time since outside noise had actually interfered with his ability to focus on his sending, but it was force of habit anyway.

[Aren't you supposed to be breaking some... err, working?]
Pakpao 18 years ago
[We’ll have to check with Emily Post about this send thing. I’m sure she has something to say on it.]

And that would explain why the etiquette queen had been around so long. She was undead and could publish her rules until the end of time.

There was no way Pak was going to share with Kem that she could sneak her voice into his head just as easily as he had pounced on her. She’d save that surprise for another time.

[I don’t know I think Bond did alright for himself. We can’t all attack with screwdrivers while the enemy’s back is turned.]

Now she was defiantly going to have to come up with a codename. Something absurd and if possible embarrassing. Any ideas along those lines were side tracked when he asked about work.

Crossing her arms over her chest and raising an eyebrow, something that more or less came across in her thought she shot back at him

[Already broke it and have the rest of the night off. What’s your excuse?]
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
[Ugh. I don't think I even want to know what Emily Post would have to say about sending. I'm sorry; I forgot to raise my pinky when I said hello. Please don't take offense.]

Kem saw the diner, pulling his car into a free spot in the tiny parking lot it boasted. [If only I had thought to bring an allen wrench, I could be your ally. Alas, my tools are all at home.]

Climbing the few steps up to the diner, he walked in, looked around, and waved the hostess away with a slight shake of his head when he saw Pak at a booth stuck in a corner.

He approached quietly and loomed over her as best he could with his arms crossed, hoping to take advantage of the fact that she seemed engrossed in whatever she had on the laptop in front of her. He wasn't really trying to be sneaky, but he wouldn't complain if it happened anyway.

Pakpao
[Already broke it and have the rest of the night off. What's your excuse?]

"Blackmail."
Pakpao 18 years ago
Yeah, that was a good idea. Let’s not make there be too many rules to go along with sending, she’d just wind up breaking them any way.

[An Allen wrench and Allen wrench my kingdom for an Allen wrench?]

It never hurt to be prepared after all, which also explained why there was a small screwdriver set and an Allen wrench in her laptop case. The stupid little things were useful as all get out.

Frowning at the screen debating her next move Pak totally missed Kem’s arrival. She’d gotten used to hearing him in her head, so when the voice was all of a sudden looming over her she was taken off guard and threw a sugar packet at him. At least she’d had the good sense not to use her telekinesis and had actually thrown it, they were in public after all.

Realizing what she’d done Pak looked a little sheepish.

“You don’t have a thing on me.”

Yet. But Pak didn’t mention that last bit, no point in encouraging any one.

((OOC... permission to throw things at Kem))
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Trying to look stern was one thing. Trying to look stern while you were being assaulted with a packet of Sweet 'n' Low was another altogether.

"What the..."

Kem nearly went crosseyed as the little packet hit him in the forehead, and held out his hand to catch it. Eying it peevishly, he snapped his gaze back to Pak. "I'm not even worth the healthy natural stuff?"

He waved the sugar at her with affected injury. "You could have taken my eye out."

Sitting down across from her, he considered for a moment, and then added, "Although it wouldn't have been a permanent injury. Still, there's something to be said for an agent wounded in the field."

He brightened a bit. "I could wear an eyepatch. That would be dashing, wouldn't it?"

Kem launched the sugar back at Pak, using just the tiniest touch of telekinesis to perfect his aim and try to zing it right between her eyes.

"Back at you, O Patron Saint of Screwdrivers. What are you playing?"
Pakpao 18 years ago
“Pink is your color.”

OK now pink was getting worked into his code name, she wasn’t sure how but it would.

Her stout shake arrived at that point and she began to stir it up, making sure to scrape the chocolate off the inside of the glass and mix it well with the ice-cream and stout.

“Dashing yes but they also require parrots and bandanas so I’m not sure you can quite pull it off. Besides, you already get hazardous duty pay for the archive gig. I’m not sure we can afford to keep you if you want combat pay too.”

The sugar did hit her right between the eyes and bounced down onto her keyboard. Pak flinched and raised an eyebrow at him. So, it was going to be like that? To night might be the night she got thrown out because that wouldn’t go unanswered.

She stubbed out her clove, not wanting to offend him with the smoke.

“Chess… although I’m not sure playing is the right term for it.”

She swung the laptop around reveling her side of the board, which was down to a bishop, two knights, the king and a pawn. The computer still had four pawns, both rooks, one bishop, one knight, the queen and the king.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
"Pink is not my color. I'm so a winter."

