Packing for a Busride

Rachyl grumbled as she tripped over the overnight bag a third time.

She hadn't thought going home to visit her mother would be such a chore. Though the excuse that the house wasn't fully ready to support two grown women who love to travel wasn't acceptible, she reminded herself of it repeatedly.

"We've barely moved in. We've barely moved in."

Every time they talked to the decorator, a sense of completeness regarding their new home solidified around Rachyl. It had started as a wishywashy "this is HOME!" feeling, but over the last few days, with delivery after delivery, approved decor plan after plan, it was beginning to truly take shape. Kind of like unset jello.

The thought made Rachyl giggle as she set the bag out in the hall. What would Meegan say to her if she were to describe her jello mold house completeness feeling? "You're so insane," she'd say, or maybe she'd just arch one of her well-defined pinkish-blonde brows and say nothing. Still giggling at her train of thought, Rachyl grabbed purse, cell, and overnight bag and waited on the foyer stairs for the taxi to arrive.

Meegan had woken before her that morning, which tended to be rare in and of itself. Her words, though, after her good morning kiss, were definately out of the ordinary.

"Rach, we need a day away from each other." Meegan was of course referring to the fact that they hadn't been more than fifty feet apart since the Gala. Almost a full month. And Rachyl knew the logic of the statement.

"Well," she had said, "I should go visit my mom." Of course, her lover looked concerned, since the entire story of Rachyl's leaving had been imparted quite some time ago, but she understood the need. "I'd take you with me, but that would obviate the whole 'day to ourselves' idea. I so wish you could meet her. Maybe - if she doesn't flip out or kill me - we could invite her down here for a few days. Maybe. We'll see." Rachyl was almost talking herself out of that. If her mother found out that Rachyl had a home with plenty of room... Especially a standalone garage with an apartment... she just might want to stay.

She must have frowned because Meegan had asked, "What was that frown for?" so Rachyl explained that she really didn't want to have to tell her mother "No Mom, you can't move in with me and my lesbian lover."

How awkward would that be? Rachyl's train of thought almost took her down the path of pondering that point when the horn sounded from outside.

Locking the door behind her - handle, and two deadbolts - she slid into the car with her bag and purse and, after buckling her seatbelt, said,
"Greyhound Bus Terminal in the city."

She could see the cabbie's eyes light up - it would be almost a twenty dollar fare - but she didn't mind. After all, she wasn't quite in the dire financial straits she had been when she arrived in town eight months ago.

The short slide down their angled drive gave Rachyl a view that continued to cause her breath to catch: the sunlight bouncing off their new home, up on a hill, with large windows and a great yard. She felt the excitement in her, and felt like bouncing, or rather she would if she were standing.

They'd been in the house only a few days, so she hadn't had much chance to explore their neighborhood. Maybe when it was a bit warmer. No, definately. One thing that had surprised her, though, was the complete lack of any neighbors coming to greet them. It could be a phenomenon isolated to New Jersey, or maybe their neighbors were waiting for warmer weather but... Rachyl had always had a neighbor greet her or her clients when they moved into a new house.

Not even any nosy neighbors peeking! It was eerie. It almost made her miss Mrs. Carmichael. Almost. But not quite.