Beggars can't be choosers.

Marthinus was walking a thin line between life and death, but that was a normal day to day occurance when you're around vampires.

He dabbed the sweat off his top lip with his pocket hankerchief and tucked it back into his breast pocket. The bitter taste of his nitroglycerin pills were still lingering under his tongue. As he looked into the window of Kyle Evan's door, he decided he preferred his fate instead of Mr. Evans.

Marthinus opened the door quietly, trying not to disturb the journalist and unwilling hero. Not that Evans would have noticed from his curled up position in front of the bathroom door. Marthinus could see the sweat stains on Evan's scrub shirt and the visible tremor of his body. He walked over to Kyle. Kneeling he put his hands on Kyle who's body was shaking so hard that his teeth were chattering.

'Mr. Evans,' Marthinus said quietly. He pushed gently, moving Kyle over onto his back. The glazed look on his face was disturbing to Marthinus. 'Mr. Evans, you need to get up.'

Marthinus sighed. What a horrible price this man was paying for his bravery. The unwitting hero saving the unsung one. Kyle was quite literally at the wrong place at the wrong time and suffered for it. And now he laid half in the bathroom of an unknown place with strangers to comfort him. Marthinus pulled his hand away. It was damp with Evan's sweat. He sighed.

Kyle Evans 18 years ago
Kyle distinctly rembered trying to reach the bathroom.

He opened his eyes and then squinted them closed again. Fucking light. He was back in his hospital bed, covered with a cool linen sheet. 'Oh god,' he murmured. He smelled something awful. Kyle lifted his scrub shirt and took a whiff. 'Jesus,' he groaned and attempted to open his eyes again.

Kyle suddenly heard the russle of a paper. Turning to his left, he recognized the figure holding the newspaper in the chair next to the bed. He sat up slowly in his bed.

'Why hello Mr. Steyn, what brings you here to my little corner of hell?'
Marthinus T. Steyn 18 years ago
Marthinus had called in two of the male nurses to move Kyle back to his bed. He declined their efforts to bathe him first. Marthinus figured Kyle would rather do that on his own. Evans slept for another good 4 hours before finally waking.

And yes, he did stink.

Marthinus folded up the Times and crossed his legs. 'Just stopping by, Mr. Evans. Seeing how you were feeling. Repaying your courtesy, as it were.' Referring to Evans unscheduled visit to Marthinus while he was in the hospital.

He held out the newspaper to Evans. 'You might want to read the front page.'
Kyle Evans 18 years ago
Kyle took the newspaper from Marthinus and sat up all the way in bed. Laying the paper on his lap, he read the front page.
HILLMAN WAREHOUSE DESTROYED
Suspected terrorist activities

Then at the bottom half of the paper.

Kyle Evans, journalist for Times - Missing.

'Oh no one will see this, no one ever reads the bottom half of the front page. I might as well be on page 11 by the coupons.' Kyle sulked. He skimmed through the article, impressed with the total lack of truth. He took a deep breath and then regretted it.

'Ugh, I stink. Anyway, I told Nova I needed to call out. They're going to wonder where I am.'

Kyle climbed out of bed.
'You'll have to excuse me for a few minutes, I stink like the dead.' He stopped and snorted as he reached the doorway of the bathroom. 'No pun intended.'
Marthinus gave him a slightly humored grin. Reaching out, he folded the newspaper back neatly, reading the top half of the page again, unconsciously ignoring the bottom page.

'Well then, I guess he's right,' he said with a grin, but it faltered as a dull pain shot through his chest. A cold sweat broke over him again as he heard the shower cut on. Reaching into his pocket quickly, he took out his nitroglycerin pills, popping two again under his tongue.

He prayed he'd never have to do that in front of Simon or worse, Nova. He wasn't sure when he was going to tell them, but he was more afraid of what they might decide for him. The prospect of being anything like Evans terrified him. Never one for drugs, he never saw the value in them and definitely saw the misery that those addicted to them had.

