Where to Begin II (open)

The limo driver stopped at what appeared to be Nachton's equivalent to 5th Avenue. He found a parking spot near the middle and opened her door. For once, she actually stopped for a moment to talk to him, clarifying what was where and arranging for him to take care of any packages she acquired.

As luck would have it, the shop they were in front of was exactly where she needed to start, so she stepped inside, a small smile crossing her face at the displays of lingerie. As tedious as shopping could be, the end results were worth it, especially when it involved clothing such as this. It was too bad she didn't know what Sorin's tastes were ~ this would have been the perfect opportunity to find something he'd like in the event she didn't already have it.

That thought had her chuckling to herself. She couldn't recall the last time a man had intrigued her this much and that it was more than just his physical qualities she found appealing was an unexpected bonus. It would not surprise her in the least to find he could get her into quite a bit of trouble, but oh it would be a very entertaining ride.

"Can I help you find anything?"Â?

Fiona turned to the saleswoman, all amusement wiped from her face. She explained what she needed and the saleswoman nodded, thoughtful.

"Give me one moment, dear, I believe I have just the thing."Â?

Fiona watched her wander to the back of the store and turned her attention back to a display of corsets. It amused her that these had come back in style ~ though they were a hundred times more comfortable than anything she had worn when she was younger.

(OOC ~ this takes place before the banquet!)

Pakpao 18 years ago
Ninety nine times out of a hundred Pak was quite successful in conducting business with her few outside clients through conference calls or, if push came to shove video conferencing. It worked out best for everyone. Less travel for her and no odd questions about the hours, she insisted on keeping. It also meant she could hit the mute button and tell people what she thought of them without alienating anyone.

Still she had some old clients coming in from Paris and they were a little old fashion and insisted on speaking to her in person. So she had to make a trip to New York next week and that also meant she needed a new suit. That irritated her, she truly disliked shopping it was tedious and she always wound up looking the same.

As if on a mission she was making her way through to the business wear, which wasn’t nearly as much fun as software, but paused to raise an eyebrow at a display of corsets.

“Those cannot possibly be comfortable.”

The remark wasn’t really addressed to anyone in particular, but she felt it was an accurate observation.
Fiona 18 years ago
Fiona had been debating whether she actually wanted a red corset overlaid with black lace when she heard a voice off to the side. Turning her head she saw an Asian appearing woman looking at the display as if it might bite her. Smiling politely, she shrugged.

"If worn properly, they aren't too bad. They do wonders for one's posture not to mention cleavage."Â? She felt the boning absently, feeling it give a little. Oh yes, much more comfortable than the old whale bone ones. If you were very lucky you could breathe when wearing one of those. And then there were the petticoats, and chemises... if anything, she much preferred the freedom of today's styles. Her smile turned a touch wicked as she considered one made of black silk and her accented voice purred. "And men absolutely adore them. That in and of itself is worth a bit of discomfort, don't you think?"Â?
Pakpao 18 years ago
Not too bad simply wasn’t going to cut it, not without a very good reason. Been there, done that; Pak had suffered for beauty and business before and was brilliantly relived that now her wardrobe could center around business casual. Even when she went black tie the most uncomfortable thing she would do it wear some aggressive heels.

The French accent reminded Pak why she was here; clients, shopping, necessary evil. Right, she’d stall.

“Hardly.”

That was a little more bitter than she’d intended, she still held a grudge against being forced into prostitution. She preferred to be noticed for something other than her looks.

“There are more comfortable and practical ways of getting attention.”

Like helping to design a really killer AI. Figures her own creation would inadvertently play match maker. Oh… she should get something for him. Hell more shopping.
Fiona 18 years ago
Fiona raised an eyebrow at the other woman’s tone and turned her head to look at her quizzically. Comfort and practicality were generally not high on her list of concerns when men were involved. Well, comfort was, to a degree. The ability to move was always welcome. But practical? She honestly could not think of a single situation where that had been an issue.

That got her to thinking though. It might not be a bad idea to get someone else’s opinion, and maybe add something interesting to her wardrobe she would not have considered on her own.

“Truly?” Fiona was in a bit of an odd mood tonight and decided to humor the other woman. She waved a hand at the assembled lingerie, her smile returning. “And what would you consider to be both comfortable and practical?”
Pakpao 18 years ago
Oh that was an odd look the other woman had given her. Was she in a mood tonight? Pak thought about that for a second. No. No, she didn’t think so. Mentally shrugged, she could worry about that later.

A Doubting Thomas? Someone who still believed you had to suffer for beauty and that you had to bring the guys to you? Wow, that seemed rather anachronistic.

A twisted smile in place Pak's blue eyes lit up.

“Software. One size fits all and if your good enough people will sit up and take notice.”

