Lamps, Towels, and Beds, oh my...

((Anyone's welcome to join, just send me a PM first, please.))

Wren came slowly awakes, the hush around her made her wonder if she was really awake or not. She rubbed her eyes, and opened them into a dusk lit room. The heavy curtains blocked out light, not even a chink or two came in, and Wren wondered what time it was. She looked around and remembered just exactly where she was and how she came to be on this amazingly comfortable couch.

She closed her eyes, and shook her head. There was something wrong with her. 'I have a brain tumor or something. Next thing you know, I'll be moving stuff with my mind and seeing lights in the sky.' She sighed and threw her arm over her eyes, and her watched smacked her in the temple. Which reminded her that she needed to know the time, so she moved her hand out and squinted at the clock face. 1:55.

"Shit."

She whispered into the unnatural hush. She pushed up off the couch and ran a hand through her hair, grimacing at the knots and sticky sweat feeling. It would just have to be brushed out and pulled up, because she just didn't have time for much more. Running her tongue over her teeth and trying to wet her very dry mouth, she looked around the room, trying to locate her luggage. She spotted the lit doorway and headed there. She found both cases set against a wall.

She wasn't sure which was which so she pushed and pulled both of them on to their sides and opened them. She found her toiletries case, and pulled out a pair of low rise blue jeans, and a red cable knit sweater, black wool socks, and bra and panties. She went to the bathroom and five minutes later was relieved, changed, hair pulled back, and teeth brushed. She gathered all of her things and dumped them unceremoniously into one of the open cases.

She went into the kitchen, and rummaged in drawers until she found a pad of paper and a pencil. She wrote Drev a brief note, so he wouldn't freak out,

Went to Brighton. Be back later. Cell number is 555-6543.
~Wren

and grabbed her evening bag, dumped it into her regular purse, 'Ill sort it on the bus,' and headed out the door.

She grabbed a bus at the corner, and the driver gave her instructions to get to the main station. She made it there with just enough time to hop on to the bus to Brighton.

Breathing heavily, Wren looked at her watch 2:25. Well, there wasn't much for it, the thirty minute drive couldn't be sped up. She settled back into her seat and took the time to put her purse back in order.

When the bus pulled into Brighton, she tore from her seat and hit the pavement running. She pulled open the door just as the attendant was about to put her key in the lock.

"Please? I just need to check my box." The round faced woman smiled up at Wren and gestured her inside.
"Oh, you're the girl that just opened a box. You got a package today. To big for your box."

"Wow, thanks."

"You go check your box, got stuff in there too, I'll go get your box out from the back, we should be done, 'bout the same time."

Wren smiled her thanks and went to the little gold box that held her number. She pulled several adverts, and one large and one card sized envelope from it, from her lawyer and mom respectively. Her mom had over-nighted a card. How weird. She tossed the junk mail into the trash and went over to the counter. The box was also from her mother, as well. She thanked the lady, and went back out to wait for the bus. She was intensely curious about what was in the box, but it would have to wait for the bus ride. She set the envelope from her lawyer on the box and opened the card from her mom.

Wren,

I know it's weird to over night a card, but I didn't want to send this in the box in case it got delayed. I went to your apartment and cleared it out because the school called right after you did saying there was some stuff left behind. So that's what's in the box, along with some extra stuff I wanted to send. Also your light brown teddy bear has a secret compartment in the back of his neck. Just cut a few of the threads and reach inside.

You need to keep that, it belongs to you. I've been adding to it your whole life. I was hoping to give it to you on your wedding day, but this is more important. You be careful and call me when you can. We love you lots and miss you.

Love,
Mom.

Wren was so confused by the stuff from her apartment thing, she hadn't left anything, that she could remember. She re-read the letter over and over until, fifteen minutes later the bus to Nachton pulled up and the same friendly driver greeted her. She smiled and took a seat in the aisle, and put her box in the window seat. She tucked the envelopes behind it and pilled out her keychain. It held the key to her mom's place, one for the club and her new mail box key. She took the club key and cut through the tape.

She pulled the wads of newspaper out and tucked them down with the envelopes and picked up the brown teddy bear. She looked at the back and noticed that there were fresh stitches on his neck. Shaking her head, she put him in her lap. She would wait until she got home to see what was in there. She looked into the box and found a tin of cookies, a towel, and a photo album. The towel was her's she must have missed it, but the album wasn't. She took a chocolate chip cookie from the tin, and exchanged the bear for the album.

