Domestic Shopping (open)

It was easy enough to realize they'd have a lot of shopping to complete over the next few days, especially to make their house livable.

"Their house." Those two simple, simple words kept ringing through Rachyl's mind as they drove towards the stores Meegan had in mind.

She was a little surprised when Meegan pulled into a parking spot near Sears.

Rachyl kept looking at Meegan as they walked through the aisles to the Appliance area of Sears. An almost-squeaked "what?" made her snort.
"I just never imagined you shopping at Sears for appliances."

A short explanation of great warranties, prompt service, and ease of special ordering were enough to convince Rachyl.
"Besides, where else would I shop for them?" Meegan had reasoned. Rachyl had no response. They split up and looked at the different models of washers and dryers after agreeing on the simple requirement of "white."

Rachyl moseyed down the row of dryers and suddenly found herself in the refrigerators... but looked up and saw a dryer. A dryer that was much taller than she, and on top, looked like a refrigerator. With two doors that she swung open, and a side-opening front-loading door also.
"Upper drying cabinet, huh." She read the notes on the unit.

"Meegan! Meegan!" she whispered loudly. When the other joined her, she bounced on the balls of her feet and pointed at the appliance. "I found the dryer."

Ginnie 18 years ago
Meegan, was a bit surprised by Rachyl's reaction. Sure she had taste, but she also had common sense and if a place had good service and their quality was good then you shopped there. Besides, kenmore was kenmore if you bought it at Sears or some uppity 5th avenue store. She joined Rachyl by the dryer and fell in love. It would completely eliminate the need to festoon the bathroom with bras, panties, tights and pantyhose once a week. Now they just needed a washer to match.

A sales man joined them and showed them the matching washer. They quickly made the sale and arranged delivery for the next day as they had several of that model in the warehouse. They thanked him and left the store and Meegan indulged Rachyl in her idea that Meegan only shopped at high priced stores and went into a home store that sold high priced name brand stuff.

Chuckling at herself she waved off the over eager sales woman and made a b-line for sheets. They would get just a white set for tonight and pick some others to start building up their collection. They had talked about colors and had decided on deep rich colors. Meegan had picked up a 300 thread count egyptian cotton white sheet set and was browsing the other colors, when she came across a bedroom set that was ebony with gold dragons embroidered in large swirling patterns.

"Rachyl." She breathed her lover's name as she stared at the set.
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan, was a bit surprised by Rachyl's reaction. Sure she had taste, but she also had common sense and if a place had good service and their quality was good then you shopped there. Besides, kenmore was kenmore if you bought it at Sears or some uppity 5th avenue store. She joined Rachyl by the dryer and fell in love. It would completely eliminate the need to festoon the bathroom with bras, panties, tights and pantyhose once a week. Now they just needed a washer to match.

A sales man joined them and showed them the matching washer. They quickly made the sale and arranged delivery for the next day as they had several of that model in the warehouse. They thanked him and left the store and Meegan indulged Rachyl in her idea that Meegan only shopped at high priced stores and went into a home store that sold high priced name brand stuff.

Chuckling at herself she waved off the over eager sales woman and made a b-line for sheets. They would get just a white set for tonight and pick some others to start building up their collection. They had talked about colors and had decided on deep rich colors. Meegan had picked up a 300 thread count egyptian cotton white sheet set and was browsing the other colors, when she came across a bedroom set that was ebony with gold dragons embroidered in large swirling patterns.

"Rachyl." She breathed her lover's name as she stared at the set.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl too fell in love with the exquisitely crafted black quilt with embroidered dragons. "Meegan and her dragons." She decided to have a little fun with Meegan. "You know, if we'd have gotten a lighter wood set, we'd have to get something in pastels or white." Her voice dropped into a sultry approximation of a Southern Belle's accent. Raising a hand to her breast with a flourish, she cried out somewhat quietly, "Whyah I do decleah! You knoah we be needin' fresh white linens'n'things for mah verginal bed, Missus Masters, fer when mah Lady Love do take me upon her bed and make me unto a woman!"