Yes, she had just declared herself a hard core geek, but that was nothing to be ashamed of.
Fiona 18 years ago
Fiona was certain she had not heard the woman correctly. She was sure she'd been in America long enough to have picked up most of the slang, but unless she was very much mistaken, they were not exactly speaking about the same thing. What, in the name of god, did software have to do with lingerie? She stared at her, not entirely sure what to make of this one.

"Pardon? Software?"Â?

Gathering her scattered thoughts together, she studied the other woman a bit closer. She was really rather attractive and obviously not inclined to follow the beaten path. While Fiona could admire independence in a woman, she also felt there were some things that had been lost in the gaining of that independence. Like the concept of men acting like gentlemen. Oh, there were exceptions, of course. But unless properly trained from youth, most human males tended to be... crass. And many women had lost the elegance of the old days.

"I am curious. While you may be capable of creating software that is noticed, why must you give up beauty like this"Â? she indicated the assembled clothing "to do so? One does not have to suffer to be attractive ~ you are already a beautiful woman. But if there is someone special, a small surprise like this can do wonders for the relationship."Â?

Fiona held up a dark red silk gown, that while it would cover everything, would still leave little to the imagination. While not practical ~ after all, it had one use, it was as she knew from experience, comfortable.

(OOC ~ ooooo... nice one ~ Fiona darn near fainted at that line! She is such a snob!)
Pakpao 18 years ago
Pak laughed at the reaction her quip had gotten. However, it also got her to lighten up. There was no need for her to sound like Susan B. Anthony. It was just lingerie.

“I’m sorry. Really. Some days shopping sets me off.”

Flipping her long black braid over her shoulder, she took an unbiased look at the garment in question. It was beautiful.

Smiling to accept the compliment, her lightness faltered for a second. Her appearance had been the basis of her first career. But without that where would she be? Clanless, and probably dead and forgotten without ever having left Siam; no she owed something to her appearance and couldn’t dismiss it that lightly. Besides, it had been more than a hundred years, time to shelve some of those memories and start fresh.

“It is lovely and no doubt it would be very effective. It might just be a little early in the relationship for these surprises.”

One had to manage an un-chaperoned date before surprises were necessary, didn’t they? For now a nice bottle of wine, a new set of screwdrivers or maybe some Silly Putty were probably more appropriate.

Were they appropriate? Pak thought for a second. Good god it had been a very long time since she’d been on a date.
Fiona 18 years ago
She could agree on the shopping setting one off. Given a choice, she went straight to the designer, but that wasn’t always possible. Like now. At least this late in the evening the store was fairly quiet. Although, come to think of it, how late were the shops open here? She hadn’t thought to ask and neither the concierge or driver had seemed concerned. Given the nature of this particular city, she would not be surprised to learn there were things open all night to accommodate the Clans. Another point in Nachton’s favor.

Fiona shrugged when she said it might be too early in the relationship for surprises of this nature.
“Perhaps now, but if you truly like this gentleman and enjoy his company, it might do for later, non? Something to think of?”

It would look quite good against the woman’s dark hair… she paused in her thinking, trying to determine where these thoughts were coming from. Since when had she cared what a human would look like to her mate? The thought was simply unnatural. And very unnerving. It had to be years of dealing with young women who wanted to work for her. She had had similar talks with them ~ her girls had always been treated well and protected ~ she allowed no abuse in her establishments. And none came except of their own free will. It was not charity or morals that dictated this, but good business sense. If your employees were happy in their work, they performed it better. Shaking her head to clear it, she set the dress back on the hook and considered one next to it ~ a shorter, more sheer version in a very dark green. That one might do for herself, she picked it up to check the construction.

“What do you think of this one?” While similar to the other, it was very much lacking in practicality. And would not be worn long enough for comfort to be an issue.
Pakpao 18 years ago
“Nothing wrong with thinking about it.”

OK now she was starting to wonder. Just how much had dating changed? Pak hadn’t considered this. Her marriage had been arranged, clients were different from a date, and the few dates she’d been on had been how many decades ago. She needed to stop thinking about this now. Things were going well as long as she didn’t think about it.

Over all, though it was an odd conversation to be having with a total stranger. Of course, if she got out more there would be fewer total strangers. That and MARI was hardly the right person to talk to. At least Pak thought the AI wouldn’t be much help, of course you could never be sure with MARI, she had grown so much it was astounding.

Feeling slightly diplomatic she refrained from saying the green reminded her of a motherboard. See, this is why she shouldn’t go shopping with work on her mind everything wound up relating back to computers. And while she found a certain beauty in a motherboard or a card, other people wouldn’t understand or think she’d lost her mind.

“I think the green would look good on you. I’m sure he’ll appreciate the surprise.”
Fiona 18 years ago
Still unsettled at the direction of her thoughts, Fiona was oddly pleased she was willing to think about it.