She pulled it onto her lap and started to flip through it. Page after page was of her. Her mother must have thought she was a vain little dip. Her at home, at work, at class, running, swimming. They were were just from the last year, and Wren's gut sank. They were from him. He's left them in her apartment, and her mother had sent it along, not knowing any better.

She sat staring at a picture of her crouched down to give a little girl a flower, when her phone vibrated in her pocket. She pulled it out and looked at the caller ID, it was Drev.

"Hello?" Her voice shook and she bit her lip to keep her lip from following suit.

Milazo 18 years ago
“Hey, it’s Drev…” he said quickly – you never knew who had caller ID and who didn’t. “Just wanted to see how you were doing. I’m good to go whenever you get back, so just give me a call or whatever. My number is 555-3738.”

Then after a short pause in which he realized her voice had been just a little shaky, “Hey, are you alright?”
Wren 18 years ago
Wren dug a pen from her purse and wrote the number on the box flap. She was just beginning to hope that he hadn't noticed her voice when he asked if she was alright.

"Yes, no, I guess I am. I just got this weird package from my mom and it shook me up a bit. I think I'm ok though."

She put the album back in the box tucked the news paper back inside and closed the flaps. She would think about it all later.

"Um look I want to go to the local bank when I get back." She looked down at her watch, 3:35, it would take her at least an hour at the bank once she got there, so.. "Do you want to meet me at about 5:30? That will give me extra time and you enough time to do anything you might need to."

She closed her eyes, a headache was beginning to form from the sudden rush and drop of adrenaline.
Milazo 18 years ago
Drev decided to let the sensitive issue drop. She'd bring it up if and when she was ready.

"Alright, how about I just pick you up at the bank at 5:30? We can grab a bite to eat, then pick up some furniture?"
Wren 18 years ago
"Yeah, that sounds good."

She would talk to him about the album and she wanted to call Shay and see what she thought about it, and she wanted to call the detective, he needed to know too. Right now though she just wanted to eat her cookie and not think. All too soon the bus was pulling into Nachton station. She tucked the envelopes in the box and left the bus. She asked the girl at the information desk where the closest Nachton specific bank branch was. She was pointed to Nachton Bank and Trust three blocks over.

Wren walked there and signed into the little pad that put you in line for an accounts manager. While she waited she opened the envelope from her lawyer and went through what was inside. He was smart not to send her cash and had instead sent cashiers checks from a bank other than her own, probably his. Which meant he's withdrawn her accounts and taken the cash to his bank. Score a point for him. the stock cash outs were the same, but from the banks of the stock holders. She would probably get a hard time for all of it, but didn't care. It would work out.

Finally her name was called and she went into the office of a tall man with a gray suit and pink tie. She spent a moment telling him her situation and he asked if she would mind waiting he wanted to talk to the branch manager. Wren and her things were transferred to the cushy office of the manager and at 5:25 she walked out of the bank with a safe deposit box key, a temporary checks book, and an activated Visa checkcard.
Wren 18 years ago
A few moments later a dark blue BMW pulled up in front of her and a tinted window rolled down. She ducked down and saw Drev leaning over. She waved at him with her free hand and climbed into the passenger seat, rest the box on her lap. She sat back, resting her head against the seat with a sigh.

"So I've had a great day. How about you? Really that's great."

she gave Drev a half smile and stuck her hand in the box and pulled out the teddy bear. She was way to anxious about its contents to wait until she got home.

"Um could you park somewhere? I want to see what's in here and then I need to show you something, before it causes me to fall off my rocker."

"Ok." He moved the car back into traffic and pulled into a parking garage. She watched him take the ticket stub, then her was moving forward again. They drove in a big circle and he found a spot near the back on the second level.

He reached down and turned on the interior lights and sat looking at her, waiting. She sighed again, reached back into her box and handed him the black album.

"Just look and tell me what you think."

She couldn't watch him, so she turned to her bear. With her keys she broke the new stitches and reached her fingers inside. She hit a small solid bundle and pulled it out, slowly fretting about it. When a cylinder of green peeked over the stuffing she quickly pulled it out.

