Meeting at Enzo's (private, Attn: Drev)

((follows Preparing to Meet the Mob))

Drev pulled up outside the same restaurant they had been to just a few short days ago. A man in a black waist coat opened her door and offered her a hand out of the black Jag, Drev had rented for the evening. She took his hand, it was cold from the February air, and stood from the car. Drev came around to join her and was given a small ticket for his car. She did not see the money exchanged for that ticket, nor did she care to. They were ushered inside and the same man, Benito, if she recalled correctly, approached them. He kissed her hand again, and greeted Drev exuberantly.

Instead of being shown to a table on the floor they were taken down the sam corridor that lead to the ladies room, and taken through a black unmarked door, down another corridor and into a lushly decorated private dining room. One other man occupied the room. Benito bowed himself out, and shut the door behind him. Wren swallowed against the anxiety rising in her throat, as she stared at the man who had stood at their entrance and made his way around the table to greet them.

((Move permissions given.))

Milazo 18 years ago
"Calo!" The man that had been waiting for them rushed around the large dining table and embraced Drev. They exchanged welcoming kisses to each cheek, then Drev introduced the man to Wren.

"Wren, this is PaulieMontiglio. Paulie, this is Wren." Drev let the two shake hands, which included Nicky kissing the back Wren's hand. It still amazed Drev how closely Paulie resembled a young Al Pacino;the nose was a little narrower and the shape of the eyes was a little... off, but if you just caught him out of the corner of your eye, you'd swear it was the legendary actor. Paulie Montiglio was wearing a black suit, similar to Drev's, and his wavy black hair was combed straight back from his handsome face.

"Come, sit down," Paulie said, walking over to a small bar against the far wall. "Can I get you a drink?" While not thick, Paulie's Italian accent was easily noticeable. Drev held Wren's chair for her, taking a moment to fill his lungs with the lavendar scent of her soap.

"I'll have a glass of wine," Drev said as he took his own seat. He and Wren sat opposite the Paulie's chair. "Wine's fine," Wren said with a smile. Drev gave her hand a squeeze and smiled reassuringly. Paulie was a good guy; considerate and good at dealing with people, and almost obsessively thorough in his jobs. The man had a reputation for efficiency. He was really the best choice for this.

"How have you been, Paulie? D'you give your ma that kiss for me?"
Drev's grin was broad and jovial as he took the wineglass with a nod of thanks.

"I did," the other man replied as he stepped around the table to take his seat. In front of him on the table was a small notebook and a pen. "She wants to know when you're going to come over for some pasta."

Drev let out a deep, heartfelt laugh. Paulie's ma had to be the sweetest woman on the planet.
"Tell her to call me when she makes it, and I'll be over in a heartbeat."

"I will," Paulie replied with a warm smile. He turned to Wren and leaned forward a bit. The smile left his lips, but the mirth was still in his eyes. "You should follow when he goes. I can guaranetee you've never had better than my ma's pasta." With a decisive nod, he leaned back, looked at his watch, and jotted the time down in his notebook. "Now, should we get down to business?"
Wren 18 years ago
Wren's stomach flip-flopped again, as the very charming Paulie took his seat and got right down to business. She had smiled politely all through introductions and now her smile fell.

Paulie wrote something in his little notebook then looked up at her gave her a small smile and die right in.

"Let's start from the beginning. Tell me all about what this guy has done and then we'll go from there."

Wren recounted her story, the phone calls all the way up to the new photo album. Her mouth was dry and the wine did not help. It just made her stomach hurt more, so she gave up drinking it. Her hands found the strap of her purse and she took to twisting that as she spoke.

"Did you bring the album with you?"

"No, I didn't know you would want it."

"Mind if I come pick it up from you in the next couple days?"

"That's fine." She swallowed again and gave him a small smile.

"Now, tell me about any ex-boyfriends, lovers, male friends. Any man in your past could be a suspect and I need them all."

This is the part Wren was dreading, she breathed deeply and tried not to let her voice tremble.

