New toys

Feeling vaguely lost Pak made her way down to the archives for the first time. Stepping off the elevator she was surprised how empty the place was, although it made sense. How many humans wanted to work this late at night? Although some of her team had gotten rather used to the hours, not many but one or two of them; god bless geeks.

Once downstairs and not wanting to have anyone question what she was up to she followed the advice that when in doubt you should walk fast and carry a clipboard; well she had a binder a small pouch and some software and that was just as good. She had been promised a computer to install a new program on and that the archivists would try it out so she could work out the bugs. But which one of these... ah that was it.

Making herself at home the first thing she did was to check the computers specs. She frowned, it figured they'd give her the one that needed an update. OK, so it didn't really need an update, the program just had very specific requirements. So she'd come prepared. Glancing around the desk she realized the computer itself was under the desk.

Grabbing a small screwdriver out of the pouch, she shoved the chair out of the way, sat down on the ground and began to open the case.

Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
There had been a few late-working humans in the archives tonight. They were awaiting the installation of a new computer program, so a few of them had been there for a while clearing away the days' work so when the tech arrived to update things the next day, things wouldn't look so disorganized.

Several recent digs had produced some very interesting artifacts, and it just happened that they'd all shipped back to Meridian at roughly the same time, hence the state of the archives.

Kem heard a few noises in the room with him, but one of the archivists had probably forgotten something... he thought nothing of it as he maneuvered one of the larger boxes off of a set of shelves. It was literally brimming with papers, the last set of records and data from a dig out in St. Louis. Field archaeologists were notorious for being somewhat scattered with their notes, and in this case he'd probably have to go through everything and make sure all the related materials were grouped together before he could put them into the computers and actually archive them.

Wary of levitating the box along with him in case one of the humans was still around, Kem simply carried it down from the shelves. He could just barely see around the side of it, but that didn't matter. He had been working by himself anyhow, and no one else should be in his path.

That said, he wasn't expecting a screwdriver to be lying on the floor.

Nor had he expected to step on it.

Following that chain of unexpected delights, he also didn't expect to find himself losing control of his box, doing something between the electric slide, the mambo #5, and a somersault in a pike position as he tried to regain his balance.

It didn't help matters any that immediately behind the screwdriver was a desk chair that had been shoved out of the way.

And behind that, a person sitting on the floor.

It briefly flashed through Kem's mind somewhere between the mambo and the desk chair that he was having a really awful spate of bad luck recently. That was followed immediately by the realization that he had just sent the person beyond the desk chair sprawling as he barrelled over them in an attempt to save his box.

He'd have to sort out his priorities, eventually... but for now the box was a loss and he was wishing a very large hole would open up and swallow him, as he came to rest in a very undignified manner on his ass, tangled up in a heap of papers, desk chair, and other person.

"Shit. I'm sorry. Are you all right? Shit!" He fended off several attacks from fluttering papers and tried to make out the person he'd tripped over so ungraciously. Perhaps not as well-spoken as he could have been, but, well, dignity had flown right out the window the second the electric slide had entered into the equation.

((ooc: Permission to 'bump into' Pak... no permission to dance badly, but she's seen Artemis dance, so the therapy sessions should be relatively short. :P))
Pakpao 18 years ago
Focused on the task at hand it would have taken someone jumping out at her and saying ‘Boo!’ to break that concentration. So, Pak didn’t notice the sound of footsteps. If she had, she might have thought to clean up after herself, or at least warn the person approaching that she had a bit of a work area going on over here.

As it was, she had just gotten the case off and set it aside when she caught some movement out of the corner of her eye. She barley enough time to marvel at the creativity of the action but the next thing she knew she was part of it.

Making a desperate and successful effort to keep the open machine from falling over that was good. Winding up flat on her back with papers falling around her, one or two sheets covering her face, was not good and brought forth a string of Siamese profanity.

Why she never swore in any other language was an oddity, but to Pak felt she couldn’t capture her feelings correctly in English or French, so she stuck to Thai when swearing.

After laying there for a second she blew the papers off her face and sat up and looked around rather disoriented by the tumble.

