I Think I'll Just Stay Here And Drink

Knowing he was running on only about three hours sleep from the day before, Nic knew he should have called it a night after the explosion. But, as usual, his hormones kicked on and common sense kicked off.

At least he seemed to be making progress, and had thought to leave before making a big mess of things again. He kicked the door shut as he returned to his suite, and fell onto the couch, flinging his arm across his eyes.

"Goddamnsonuvabitchshit!"

The cussing didn't help...it just sounded hollow in the room. While he probably should try to get some sleep, he knew he'd never make it, as tensed up as he was.

"MARI? Are you there? MARI...I need to know if Kem is in the Towers?"

He yelled into the air.

"...if he's available...?"

Nic wanted to get sloshed...falling down, five star waking up hangover, drunk. But he didn't want to drink alone, and he didn't want to go out. He still hadn't gotten a bike, and walking everywhere was starting to become a hassle...as was calling for a cab.

"And MARI? Are there any bars, or clubs...any places that serve alcohol, in Meridian?"

MARI 18 years ago
MARI smiled to herself before appearing on one of Nic's wall panels. Organic life forms ask the strangest questions. There were things she thought were obvious by now. One of those would be where she was. However, she answered patiently.

"I am everywhere in Meridian Towers, Nicolae."Â?

She continued her speaking in the same unhurried calm tone.

"It is not necessary to speak above 10 decibels in order for me to hear you."Â?

Looking up Kem's location, she answered his question.

"Kem is currently located in the archives. We have several areas that serve alcohol, including the lounge in the lobby area. I believe you will find this area the best suited to Kem's particular needs if he is to accompany you."Â?

Of course it was perhaps unwise to presume that was where Nic's questioning was leading but MARI calculated that she had high odds of being correct in her guess that Kem was to be invited to join Nic in such a place.

((OOC: MARI out pending response ))
Nicholae 18 years ago
"Damn woman!"

Nic responded, just a little startled. He should have expected such a response, as he had talked to her before. And though he knew now she was not human, he still thought of her as a woman. It made conversing with her easier for him.

"Sorry MARI...I'll try to keep my voice down."

Listening to her answer his questions, Nic nodded, and then answered, forgetting she could see him too.

"Thanks MARI...I'll keep that in mind about the lounge...though I was really hoping for someplace more quiet.

But one more thing? Is there some way I could get flowers delivered to someone in the Towers...another resident? I'd like to send some to Maeve Fraser...something really nice...a dozen roses maybe...with a card that says...'I'm Sorry'...? Is there some way you might be able to assist me with that too?"

He didn't want to take advantage of MARI, and if he could send her flowers, he would. But he was coming to realize that she knew everything, so how could he not ask her.
MARI 18 years ago
MARI pretended to completely not notice Nic's startlement at her sudden appearance. She continued on in a calm voice while adding his reaction to other recordings she possessed for later study in human coping behavior.

"I do not believe I am damned, Nicolae. According to most religions one has to be alive to be damned. Some say a soul is required and that is not a thing anyone has proved I possess...Or themselves either, but most religions agree that humans have them."Â?

She blinked at him a few times, going through the probabilities that by more private he meant less people or -no- other people. He seemed interested in having Kem join him and that suggested that he had wanted company but perhaps he wished to speak to Kem about things of a personal nature.

MARI followed that pattern to its various possible outcomes and wondered if Nic was romantically involved with Kem. Nothing about his current state of physical being seemed to be indicative of the emotional attachment that humans called love. He had spent a lot of time with the Egyptian recently but they worked together. No, she decided she did not have enough data to come to that conclusion safely.

In the brief time it took to postulate theories about Nic's relationships, MARI decided that he would at the very least like a quiet place to discuss things from.

"There is also Bon Vivant but it is located on a higher level. There you can purchase alcohol to take back to your home if that is your wish. Perhaps if this suggestion does not suit your needs you could give more specific parameters for me to search with."Â?

She accessed the database for his other question.