Unable to keep a straight face, Rachyl burst out in snickers, snorts, and open laughter.
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan just looked at her. There were sometimes when she just had no idea how to react to Rachyl, this was one of them.she shook her head, and took the little card from it's slot, so that the sales person could bring them the set and they wouldn't have to lug it around.

"We need to get a few more sheet sets and I think that will do for now, we can get some more bedding sets later."

They looked around for a bit more, and settled on a set of red satin sheets, and two black cotton sets. They found suitable pillows for each of them, Meegan's three and Rachyl's one, though Meegan insisted she pick a second just in case. They finished up their purchases and one of the associates, helped get it into the back seat of the Porche. That done Meegan decided they needed a few kitchen essentials for the night and next few days, as the major appliance purchasing for the day was done and she really didn't feel like spending hours looking at fridges and stoves.

"I say we get a microwave, coffeepot, and tea kettle, then hit the grocery store before calling it a day. What do you think?"
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl didn't want to argue the point of how many pillows to get. With pillows, as with many things, quality was paramount over quantity. Nine pillows was nice and all to make a bed look big and poofy... and great for tripping on in the morning when seven fell on the floor.

Besides, at the hotel, she'd gotten into the habit of flattening one of the eight pillows on the suite's bed, then folding it in half beneath her head. Somehow, Meegan was able to keep all of hers together... But Rachyl just ended up waking with a stiff neck and sometimes a headache from too many pillows.

Though she certainly didn't mind Meegan's neck rubs...

On the subject of appliances and needed things for the next few nights, "I think we need a toaster or toaster oven and a pizza wheel. And utensils. Even if we pick up a big box of Daisy plastic forks and spoons or something at Sam's or Costco. And cups. I saw these great big huge..."

Rachyl wandered off and came back a few minutes later with two cups in her hands. Both were huge, with silver belts around the middle, and colored tops and bottoms. "I was trying to find one with froggies, I know how much you love them, but all they had was plain silver and colors."
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan tilted her head and started at the giant mug things.

"Please tell me you're kidding."

They had left the linens store and moved down the Strip to a place called Bed Bath and Beyond. Meegan had never actually gone in to one, but Rachyl said they would have everything they needed. All of Meegan's previous kitchen doo dads had come from William Sonoma or specialty gourmet shops. She'd not ever shopped for appliances before, all of her things in the condo had been picked from a catalogue and ordered by the decorator.

She chuckled as Rachyl shrugged, and held out the cups to her. She wasn't going to take them, since that would mean she wanted them.
"Sweety, I don't think even froggies would make me want one of those. Ok come on, let's be serious and get this stuff done. Now if we find a nice ceramic mug with froggies, then we'll get that."

Meegan grinned at Rachyl, softening her rebuke, and sent the shopping basket at her. Meegan felt weird using a shopping basket outside of the grocery store, but when in Rome... They found a small black microwave, a small black four cup coffee maker, an electric kettle, and a toaster oven all over in one little section of the store.

The moved sections and found the utensils, and coffee cups they wanted. Meegan fell in love with a four place setting set, that was cream colored with hand painted frogs around the edges. They were fun and would make her smile as she ate her toast of off them, so she put them in the cart. When they were ready to stock the kitchen most of the stuff they were purchasing today would be put in a box and given to good will, so Meegan wasn't fussed about too many of their choices. It took them almost an hour to finish their shopping and head to the check out. Meegan just kind of boggled at it all.

It was like a grocery store check out for spoons. She had to give Rachyl her credit card and leave. It didn't help that the entire time they had been in the store, they'd not been approached by a sales person, or even looked at by one. Meegan wondered if everyone that shopped in these places, expected that kind of treatment from a store and it appalled her. It also occurred to her how much a spoiled snob she was. Meegan shrugged, if it meant have people talk to her and answer questions about her purchases, then she's be a spoiled snob.
Rachyl 18 years ago
"No, not kidding, I like em!" Rachyl wiggled the two huge mugs in her hands, but Meegan kept shaking her head. She'd have to come back and buy them.