“I’m not dead.”

OK yes she was but that wasn’t what she meant here.

“And you? Nothing broken?”

Inquiring after her attackers well being Pak sounded very formal, rather like they were being presented in a ballroom rather than in a huge mess of paper and office furniture. She also hoped who ever it wasn’t hadn’t been carrying something priceless, fragile and old. That would be a very bad thing.

Looking at the mess, Pak cringed. Crap, this was her fault too wasn’t it? No, wait it wasn’t she was just doing her job and was assaulted.

“What kind of on the job injury report do you suppose they have for this?”

((OOC… yeah I can see it now Post Traumatic Stress disorder. Between Artemis and Kem Pak may never dance again. ))
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
The heat was definitely rising, Kem realized, as his face burned bright red. Old habits kicking in, he ducked his head and made a pretext of gathering the scattered papers around him to hide the fact as the woman he'd tripped over swore in... sounded like Thai, though it had been ages since he'd used the language. Interesting.

Kem resisted the urge to respond to his victim's claim of "I'm not dead" with a witty, "Really? I am!" He managed to refrain and give a weak, "Oh, good" instead.

Her next question brought him up to his feet, only to hit the ground anew as he belatedly realized his ankle was caught in the arm of the desk chair. He sent up a flutter of new papers with a groan. Goodbye pride, farewell dignity. "Nothing broken," he confirmed. "But my ego is going to be in a plaster cast for at least three months."

Kem recognized the woman, vaguely. Her dark hair and Asian features were familar, but it was her striking, light blue eyes that brought her face to the fore of his memory. A vampire as well as he, if he recalled correctly, for he was certain he'd seen her several times over the past few decades. If not longer.

He very carefully rose, disentangled himself from the chair and set it a bit away, and offered her his hand.

"I think that falls under the category of unnatural disasters. Perpetuated by yours truly. I apologize; I should have been watching where I was going. I'm Kem, by the way. You'll need that information for your revenge."

He gave her a sheepish grin and crouched to gather up the scattered papers. Spotting the devious little screwdriver, he handed it up to her. "I should have known that was a Phillip screwdriver. They roll so much easier than flatheads."
Pakpao 18 years ago
OK they both weren't dead... well not tragically injured anyway, and after quickly confirming that the computer hadn't been hurt the situation was now officially funny. Especially when the chair asserted itself.

"Plaster cast isn't all bad, at least it's better than traction and I promise to sign it for you."Â?

Accepting the hand Pak found her feet, trying very hard not to wrinkle the papers, at least not wrinkle them any more and tried to come up with her assailant's name. Pak knew she'd seen him about, he was rather unique in appearance, but she couldn't place him.

Of course, if he hid in the archives the way she could hide in her office that wasn't surprising.

"No it's a perfectly natural disaster and what comes of me leaving my tools on the floor and not announcing my presence. But I didn't realize the archives were such a dangerous place."Â?

The librarian in Pak kicked in and she wound up picking up papers as well and at least trying to get them to all go the same direction.

"If you have some scratch paper I'll write that name down its always good to know who I'm revenging myself on. And if you decide to blame me for undoing three moths of filing I'm Pakpao."Â?

Pak was looking rather intently at the floor and getting a sinking feeling. Where the hell was that screwdriver?
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem couldn't help but laugh at the ridiculous situation they were in now. Not to mention the idea of his ego in traction, which was no doubt where it was headed.

"The archives are very dangerous. I ought to get hazard pay," Kem said with mock solemnity. "Just the other day I had a papercut you wouldn't believe. The pain was nearly intolerable. It was my 'tab' finger too. I could barely use my keyboard."

All right, even he couldn't keep spouting such nonsense forever. But the levity helped soothe his damaged pride.

"And if anything," he said, running his fingers through his now-disheveled hair, "you've only helped organize these papers. Field archaeologists aren't exactly famous for their meticulous filing. Note-keeping, they're good at. Organizing it, not so much."

