Adventures in Babysitting 1, part 2 (open)

So far, so good. Alec had parked behind the glass artist's studio and gone on foot from there, not bothering to blend. There were still enough people around that the chances of discovery were almost non-existent. For the moment, he was merely trying to puzzle out what the three girls were doing. They would converse, walk thirty feet or so, stop, converse...and so on. It made absolutely no sense.

After about twenty minutes of this, Alec realized that they were window shopping very, very slowly and felt like an idiot. Walking past, he was careful not to make eye contact with any of them and angled his face away from Holly in particular. It would be bad if his face started popping up in random areas of her memory. She'd get wise.

Moving over to elekTRONicka's entrance, he loitered. His face in this crowd would be run of the mill, and he was certainly becoming a regular. A couple of the resident teens even nodded hello to "the Grampaw" as they walked in. They didn't call him it within normal hearing distance, and they said it in strange tones, so he let it be. He didn't get it, but maybe he would sometime, and he'd reserve judgement until then. For now it was just another reference that he was missing...some gap in his pop culture knowledge.

Bribing one of the other regulars to get him a "real vanilla coke," Alec waited and watched the crowd. One of the best ways in the world to unwind.

Nova 18 years ago
Nova carefully lifted one foot to the next small indentation in the wall, using the leverage to push herself up to a higher hand hold. She’d picked on of the harder climbs, something that relied on more than brute strength, as she had enough of that to muscle through a climb that didn’t require any foresight.

And lord, if she wasn’t climbing the walls. Might as well be doing it literally, too.

She’d initially thought to engage in some mindless exertion, just to blow off some steam, but then thought of the rock wall and figured it would be nice to do something that involved thought and planning. If she was thinking about where to put her hands and feet next, after all, she wouldn’t be thinking about…other things.

Sometimes her brain just got full, was all, and having all the other things to deal with on top of work was making her feel a little cluttered. Besides, the current test she was running would take five hours, and she hated just waiting around for the next step even if there was always some sort of busy work to do.

She reached the top all too soon and leaned back, rapelling down again in a fluid motion, kicking off the wall with enough force to send her into space for a few seconds before landing squarely on the mat below.

She considered having another go at the wall, but decided it was probably time to head back and started pulling off the gear. She snorted when she tripped over her own feet as she headed out, guessing that the climb had done precious little for her grace on the ground. Opening the door to walk outside, she looked over to her car and reached for the alarm button before realizing it was still with Simon. Distracted for a moment, she nearly collided with…

“Alec? Hey, what’s up?”
Alec Devereaux 18 years ago
Extending his senses out through the crowd, he tried a new trick. He focused on fluid sounds rather than metallic sounds...acting somewhat as a level damper within his head. Needless to say, it failed horribly, but it was an interesting idea. Perhaps in a more controlled environment he'd have better success. Either way, it was good to practice the focusing and dilating of his hearing - it would reduce the chances of another disaster regarding the skill in the future, and the Strip WAS a good place to practice quick modulation and tuning. That was going pretty well, so the waiting for the gaggle to make their way to something a bit more interesting wasn't a complete wash.

A moment later, he recognized a step pattern, but not the sound of the steps. The brief confusion was replaced by a familiar voice.

“Alec? Hey, what’s up?”

Turning toward her voice, Alec smirked.

Ah, working girl's out of the lab and back to her roots. Good that you're taking some time unplugged. I needed some too...things are a bit heavy lately, so returning to unfinished projects and doing some...uh...social research? I guess that's the easiest way of putting it. So how'd your wall go?

Smiling, he took a sip of the coke, turning himself to keep both his targets and Nova in his field of vision. Dissociative focus wasn't a trick he'd tried with vision...no time like the present to see how much he could push his perception.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova shrugged and leaned against the wall, looking out at the street for a moment.

“Yeah, I hear you. Things feel pretty nuts right now, had to get out for a bit.”

She raised her eyebrows at the ‘social research’ remark, wondering what in the hell that was.

“Sounds very…scientific.” She peered at a few figures walking along on the opposite side of the street. “I’d be careful. Lot of weirdos out there. Guess that’s kind of rich coming from me though.” She flashed Alec a grin, returning her regard to the Tacharan. “Oh, it was a good climb. I think we need one of those in the domicile or something. The Abi has high enough ceilings, that could work.”