"If nothing else, you could always pamper yourself."

Fiona stared blankly at the green silk, not really seeing it, when the other woman mentioned that "he'll appreciate the surprise." Now how in the world had the tables been turned like that? She supposed it made a certain amount of sense, considering the tone of the conversation thus far. It could be assumed that her interest in lingerie was intended for a specific someone, but since she currently didn't have anyone... well, not exactly. Granted she did have a date in the near future, but that didn't mean... though she had had a wonderful time last night... she suddenly started laughing, realizing she was being incredibly silly.

"Touche, mademoiselle. It would appear we are in similiar circumstances, no?"

This had to be the oddest conversation she had held with anyone in over a century. While not exactly shy about sex, she generally did not engage in anything resembling a relationship with the men she enjoyed.

"I think I will take it, and if the appropriate circumstances do not arise, then I will still have something lovely to wear."
Pakpao 18 years ago
“Somehow I don’t think that is what the Boy Scouts meant when they said “Be prepared.”

Still at least the other woman was laughing and not offended by her assumption. Hell she did have an OK idea at that. Maybe she would take the red one, it couldn’t hurt. After all what would be the worst-case scenario, it hung in her closet and gathered dust.

Quickly flipping through the rack Pak found her size in the red; better do this now before she started thinking about it.

“So it would seem and it seems like a good game plan. But am sure glad you didn’t pick up the corset.”

Ack, she still hadn’t made it back to the suits. Well the meeting wasn’t until next week.

“What part of France are you from?”

It was a perfectly logical nosy question and not nearly so… that is it was more typical than discussing lingerie with a stranger. After asking about corsets and silk how could geography be invasive?
Fiona 18 years ago
Fiona gave up and gave into the good mood she found herself in. The woman seemed harmless enough and had a unique way of looking at things. It was refreshing in it's own odd way.

"Probably not, but then what can one expect from boys?"Â?

She found the green slip in the right size while the red one was also located. Eyeing the corsets again, she grinned when the woman commented on them. She could always get one later, and those would have to be tried on to get the right fit.

"Oh, I don't know. Wearing one conveys a certain attitude that can be rather intoxicating... for both parties."Â? She winked at her and started looking for a robe to match the slip.

She had to think for a moment about where she was from. The political climate in Europe had changed dramatically in the last 350 years and she honestly did not know if the city where she was born still stood, or even had the same name.

"In Franche-Comté, outside of Besançon, though it has been a long time since I was there. I've lived in Great Britian for quite some time. Things are very... different here in America."�
Pakpao 18 years ago
“I’d expect them to be hanging out with more Girl Scouts so they could learn a thing or two.”

Lack of oxygen could be very intoxicating; light-headiness, dizzy, possible impairment of mental functions. No, Pak liked being able to think straight and wasn’t that ready to experiment with clothing. One’s wardrobe should not be lethal.

Rather than debate the matter she just let it drop. Everyone was entitled to an opinion.

“I’ve never been that far east, but I’m not big on any kind of winter sport and so don’t feel too bad about it. I lived in Paris for a few years,” Twenty five or thirty, at least that sounded right. “and didn’t find things too different. But maybe that’s because I’m comparing a city to a city.”
Fiona 18 years ago
Fiona sighed a bit at the thought of Paris. It had been too long since she had visited that city, but she stopped going as the pain always came back when she was there.

“The biggest differences seem to be with the people, the atitudes?.” That was a bit of an understatement, but Fiona was still finding difficulties coping in this era. The time she had spent with Sorin was the closest she had gotten to the world she had grown up in. Odd, to find that here, in America. “It is lovely where I grew up, though you are correct about the winter sports. Perhaps it is simply bred into us.”

Looking over the other woman, she considered her possible heritage. From the time she had spent in the Orient and Far East, she knew full well that none of them took kindly to being thought of a country other than their own.

“I would guess then, that you hail from a much warmer climate?”

That should be safe enough, though rather vague, even for her.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Certainly there was some difference in attitude, in culture if you would. Pak had to approach her French clients just a little differently than her American ones. Still she’d never found the difference to be that insurmountable or hard to deal with. Either way she nodded slightly in agreement.

The mention of a warmer climate made Pak smile. She truly had issue with the cold. Even the slight walk from her car to the door was –not- fun and she had checked a thick coat that proved that. However, without knowing exactly whom she was dealing with she stick to her current alias. While she was using her real name admitting to be from another country seemed too flashy and there was no call to admit anything that garnered extra attention.

“Very true; no snow in LA at all. Before moving here the worst I dealt with was Paris or Seattle.”
Fiona 18 years ago
Fiona finally located a robe that would compliment the slip and added that to her arm. Glancing around the store, it occurred to her she should have the rest of her clothing brought down, but she really didn't have the space for it at them moment. She would need to look into more permanent living arrangements in the near future, but that could wait until after the banquet. There was still a lot she needed to know about Nachton.

