Welcome to the Midatlantic

Palmer scanned the crowd for familiar faces, in particular a certain white blonde head, but didn't have much luck with either. He wasn't expecting much; he didn't really know anyone in the city save Thaddeus, though he had heard descriptions and the like, and had come in totally prepared to fly solo. He gave the crowded room another once over, cursing his height, then settled back to get a feel for the scene.

He had left his fedora at the coat check, drawing the line between noticeable and conspicuous. It was hard enough to miss a black guy in a zoot suit with a shaved head; the red-feathered black hat pushed the envelope a little too much, and up here there was a different vibe. He didn't know the rules yet, but he watched, and tried to pick out the pecking order.

Hmm. That table's occupants didn't give a shit, and it looked like they didn't have to. On the other hand, the table next to them seemed to care very much about who was doing what and where, shooting dirty looks at the more boisterous table. Telling, very telling. Then there was a table with a group blocking his view; he saw a flash of pale blond hair but knew before catching a glimpse of the man's profile that it wasn't his friend. He would have to come back to that.

Then there were the clusters standing around, perhaps establishing their position before they settled into tables. These were the interesting groups, Palmer thought. The ones sitting down already knew their place. He smirked a little as a couple was batted away from a well dressed group with a speed that made him think of an ornery badger with two inch claws protecting his hiding place. Goodness, how very testy.

Interested now, he headed forward to, with any luck, intercept the couple as they walked away.

Shay 18 years ago
Feeling bad that Alexi had been put into the position of defending her like that, Shay still was able to walk away a little taller because of his support. Having him be with her like that, was a different experience for her, she realized, as she watched and listened to him censure the man with Meegan, and Rachyl. Besides having her father protect her like that when she had been very young, Shay had really stood pretty much on her own since growing up. And she liked feeling strong, and in control, so it all had worked out well. Until now. Now, when not only was she still battling insecurities over the operation, and resulting life changes, but when she was just physically weaker than she had been in a long time.

Taking his arm, she turned and followed him away from the other group, and put a smile on her face. She wanted them both to have a good time tonight, and even if it hadn't started out that way, she was damn sure going to try and have it end up that way.

Seeing something from the corner of her eye, Shay stopped, and pulled Alexi to a stop as well. A man she didn't recognize seemed to be headed towards them.

"Do you know this man...who seems to be headed towards us?"

She whispered into Alexi's ear, as she made sure she was still smiling. Under usual circumstances, Shay had been told she had a disarming smile...and though it hadn't worked earlier, she decided to give it another go.

She looked up at him, and then back at the man.
Mathias 18 years ago
Balvan , he muttered as they left the table. Many sins could be forgiven,but that sort of snobbery and rudeness was not among them. More than that,the tone of Shay's voice when she asked to leave nearly broke his heart. Luckily,that will most likely be the last we see of those two , he thought to himself.

He followed Shay's head and noticed the man coming your way. While not on the level of Addison's kimono or Winter's Godzilla costume, his outfit assuredly made him stand out. However he was unfamiliar and Mathias wondered why he was seemingly intent on intercepting them.

"No,love. I do not know this man,but he seems to either know us or would like to."

Moving his body so as to put himself in a better position to protect Shay,Mathias awaited this new person's arrival.
Palmer 18 years ago
Palmer’s grin turned to a full fledged smile when the couple stopped walking and the lovely blonde woman looked his way. He paused in his slow gait and put a hand to his heart, as though her smile had made it stop, then continued on, strolling through the crowd to end up in front of the couple.

His smile held a little longer before his expression turned solemn.

“My goodness, but this –is- quite the affair, isn’t it?” He held out his hand to the gentleman, as he was standing closest, and introduced himself. “I’m Palmer Calhoun, and I don’t believe I know a single soul here! I’m left to look for kind faces, in a strange, but lovely, I assure you, quite lovely, city, and I am looking around and seeing so many sharks in the water I hardly know which way to turn!” He gave a not entirely feigned shiver at his analogy, then resumed his earlier smile. “But you two seemed so friendly. I knew as soon as I laid eyes on you two, that –you- would not turn away a gentleman intent on meeting new faces, that –you- would not say ‘go back to Charleston, Palmer,’ that’s where I’m from, Charleston, could you tell? The accent is a giveaway, I know.”
Mathias 18 years ago
Though taken aback somewhat by the stranger's forwardness, he had to admit the man -Palmer- did have a certain charm to him. Giving a chuckle he nodded his head.
"See,I would have placed you around Myrtle Beach,myself - of course it has been a while since I last visited." About 150 years,truth be told.