Discovering a piece of torn paper on the floor with a wince, he checked both sides to make sure it didn't have any notes on it. Finding it blank, he handed it to Pakpao with a half smile. "There you go... it might have been a valuable resource at one point, but it's scratch paper now. Nice to meet you - although hopefully I'll be able to avoid causing you bodily harm from now on."

Kem gently put the last few papers back into the box, set it carefully aside, and looked down at where Pakpao had been sitting. There was a computer, with the case off, underneath the desk that she had apparently been working on - or preparing to work on.

"I didn't screw up your project there, did I? Are there any pieces missing?" He glanced down at the floor. That would definitely suck. Tiny little computer pieces were far more annoying to find and get back in shape than piles of paper.
Pakpao 18 years ago
“Hazard pay? Really. Well that sure explains why I can’t get anyone to come down here during normal working hours.”

Actually, it wouldn’t have been hard to get someone else to do the installation, but Pak didn’t currently trust anyone else with the project.

Relived to hear she hadn’t destroyed months of work Pak sat back down on the floor. Taking the paper, she looked at Kem with a rather lopsided grin.

“What you want to exchange insurance information?”

She was about to say nice to meet you when things clicked. Kem… Kem! Aishe’s Kem, wow. How the girl was avoiding someone who was in such close proximity was a marvel. Squashing that train of thought, but now knowing for sure Kem was a vampire, Pak spotted her screw driver and rather than getting up to get it mentally pulled it back to her.

“No, no harm done on my side either, I’d just gotten the case off and hadn’t started yet; although I’m now reconsidering installing this program unless I get hazard pay as well. Perfectly unfair that archivist get it and programmers don’t.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
"Hey, we archivists have to deal with all sorts of trauma. Have you ever seen an infected papercut?" Kem gave a theatrical shudder.

Noting the moving screwdriver, he waited until Pakpao had it within reach and then tugged it out of the way, sending it skittering back the way it had come from.

He moved around the desk he'd sat the box on, picking it up and pulling up a chair to move it to instead. Putting it back down, he began to systematically leaf through the papers, beginning the tedious task of grouping them all back together by project number and artifact ID, where applicable... if they'd ever been grouped together so before the perilous crash.

"You see?" he said, knuckle-deep in filing. "How can you not see the risks associated with this? You think electrical shock is bad, try getting salt in a papercut!"

It was nice, he reflected, to talk to someone who didn't seem to have some kind of life-threatening situation at hand... previous stumbles aside. He did regret the fact that he hadn't spent a lot of time at Meridian prior to this year, but the fact of the matter was that the jobs he normally did for the company required extensive travel.

Peering over the box once more, what Pakpao had said registered. "So, you're installing the new program now? I hadn't thought it would be done until tomorrow. But then agan I had figured on a human doing it, and that's what I get for assuming anything. It'll be nice to have a more efficient system. I'll even split my nonexistent hazard pay with you."

Truth be told, he was itching to get his fingers on the new program. Anything new that was directly related to the archives intrigued him, and although he was a decent hand with eletronic gadgetry, he didn't know much about writing or programming software. New toys, however, were fun - in any form.
Pakpao 18 years ago
"Paper cut?! We'll talk when you have to deal with a room full of armed geeks."Â?

Pak nodded definitively as if that settled the matter. She, however, refrained from mentioning that she was often accused of starting those little wars; Innocent until proven guilty after all.

Another telekinetic? Well he must be because there went her screwdriver and a chair as well. Pak again retrieved her screwdriver, putting it with in easy reach before deciding she should get back to her own work.

"Melting monitors is bad thing... it takes days to get the smell out. That must be just as bad as salt in a paper cut. Maybe we should call it even and both of us demand a raise?"Â?

Pak respected all the hazards of archive work. Dust, paper cuts, the occasional boring coworker who didn't appreciate anyone having fun in a place of learning.

"Do you suppose we need a union for this type of negotiation?"Â?

Kneeling she found the card she was looking for on the desk and, after making sure the power was off, that warning about electrical shocks reminded her she's skipped that step, set about installing the extra hardware.

"That's OK I figured on human archivist so we're even. As to more efficient... well let's just say we got a little creative and this might be a big mistake. That's why I only want to put it on one computer and let you guys take it for a test drive."Â?