"Holy crap." She touched the edges of the bills. There had to be thousands of dollars in that tight fist sized roll.
Milazo 18 years ago
Drev took the album with a slightly puzzled look on his face. He openedthe cover and glanced at the first page of pictures. They appeared to be
normal pictures. All of them were of Wren, but perhaps this was her mother's album? As he flipped through the pages, though, he began to get an uneasy feeling about the photos.

"Who's album is this?" he asked, though he wasn't sure he wanted to hear the answer. He began to look more closely at the pictures, the composition, Wren's positions, what she's doing in them, and the knot in his stomach began to grow into anger. These weren't normal, everyday pictures. These weren't pictures you just snapped of your friends.
Wren 18 years ago
She put the wad of hundreds into her purse and shoved the bear into the box. She turned her head and as much of her upper body as she could towards Drev.

"I don't know. My mom said it was left in my apartment. It's not mine and I have a sick feeling I know who put it there. Well I don't know-know, but I know."

Yeah, that made perfect sense. She sighed again and opened the album to a picture of her on a water fountain with a large text book on her lap.

"I was alone in the park for hours. I saw one woman walking her dog in the three hours I was there that day. That never happens, so I remember it, I got a lot of studying done that day." She ran a hand over her hair and down over her pony tail to it's end, letting it fall back into place. She swallowed to wet her suddenly dry throat.

"He knows I ran, this is him telling me he can find me anywhere. I know it is."
Milazo 18 years ago
Drev closed the photo album and turned a bit to look more squarely at Wren. She could probably see the anger burning in his ice-blue eyes, but he didn't care.

"Has this person done anything more than take pictures of you?" He tried to keep his voice soft and comforting, but he couldn't help the tiny note of venom from sneaking in.
Wren 18 years ago
"Just what I told you last night. The calls and pictures. I came here so that I wouldn't have to freak out every time the phone rang or there was mail on my floor. I wanted to leave him behind. I want some part of my life to be normal, Drev. You know like other people have. Get up, go to work, eat, sleep, dream. I hate being afraid. I've been afraid my whole fucking life and I'm tired of it."

She put the box down on the floor and pulled out the cookie tin. Pulling her feet up until her heels hit her butt, she set the tin on her knees and pryed it open. She pulled out a snickerdoodle and offered the tin to Drev.

"Maybe just maybe this will be the last thing he ever sends me, and maybe just maybe I can have normal." She bit into her cookie as silver tears started down her pale cheeks.

"You know I just want to, God, I don't know. To live, make mistakes, earn my living with out the thought of every cent is one step closer to getting away. I want to know what it's like to walk down the fucking street and not look over my shoulder. And do you know what else I want.

I want sex that doesn't scare me or break my heart or leave me in the hospital with broken ribs and a fractured face. I want revenge and I want to be a real live human. I want to laugh and smile and not go to bed at night shaking with fear or passed out drunk or on a sleeping pill because the terror just won't go away."

She took another bit of her cookie and sobbed around it. Sniffling she swallowed.

"And I want to go buy a bed and sheets and all kids of things that I can put into a house that I feel safe in. Safe! Oh my God Drev, I feel safe with you..."

She stared at him, her mind swirling and her heart thumping. That was why she went home with him, and fell asleep on his shoulder, that was why she was sitting in his very swanky car crying her eyes out and it was why she was eager to buy a bed for her room in his house. 'Holy crap, it's like happy happy rainbow land in my heart right now. Who would have thought I'd feel safe with a rock star in dreads?"

"Wow."

She put the rest of her cookie in her mouth and continued to stare at him.
Wren 18 years ago
Drev took the offered cookie – he loved snickerdoodles – and munched quietly while she vented. It was what she needed to do, so he let her get it all out.
As she spoke, the anger within him grew and twisted into pity for Wren. He knew she probably didn't want his pity, didn't want anyone to feel sorry for her, but he couldn't help it. She was a beautiful person, inside and out -damn, how could he know that after two days with her? - and she did not
deserve to live in constant fear.

He wanted to tell her that he could give her these things. He could give her a safe place to stay, he could give her the security she needed. He could give her... he could give her the sex she wanted....

" Oh my God Drev, I feel safe with you..."

The words struck him with surprising force. He looked back into her eyes for what seemed hours. He tried to convey his concern, his offer of safety and security through his eyes.

"You will be safe with me," [i]he said after a long while. He shifted slightly in his seat. He could make some things happen, but it would mean opening up a bit of his past that might be better off hidden. But if she trusted him this much, he needed to trust her.