She turned to look at the street again, then turned back to Alec. “But hey, I’m not interrupting anything am I? I don’t want to disturb your…’social research.’
Chuckling, Alec shook his head.

Nope, not really. Since I can't remember anything...you know, from before...I watch them to see what I might have been missing out on. For the most part it seems to be some seriously boring shit, but given my particular skill set, I am fairly confident that my life was a lot more interesting.

Taking a sip, Alec realized he'd just offhandedly told Nova one of his strangest features and a large weakness. Apparently he was pretty relaxed around her, but it was also strangely unnerving. He couldn't conceive of a way to use it against him, but it was still odd to hand out something like that casually and in public. Shrugging, he plowed ahead. No reason to stop now.

Oh, heh. I probably hadn't mentioned that and you might not have read about it. My memory starts after the beginning of my...skin condition. 'People watching' is how I learned that I don't blink enough, personal space rules, looking at people when talking and that sniffing isn't a typical form of greeting for most humans. I'm still working on conversational rules, when it is appropriate to strip someone in public and things like when it is okay to tell someone that they are stinky as hell from climbing a wall, to choose a random example, but I figure enough time out and about and I'll figure it all out. I'm not doing so bad for the equivalent of a kindergartner...but it explains my infantile humor.

Taking a quick sip, Alec watched for the expected slap, but she'd been a bit off since she'd met Kyle. Maybe she'd miss her cue.

((ooc: Permission to mildly abuse Alec))
Nova 18 years ago
Nova tucked an errant strand of hair behind her ear as she listened to Alec’s more in depth explanation, crinkling her forehead.

“Whoa. So you have no clue about your life…before? You gotta have some idea though, just from public records, people who knew you, that sort of thing? Man, that’s rough…here I thought my penchant for sleeping like the dead was a raw deal.”

It would seem, as Alec went on, that for whatever reason there wasn’t much in the way of a data recovery. It also sounded like he hadn’t had a whole lot of help, at least at first, and she wondered who had turned him and then apparently left him to his own devices. It was, she thought, a good thing Alec was a pretty sharp guy; she wasn’t sure many people would have lasted all that long in his place.

Sharp or not, though, she could hardly be expected to let his little stinky comment go. She snorted at the pot shot and lifted one arm, sniffing.

“Damn, I –do- stink.”

She said this with a great deal of pride, as though she were showing off her Nobel or an especially impressive scar. Still chuckling, she swiped her underarm with her free hand, then rubbed the mix of perspiration and deodorant remnants onto Alec’s shirt.

“There ya go.”

She looked out at the street once more, wondering how it might look to someone who didn’t ‘get’ people. Then again, she figured she was no expert at that sort of thing anyway.

“Seriously though…don’t be in too much of a hurry to be like everyone else. I kinda dig your ‘infantile humor.’”

/ooc I cannot –believe- she just did that. *hides* Permission to exact proportional revenge.
Alec shrugged. He'd found out a couple of useful things, but not much. He'd left little paper trail.

I know I went to Tulane. I know my birthday, was a generally healthy kid, came from a broken home and that both of my parents are dead and that I had a sister who went missing while I was a teen. I know I never had a permanent address, paid bills or left a criminal record. I met a couple of folks from when I was alive, but one of them seemed to just complicate things and the other seemed to feel I was better off with a clean start. So I went with the clean start.

Looking at Nova wipe her underarm perspiration on his shirt, Alec laughed and took on a reverential expression.

I'll never wash this shirt again. I swear, I'll cherish it...until I incinerate it.

Wrinkling his nose, he quipped Great. Now Ginnie'll think I was attacked by a skunk and kick me out until I shower.

Confused for a moment, Alec cocked his head before grinning evilly from ear to ear.

Wait...did you just COMPLIMENT me? Damn...Kyle must really have your head spinning.

Wincing, Alec prepared himself. He was SO gonna get his ass kicked...unless she waxed philosophical about it, which could be even more dangerous. At least he had a couple of quick exits in case they were necessary.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova nodded her head, understanding the need for a clean slate, though sometimes the past proved useful to know and she hoped his own lack of knowledge didn’t end up biting him in the ass.

That clean slate deal was a lot tougher than most people realized; your past just didn’t let go of you that easy.

She chuckled at his dramatics regarding the shirt; it wasn’t –that- bad, after all.