An early version of the program had managed to fry a few components, the next version had a nasty habit of freezing and the only way to fix it was to reboot from a disk, this third version she was just starting to be pleased with. It didn't break things, but it was still too big. At least she thought it was, but maybe Kem and his group would disagree.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem twitched at the thought of a roomful of armed geeks. Nevermind that he was generally accepted as one of them, the very idea of it was still a daunting one. It's all fun and games until someone loses a pocket protector. And then they're liable to get meeeean...

He nodded amicably at the suggestion of calling it even, then gave Pakpao a grin at the mention of a raise and the subsequent negotiatons.

"I don't know, but I imagine we could settle the question with some kind of competition." He brightened. "Like a roller derby." It was the best he could come up with... a roomful of armed geeks demanding raises and unions... on skates. "That's actually a frightening thought."

He waited until Pakpao wasn't looking in the direction of her screwdriver and then silently lifted it, moved it abut a foot away, and very gently set it back down. In the meantime, he'd managed to turn the box of papers into several stacks of papers. It was faster without any humans around; sorting of any kind became twice as simple with a third and fourth hand at the ready. He'd been doing this for so long, the papers pretty much flew into their designated piles as quickly as he could process the information on them.

At the topic of the new programming, he lifted a shoulder. "Creativity, efficiency... all right, they don't necessarily go hand in hand, but I have faith in you. I can't wait to try it out. Besides, if I recall, didn't you have rather a large hand in MARI's creation as well? This ought to be cake for you. Spectacular work, by the way." He inclined his head at her. Now that he'd placed her face and name, he seemed to recall her having quite a lot to do with the implementation of the personable AI. Impressive work. To anyone who'd spent any time at Liefde or Meridian, MARI usually ceased to be a computer and started to become a real person after not too long. That was quite an accomplishment, on the behalf of both the creator and the AI.
Pakpao 18 years ago
“Roller derby? Are you sure you’re getting enough oxygen down here?”

But Pak was laughing. That was funny. Yes let’s put a bunch of vampires on roller skate, hope to god they didn’t modify the skates first and see if anyone came out alive… er… still undead.

“At the very least if we propose that as a negotiating tool I’ll bet they’ll give into all of our demands. But it’s all about the numbers. It would have to be a good chunk of us making this threat.”

OK that was the new hardware in, now she just had to reconfigure the system and do the actual installation of the program. Pak reached for her screwdriver to finish closing the case and it was gone. Glancing back, she saw where it had moved to. No way it had moved there on its own. Two could play at this game.

Pak grabbed on of the papers that were being sorted and floated it about twenty feet away and then reclaimed the Phillips.

Pak always felt a bristle of pride at being associated with MARI. All the work she’d done and continued to do the AI would probably be her crown and glory. And Pak was willing to bet that everyone who'd been involved with MARI's creation would say the same.

“You make me blush and I’ll have to hurt you, but thanks. Actually MARI is part of the problem with this program. We’ve tried to incorporate some variations of her more basic learning functions into the data base part of the program so the program can suggest other possible matches or ‘understand’ what you guys are looking for.”
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
"Define 'enough oxygen,'" Kem said with a wry laugh. "And let me just point out that warm air rises, so the heating you folks get on the upper levels is directly related to the amount of bullshit we concoct down here in no man's land." He gave Pakpao another of his quick grins. "What's wrong with a roller derby? Where's your sense of adventure?"

Nevermind the fact that he wasn't exactly known for being outgoing... but he couldn't resist poking just a bit; Pakpao was certainly an entertaining conversationalist. "So... we've determined that we might stand half a chance of coming by raises if we manage to get a small army of roller-skating vampires crowded into a very tight space and... hey now!"

Kem snatched his paper back from where it had whisked itself away across the room. Giving a light tug he wrested it back and slid it back into place in the stack. In retaliation he gave a tug at the screwdriver again, testing Pakpao's grip on it. Telekinesis had been the very first of his abilities, he'd discovered, and it tended to be his strongest by far. As he gave the screwdriver a yank, he said, "You're going to test out a semi AI program on a bunch of archivists?"