"I've never been to the west coast. In fact I've only been in America for a few years, in New York. A friend suggested I try Nachton, so..."Â? Fiona shrugged, "Â?here I am. So far it has been a very agreeable visit."Â?

More than agreeable and her smile widened a bit thinking about all the possibilities.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Just a visit? That was odd to Pak. For some reason Nachton seemed to be a city you came to when you had a plan, or a goal. It didn’t fit with the normal touristy patterns, after all there was New York and Boston not terribly far away. Much more historical more vacation, trendy and sight seeing oriented.

Of course, if the other woman had been in the states for a few years and New York at that it was natural she’d want a vacation from the city.

“A few years is more than your standard vacation. Business keeping you in the states?”

Pak could be incurable nosey but was doing her best to keep that under control. It wasn’t going particularly well. The idea of ‘an agreeable visit’ and what she appeared to be shopping for made her laugh.

“Given the section of the store we are in I’d say it was a very agreeable visit.”
Fiona 18 years ago
Fiona nodded affirmative, thinking about the business that had kept her in New York. It had been an excuse really, a half-measure to make her feel she was working toward finding Philipe. Modeling had become tiresome and had not garnered the results she had hoped. Oh, there had been a few useful contacts made out of it, but for the most part it had been a waste of time. And so few games to be played, as there was no one who really knew how to play with any finesse or skill.

“I’ve been working there, though it is about time for a change, I think."

Blushing slightly at the dark haired woman’s observation, she smiled. While she felt no need to justify herself, she was enjoying herself too much to put the other woman in her place. There was just no way of knowing what she’d pop out with, something Fiona was finding to be quite entertaining.

“Most agreeable. Though to be honest, this was not what I came in here for exactly. I understand there’s a charity even in a few days and I have been invited. But it seems that there are a few things missing from my wardrobe. The saleswoman is trying to locate them for me.”

Under regular circumstances she would have already called her housekeeper and taken care of the problem, but she had no desire to ruin the good mood she’d been in since arriving in Nachton. Later, when she had a real need to vent, she’d call the woman and deal with it.

Cocking her head a bit, she considered the conversation so far.
“You did not come in here to peruse the lingerie racks, though I still believe that gown will look stunning on you. There are a few other things I would like to look at if you would not mind a bit of company while you find what you need.”
Pakpao 18 years ago
“At the very least it will look great in my closet.”

The mention of the charity event made Pak wince. Black tie and A listers were not quite her style. They were occasionally a nessecary evil, not this time but occasionally. Although… they could shake thinks up, just the tiniest bit. Which in turn might wind up getting someone impeached or some such nonsense. Politicians didn’t seem to appreciate jokes, or hackers. But that was hardly a reason not to attend.

She shelved the idea of the ball, not ruling it out but not jumping up and down about it either.

“So far my plan is to avoid that particular event, although I haven’t really made up my mind.”

What the hell, why not let… er whatever her name was tag along. So far, she’d been a great distraction. Potentially she might keep Pak from taking out a sales clerk and that would help everyone.

“Actually I have a meeting next week in New York with some long time clients, they are coming in from Paris and I need a new suit. You look like you might have a better eye than I do.”

She wasn’t a slob, just predictable and rather safe when it came to dressing. Today was black pants and a blue button down silk shirt; pretty non-threatening and dull but comfortable.

After a moments thought she nodded.

“OK you’re on. Let’s see what we can find.”

She nodded towards the other department and started in that direction.
Fiona 18 years ago
Fiona understood that such events were not to everyone’s tastes. Most were more entertaining for the social shuffling that took place and to manipulate the pieces on the board. It was too bad she did not have the connections to actively participate in that manner this time, but she was looking forward to seeing how Sorin handled things. If he played as well as she thought he did, it would be a very entertaining and educational evening. Not to mention allow her to make a few connections of her own if there were any that looked promising.

At the mention of a need for a new suit, Fiona automatically looked over the clothing she was already wearing and stopped herself from wincing. Practical and comfortable… that pretty much summed it up. The colors were good, but there was no style to it. At a guess, this was typical attire for her companion and she nodded thoughtfully, following her to the business clothing section.

“I am correct in assuming you are a software designer? Thus you spend a great deal of time working at a computer and prefer to be comfortable, yes?”

A quick look over the available selection showed a few possibilities, though she doubted they would be easily accepted. For herself she preferred dark colors, finding pastels and the like to simply fade into her pale skin. If her hair or skin were darker… but it wasn’t and she worked quite well with what she had. At least half her wardrobe was black, the rest a mix of earth and jewel tones. But what the biggest difference, she had found was the fabrics. The right fabric could make an unassuming outfit stunning. And much more comfortable than the same style in different fabric.