"Just one ex, his name was Marcus Donovan, we were in school together. He was a photography major. Did and said all the right things, I finally gave in and slept with him. I haven't heard from him since. I haven't had any lovers before or since."
She glanced over at Drev. She really didn't think this guy needed to know about them so she would keep that to herself.

"My male friends consisted of the dancers I took classes with, and the few gay guys that went out with us girls on Saturday nights. Drev is my first non-dancer straight male friend."

That got a chuckle out of Paulie and he scribbled on his pad."Would you be able to list all of these dancers and gay men?"

"No not really. Just too many over four years of college and then twelve years of grade school before that."

He chuckled again. "I hear you. I can get lists on my own. So any other men in your past who might want to scare or hurt you?"

"My brothers."

"Your brothers?" The incredulity in his voice told her that it was a foreign concept to him that a man would harm his sister.

"Hmm, yep. Jerry and Danny Saunders. I can give you their addresses and stuff too if you want them. But in all honesty I don't think it's them. They are cruel and vindictive, but neither of them has an obsessive personality. That's what the detective told me, the person doing this has an obsessive personality."

He scribbled on his pad again. "I'll have you write down their information before we leave. Can you tell me why your brothers would do this?"

She took a deep breath, as her heart tripped into double time and her knee started to bounce. Her stomach flew up into her throat and she had to swallow back against the nausea. He had no idea what he was asking, he really didn't. She couldn't tell this stranger this, nor did she want Drev to hear it all. Not that he didn't know most of it. Oh well this had to come out sooner or latter, and what if it was one of them?

She took a long drink of wine and set it shakily back to the table.

"I...I was..'She sighed, took another drink and started again.

"They are so much older than me, my closest brother is just under eight years older and my oldest brother is just under nine years older. As I grew, I wanted to keep up with them, but they did their best to push me back. They said mean things, pushed me down, hit me, pulled my hair. When I was four, they pushed me out of the tree house for the first time. When I was five, they discovered they had a real live girl model at home."

Small tears leaked from her eyes to carve silver trails down her cheeks. Never in her life did she think she would have to tell this story, not beyond the words that implied the act, she was good at planting the seed and letting the other mind fill in the details.

"They abused me until I was thirteen. It was then I finally stood up to Danny, and he beat me bad enough that I had to go to the hospital. He broke two ribs and my cheek bone. My dad was told and he beat the living shit out of them and made them leave. They were and are still only allowed in the house at holidays. My sisters-in-law know, and so are vigilant with the children. My brothers have been in counseling a very long time. They still scare the shit out of me. I can hardly be in the same room with either of them with out turning in to myself and shaking like a scared puppy."

She looked down at her lap, and saw her hands tangled in her purse strap. She worked them out and swiped at the tears on her cheeks.
Milazo 18 years ago
Drev had to fight to keep the rage down to an acceptable level as Wren told Paulie her story. She'd hinted at some of the things her brothers had done, but this was the first time he'd heard anything specific. He knew he should be supporting Wren, offering her comfort, but how could he calm her when he was so pissed off?

It was incredibly difficult, but he managed to pushed the need for vengeance down. He focused his attention on Wren's body language. She was obviously upset, and Drev wanted to relieve that. He didn't want to see her in pain. But he couldn't do anything about this pain. This was necessary if she wanted this stalker found. She'd known it wasn't going to be easy, but it still hurt Drev to see those tears on her cheek.

Rising silently, Drev stepped over to the bar where he'd seen a box of tissues. He returned and set it in front of Wren, and comfortingly rubbed her back, gently massaging her shoulders and the back of her neck. Paulie caught Drev's eye and gave him a look that seemed to ask if she was going to be alright. Drev nodded reassuringly and turned his attention back to Wren.
Wren 18 years ago
Wren took a tissue and wiped her eyes and cheeks, blew her nose and gave a nice healthy sniffle. She smiled a thanks at Drev and returned her attention back to Paulie. She took strength in Drev's touch, leaning into it now and again.

"Ok, so aside from the single boyfriend, the host of friends at school and your brothers can you think of anyone else who might do this?"