Staring at Pakpao with a combination of "she's nuts" and "cool, I can't wait to play with it," he asked, "Who's short on oxygen?"
Pakpao 18 years ago
"Well that certainly explains why I keep having to turn the AC up. You guys have too much time to talk."Â?

Pak just smiled sweetly and batted her eyes as the computer completed its reboot.

Army of roller-skating vampires; that thought made her snicker. Enough so that she just plain refused to do the sensible thing and let go of the screwdriver and hope it hit Kem in the head. No, she kept hold of it and found her self tugged forward a bit, it helped that she was off balance already, but still.

Kem earned himself a menacingly raised eyebrow for that stunt, even if she did approve.

"So do we get full on storm trooper gear for this roller-skating army or are we going more traditional? Either way I think it would be more fun to roam the streets."Â?

Apparently, the extent of the program had surprised him and that was always a great feeling; surprising/scaring the recipient of a new program that is. It was something that made Pak nodded enthusiastically.

"Yup, that's what I'm doing. Don't worry its not nearly as complex as MARI and it won't do anything you don't ask it to. But the thought is that if you guys blow it up at least it won't short out half the city, after all we have a whole other department that specializes in that and my side wouldn't want to step on any toes."Â?

She paused just long enough to open the CD and set her shiny new disk in it and say a little prayer as she closed the drive.

"If it doesn't work you'll have only yourselves to blame. Excessive exposure to carbon monoxide can impair mental function you know. And that's what happens when you mix warm air and bullshit."Â?
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Damn it, Pakpao had a grip like a vice. He gave up tugging on the screwdriver, figuring he'd already knocked her over once tonight; he didn't need another fall on his conscience.

Clapping his hands down on the piles of paper on the desk just in case retaliation was forthcoming, Kem smiled. "Full stormtrooper gear sounds like a whole lot of fun if you ask me. Stormtrooper gear... and bell bottoms. Those were all the rage during the roller derby days, right? I can't remember."

The mention of shorting out half the city actually had some appeal, but that was his mischievious side talking. Pakpao was a wholly bad influence apparently. He managed not to comment on that, but nodded with interest as she explained and then put the CD into the drive.

"Wait a minute. If your program doesn't work, it's our fault? You should have made something compatible with the atmosphere down here. If we don't make up bullshit, we're liable to go mental anyhow, carbon monoxide notwithstanding. In fact, if you hadn't come down here I'd be stark raving mad by now."

He returned her sweet expression from before with an innocent one of his own, watching the computer to see what happened, his own filing on hold for the moment.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Wait, wait, hadn’t she and Artemis had part of a conversation along these lines? Damned bellbottoms. Pak thoroughly objected to the seventies; roller derby and Star Wars aside that is.

She did, however, smile at the memory. The Hustle had to be the one dance he –hadn’t- attempted.

“I’ve already had one Evenhet member do a Travola imitation on me and I don’t think I could live through another. So if you plan on wearing a white suit I need to know now so I can get someone else to install this.”

Idle threat, this was one of the more entertaining field trips she’d been on. Pak gave Kem full credit for not being intimidated or stupid. See another advantage to working nights. She had to set the screwdriver down to actually start typing, and guided a chair over to her so she didn’t have to kneel on the floor.

She was half way through a command line when he took that shot. She didn’t turn and look at him but paused with her fingers poised over the keyboard.

“So you’re calling me an angel of mercy? Or just a breath of fresh air?”

Under ordinary circumstances, she’d have done better but there was still the possibility of crashing the system. She’d blame her distraction on that.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
"A Travolta imitation? In my wildest dreams I don't have enough rhythm to attempt that. And don't worry. I may talk big, but honestly I don't get out much. I haven't really been in the mood lately."

Kem regretted that immediately after saying it; he hadn't meant to ruin the banter and he hoped Pakpao would overlook it. He began to organize the papers in the box again, laughing at her reaction to his statement.