"Wren," he said softly, tentatively. "I... know... a few people." He let just a hint of his Italian accent through, and hoped she would pick up on the hidden connotations without him having to spell it out for her. "If you want, I can ask around, pull a few favors." He took a deep breath. "We may be able to find out who's doing this."
Milazo 18 years ago
Drev took the offered cookie – he loved snickerdoodles – and munched quietly while she vented. It was what she needed to do, so he let her get it all out.
As she spoke, the anger within him grew and twisted into pity for Wren. He knew she probably didn't want his pity, didn't want anyone to feel sorry for her, but he couldn't help it. She was a beautiful person, inside and out -damn, how could he know that after two days with her? - and she did not
deserve to live in constant fear.

He wanted to tell her that he could give her these things. He could give her a safe place to stay, he could give her the security she needed. He could give her... he could give her the sex she wanted....

" Oh my God Drev, I feel safe with you..."

The words struck him with surprising force. He looked back into her eyes for what seemed hours. He tried to convey his concern, his offer of safety and security through his eyes.

"You will be safe with me," he said after a long while. He shifted slightly in his seat. He could make some things happen, but it would mean opening up a bit of his past that might be better off hidden. But if she trusted him this much, he needed to trust her.

"Wren," he said softly, tentatively. "I... know... a few people." He let just a hint of his Italian accent through, and hoped she would pick up on the hidden connotations without him having to spell it out for her. "If you want, I can ask around, pull a few favors." He took a deep breath. "We may be able to find out who's doing this."
Wren 18 years ago
Wren digested what he said and let out a tiny giggle.

"You sound like the godfather."

She giggled again, but when he didn't even smile, she realized he was serious.

"Holy crap! You're in the mafia? You know what that's kind of cool. Oh if we find this guy can we like order a hit on him or something. Because that would be really cool."

Wren was only half joking, and hoped Drev didn't take offense. She wanted this guy out of her life. Wren didn't trust many people, and if she was going ot follow her gut with this one, then she would take all ofhis sides even Mafia Hit Man Drev.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't make light. Do really think you can find him? The police can't and they've tried everything. I even had a plain clothes tail for a while."

She took out another cooke, thumbprint this time, and turned to Drev.

"In all seriousness though, I want him out of my life. I don't want him dead, I'm not an evil person, i just don't want him to bother me. I'm just afraid that there are only two ways that will happen. Federal prison or death."

She sighed and took the Hershey's kiss off her cookie with her teeth.
Milazo 18 years ago
"No, I'm not in the mafia." 'Anymore,' he added silently. "But yeah, I do know some people that are much more successful than any cop or private dick can be.

"If you asked me, I'd cut the fucker down with my own Blades, and never blink an eyelash. But other arrangements can be made." He paused a moment, watching her eat her cookie.

"Do you really want this, Wren? You'd have to give up very personal information. And I would consider this a 'no other choice' kind of thing...."
Wren 18 years ago
She put the last of her cookie in her mouth and chewed slowly. It would mean a lot knowing the creep was behind bars. It worried her only a little that he would find her when he got out, but that would be years and years from now, Michigan had strict stalker laws, hence, the impressive police presence in her life.

"I don't want him killed, Drev. You have to promise me that he will be turned over to police. I need to see him go trough the system, and he needs to know that he can't get away with what he's done. He won't know that if he's dead. He'll just be worm food. Though they can rough him up a little make him fear for his life."

She put her fingers on Drev's arm, she swallowed and went forward with the thought in her head.

"If they can find him, I want to be there when he's arrested. I need to see who it is. I need to put a face to the voice so that I can put it all behind me. I have to see him, Drev."

She didn't want to let herself hope, but she just couldn't help it. He was offering her something no one else could.

"Can you really find him?"
Milazo 18 years ago
“You got it. You call the shots, alright?” Drev shifted in his seat and pulled his cell phone out. "I'll make a quick call now, and we can meet with one of my friends next monday or something. You can go over what you want, what you need, and he can ask you the questions he needs to.

"Sound good?"
Wren 18 years ago
"Yeah, actually it does."

Drev had just given her something she hadn't felt in years. Hope, pure unadulterated hope. It was like a shiny yellow bubble in her chest and she wanted to protect it with all that she had. She turned and straightened in her seat, closing the cookies and putting them back in the box. She reached into her purse to get a tissue and her hand brushed the roll of bills form her mom. It startled her and she pulled it out to stare at it. She looked up at Drev, he was speaking quietly on the phone, and she pulled the rubber band off.