Then Alec had to go and bring Kyle into it. Not only that, but he had acted all shocked that she had said something nice; for a moment she didn’t know what got her goat more. She sputtered for a moment in a deeply indignant fashion before finally forming a semi coherent statement.

“Well..fucking…fine then! Fine, I take it back, Jesus fucking Christ, you’d think I never said anything sort of nice before!”

She crossed her arms over her chest and continued in a sulky voice. “’Say nice things all the time.” Then her temper flared up again and she let one arm fly out, delivering a backhanded smack to Alec’s shoulder. “I’m a very –nice- person. Dammit, now I’m pissed.” She crossed her arms over her chest, tapping her foot. “And yeah, Evans has my head spinning, just not the way you think.” Her face went serious. “They did some…pretty messed up stuff to him in that compound. We’re still trying to understand the strain of eternity they used and…it’s a real mess.”

She snorted and shook her head. “Still can’t believe you gave an alcoholic a bottle of JD.” She looked over and shrugged. “S’okay, you didn’t know, just…kind of funny in a very –wrong- sort of way.”

Reaching out, she gave Alec a light shove, teasing. She had already nearly forgotten her earlier annoyance, which was only mild in the scheme of things.
Caught off guard by the route that she took to get back to normal, Alec realized that he still didn't have as firm a grasp on Nova as he should for such prodding. Looking over his shoulder, he pointed down.

Oh...that was one of those lines right back there, wasn't it...sorry.

Taking a step back over an invisible line, he frowned at her statement that something was different about Hillman's eternity.

So...I don't really know much about either of those things...what happened to him, why he was there, or E in general. Does different blood react in different ways to siphoning and recombination or something?

Chuckling at his blunder, Alec rubbed his hand through his hair, blushing a bit.

Uh...yeah. That was pretty damn bad, wasn't it? And I thought the calc would have been the thing to draw the groans. Ah well.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova snorted and waved a dismissive hand, not particularly concerned about people pushing her buttons.

“Meh, don’t worry about it.”

She leaned against the wall and tried to think of the best way to explain all the problems that came with Eternity.

“Actually our blood behaves more consistently in the human body than one might think; that’s how it’s –supposed- to work, though. Part of the survival of our kind depends on our blood being able to adapt to a new host very quickly. That said, there are variations, mostly depending on the age of the blood. And then Eternity is something else altogether; it’s a category, a spectrum for a drug that contains our blood as an active ingredient. So there’s all these variables in just dealing with the blood itself, but then the doses are sometimes cut with all kinds of crap and it can make for a messy situation. Uppers for people using it to get high, downers for people using it to get better, all kinds of crap.”

She waved her finger. “This is why you don’t mess around with illegal drugs, by the way.”
Nodding at Nova's analysis, he snickered at the after school special ending.

Well, they never had much of an appeal to me. I hear most people get to that in college, and since I'm essentially a toddler still, I probably won't understand the draw for quite awhile yet. And I can't recall if I did already, so I'll likely make the same mistakes again.

I'm sure you'll figure it out...but it looks like I am falling a bit behind my chosen sheep. Care to wander a bit, or are you jonesing to get your stink off and get back to work?

Smiling, Alec watched as his targets turned down a side street. Nova'd given him good cover. Maybe she would continue to do so...maybe she wanted to get cleaned up and back to the lab. "At least she's remembering to get out and about. That's all that folk can hope for. After all, forever is a long, long shift. Gotta take SOME time off."
Nova 18 years ago
Nova snorted at the idea that Alec was ‘just a toddler’, thinking that he was actually pretty quick on the uptake, considering.

“There are so many things that just have to be learned the hard way.” She laughed, somewhat ruefully. “And some things that, no matter how long you live, you never seem to learn. No disrespect to the old folks or anything, but I’ve met some people who’ve been around for a –long- time and still don’t get it.”

She shrugged at Alec’s invitation, wondering if he was just out hunting. She didn’t much care about being a little grubby at the moment; she rather liked being a little on the gritty side, in fact.

“Yeah, I got some time before I get back to the lab. Lead the way then!”
Smiling, Alec strode forward into the pedestrian traffic. Maybe Nova would learn a thing or two tonight as well. Sure she was a vamp too, but maybe she didn't take the chase portion the same way he did. With the crowd, it would be pretty easy at first.