"You may go to the Stars and Vines and purchase flowers here in the Towers or go online to their website and set up your order from there."Â?
Nicholae 18 years ago
Cringing when MARI went into a dissertation about being 'damned' much the same way Theo had with his shoes, Nic decided he was going to need to quit using that word. Or at least be more frugal with it.

"Sorry, MARI...the word 'damn' is not always used in it's literal sense. It is also a cuss or curse word some of us 'humans' use. We use it to express anger, irritation...disappointment, and then as in my case we also use it too frequently, as a substitution for other things...in this case, to express surprise."

He wondered if she would make a note of that, or ignore it altogether. Or at the very least, maybe it would give her pause to wonder about, if she wondered about things.

"Thanks for the other information. The Bon Vivant is a good idea, as is the Stars and Vines sounds like the just the place I need. As usual MARI, you've been remarkably helpful. I'd send you flowers too, if I could."

Once he realized he was flirting with a machine, Nic chuckled to himself. But this one was Evenhet, and he didn't think anyone else would mind.

"In fact, I'd give you a big hug and kiss for all your help."
MARI 18 years ago
MARI noted his explanation and smiled at him.

“You will have to explain at some later time why humans would choose such a word to express anger or surprise. Curse words are often very irrational, I have found. I have come to no good conclusion why humans seem fascinated with feces, but not having any of my own, I am unable to fully appreciate your kind's association with it.”

She inclined her head when he said the liquor store would work for his purposes and grinned at him for the thought of flowers.

“Thank you, Nicolae. Roses are my favorite.”

MARI returned to a more serious expression at the mention of a kiss.

“I do not recommend it. The cleaning service would not appreciate the residue on the screen.”

With a hint of smirk, MARI vanished from the wall.

((OOC: MARI out ))
Nicholae 18 years ago
Chuckling at her joke, Nic went to the laptop Kem had given him, and pulled up the flowershop's website. After spending at least fifteen minutes going through the vast array of arrangements, and not finding what he wanted, he decided to call the store.

After another ten minutes of describing Maeve, and a few sketchy details of the reason behind the apology, Nic thought the florist knew exactly what Nic wanted. Joseph, the florist, told Nic he'd put together something, and then email him a picture. If Nic liked it, he'd have the flowers delivered to Maeve that same night. About an hour later, Nic heard the 'You've Got Mail' voice on the laptop and checked.

The picture in the email was beautiful, and reminded Nic of Maeve. It wasn't of your standard long stem red roses, but instead the roses were pink - for his declaration that he thought Maeve was special, and the creamy whites - as a sign of his contriteness. Red roses - representing a declaration of love, Nic thought not only inappropriate, but that if used too often, meant little when the declaration was truly felt.

Admitting that the floral arrangement Joseph had put together seemed perfect, and Nic gave the man his credit card information. He asked that the information be kept on hand for all future arrangements, and included a healthy tip for the florist's quick and competent actions.

Now, he had to only hope Maeve would accept the apology, and like the flowers.

Once that had been taken care of Nic felt somewhat better. He still wanted to get together with Kem and shoot the shit. Before he called the man on his cell, Nic decided to try and see if Nic might be able to communicate with Kem, as they had in the past.

'Kem? Nic calling Kem...come in Kem....'

Concentrating with all his might, Nic focused as he made the call in his head, and waited.
Nicholae 18 years ago
After spending what seemed to be at least ten or fifteen minutes trying to reach Kem, Nic finally gave up. His head was splitting, and he'd concluded the old fashioned cell phone was going to be the only way he would be able to reach his friend.

Still sitting on the couch, Nic pulled his phone out of his pocket, and punched in the numbers to Kem's residence. However, before the phone rang twice, Nic hung up. He remembered MARI had said Kem was in the archives, so Nic redialed...

And waited.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Somewhere nearby, an incessant ringing was completely ruining his concentration. Looking up irritably from the computer screen, Kem was about to ask whoever wasn't answering their cell phone to take care of it.

Then he realized it was his cell phone. His neglected, rarely-used cell phone. He hadn't even realized it was on, much less with him.