"No, I'm sorry. I can't imagine there is anyone that obsessed with me. I generally stick to my own devices and tend not to get to chummy with anyone. I've had two jobs my whole life. Dancer and Student. I can give you the name of my former employer, maybe he can help. I was a stripper, but I never had any raving fans, just the regulars. No one obsessed with just me, no one specifically requesting me that didn't ordinarily, and I didn't do lap dances so that wasn't an issue either."

"I'll need that info too. I'll just have you write it all down in a few minutes. I want you to walk me through a typical day for you, before coming to Nachton."

She sighed, and drank the last of her wine. "Could I have some water, please?"

She sighed a second time and went through a typical day.

"I got up around nine, went for a run, showered, ate, went to class from ten to two, a light lunch, then dance classes from two-thirty until six. I would go home have dinner, nap or watch a movie, then I went to work at ten. I got off at two, and was in bed by three."

"When would the calls come?"

"Always after I was done with dinner, either just after I'd finished with the dishes or as I was laying down. Then I would come home from class to find an envelope stuck under my door. The pictures would come after work. He was never completely consistent. I couldn't tell you the exact time he would call because it was never the same."

"When he started talking to you, what would he say?"

"At first he just said my name. Then," she sipped at the glass of water that had been put in front of her. "then, he would say things like. I liked that purple thing you wore today. Then the day before I left when he called, he told me he didn't like my new pajamas."

"Did he say why?"

Wren shook her head, her fingers shredding a tissue into her lap. "No, he hung up right after that."

Paulie wrote in his notebook for a moment, before tearing a clean sheet free. He slid that and his pen over to Wren.

"If you'll just write down that information, I think I can go from what I've got here. I think I have a small suspicion of who our guy is, or at least a decent profile. It's going to take me a while."

Wren took the paper and began to write the addresses of her brothers and the contact information for her former boss. She wanted to call him and let him know what was going down, but she didn't want to compromise Paulie in anyway.
Milazo 18 years ago
"Would you excuse us for a moment, Wren?" She nodded as she jotted down the information. Drev gave her shoulder one more squeeze, then rose from his chair. He looked at Paulie and tilted his head toward the door. The other man got up and followed Drev out into the hall.

"You think you can get his guy, Paulie?" Drev asked in a soft tone once the door was closed gently behind them. Both of the men knew that Drev didn't doubt Paulie's abilities. Drev just needed the reassurance.

"Yeah, I do. I've had more obscure cases than this. The names will help, but I need to see that photo album, Calo."

Drev nodded. They stood a moment in silence, then Paulie spoke. "You like her?" Drev's eyes snapped up to Paulie's. The tone had made it more a statement than a question.

"I care about her," Drev said after a moment. Paulie studied his friend's face; the look in Drev's eyes said he wasn't going to say any more, even if it had been any of Paulie's business. The mafioso gripped Drev's shoulder and gave it an encouraging squeeze.

"We'll get this motherfucker, my friend, and he'll wish his father had never gone to that whorehouse."

Drev couldn't help chuckling as they stepped back into the room.
Wren 18 years ago
Wren looked up at the men entering the room, they looked as though they had shared a bit of guy humor to help them both past the tension she had felt earlier. Her body was still shaking from the recounting of her past. A small pile of tissue bits lay in her lap and her water glass was nearly empty.

She handed the paper and pen to Paulie and began to pick up the white paper from her dress.

"I'll call you in a couple of weeks to tell you what's what. You guys going to stay for dinner? They have chicken cannelloni tonight."

Wren looked at Drev she had no idea what to say. She would like to dance with Drev again, and the cannelloni sounded divine. Her stomach rumbled as if to agree with her.

"I'd like that. Would that be alright, Drev?"
Milazo 18 years ago
"Absolutely," Drev said with a warm smile.

"Oh, one more question if you don't mind," Paulie said as Drev was helping Wren up from her chair. "What would you like me to do with your friend once I find him?" Paulie's voice was confident as he tucked the notebook and pen into the pocket inside his suit coat.
Wren 18 years ago
Wren slipped her purse strap over her shoulder and settled a level gaze on Paulie.

"I want him given to the police, but I want to be there for the take down. I need to see who was doing this to me, and I need to see him given to the system. I trust our justice system, Paulie."