Pouting playfully all through the rest of the store, they shopped and shopped, filling the cart.

As Meegan put the frog-endowed settings in the cart, Rachyl quipped,
"Shame they don't have any with dragons."

She was surprised when the credit card was handed to her, and even more surprised when Meegan walked out the door. It came to her immediately that no one had ever approached them while in the store, even though they'd passed no less than four different people.

When the tally came up - over seven hundred dollars - she said to the register girl,
"Before I pay for this, I want to talk to your manager. It's nothing you did wrong, I just have something to say to him or her."

She waited patiently until the rotund, but well-kept man arrived at the cashier's side. "Sir, I just wanted to let you know the customer service in your store is appallingly horrible. My partner and I have been in your store for over an hour, filling a cart with item after item, and at no point did anyone make an effort to see if there were any questions we had that needed to be answered. No one offered assistance. The only person we saw who was available to help us was..." She glanced at the cashier's nametag. "Sally here. Every other Bed Bath and Beyond I've ever been to has had a greeter, and wandering people available to assist. Not one of your employees paid us so much as a glance, and I find that deplorable. We will make our purchases, but will not be returning to your store. And as you can see, losing customers who make several hundred dollar purchases will only hurt your business. Good day sir."

With that, she handed the card over to the cashier, signed the slip, and pushed the cart out to the sidewalk to join Meegan. "Where next?"
Meegan 18 years ago
She smiled at Rachyl. She had stood in the cold falling snow and thought about her life a little. She like the way she lived and had decided that it might not be for Rachyl, but they could still co-exist splendidly.

"Where next?"

"The car." Meegan chuckled and then eyed the cart. She didn't want to have to walk it back the three blocks so..."Um let me go get the car."

Rachyl nodded her agreement and started to sort through their purchases, Meegan assumed to see how to fit them in the trunk. She walked the three blocks to the car in an almost jog. She pulled up to the curb in front of Rachyl and got out, leaving the car running to warm up in inside.

"Um, I guess we'll fit what we can in the trunk and then stick the rest in the back seat."

They struggled the boxes into the trunk then tucked the bags around them. It all fit, and there was room for a few bags of groceries.

"Oh good we can hit the grocery store before going home. I was kind of not wanting to get out again once we got there." Home...their home. It was an idea that meegan hoped never lost it's sense of wow.
Rachyl 18 years ago
"Yeah, I agree, it's entirely too cold out for January."

They had only gone partway to the grocery store when Rachyl commented, "I admit, it's a little odd, and extremely spine-tinglingly amazing, that we actually bought a house together. You and me. It's daunting, and awesome at the same time." At a stoplight, Rachyl's hands reached out to take Meegan's free hand, then carefully drew it to her mouth. Brushing her lips gently against the chilled knuckles, she said, "I'm very glad to be with you."

Her green eyes watered slightly, though they exuded warmth, tenderness, passion and affection, as she gazed at Meegan.
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan glanced at Rachyl, her grip on the wheel tightening. She didn't trust herself to speak, because if she did she would start crying. Rachyl had given her so much and she was not sure she could express that with out tears, and she needed to drive.

Soon she pulled into the little grocery that was down at the end of their new neighbor hood. She turned and leaned over the center console until her lips pressed to Rachyl's She had no other way to express what she felt, and she knew that Rachyl would understand. She held the kiss until the gearshift in her side began to hurt. She pulled back from her lover and smiled while she wiped the tears form her cheeks.

"Thank you." She whispered.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Meegan's tears honestly surprised Rachyl. She hadn't meant to be overly mushy... just honest.

Honesty is a good policy.

"Meegan, I have something I need to tell you, something I don't think I've voiced in like forever, and you really need to know."

Meegan's inquisitive look was still overshadowed by her tears and the affection flowing with them. Rachyl gently dabbed at those warm cheeks, careful not to smudge makeup. When the tears stopped, she cleared her throat. The voice she spoke with was squeaky and childish.