The shoulder-bag he carried his laptop in had plenty of odd-and-end little pouches in it, and it was from there he finally managed to locate the little phone before whoever it was gave up. Glancing around with a guilty wince for being the culprit with the annoying ring-tone, he snapped it open and held it to his ear.

"Hello?"
Nicholae 18 years ago
"Kem? Kem! It's me, Nic...sorry to disturb you at work old man, but do you think I might be able to persuade you to take a break anytime soon? I seem to have gotten myself into a bit of a mess, yet again...and just thought a little company, and a little alcohol would come in handy about now."

So maybe that didn't come out in the best possible light...maybe he should have just invited Kem up for a drink. But then he reasoned, maybe by letting Kem know that Nic needed him, he'd be more apt to agree. The real truth was that Nic really just wanted to talk to Kem...and see if he couldn't get the other man away from work, and out for a bit of fun.

"So what do you think Kem? Want to come up to my place for a drink or four? You could even meet me at the Bon Vivant, and we can decide on the poison for the evening..."

Nic had again forgotten about Kem's aversion to heights, and stairs, and elevators.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
The phone was immediately alive with the ramblings of a very hyped-up Nic. Kem tried to follow the gist of it...

Yes, he was at work. Yes, (grumble), he was old. Yes, Nic was in trouble... wait - what?

"How do you manage to do this constantly?" Kem was truly curious. Nic was an "I've made a mess" magnet. He shook his head in disbelief.

"Nevermind, nevermind," he hissed into the cellphone, ignoring the stares of his few co-workers. He gave it a bit of thought. He really didn't want to cut his night short, but honestly he'd been putting in extra time. He could stand to leave here soon.

The idea of drinking wasn't so appealing, given the binge he and Pak had gone on just a couple of nights back. In fact, he was turning green just thinking about it. But in the name of being a supportive friend he could manage a beer. One. A really small one. He was going to need it, if he planned on being up at Nic's.

He would have preferred to meet Nic someplace quiet and... lower to the ground. Like the lounge at Liefde, but he felt horribly guilty still over the Addison fiasco and what he still perceived as his responsibility to keep the younger vampire out of trouble. Not to mention yelling at him. So he sighed and finally said into the phone, "I'll... meet you at your place for a beer or two in a little while, but the Mall is right out. I have to finish a couple of things here first, but I'll let you know when I'm on my way up. How's that?"

Ugh. Maybe the beer or two could come before the actual climbing-of-the-stairs.
Nicholae 18 years ago
He winced at Kem's admonishment, but relaxed a bit when Kem chose not to hear more about it over the phone. Nic wondered if the time would ever come when he no longer caused his friend so much distress.

He then grinned to hear Kem would indeed join him, and he had mentioned beer.

"Alright Kem, I'm going to run up to Bon Vivant and get some beer now. If I'm not back when you get here, the door will be open. If you want to call before hand that's fine...I'll have my cell.

See you in a while."

Waiting for Kem to acknowledge, Nic scanned the room looking for his shoes. It would be nice to talk to Kem again...the man always had such a profoundly positive effect on Nic. Though Kem still didn't sound like he wanted to party, Nic hadn't given up on the idea just yet.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
It took Kem less than an hour to wrap everything up and head out of the archives. Contemplation of the stairs was another thing altogether. He had managed to avoid climbing any of them for quite some time now, and while at one point he might have thought he was even getting used to it, whatever headway he had made was gone now so that the prospect of being seven stories up was just as detestable as, say, eating glass.

It wasn't that Kem didn't like Nic... he found him likeable enough, and he had to admit since meeting him he felt indirectly responsible for how he behaved. While he wasn't sure he counted as a good influence, he knew he could at least offer a viewpoint that was vastly different from Nic's and therefore maybe some enlightenment on whatever it was Nic wanted to talk to him about.

No, his hesitation was solely in the fact that Nic happened to live upstairs. But, Kem reasoned, if Nic was in a jam he probably wouldn't want to discuss it in a public place anyhow. So with that in mind, he bit the bullet and started up the stairs.

[On my way... you didn't actually think I'd use the cell, did you? I've already forgotten where I put mine.]