Ok...the anatomy of trailing. There's a lot of folk about, so that makes things easier if you know how to use the crowd. Find a person or group of people moving the right way and the right speed...they become your cover. If someone looks back, they recall a group conversing and heading in not exactly the same direction. If it were a bit more vacant, we'd alter tactic, but that trio up there is heading where we want to be going anyway, so...no one notes a coed group with five people as any different than a threesome. The three folk won't remark on us unless we tag along them for a long time - they're wrapped up in what they are doing. So...at this corner, we spot a new group, tail that pair there...and the transition wasn't noted by the trio that is actually our target. Of course, other folk have noted us, but since we're not worried about them, we smile and continue on.

Giving a scowling old couple a little wave, Alec continued on.

There isn't too much to it. I imagine most folks pick up things like this hunting...later on it'll get more involved, but you've got the right clothes on for it. You know...in case there is no cover and we have to go building to building or something a little more interesting.

Winking, Alec figured Nova would be an excellent free climber, especially if she went to practice. All of their kind were naturally strong and agile, which helped, but proper training always was a plus. The real trick would be how quiet she would be at the later stages. It was working out to be a more interesting evening than he'd thought.

The real question was...why were three teenage girls leaving the strip and heading toward the industrial district on foot?
Nova 18 years ago
Nova walked at Alec’s side, taking in his explanation of their activities this evening. Alec was actually a pretty good speaker when he was relaxed and he seemed to be in his element now. She wondered if maybe he had taught at some point.

Oddly enough, considering her scientific mind, Nova tended to hunt by ‘feel.’ If the situation seemed iffy she paid attention to see why, and if things felt right she went ahead. It was, therefore, interesting to hear how Alec broke it all down.

“Man, you really think all this stuff out.”

She was smiling while she spoke and looking around at the shops and whatnot, still getting a feel for their surroundings in spite of the meticulous methodology.

She didn’t look directly at the blue and white at the stoplight.

“Hmm, bacon at ten o’clock.”

She nearly snorted at her own attempt at subterfuge but managed to stifle it. Cops didn’t necessarily mean there was a problem…hell, in fact they were sometimes quite the opposite, but it was probably a good idea to know where they were.

Then they turned the corner, going off the strip. The light turned green and the car continued straight.
Realizing that he really did think it all out, Alec nodded.

Heh. I guess I do, don't I? It is a little different inside my head though - I just see the patterns and fill the Alec shaped shadows cast by the patterns. Discussing it is good for me though - it lets me know how much I know, how much is just natural and how much needs improvement.

Continuing along, he snickered at Nova's cop comment.

Bacon tastes good...pork chops taste good. That can be a fun hunt, but we don't cover that until the graduate level stealth courses since it ups the ante quite a bit.

Winking, Alec continued on. There would be enough folks to shadow for a couple more blocks...but then it would go to architecture. He wondered where they would end up.

Well, we'll have people to shadow us for a little ways yet, then we'll have to rely a bit more on architecture and geography. I wonder why they're heading to the industrials though? Seems an odd place for folk to hang out.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova chuckled at Alec’s response to the ‘pig’ concerns.

“I like to know where they are is all.”

She pulled a little face at the mention of geography, thinking of her slight mental block in that particular area.

“Heh…guess I should tell you now that geography has never exactly been a strong point of mine…”

That was an understatement, but it was the most she would be willing to admit to. She shrugged at Alec’s comment regarding the apparent destination of the young women. “Hell, plenty of reasons. They want to vandalize. They want to drink and smoke weed and have unprotected sex in abandoned warehouses. Teenagers are incredibly stupid, after all.”

In any case, Alec was right; the crowd was beginning to thin as they made their way from the brightly lit strip to the darker streets leading to the industrial district.

This, Nova decided, should be interesting.
Frowning at Nova's response, Alec pondered aloud.

Huh. Is it just a lack of socialization that causes the limited stupidity...social pressures...or growth hormones...probably innate rebellion.

Kind of funny. One of those girls is smart enough to puppet string her whole family, and then she wanders into the area of the city with the highest crime rate to hang out. Well, off we go...we'll drop back a bit more. Since the streets'll be a bit more empty, distance is a greater friend than enemy. This is where triangulation comes in. And if worse comes to worse, well, technology is a powerful ally.

Smiling, Alec flashed the GPS screen at Nova. He figured it would become painfully obvious where they were headed, but it never hurt to have that ace up your sleeve.

((ooc: Alec and Nova out [with permission] Continued in Adventures in Babysitting 1, part 3 - lock up!))