The waitress arrived just then with a chocolate shake for Pak, then turned to him expectantly. Kem hadn't given any thought to ordering something, but beer and ice cream had been promised, so beer and ice cream it would be. Sam Adams and a bowl of french vanilla would do; he wasn't really picky about either.

"A perrier and a banana? Huh. Pirates have more style than I thought. And I ought to get combat pay if you're going to be hurling fake sugar at me all night. Regenerative capabilities aside."

When Pak turned the laptop toward him, he frowned at it. Chess was Aishe's thing, really not his. It didn't surprise him to see Pak playing it, either. He was well aware of her intellectual capabilities. So, with a fairly flip gesture, he pointed vaguely to a chess piece.

"Eh, move that one over there." He waved his hand around some. "Checkmate."
Pakpao 18 years ago
Pak chuffed. OK so he did look like winter, and she didn’t have a clue what season she was, just that pink didn’t look good on her any more than she could see Kem in it.

“You’re supposed to put the ice cream in the beer.”

Apparently, he needed enlightening on this point, and Pak gestured to her own. Very few people looked for the stout shake and those that saw it didn’t know what to make of the idea.

“Arrg a vast matey have ye got any grey poupon.”

Caution to the wind she’d gone for broke with pirate imitation and was now very close to dubbing Kem Pink Beard the Pirate. But would hold off on that, it didn’t quite fit but she was getting close.

“Hurling? Hardly, that was tossed purely out of self-defense. It isn’t nice to sneak up on computer geeks, we get jumpy.”

Using the straw, she started in on the stout and ice cream, delicious, and looked at his chess plan. Yeah, checkmate for the other guy.

“You were never a field commander were you?”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem knew Pak had some incredibly 'out there' ideas at times, but... ice cream in beer? That was new to him. The waitress was back with his order quickly enough, and he snatched the bottle away and covered the lip with his hand, narrowing his eyes suspiciously at Pak before she could alter it in any way.

"I'll take mine separately, if that's all right. Besides, it would take forever to scoop all that ice cream into this bottle." Kem wasn't sure if she was just messing with him now. "Is that really... a beer float?"

He had to groan at her pirate imitation, right afterwards. "I'm really not sure piracy is my forte... although if I have as much success with cannonballs as with packets of sugar, there could be hope."

He was still staring at the computer screen when she asked if he'd been a field commander. He wasn't sure what he'd done, so he just shook his head, mystified. "No. I've been a lot of things, but never a soldier." He glanced back up at her. "Do you really want the breakdown? I assure you, it's long and boring as befitting one of my scholarly bent."
Pakpao 18 years ago
She wasn’t sure if she should laugh or be annoyed at Kem for protecting his beer. As if she would assault a perfectly good drink, although she was of the opinion that ice cream could only help a Sam Adams, she didn’t particularly care for that beer.

Letting him guard the bottle, she nodded cheerfully.

“That is exactly what it is. Oatmeal stout, vanilla ice-cream, and chocolate sauce.”

Part of her mind had been occupied with the chessboard and since Kem had halfway drawn her attention to a checkmate for her computer opponent, Pak had been looking for an out. Deciding she’d found one, she moved one of her knights to threaten the queen. It would at least buy her a move or two.

“Cannon balls at thirty paces next time? Seems a bit drastic, but as long as we don’t break anything I don’t see why anyone should mind.”

Wait, had she just challenged Kem to a dual? Or had he challenged her? Hardly seemed sporting either way. After all Pak was relatively certain he was a great deal older than she was and therefore probably had more control of his abilities. In fact, remembering their tug of war with the screwdriver Pak felt Kem and his telekinesis had been together more than a short while.

“Long and boring? How could I possibly resist that, just be careful or I’ll retaliate with a detailed history of my own. But at least mine won’t require an intermission.”

Unable to resist she’d slid a slight jab about his age in there, however, she was curious.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem refrained from comment on the stout-shake. He wasn't really that adventurous an eater, on the occasion that he actually ate at all. What cooking he did, he enjoyed, but in small quantity. Pak's tastes were obviously a good deal more open than his, so he settled for giving her drink one last good eyeballing before watching her chess game progress.

Her intermission joke had him chuckling into the beer bottle, and he shook his head. "I'm fairly certain I can summarize." She seemed interested; Kem never actually saw himself as an object of interest so much as a 'reference guide to Ancient Egypt,' and even then his life had begun after the greatest dynasties had been and gone and other civilizations were making their forays into Egyptian land.