No, he'd rather die first.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova led Alec through the hallways, only making a couple of wrong turns along the way, and between the two of them they managed to find their way to the Duibne medical center where Kyle was currently a guest.

A guest. Yeah.

She signed them in at the nurses’ station and completely ignored the ‘again?’ she got in response, instead leading them down the hall to Kyle’s room. She’d noticed that Marthinus was apparently visiting as well and was looking forward to having a little more time with her friend.

“Looks like Marthinus is here too; have you met him yet? He’s awesome, I’m sure you’ll get along.” Feeling she ought to warn Alec, she added: “Oh, by the way…Evans is a little touch and go right now. I think it’s probably part the eternity and part exhaustion but he says some pretty out there things sometimes. Don’t let it throw ya.”

Figuring she ought to take her own advice, she gave two sharp knocks to Kyle’s door before opening it and gesturing for Alec to come inside. Kyle, it seemed, was not present and the running of the shower would indicate his current occupation, but Marthinus was indeed hanging out and Nova greeted him cheerfully.

“Hey man, what’s happening?”

She was about to ask her usual question upon seeing her friend, which was something along the lines of ‘how are you feeling’, but when she took a good look at him it was clear enough that he wasn’t feeling so hot. She frowned and resisted the urge to bang her head against a wall at the odd circumstances; eternity had certainly affected both Kyle and Marthinus’s lives in very different ways. They made an interesting spectrum, in fact, but that was hardly the point.

Deciding the Duibne CEO would not take kindly to having his privacy meddled with, she bit her tongue to keep from prying, for the moment anyway, but simultaneously vowed to keep a better eye on him.
Alec Devereaux 18 years ago
Nodding at Nova's warnings, Alec almost had second thoughts about the visit. He didn't really know this guy, and if he was touchy and tweaking it might be a bad idea to set him off. Shrugging away the worry, Alec decided he should meet Marthinus at the very least. Stepping in behind Nova, he nodded his greeting, staying silent for the time being, waiting for his cues. That he could do...not interrupting was one of his best skills. He'd watch their interaction, be polite, make the deliveries and be on his way. How badly could things really go?
Looking up at the sharp knock at the door, Marthinus watched Nova enter with a gentleman behind her. Standing, he tucked his tie in and buttoned his suit jacket. He reached out, taking Nova's hand and giving her a gentle kiss on the cheek.

'Nova dear, you've returned to suffer the indiginities of Mr. Evan's personality?' He gave her a wry grin. 'And who is this fine young man with you?' Marthinus offered his hand to the smallish man behind her. 'Pleasure.'

'Our Mr. Evans is showering off, as he put it, his stink. It's been another harrowing ride on the roller coaster for him again.'
Nova 18 years ago
Nova smiled warmly at Marthinus’s greeting, resisting the urge to mutter a ‘we –really- need to talk’ in his ear as he turned to Alec. “Marthinus, Alec.”

She chuckled at Marthinus’s commentary, rolling her eyes and waving one hand. “Yeah, you’d think he was some kind of hero or something…” Realizing she’d just delivered Evans a compliment, she trailed off, looking around the room. “…Yeah, anyway.”

At Marthinus’s explanation she raised both eyebrows, wondering if there were new developments in Kyle’s condition, but she only muttered sarcastically. “Oh, so he has some common courtesy after all.”
Bowing slightly at the neck, Alec accepted the offered hand as Nova introduced them.

Good to meet you, sir.

Surprised by Nova's praise of the reporter...and Marthinus' indication that she'd been here multiple times already...reinforced by the behavior of the nurse...

Ah...well, wasn't THAT interesting. Alec filed it away for later use. If and razzing he got about Ginnie became too bad, he now had a trump card...well, if she ever came to terms with it. It was possible she hadn't noticed the alteration of pattern. Alec certainly hadn't until it became clear as day what had been going on inside his skull and Ginnie'd jumped him.