Scanning the room,he watched the whirl and swirl as cliques were formed,attracting and repelling one another. Noticing Simon and company,he saw Alec and Ginnie had arrived. Well I promised Alec we would see them here he reminded himself.

"You are right, quite a few social predators trolling the shores this night. But where are my manners? I am Mathias Alexandrei, and this radiant beauty is Shalimaar O'Mannon."

Offering a hand to Palmer, Mathias gently rubbed Shay's back with his other.
Shay 18 years ago
Flattered at the physical reference to his heart, Shay's thoughts of the rude man were completely obliterated when she heard Palmer speak...and speak...and speak. Her smile grew until she thought it might split her face, as she listened to his lilting accent, and the words he used to describe his experiences at the ball thus far. Happy to hear Alexi provide introductions, Shay leaned into him just a bit.

"Hello Palmer Calhoun, it 'is' a pleasure to meet you, and 'I' think we're a friendly pair."

Holding out her hand towards him, Shay's eyes were bright with delight at this stranger's apparent strong show of intelligence at coming to them for conversation. She thought just the sound of his voice would liven up any situation, and giggled at the references he made.

"There are definitely sharks about, but I think if we use care in where we tread water, we should all be fine."

She hoped Palmer continued to find them friendly, after speaking with them. Shay knew not everyone liked her, or Mathias - though those people she held no hope for. But she at least liked to be given a chance by those she met. Palmer seemed to be sincere in his desire to get to know people, and their circle of friends could always stand to be widened.

"Have you come to fair Nachton for business or pleasure?"
The Mayor 18 years ago
'Well hello hello!' The Mayor stepped into the small circle of chatting guests and took note of the unfamiliar face.

Bowing deeply to the dark skinned man, the Mayor made his introduction.
'I am Mayor C. John Apollo, young man. Welcome to Nachton.' He nodded towards the other two guests and made the proper hurumph noises and then spotted someone else to harass.

'Dinner will be served soon, definitely try the asapargus tips! Carry on!' With an almost too loud laugh, the mayor did indeed...carry on.

((ooc the mayor in and out))
Palmer 18 years ago
Palmer gave a chin-lifted chuckle at Mathias’s response, grinning widely.

“Oh, you were close though! You were within range, you’ve seen, you know!”

Not having traveled much in his lifetime, it never failed to surprise him when visitors to his home from out of town failed to notice the difference between the various drawls and lilts of the south; to some, everyone south of the Mason Dixon line simply had ‘a southern accent’, and his new acquaintance had hit quite close to the mark considering. Of course, the thought that he wouldn’t know the difference between a Maine accent and a Boston one never once crossed his mind.

He shook Mathias’s offered hand as introductions were made, then snapped his fingers and pointed before taking Shalimar’s hand and bowing to place a light kiss on the knuckles.

“There it is! That was just the word I was looking for. I was standing just over there and thinking…Palmer, I said to myself, Palmer, how can you possibly describe that vision of loveliness? –Radiant-. Radiant beauty, and you have the name to go with it, too. Shalimar. Names are important, don’t you think, and you are both blessed with such interesting ones, too. In any case, the pleasure is entirely mine, I assure you!”

He grinned at the pair’s acknowledgement of the social elements, nodding in agreement with Shalimar’s sentiment and thinking there were times he needed a life preserver in this environment. He supposed it was fitting for a person who couldn’t swim and tended to stop breathing when the water went passed his toes.

“Indeed, indeed. And I came to do business, but hope that pleasure is not out of the question.” He flashed a smile. “I have –family- of a sort up here, though as I leave home only very rarely, would you believe I’ve never met them? Shocking, I know; sometimes the world just feels too big. In any case, I’ve a dear friend to visit as well, so it’s not all work work work, and of course I’m here tonight, enjoying myself more by the moment.” With that he gave the pair a solemn wink.