"I like yew!" And she quickly pressed her lips to Meegan's, then opened her door and hopped out.

She skipped a few paces away, squeaking in the same voice,
"And we're gonna buy peanut butter and jelly and jello and pudding oh oh oh and I want soup and sammiches but we need to make our own sammiches so we'll need yots and yots of deli meat and bread or rolls and mayo and mustard, tomatos and chips and salsa, oh and whip cream and apple pie and ..."

She realized Meegan wasn't following her so skipped back to the car, but saw her lover had gotten out and was standing there, staring at her in the parking lot. "What?"
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan shook her head, and gestured toward the door. "Nothing, let's go get some peanut butter and jelly."

She chuckled softly and hooked her arm with Rachyl's. Maybe one day she'd understand why she did that. It was funny some of the time, and some of the time it just baffled Meegan. She'd never, ever, been around someone as...spontaneous, and light hearted as Rachyl. It made her love the red-head just that much more.

She pulled open the door for both of them and gave Rachyl a nudge with her hip.

"You're insane, you know that?"
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl got up on her tippytoes and whispered loudly to Meegan. "Shhhhh!~ Don't say it so loud, they'll hear you! I like my yellow jacket and don't want a white one with long sleeves!" She cast her eyes about furtively, then planted a kiss on Meegan's chin before heading through the door.

"I think we need a cart." Rachyl grabbed one of the ugly green plastic carts the store offered, and tossed her purse into the baby seat.

"Maybe some day we'll fill that with something more active than a purse."

She blinked as that thought flitted through her head and out, then looked at Meegan.
"We need orange juice, tomato juice, aw why even bother listing, let's just travel up one aisle and down the next getting what we need." Remembering what they'd shipped from the Piazza then sorted into the bathroom, Rachyl commented, "I need feminine products, too, I left them at the Piazza. But let's just get small quantities of things, at least til we can buy in bulk. Speaking of bulk, are we going to get one of those meat and veggie shipping club memberships? Or just go to a butcher or something? Oh and we definately need a decent gas grill for parties..."

Snorting to herself, she pushed the cart in through the second set of doors. "How about we work on a section of the house at a time?"
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan put her purse next to Rachyl's and started making a mental list in her head. They just needed stuff for a couple of days, since they didn't have a fridge yet. And everything they purchased had to be non-perishable.

They traveled up and down the aisles getting the things they needed; plastic cups, plates and utensils, dish soap, and things they wanted; bread, a couple of milk pints, cookies, coffee, tea, some cereal, splenda, a salad for dinner and two warm slices of quiche from the little deli in the back. They picked up a tiny tub of butter for breakfast in the morning and on the miscellaneous aisle they found a large cooler that plugged in and kept things cool with out ice. So they could keep the milk and butter refrigerated until they got a fridge.

Happy about that, Meegan went back and got some cheeses and crackers, and some real cream for her coffee, placing the powdered stuff back on the shelf.

Finished with their shopping they paid at the little counter and stuffed everything in the trunk, except the cooler it went in back onto of the sheets. Meegan drove home, one hand laced with Rachyl's, and they managed to get everything in the house on their own.

Rachyl went to wash out the kettle and plug it in so that they could have some hot tea with their dinner, while Meegan pulled the sheets out of their packaging and draped them in the bathroom and turned on the shower. The steam would take out some of the stiffness and plastic smell. She left it to run while she and Rachyl wrestled the microwave out of its box and gently onto a counter top. They unpacked the rest of the bags and Meegan went to turn off the shower, leaving the sheets to dry.

While up stairs Meegan grabbed a couple of the pillows and took them down with her. They tucked them in the window seat of the bay window and had a little picnic with their salad, quiche and tea. Meegan had had a long and wonderful day and was ready to climb into bed.

They trooped upstairs, made the bed, changed into pajamas and did just that.

((Meegan and Rachyl out. Lock up))