Smiling faintly and blushing a bit at the intense memory, Alec shook himself back to reality. He could daydream another time...and prod Nova into activity when they knew what was to be done with Kyle. It was possible she was stifling the crush in case he didn't want to join the team...that was somewhat understandable. It just made Alec hope that he wasn't the fixer sent to handle the job should things fall that way.

Paying attention to matters more closely at hand, Alec thought to extend his senses slightly...maybe he'd pick up on extra cues...and then he thought better of it. Too many antiseptics and scents of decay. They would be more distracting than illuminating, and could be coming from elsewhere. Filtering through it all could cause him to miss a social cue, and that's more what he needed to work on these days, anyway. Settling back against the wall for a bit of a wait, Alec watched Nova and Marthinus...and remembered to blink.
Kyle Evans 18 years ago
Kyle shut off the shower and cautiously stepped out. He grabbed a towel and begun to dry off slowly, not wanting to cause another spill to the floor...what would be the point, Nova was there to catch him. Bending over, drying off his legs, he realized he was grinning while thinking of Nova.

He shot up straight and made a face.

'...he was some kind of hero or something…'

Kyle turned his head. Ah, speak of the evil devil woman. Was she complimenting him?

“Oh, so he has some common courtesy after all.”

No, guess not. He grabbed another clean pair of scrub pants and slipped them on. Then grabbing the shirt, he walked out. He took a step and stopped.

'Where's the skirt?'

Walking up to Nova, he stopped behind her.
'I said wear a skirt, babe.' Then, just to annoy her, because for some reason it was what he was alive to do, he smacked her on the butt and then moved out of range quickly, slipping his shirt on with a grin.

Marthinus shut his eyes, when Kyle came out of the shower half dressed and landed a rather loud slap on Nova's backside. Her body was moved about a half a foot up into the air, either by the force of his swing or her startled response.

He peeked and saw Evans giving her a large grin. Marthinus closed his eyes again.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova turned to glare at the object of their discussion when he made his entrance, rolling her eyes at his lack of shirt.

“Looks like you forgot an article of clothing yourself, Mister.”

She turned to make a snide remark to Alec in the way of introductions but was quite cut off by the slap to her ass.

“Jesus Christ Evans, you really –do- have a death wish!”

While Kyle’s gesture was one that few people would have the balls to do, especially coupled with his particular demand that she wear a skirt, Nova found she was having a little trouble minding. Smacking around was okay, a push here, a shove there, it was all good, it was guy speak and comfortable and just violent enough to not be disconcerting.

At least he hadn’t –looked- at her again.

It was also, she found, somewhat morbidly fascinating to meet a man so completely reckless with his own safety. God, hadn’t he learned –anything-? She figured he’d probably been getting his ass kicked for his mouth since grade school and just kept going at it.

She refused to admit they were at all alike in that respect.

Still, there was something to be said for keeping up self respecting appearances, and she plotted while going through the formalities, dropping the bag heavily on the ground and kicking it against the foot of the bed.

“I brought your stuff.” She gestured toward Alec. “This is Alec; he wanted to meet the guy who saved the fucking day.”

That was about all the patience she had for pleasantries, and she crossed her arms over her chest, fixing Kyle with a glare.
Marthinus eyes grew wide. He had been waiting for Nova to hit him so hard that she'd dislocate Evans jaw, if not break it in several places...but instead she...glared at him? He looked back between the two. Evans with his evil grin and Nova with her annoyed glare.

'My my,' he mumbled.
Kyle Evans 18 years ago
He looked at her, positively disgusted with him. God he almost squealed with delight. Kyle looked at the new guy in the room and nodded at him.

'Nice to meet you Alec. I see our Nova has been regailing you with my heroic antics.' He leaned in and whispered with a wink, 'I think she crushing on me.' He straightened his shirt and sighed happily. He really was enjoying himself teasing her.