“And what about you two? Are you among the four people in the room who are here out of a heartfelt concern for, oh, look, I made a pun, for the Randall Heart Charity? It’s perfectly all right, I won’t tell if you’re here to join the festivities and socialize, they’re getting our money either way!”

Palmer did manage to quiet down when someone quite self important approached them and introduced himself as the Mayor. He shook hands and said his thanks, then watched as Mayor Apollo wandered away with a look of amusement.

“Shall I be flattered? He called me –young-. It must be the moisturizer.”
Shay 18 years ago
Shay would have to ask Alexi when the last time he had been in South Carolina. There was so much about him she didn't know. But once again Palmer's animated style distracted Shay, and she found herself laughing softly.

"Such gentlemen you are down in the south, it's really a shame there aren't more of you around...you with your flattery and sugary words, to teach all the other men just how to treat a lady. Present company excluded, of course."

Her hand rested along Alexi's back, under his tux jacket, just lightly on top of his shirt. She could feel the heat of his skin though, even through the material.

Out of habit she almost corrected Palmer's use of her name, as she normally didn't care much for Shalimar, but coming from him, the name sounded nothing normal, and she actually found herself wanting to hear him say it again.

"And how wonderful is that, getting to meet long lost family, and on the company dime too? An opportunity no one should ever pass up. I hope they exceed your expectations. Plus visiting a friend...you do know how to organize your time to the fullest, don't you Palmer. Just as long as you enjoy yourself, then whatever the outcome, you'll be ahead."

Family could always be tricky, and if it was a branch he was just meeting, chances were it might be awkward, but rewarding in the long run. At least he didn't seem the shy, retiring type, which should help with the meetings.

His query on their motivation for attending the party gave Shay a short pause. While she did give well to charities, these particular tickets hadn't been purchased by her or Alexi, so she couldn't truly claim altruism.

"My publisher gave us the tickets, Palmer. She thought I might be able to gain a little more insight into the Nachton population, but I think we just lucked out. I'm sure the firm donates so much a year to various charities, and as it happened this event was in my own backyard, so to speak. So, viola. Of course any charity that goes to finding cures for health issues is something that we should all participate in. I mean, we all benefit from them in one way or another, right?"

And maybe in another ten years, women like Shay wouldn't have to give up on the dreams of motherhood, if they find a cure for what she went through.
Mathias 18 years ago
Yes...sugary words and flattery....
Mathias stifled the jealous response before it had even started. Silly reaction, he mused to himself. Besides,Shay was right, manners were a big deal down South - made him feel at home almost.

"Well,in all fairness,Shay brings out the best in me - without her I'd be an unkempt barbarian to be true." He chuckled and smiled at Shay,gently squeezing her hand. He turned to Palmer.
"But what man can't say that eh?"

Palmer's mention of family reminded Mathias that his more immediate kin were no longer here..and that he had not checked on more recent kin of late. That is something I should be doing....
"Yes,seeing family is always good - and if you can accomplish work along with it so much the better!"

He barely noticed the mayor's entry and exit. If he remembered correctly the mayor was in the pocket of Anantya. Likely a toady and sycophant,not worthy of notice really. Mathias failed to note how similar that view was to those they had recently left.

"Sometimes I think being with me is Shay's greatest charity work,but I'm not one for 'polite society' as it were. A good charity however deserves the attention and if I must navigate societal piranha's oh well"

He hoped his laugh let Shay and Palmer know that he was,in fact,joking around. Mathias had never been one for parti4es really, and even in Constantinople preferred to be out do something..ANYTHING..rather than attend court.

Idly scanning the area,he noticed the bar and Addison there,getting drinks talking to some woman. What really got his attention however,was the man standing next to the woman. A very familiar face,but one that had not been seen in some time.

Shay's friend Paul.
Palmer 18 years ago
Palmer put his hand to his heart again in a dramatic gesture, taking a step back.

“Flattery! Flattery, she says, oh, but I am wounded! Such accusations! I’ve merely spoken the truth, you’ll convince her of that I’m sure…” He spoke the last to Mathias before breaking off into chuckling, looking not the least bit wounded but putting on a show nonetheless. “All too true, my fellow barbarian; what a fair lady does to civilize us.”