((ooc: Permission for sending))
Nicholae 18 years ago
Nic had been to the Bon Vivant, bought the beer, and just got in the door when he got Kem's 'call'.

'Hey Kem...no problem. You know I'm always here when you call.'

Nic chuckled. He had gotten used to this communication with Kem, but only wished it had run both ways. It was fun, but it was really convenient.

Not sure if he heard anything strange in Kem's voice, or if Nic was just a little tense himself, he ignored the feeling, and went to put the beer in the refridgerator.

'I'm home, so I'll see you when you get here.'

Then Nic did remember something.

'Hey Kem...you going to be okay coming up here?'
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
[I'm just fine. Life's great. Or undeath. Whichever. Be right there.]

Fifteen years, eight strokes, seven litters of kittens, forty margaritas, and 3 heart attacks and a cow later (all right, maybe ten minutes but who was counting anyhow?), Kem found himself wandering down the hall to Nic's doorway and letting himself in as directed.

"Love what you've done with the place," he said, hugging the wall and moving into the living room... which looked almost exactly the same as the day he'd first shown Nic to the suite. In fact, it was exactly the same with the addition of the usual clutter of someone having lived in a place long enough for it to accumulate.

"I see you're going for the spartan, 'I don't live here' style. Very trendy."

He flashed Nic a grin just in case for some reason the younger vampire thought he might actually be serious.

"So, you have me curious enough to get me up seven flights of stairs. What's up?"
Nicholae 18 years ago
When Kem entered, Nic had been standing at the window, looking out over the view he had of the city. The beer he was drinking was good, but not quite getting him the fuzziness he sought. Hearing Kem enter, Nic turned and laughed at the man's good natured ribbing.

"Hey Kem! Yes, well you know me...priorities and all. Really don't spend much time here, so what's the point? It serves my needs.

I must say though, you're looking a lot happier and more fit than the last time I saw you...really been out partying hearty, eh?"

Nic could be just as much a smart ass as Kem could be, when the occasion called for it.

Reaching into the fridge, Nic pulled out a beer and took the top off to offer it to Kem. He hadn't asked, but didn't think it was an option.

He then gestured to the sofa or chair.

"Here...take a load off, and relax...and you really can relax this time...I'm not in THAT much trouble."

Nic laughed and took a good size pull on his beer. He kept an eye on Kem though...the man still had a look of green about him a little.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem's good-natured sarcasm was met with some of the same. He had to give Nic credit. "That's me. Party animal."

He accepted the drink with a nod of thanks and nursed it. He wasn't about to have a repeat of a few nights back. He was willing to bet Pak's head was still spinning. His was.

Relaxing was hardly likely, but if he stayed away from the windows Kem figured he'd manage all right. Tempting as it was to give in to habit and simply sit on the floor, he took a seat on the couch this time and stretched his long legs out comfortably in front of him.

"All right, let me have it," he said, making a show of getting comfortable as if expecting to be there for ages. "Whatever it is you've managed this time couldn't possibly be as bad as last time anyhow."

That thought was positively uplifting!
Nicholae 18 years ago
Once Kem had made himself as comfortable as Nic guessed it was possible for him to do, Nic sat down on the opposite end of the couch, and grinned.

"Well my friend, I guess that all depends on how you look at it. I don't have a rival clan after me, I'll give you that. This time it involves an Evenhet. However, this Evenhet is a woman, and anything involving a woman can be more troublesome than any other situation I could have jumped into."

Nic gave Kem a questioning glance and raised his bottle of beer as if to cheer on that statement, before taking another gulp.

"What do you think about love at first sight? And I don't mean lust...I know the difference. Love might be a bit strong...but there is definitely some very strong feeling...connection going on."

Kem was someone whose opinion Nic valued highly. Nic also thought Kem was probably one of the most intelligent men he knew. The only reservation Nic had about Kem's insights now, was that he just might not know a hell of a lot about love.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
One thing about Nic, Kem realized... he had a distinct talent for putting Kem in between a rock and a hard place. Of all the things Nic could ask for advice on, in this realm Kem felt the least prepared to offer advice. Love... the one successful relationship he'd had had been over 1500 years ago, and romance had never really entered into it.