'So what did ya bring me?!' He happily pounced on the bag and unzipped its contents. 'Ooooh.'

Kyle pulled out several paperbacks, most of which Nova apparently pulled from his bedside table. He grinned unconsciously about her being in his bedroom. 'K so some underwear,' he looked up at Nova and winked, 'toothbrush...electric razor...and,' he made a face and pulled out something that perplexed him.

'My...dayglow orange...t-shirt from college that I haven't worn in over fifteen years.' He held it up against his chest. 'I'm not even sure this thing fits.' Kyle gave Nova an odd look.

'My entire wardrobe is blue, black or gray...yet you bring me a red shirt and,' he reached in and pulled out the final item. 'Irish...spring?' He put them on the bed.

'You so want me, I can tell.'
'And on that terrifying note, I think I will bid you all farewell.' He gave the three a cordial nod and turned towards the door. 'Nova, I will see you later, I hope?' Marthinus nodded towards Alec and just shook his head with a grin at Evans.

He decided not to warn him to behave around Nova, that probably only would've encouraged him.

((Marthinus out pending response))
Watching for Nova's reflex violent response at the ass slap, Alec smirked...for a moment, then his jaw dropped. No reaction? Wow.

Looking to Marthinus, Alec noted that he wasn't the only one somewhat shocked by this development. The validation was certainly necessary, given the circumstances. "Well, the guy's got cheek, I'll give him that much, even if he does have a pretty complex death wish...should be perfect."

Chuckling, Alec nodded in greeting. At his whisper, he muttered back

Most definitely...but pretend like you don't know yet, she's trying to play hard to get.

Watching the antics, Alec smiled. You could almost not help yourself...he seemed to be one of those people who was hard not to like. Of course, people were bringing him presents, he'd just survived what had to have been one of the worst days of his life...bound to be feeling a little up, even for a short while. Hopefully the crash wouldn't be too bad.

Nodding his goodbye to Marthinus, Alec held the door for him. He imagined that being around such...boisterous...conversants as Kyle and Nova would be exhausting to someone his age...but Alec would never know. At the same time, there was also a good chance of him hearing things that more aged individuals might not want to hear about. Understandable.

Actually, I brought some things that I thought you might want to have around, too. Not useless stuff like underpants, mind you.

Reaching into his bag, Alec pulled out a graphing calculator, modified for voice recognition and with plotting capability. Tossing it to Kyle, Alec laughed.

See, we've already met, indirectly...and it is a good thing you're as lucky as you are or our man Simon'd be toast. That's to make sure the next time I give you angles and measurements you can follow them. Oh, and it makes balancing a checkbook a cinch...just got to read the information off instead of punching those tiny little buttons. Well, for folks that need the calculator, anyway. Anyway, that's so you don't have to trust to luck the next time, and can be pure hero.

Grinning, Alec reached into the bag again, and pulled out a bottle of Jack Daniels.

And from what Nova was telling me about your personality, this WAS going to be for you, but we'll save it for your guests, since...what was it..."his personality is a permanent affliction"...something like that. That's how I knew she was taken with you...the rudeness was too refined.

Winking, Alec placed the bottle next to the chair Marthinus had been sitting in. He wondered what the reaction to the calculator would be...whatever was in store would certainly not be normal, that's for sure.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova thought she was doing quite well with her ice queen glare, in spite of Kyle and Alec’s little exchange (though that little turncoat was –so- going to get it later) until he got to the shirt.

“What? It’s a nice shirt, you’re fucking welcome!”

Her nostrils flared when Evans made a big fucking deal over the soap, but she forced her temper down to a reasonable level of wrathful fury when she spoke, her voice low and throaty.

“Well Evans…you seemed to like Irish Spring…”

She walked closer, slowly, never taking her eyes off Kyle, and continued in her low voice.