The bills unwound in her hand. She pulled everything close and into a stack, and began to count. It wasn't long before she was staring at thirty-seven one hundred dollar bills, piled in her lap. Some of the bills dated to the early eighties. Her mom really had been putting money aside for her. She had no idea what to do with it. She couldn't spend it and her mother wouldn't take it back. Slowly she came round, and dug in the box for the envelope from her lawyer that contained a couple of letters she hadn't wanted to put in her safe deposit box, and put the cash inside. She would just have to figure it out later.

"So um, how about some food, I'm starving."

'Yeah see, I can do normal.'
Milazo 18 years ago
Smiling at Wren, Drev scrolled through the numbers in his phone, hit a couple buttons, then held it to his ear. After a couple rings, a deep, Italian-accented voice answered.

"Hey Paulie, it's Drev." Drev's voice automatically slipped into an Italian accent. "Yeah, I'm doin' alright. How's your ma? Great, great. Listen, remember a few years ago when I helped you and your brother carry all that furniture? Yeah, well I'm gonna have to call in that favor. Yeah. No, I'd rather meet... how about Enzo's? Good. Next Monday good for you? Yeah, that's fine. Great. Thanks, Paulie. Take it easy, and give your ma a kiss for me."

Drev turned off the phone and stuffed it back in his pocket. "Monday at Enzo's, seven p.m.?"

Drev started up the car and made his way out of the parking structure. "What are you hungry for?"
Wren 18 years ago
She nodded about Enzo's then pursed her lips as she thought about food.

"Something truly bad for me and yet comforting. Burgers? But like good burgers not burger shack or something. Know a place?"

The feeling of panic that had been fluttering in her heart seemed to melt away as Drev pulled into traffic. She was going to have a great dinner, then buy some cool stuff, then in a few days sick a tail on her stalker. Life just got a little better, plus she would get to dance at Enzo's again. Maybe Drev could teach her how to read the menu too.

It was weird and cool to be planning for a future that didn't include being afraid of her shadow. She just needed to find a job, maybe Drev had some contacts there too. she wasn't above getting a leg up, not in the least. Then again she kind of missed stripping, it was liberating in a way and she made damned good money, she might go back to it. If she could find a nice place.
Milazo 18 years ago
“Yeah, I do,” Drev said, picking up on Wren’s lightened mood. He much preferred the smiling, happy Wren to the scared, worried Wren.

They talked casually and without much importance as Drev drove to the local Fuddrucker's. Their burgers were delicious, and Drev found himself liking more with every passing moment. Yeah, it was going to be good to have a good-old-fashioned friend.

They left the restaurant with full bellies and mosied on over to a furniture store that Drev had visited once before. They had a lot of handsome, well-made furniture. The price tags reflected the quality, but then when has Drev ever fretted over a price tag? Holding the door open, he let Wren go in first to find something she liked.
Wren 18 years ago
Wren rubbed at her full belly while they walked. She went into the open door and smiled. 'Nice digs.' She'd never be able to afford this stuff, but it didn't hurt to look. She'd look, pretend she didn't like anything and then suggest they find a less expensive store.

That was her plan until she came to a bedroom set made of bamboo and carved with little leaves and when she looked close enough, panda bears. It was eccentric and silly, and she loved it. She could see a red comforter with a big fat ying-yang on it or something white with those pretty pink cherry blossoms, or she could pilfer the kids section and find something with panda bears on it.

She stepped up and picked up the discreet white tag, and nearly choked on the gum she'd put in her mouth after dinner. There was no way she could spend that much on a bed. Maybe it was for the set, so she read the rest of the tag. 'Nope just the bed. Damn.'

She'd settle for something else and save her pennies to come get this one. She touched the head board lovingly and walked away to look at some of the other pieces.

While she walked she found a really neat lamp. It was short and meant for a bed side table, it's base was a purple glass heart that looked like it could be filled with stuff. She took off the shade and gave the lightbulb part a turn. It unscrewed in her hand and lifted off. You could put anything you wanted in it. Wren though of sticking glow stick in it and giving the room an eerie glow at night. 'That would just rock!' She put the lamp back together and looked around for a salesman.