The man opened his hands to her as if to say, he would do what ever she wished. She knew if it was up to him and Drev the man would die a slow painful death, most likely missing vital boy parts. She grinned at the thought, but did not want to be accessory to murder in any way.

Drev held open the door for and they walked down the hall to the maitre'd podium, and Benito rushed up to them to either say good by or show them to a table.
Milazo 18 years ago
"Have you got anything open, Benito?" Drev smiled and gave him a twenty-lined handshake.

"I think I can find something," the host said with a smile. And to Drev's surprise, Benito took the twenty and stuffed it into the breast pocket of Drev's suit coat.

All Drev could do was laugh. 'Buy one, get one free, apparently,' he commented to himself. Placing his arm carefully around Wren's waist, they followed Benito through the nearly empty restaurant to the table they'd had the other night. While the place was virtually empty and they'd have to settle for the restaurants stereo system instead of a live band, the table was still comfortable and quiet.

"Will this be alright?" Benito asked politely. Drev just smiled at Benito then turned to Wren. 'Your call,' his inquisitive smile said.
Wren 18 years ago
"This is fine thank you."

The man helped her into her chair and placed the linen napkin across her lap. She smiled and thanked him. The atmosphere was different tonight, a subdued quiet luxury, a perfect balm for her tattered spirit.

"Your waiter will be right with you. Please, enjoy your meal."

He walked away and was almost immediately replaced by their waiter. He offered menus, but Wren declined.

"A little birdie told us you have chicken cannelloni tonight. I'd like that and the wine the chef recommends with it, please."

She smiled at him, and then turned her attention to Drev. She had so much she wanted to say, but she just couldn't seem to find the words. She chuckled inwardly, this man seemed to have that affect on her far too often.
Milazo 18 years ago
"I'll have the same," Drev said when he was seated. The waiter bowed, and with a "very good," he was gone.

When Drev's attention was fully on Wren, he smiled at her for a moment. It was a comfortable silence, one in which Drev tried to gauge her emotional condition. Well, it wasn't difficult to tell that she was distraught... it was a matter of just how shaken she was. He wanted to say something, ask her if she was handling this alright, but he was also hesitant to linger on it.

"You know," Drev said, a smile beginning to form on his lips. "It was just... what... four days since we were last here? But it feels like it was months ago."
Wren 18 years ago
"Holy crap! It has only been four days. My God, Drev, we've only known each other four fucking days. Wow. I feel like I've known you forever, and your this old friend I'm coming to for help."

The waiter came back with water glasses, set them down and hurried away. Wren picked up her glass and sipped. In four days she had managed to break every cardinal rule she had set up for herself. In just over a week she had left her home, and made a new one with a man. It was like pod people had taken over her and were running her life the exact opposite of what she wanted.

In four short days she had moved in with said man and he had done things to her that she did not think possible. She was still a bit fuzzy on the whole 'How do I feel about this guy?' thing.

"Speaking of old friends, why did Paulie call you Calo?"

Yes, Wren change the subject, no reason to face your feelings head on or anything.
Milazo 18 years ago
"Calo's my real name," Drev replied and took a sip of his water. "I don't use it much anymore - been trying to phase it out, really. I've grown used to being called Drev, and being called Calo can sometimes bring up less than pleasant memories of my parents."

Hearing himself speak the words, Drev realized that he hadn't told Wren anything about his past. Well, the vague version where he conveniently forgets to mention anything about his real age. But other than his musical history, she knew nothing. She knows now that he was involved in the mafia at some point, but that was it.

Drev felt like a chump. Here, she's been spilling her guts to him for the last four days, and she doesn't know any more about him than what you could find on Google. He felt a little obligated to tell her about his past, but there was only so much he could say....

Well, if she asked, he'd give her what information he could. It was the least he could do.
Wren 18 years ago
Wren tilted her and studied Drev for a few moments. She did not think she could ever call him Calo, it did not fit him. Though Drev wasn't even a real name, it was like some made up word, but she liked it.