“And…you’re right…she swallowed hard and forced herself to say his name…Kyle. I can’t keep it inside any longer.” She rested one hand on each shoulder, looking deep into his eyes. “I want you…” shoving him as hard as she could, which was pretty darn hard, she let her voice resume its normal tone. “to shut your fucking mouth.”

Not caring where Kyle landed, she turned and walked back toward the door to stand next to Alec, who was now presenting Evans with his present.

And damn if it wasn’t a good one. Not that she would ever need such a device, of course, but still. Good present.

She was about to comment on it, in fact, when Alec added his oh so helpful commentary. She fixed Alec with her death glare, which she was beginning to question the effectiveness of.

“You! Legs! Break! Ass! Kick!”

Hoping a vague hand gesture would fill in the many gaps of that sentence, she snatched up the bottle of JD.

“And I’ll just take that!”
Kyle Evans 18 years ago
“Well Evans…you seemed to like Irish Spring…” Nova said.

He gave her his best Rhett Butler smirk which faltered when suddenly she started to step closer to him. Hazel eyes, giving him 'the look' made him suddenly lose his train of thought.

“And…you’re right…Kyle. I can’t keep it inside any longer.”

Kyle's eyes went wide when she reached out and touched his shoulder, but he blurted out a 'wha?' when she said the next thing.

“I want you…” And that's when the room went topsy turvy. She shoved him, pretty damn hard, which was hard for a vampire, and he fell onto the bed...then promptly bounced right off it, onto the ground.

“...to shut your fucking mouth,' she finished.

From the ground he mumbled,
'I love it when you're rough, Nova. Turns me on.' He slowly stood and Alec started to speak.

Kyle's eyes narrowed at Alec when he started to explain his get well gifts. 'You.'

This was the goober that gave him the directions, the same goober he swore to punch dead in the face when he met him, which he was. Kyle's mouth opened to start yelling when Alec pulled out the bottle of Jack Daniels.

'Uh...' A cold sweat hit him like a freight train. His eyes stayed on the bottle as the other man set it down. Kyle didn't hear a thing that he said or even notice Marthinus leaving. He just saw that bottle.

'Um..' He swallowed. Hard. Kyle blinked, trying to clear his suddenly hazy vision. If felt like the withdrawl he was feeling from the drug, but it wasn't nearly as painful...but the want was there and it was so bad he shook.

'I...' Kyle tried to say he didn't drink, but he just couldn't form the words. Suddenly he felt himself reaching out for the bottle, his eyes on the amber liquid, rolling around the glass inside like the blood red eternity in the cylinder. Kyle had one more coherent thought before falling deep into the trance of alcoholism.

Man, what a fucked up week I'm having.

He picked up the bottle and it's cold glass sent a familiar chill over his body...then it was gone...and in Nova's grubby hands.

'HEY!?'

“And I’ll just take that!” Nova snapped.

Kyle's hands curled into claws again and he contemplated strangling her. Instead he grabbed the bottle back from Nova with a rather indignant look.

'It's MINE...just bring it, sister.'
Nova 18 years ago
Nova’s eyes narrowed dangerously when Kyle snatched the bottle back from her.

“Oh, you like it rough, do you? I’ll give you rough!”

With that, she charged, rushing Evans like an angry bull and knocking him flat on his back. The fact that she went down with him was no deterrent at all; she simply sat on his chest and pinned down his free arm with one hand. Triumphantly, she reached for the bottle with the other, at the same time looking over somewhat apologetically at Alec.

“Er…he doesn’t drink, you see.”
Alec watched with interest as Nova approached Kyle...he hadn't planned on being AROUND for their big revelation, but...ah...nevermind. Kyle was briefly airborne before landing on the bed...oop, and off and ow...into the wall almost but down to the floor.

Wow...good bounce, Nova.

Watching Kyle's reaction, Alec had NO clue what to make of it. It was like he was kind of upset about the calculator for a second, but then it just evaporated and then he clammed up.

And then they were fighting again. Taking a step back, Alec chuckled. He didn't want to get pulled into that mess.