Rolling his eyes up to he ceiling briefly, he tapped his finger against the bottle in his left hand, considering where to begin. He rarely spoke of his past to anyone in a personal sense, but he felt he might be doing Pak a disservice if he treated her curiosity as if he were giving her information for a new textbook.

So, in that regard, Kem figured he may as well give her at least a few of the details he might normally leave to speculation.

"410 AD," he said, instinctively lowering his voice although there really wasn't anyone around. "We weren't big on the whole counting thing, but I was about 19, by my best estimation." He paused and then said, "For a while afterwards, I don't really think I did anything that could even remotely be considered polite, proper, useful, or even productive."

That was the only way he could think of to delicately state that the first hundred or so years of his existence had been... messy, to say the least. He had been a very angry person for a while. And, having no frame of reference from which to learn how to actually be a vampire, they had been a messy and violent hundred years that he didn't like to dwell upon.

"After that though... as a human I was a minor noble in Giza, but I learned to weave and that kept me in good stead for a while. I had also learned how to write; hieroglyphics of course, and since I'd always wanted to travel I did that as well. A lot. But I never had a very military bent. I focused on learning... different writings, different languages. I served as an instructor and a tutor quite often, and did a lot of work as a scribe and a translator. I sang too, at varous points, particularly when I needed the extra work. I joined Evenhet around 1200 or so; it was Alfarinn who taught me what I was. It was all a mystery to me for the years before then."

He spread his hands. "That's most of it, in a nutshell. Then the age of finances and computers came about, and all of a sudden things really got fun."

That would hopefully appease Pak's curiosity, although he didn't mind the usual deluge of questions that followed whenever someone younger found out he'd been around that long. He didn't think he'd mind the questions either, coming from Pak. He wouldn't have told her as much as he just had, otherwise. Kem sat back and watched the computer screen again, watching the chess game draw to its inevitable close.
Pakpao 18 years ago
While politely giving him time to summarize, she’d managed to capture one of the rooks without reprisal.

Quickly doing the math Pak blinked when she realized just how long Kem had been about, not that he was the oldest she’d met or anything. She’d simply under estimated, of course baring something unnatural time wasn’t that was exactly in short supply for either of them.

Doing her best to read between the lines, as it were, Pak wasn’t quite sure what to make of such a long gap between being turned and understand what he was. Granted there was that gap in her history as well, when a great deal of what she learned had been luck, some of it biased in superstition and some on trail and error. However, it wasn’t nearly that long. Regardless, since that was something she preferred not to discuss she granted Kem the same courtesy.

“How does an artist wind up an archivist? From singing and weaving to being at the mercy of mad programmers? Seems like quite the jump, even if you had fifteen hundred years to make the transition.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
"I wouldn't call myself an artist," Kem demurred. "At best I was a passable weaver, and my singing helped pull me through a few rough patches. I was never comfortable in the spotlight though. I always wanted to travel and learn, from the time I was a child. The people I lived among then saw my interest in writing as an indication of some baser blood that was less than noble, but my family encouraged it."

He chuckled as the self-styled mad programmer chess-ed herself into a tight spot. "Anyway, it turned out to be useful. Over the years I learned plenty of languages and spent time learning the writing as well. As time passed it seemed to be important to me to help preserve what began as knick-knacks but are now bits and pieces of memories."

Kem shrugged slightly. "I made a living. It wasn't till recently, say, the last 50 years or so, that I discovered a latent talent for investing and using computers and now I'm almost as geeky as the next vampire."

He knew he was being vague, and it was only half intentional. Kem really didn't mean to give Pak the run-around, but he rarely spoke of the past to anyone as it was. Force of habit was strong for him, and he appreciated the fact that Pak didn't push. There were very few people he'd ever really opened up to, and even then only after some time.

The history lesson was giving him a good case of the downs, as usually happened when he dwelled on it. In an effort to shake himself back to some semblance of life, he contented himself with telekinetically moving the straw in Pak's shake around every time she tried to take a sip.

"So what about you? Can you top that for boring, or do I get the free decoder ring?"
Pakpao 18 years ago
“Part Egyptian part gypsy? I can relate to that, except maybe the Egyptian part.”

Bowing to the inevitable, she finally gave up and let the computer beat her. It was down to chasing the king around the board any way, and that simply wasn’t any fun.

When asked about her own history Pak made the discovery that she hand Kem had something very much in common. She didn’t want to talk about it.

Thinking about how to condense things, she could feel herself shifting into a black mood. The few times she had spoken to people about it she either wound up depressed, embarrassed, or extremely angry. On a good day all three. Since Kem didn’t deserve any of that, she glossed it over.