He considered mentioning that he was not precisely on the company dime, but it was close enough to the truth and made for a simpler explanation, so he let it go.

“Well I try to be efficient but in truth I should say that I have ‘family business,’ so my duel purposes can be met in one sitting.” He held out his hands palm up. “A win- win situation, to be sure.”

He gave a solemn nod to Shalimar’s response, interested at her mention of a publisher, and broke into a grin at Mathias’s reply. The pair seemed genuinely well matched, very unlike many of the ‘power couples’ he had met over the years that remained together for appearance’s sake.

“Of course, I wouldn’t dream of implying otherwise. If nothing else, I find I rather enjoy living in a world where people have access to all this amazing technology and medical science.”

It was true enough; while he and his kind were less likely to benefit from human medicine, it still affected him on some level. Regardless of one’s clan, all of their kind had a hand in the human race.
Shay 18 years ago
Alexi really was incredible when he spoke as if it had been Shay who gave their love life. His modesty would never cease to amaze her, but she knew that it had been he who had given her life new, more meaningful purpose.

When he spoke to Palmer of family, it reminded her of her own lack of attention to her's, outside of Tristan, and Alexi. She needed to talk to her mom, and decided to do so first thing in the morning, after Alexi had gone to sleep.

And then before she knew it he was back talking about her again. She really couldn't fault him, as she liked talking about him when with friends. It must be normal to want to share that part of their lives...the part that made so much sense, and gave them such great happiness.

"Mathias is being modest. He does just fine in society, and would do you men of the south proud, for he knows how to behave much better than men of today. Most men of today..."

Shay caught her slip too late to retract, but hoped it would mean nothing to Palmer. It was so easy for her to accept that he was from a different time, and that even though he'd lived 'through' the past several hundred years, one part that set him apart in her eyes was what he brought from that time, so long ago. Who would have thought that the feminist in Shay would grow to love and appreciate the old fashioned style of this man.

"Point in fact, its his chivalrousness that allowed me to coerce him into attending tonight. He knows I tend to be a social gadabout."

She leaned into his side for emphasis, and to feel his warmth against her. The night air seemed to be seeping into the ballroom, and settling along the tops of her bare shoulders.

Glancing up at him, she noticed he was looking towards the bar, and her eyes followed the line in that direction. Startled, she half swallowed, half breathed in the gulp of champagne she had intended to just sip, and her body began choking.

Trying to capture enough breath to get her lungs working again soon seemed next to impossible. It wasn't as if something was blocking the airway, but more that she just couldn't seem to stop coughing long enough to breathe. She handed her glass of champagne to Palmer, and gripped Alexi's arm, wanting his help, but knowing there really wasn't anything that he could do for her.

Reaching into her small bag, she withdrew a tissue, and turned away from the men to try and blow her nose as discreetly as she could, which in turn finally gave her a small respite. Small yes, but big enough that she was able to get air back inside herself, and the coughing, even though it returned, was not much less frequent.

Feeling momentarily exhausted, she leaned into Alexi just a little more as she continued to make forced effort to control her breathing and the coughing.

"Oh, my, word...*cough*...that, will, teach me...*cough*."

Again she stopped talking, and stood very still as she took a few more breaths. Once she had recovered, she dabbed the corner of the tissue to her eyes, and allowed herself just a second to check the mirror in her purse before smiling at the patient men. Her makeup, miraculously, was none the worse for wear.

"Please forgive me, I just saw someone I met in Nachton months ago, for the first time, and haven't seen again since. I should know better than to drink and think at the same time."

She wasn't really embarrassed. What had happened was just one of those things that no one could really prevent. But she could still laugh at herself for it.

"Thank you, Palmer."

Tucking everything back into her bag, Shay took her drink back from Palmer. Glad to see no one was overly fussy about her coughing fit, Shay really didn't need the added attention anyway she relaxed. But she noticed her drink was now empty, and since she really wanted to say hi to Addison, she asked the men if they wanted to accompany her.

"Before something such as that happens again, maybe I'd better make sure to keep my glass full."

Taking an arm from each man, she led them towards the bar.

(all out - with permissions - and to this thread)