"I'm not sure. You're interested enough in an Evenhet roller derby to be out of the running for sainthood, which unfortunately includes angels, I believe. And given that as far as I know I'm not crazy yet, I have to assume that at the very least you're a breath of fresh air. It's not often I have decent company down here at this time."

That wasn't entirely true; Nic was decent company, but on a different level. Kem wasn't sure this kind of banter would have been Nic's thing. He fell silent for a bit while Pakpao typed, finishing off his sorting and then moving to stand against the other side of the desk, leaning on it while he watched her.

"Will it be ready tonight? As long as I'm ready with these files I may as well test it out for you." He raised his brows at the screen. "Unless the shorting out of the city is imminent. If that's the case, I suggest we give up on work altogether and rally the troops for the impending derby."
Pakpao 18 years ago
"Don't worry he didn't have rhythm either."Â?

She cocked her head at Kem for a second and thought about the mood thing. If anyone understood about not being in the mood, it was Pak. She also knew that she didn't like to try and explain them and so provided Kem the same courtesy and just let the subject slide. Although she did wonder for a second if it had anything to do with Aishe. Pak mentally smacked herself and went back to work. She was not a matchmaker and it wasn't her place to get involved.

"All the best saints started out as sinners so I should actually be a shoe in for this angel thing."Â?

Not minding the audience, she went to work. There were a few things to configure, then she had to link it to the original database, no point in re-entering everything, then a few test queries, and she set up a log in for Kem. Pak's fingers flew over the keyboard occasionally reaching for the mouse but she never broke focus.

Finally, she blinked and shoved her chair out of the way, inviting Kem to bring a chair over and try it out.

"As much as I wanted to see the roller skating storm troopers I think we've had a successful installation and since I'm going to have to trust you with it sooner or later you'd best try and blow it up now while I'm here."Â?

There seemed to be a lot of talk about explosions around this place. Why hadn't she noticed that before, and should she worry?

"Oh... your password is rollerderby."
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
"Saint Pakpao, huh? I'm not sure the world is ready for that one. Some might argue that MARI counts as your posthumous miracle, but I'm pretty sure your chance of dying as a martyr are shot. You've got two out of three however, so perhaps you're some kind of demi-saint."

When Pakpao moved out of the way, Kem did as she indicated, 'grabbing' a chair from the next desk over and sliding it his way, then plunking himself into it. Rolling skating vampire storm troopers could definitely wait in light of a new toy to experiment with... or blow up. Either one would be fun, although he'd hate to see Pakpao's hard work get demolished.

"So are you telling me not to push any flashing red buttons?" He said with a dry smile, then chuckled at the password as he entered it in. "How appropriate."

The program's opening screen flashed up, and within a few moments Kem was quite contentedly exploring the ins and outs of the new system. Remembering that it was a simple form of an AI, he tried searching for several artifacts and records in different parts of the archives.

"So," he gestured to the screen with his index finger, "if we're actually careful enough, this program will keep track of every minute little move these artifacts make, even within Meridian?"

That was useful. Right now it was slightly tedious, the way things had to be entered into the system, so the even if an artifact moved down a floor to be studied, it was often back in the archives or collections before the system updated to show it had ever been moved. Pakpao's program looked much faster.

"And you said it can search and provide suggestions?" The feature was worth testing, as well. Kem entered in a piece of artwork they'd requisitioned for a private collector. The program found and displayed the piece, and then came up with three more of the same genre that were likely to appeal to the man's tastes.

Kem whistled. "Once again, you impress. This looks great." He smiled appreciatively at Pakpao; anyone who made fun toys for the archives qualified as cool as far as he was concerned, even if he hadn't already reached that conclusion with the woman beside him. He could see why Artemis was attracted to her; not only was she intelligent, ut her sense of humor matched the Roman's quite well. None of his business, but he hoped they ended up happy together.
Pakpao 18 years ago
"All my miracles are posthumous what I'm missing is a cult of followers."Â? See she had an edge on sainthood already, longer to achieve it than most. But dying as a martyr, yeah that she wouldn't be able to do. Well the odds were pretty high she couldn't be able to, of course she'd get over it too.

"Please call me Pak."Â?