“I think you get to be more interesting by default. There isn’t as much to tell with me. I lurked about Siam for a long time and let fear of the Europeans chase me out. I didn’t really settle in any where until here. Remind me I owe you a decoder ring.”

Cocking her head to one side, she finally gave up and grabbed the dancing straw with her left hand, while mentally nudging his beer right to the edge of the table. Pak let it sit there, just begging to be knocked over but didn’t do the deed herself.

“It is –so- not nice to come between a woman and her beer, especially if there is chocolate involved as well.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem might have won 'interesting,' but Pak definitely got the 'evasive maneuvers' award. He wasn't about to be pushy any more than she had been; it was only polite for him to return the favor. The correlation between both their moods and their backgrounds did not escape him.

In fact, it made him chuckle dryly. "Well, I think we've managed to convince ourselves to be thoroughly morose tonight. May I remind you that you did bring it up!"

Misery loved company, that's how the old saying went. If they were going to reminisce and get all funky about it, at least they were each in good company. His magically moving beer didn't escape his notice; he picked it up before she could decide he was to blame instead, and finished it off in a long swallow. His ice cream was hovering somewhere around liquid and mush, which in his opinion made it just about perfect for eating, so he dug in.

"Well, you cried for help... and I drove to the rescue. You have now managed to lose at chess and you look thoroughly pissed off."

He leaned back, his expression changing to one of smug satisfaction. "Anything else I can break, mess up, or otherwise ruin?" Kem offered her a grin; he wasn't trying to antagonize her so much as prevent them both from falling into a foul mood that he for one was more than familiar with.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Screw being offensive, she now needed a clove. Quickly retrieving one and her lighter she gave Kem a quickly look, half asking for permission, but not waiting for his blessing either.

Taking care not to exhale at him, she smiled wryly.

“You have me on a technicality, but how was I to know we bother had… creative histories?”

Subterfuge was Pak’s most recent gift and it was the one least under her control. Even with it, she had trouble hiding the worst of her peaks and valleys, but when she concentrated it worked brilliantly. It never surprised her that she’d developed it and it was probably just as well. Some creative empathy would try to crawl in her head and get dizzy. However, she found it exhausting and hadn’t bothered to practice it tonight.

But even through her own developing mood, she was curious to know more of Kem’s history. There was some strange comfort in the fact that she wasn’t the only one who had little choice in her immortality. Now, however, was not the time for it.

Realizing how she must look to Kem, poor angst ridden adolescent vampire Pak dissolved into a fit of giggles.

“My knight in dent resistant armor, comes charging to the rescue with an Allen wrench. Bravo I’m thoroughly impressed.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem didn't mind when Pak lit up; he enjoyed the scent although he didn't smoke, himself. He simply remained stretched out, long legs out in front of him but off to the side so as not to be in her way, arms crossed behind his head. He did cock an eyebrow at her.

"I think creative histories come with the territory," he said, "and... a win is a win. I'll take your technicality and call it a job well done."

He couldn't say then what range of expressions passed over her face. She burst into giggles suddenly though, and he couldn't possibly say why. Kem simply waited for her to finish and pointed out, "Well... actually, I forgot the allen wrench. Remember? I'm certainly going to remember the entire toolkit in the future, however."

Then he paused. "I trust you can supply the screwdriver with your saintly powers, though?"

It was a shame they were out in a public place. There were far more toys for them to play with at Meridian, what with vampire abilities and all involved. Toys... well. He had toys.

"If you're tired of the public eye, you're more than welcome to come back to my place for a while. Movies, toys, high speed internet." Kem shrugged. It didn't really matter to him, but in all honesty if they were going to both be in a bad mood, they might as well do it someplace where it was easier to vent.
Pakpao 18 years ago
“Screwdrivers, Phillips and standard, Allen wrenches, pliers, wire cutters and when all else fails a hammer.”

Most of that was in her toolbox in the car but the screwdrivers and Allen wrench were in the lap top case. You never knew when you were going to have to change out a motherboard or add memory and since Pak could be a little impatient, she always came prepared. Besides, it was an old car.

This was why bored and Pak didn’t go well together, she was losing it. She knew it too, there simply was no predicting where her mood would go next. But she was thankful Kem just went with it as things were getting away from her fast.

“Horrible awful B movies that never should have been made or culture?” She took a long drag on the clove and studied it for a second before continuing. “I don’t think I could handle culture right now.”