"It doesn't fit you anyway. Well it does when you take on that think Italian accent to talk to one of your boys, but mostly it doesn't. I think I'll just keep that in reserve for when you piss me off and I need leverage."

She grinned at him, a mischievous twinkle in her eye.

"So since your real name brings up bad memories, I'm going to think you had a less than stellar childhood. Welcome to the club, I'm the president, I'll have your badge to you by the end of the week."

She gave him a dashing smile and then sipped from her water. This was much easier than dwelling on her own past. She'd need to buy a new notebook, her's was full. This would make for interesting journal entries.

"Well since we aren't talking about our childhoods, too messy, let's talk about how you're connected to the mob. If the Godfather is anything to go by, there are only two reasons to have and keep mob connections. You were/are a member or you were/are married to a member. So which is it?"

At some point the waiter had placed bread on their table and she plucked a piece from the basket and began to pick it apart, her teasing grin still on Drev.
Milazo 18 years ago
Surprisingly, Drev was glad to have the conversation turn to his mafia connections,

"Well, since I've never been married..." Drev let the statement hang and gave Wren a wink. "I've managed to keep myself on the fringe, though. It started out as a kind of hobby, to be honest. But once you've made such powerful connections, it's hard not to make use of them when you or a friend has a problem."

"Like yours," he added silently. "I'd gladly indebt myself to the mafia to ease your pain, Wren."

That was a line of thought he didn't particularly want to go down at the moment. He was already digging himself a big enough hole.
Wren 18 years ago
"Ok so you've not even reached middle age and you've had a craptacular childhood, less than stunning teen years, studied with a bushido master, been in the mob as a hobby and you've sung with one of the worlds most popular metal bands. Gosh, when do you find time to save a poor lost girl, give incredible orgasms, much less sleep?"

She chuckled, this was getting fun. She liked a little good natured ribbing and it was nice to not be talking about herself.
Milazo 18 years ago
"Well, I can give incredible orgasms in my sleep," Drev said with a playful grin, "so that saves a lot of time.

"Really though, a lot of that stuff has overlapped..." Drev shrugged, still grinning. "You might be amazed how much time you have when you don't have a traditional job and don't watch television.

"I don't know," he said, finding himself struggling for words. "I guess I don't really pay close attention to the passage of time."

"And it helps to be over seven hundred years old..." Drev shut that voice up. He was getting a little edgy about the direction of their conversation, but at least it's taken Wren's mind off her troubles for the moment.
Wren 18 years ago
"What ever works for you."

She grinned at him and leaned back as the waiter put a steaming plate in front of her. It smelled heavenly and her stomach rumbled, making her mouth water.

"Wow, this looks great thank you."

The man poured out a white wine for them and bowing wished them a good meal and left again. Wren smiled up at Drev and dug into her dinner. They could talk more after her belly was sated, or while she sated it. Yeah.

"I was thinking I would take a day or two off from job hunting, and explore the city. Any place you recommend?"
Milazo 18 years ago
"Well," Drev said around a mouthful of food that reminded him of home. "I haven't really had a chance to explore the city much." He took a sip of wine to wash it down. "Although I hear Nachton has a beautiful museum and art gallery.

"Or there's always Kitty's House of Dreams," he added with a smirk. Drev felt a sudden and surprising surge of desire for the woman sitting across from him, and he wasn't entirely sure he knew where it had come from. Yeah, she looked gorgeous in that Little Black Dress, but... that came pretty much out of nowhere. Hopefully she didn't notice his face flush and wouldn't think anything of his intense interest in how the food was arranged on his plate.
Wren 18 years ago
Wren cocked an eyebrow at him. Pursing her lips to keep from smiling, she cut another bite from her pasta and slid it into her mouth. This really was an amazing dish, creamy and spicy, and rich all at the same time.

"I'll keep that in mind. The art gallery and museum sound nice, but I've never been a big fan of looking at dead people's imaginations or artifacts. Is there any out door stuff? I've found the mall, and I know I want to better explore the Strip. What about the night life, know any good places to bump and grind the night away?"

She nearly choked on the wine she's just put in her mouth. 'Go, go double entendre. Le sigh.'