"You sure know how to pick them," he said with a wry grin at Nic. "Give me a few moments. Let me think on this. I've got to try and count up the numbers of women whose hearts I've broken in the last few centuries."

He rolled his eyes up to the ceiling and feigned counting, but in reality the first thing that had crossed his mind was, of course, Aishe. In his mind's eye, he turned around and saw her walking back into Giza as he stood on the bank of the Nile. What had happened to make him take the first step, and then another, and another until he'd approached her there? He couldn't have said then, and he wasn't any wiser now. And while he wasn't ready to claim love at first sight, he had indeed experienced the "something" that Nic mentioned now, the strong connection that had made him close the gap between them and speak to her.

Kem thought back further, to memories so distant he was surprised he still remembered them. Sennwy (and the accompanying guilt and pain that the memory of her face brought along), holding their firstborn up to him. Mahematen, a tiny, wrinkled, squalling, red-faced infant, objecting to being removed from the comfort of his mother's arms. That was definitely love, even after all these years. He had loved his family, and he had loved his children instantly.

With a sigh, he threw up his hands. "Too many to count, and I'm out of fingers. To answer your question, yes and no."

He gestured at Nic with his half-empty bottle as he spoke. "You've already nailed it, I think. Sure, there's love at first sight... but probably not romantic love. It's more like the quieter little loves, children, parents, things like that, that you know about immediately. Love with a person though?" He shrugged. "I think that connection is the beginning of it, sure. But it takes time and patience and work to make it grow."

Nic hadn't, thus far, struck him as the most exceptionally patient of men. But who was Kem to pass judgment? Love could change a person. Maybe a good dose of it was what Nic needed to settle down.
Nicholae 18 years ago
He certainly hadn't wanted to laugh at his friend, but when he phrased his response that way, Nic had no option, and let out a loud snort.

"See! I knew you were the right man...I knew you'd have the experience I needed to tap into. But Kem...I'm looking for a way to NOT break this ladies hearts."

Nic watched as something played across Kem's face. Nic guessed it was a memory, but had no idea how recent. By the time Kem answered, Nic had become so enthralled with trying to figure out what Kem might have been thinking, that he forgot the question.

"Yes or no..?"

Oh yes...the 'love at first sight'...'yes or no'...wasn't an appropriate answer. When Kem elaborated, Nic nodded.

"I agree, what this is needs further exploration...time...to grow into something real. To say that it's taken me by surprise would be putting it mildly. To say that I've possibly screwed it up already would be pretty accurate as well."

Shrugging, not happily, Nic proceeded with the crux of his situation.

"I took her to the mayor's charity ball earlier...the one with the explosion, I guess you must have heard about it in the papers or on the news?"

Reliving a few moments of the evening gave Nic slight pause.

"Everything seemed to be going great...till I met her friend. To say we didn't hit it off is putting it mildly. And later...I met another one of her friends...and made about as equally a bad impression as I seemed to have done at the ball.

Kem...on my own I think I could have made real headway in getting to know this girl...but..."

But none of that happened, and now he might have fucked things up to the point that she might never speak to him again.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem listened to Nic's story, nodding at the mention of the ill-fated charity ball. Again he tried to find the parallel in his own experiences, but here he came up short. He didn't have any real experiences that were even similar. In fact, the few of Aishe's friends he'd met he'd actually enjoyed talking to, and her parents had been great as well. But he hadn't been seeing her parents.

"You're interested in her... not her friends. Right? So where's the issue? Tell her what you just said to me. You can't lie about it, and she'll appreciate the truth."

Hell, was tonight his night to be a complete hypocrite? Had he ever really given Aishe the truth? That was different. He'd done what was right.

Only now there was a little sense of doubt that had maybe been there before but he'd ignored.

"Why not call her and be up front with her?"

Dragging himself back to the conversation at hand, Kem tipped his head curiously at Nic. He wasn't going to ask who this anonymous Evenhet was, nor who her friends were. It wouldn't change anything.