With Kem so enthusiastic, she made a note to add a flashy red button to the next version. There was no way this one would work -perfectly- maybe 95% but it would need some tweaking and she could add the button to the upgrade.

"Actually no, I'd love for you to push red buttons I need to know exactly what you're going to do and how its going to break, and its not like I don't have a back up."Â?

Pak smiled as Kem began navigating though the system. She'd been worried about the link to the original data base.

"It actually should get better. In this case, the log-in isn't just for security. The program should get used to the type of artifacts each user looks for; the type, culture, location, and other factors so it provides more accurate searches."Â?

Pak leaned back and crossed her legs, she was tempted to tell Kem where she was afraid the flaw was but then he might see it when it didn't really exist. On the other hand, if she didn't mention it he wouldn't know to look for it.

"What I'm afraid of is that it will get too complacent. It will find patterns for your normal use and won't look outside of those and that will limit your matches. How would you guys feel about playing with it on one machine for a month or two and letting me know?"Â?
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
"Cult of followers? Well... the roller derby army of vampires is going to need something to do after they get their raises..." Kem let his voice trail off with the suggestion so Pak could finish the thought on her own.

At her request he nodded his head and continued typing. "Pak it is, then. I'd give you a fun nickname myself, but seems to me 'Kem' is short enough. Unless you take into account that the Egyptians didn't actually use vowels as we know them, so technically you could call me Km. But I digress."

Way to go, bore the woman with pointless historical trivia. A surefire way to guarantee she would think twice before ever visiting the archives again. Wait. Did he want her to visit the archives again? Maybe. No. He couldn't have that. That might end up falling into the category of being 'sociable' and he'd worked very hard at being an antisocial loser over the past few centuries, thankyouverymuch. He was getting dangerously close to 'having a life' already, with all this being at Meridian and helping Nic and the like.

In the meantime, he'd punched in any number of combinations of searches and the new program had gone above and beyond expectations. As Pak outlined the flaw as she saw it, Kem shook his head.

"Not at all. If anything, it will encourage us down here to take advantage of the variety of artifacts that are sent here every day. We often fall into patterns and end up getting too narrowminded; one only works with prjectile points, the other only does artwork... this way we'll be forced to branch out and work with all forms of artifacts. That way we can keep everyone on their toes, search engines included. Would that work?"

The idea of test-driving the new toy was certainly an appealing one. Kem was starting to appreciate Pak as a Bearer of Fun Toys almost as much so as Artemis. He couldn't complain, especially when on occasion said toys came his way. Or the archives' way, as it were.

"I might not be here to let you know in a month or two, but I'll let you know how it goes before I leave regardless."
Pakpao 18 years ago
“If I’m their leader do I get a cape?”

Of course, now that she thought about it Pak wasn’t sure she could roller skate. She must have tried it at one point and it seemed to her that she had difficulty stopping or had fallen and hit many walls. Or was that ice skating; probably not, given her fondness for the cold she didn’t think it was ice skating.

A world without vowels?

“Km sounds like an element on the periodic table, so I think we’d best let you have that vowel. Of course if we used my initials I’d be close to lead but that’s PB not PM and… I’ll stop now.”

Kem’s ramblings didn’t bother Pak in the slightest. In fact, they were rather intriguing. She wasn’t much of a linguist though. Hell in 200 plus years she’d only learned three languages, which was pretty sad actually.

But the idea of no vowels had set her mind wandering. Damned now she was listing elements on the periodic table, and for some reason she always half sung them to the tune of “Modern Major General”.

Wresting herself away from that she nodded, satisfied that Kem didn’t think the program would be too confining.

“Good, good. Who else do you want me to set up with a log in? Not to put you on the spot, you could e-mail me later.”

Leave? She didn’t see that as permanent. Pak had often wandered off to California or Seattle, where ever the work was done or advances made. Somehow, she always seemed to come back to Nachton though.

“Leave? Indiana Jones’ing for a bit?”

It seemed like the sensible thing for an archivist to do. Was his version of field work any more interesting than hers. Pak hoped so. Meetings were highly over rated, well most of them.